15 | The Song

My Perfect Stranger
✗ Kim Rima ✗
 
"Rima? Is it you?" Yoorin is right behind Junhyung and Eric is standing next to her. Junhyung turns around and I bet he is really confused now.
 
A girl who is supposed to be Kim Rima is standing in front of us and she just called my name clearly. Even I am speechless right now because I have no idea about what I should say.
 
"You...," Junhyung turns to Yoorin and then to me, "...know each other?"
 
"I know it's you!" Yoorin approaches me and hugs me. She whispers to my ear, "Does your date here know that I'm pretending to be you?"
 
When she has let go of me, I give her a glare and shake my head slowly, an answer of her question. She chuckles and holds my hands, "It's good to know you're here for me!"
 
"Rima?" Eric calls out my name and I glance at him due to my reflex; well, he calls my name after all. He must be calling Yoorin instead of me...
 
...but I guess I was wrong.
 
"Rima?" Eric steps closer to me while Yoorin steps aside. He takes off my mask so he can see my face. He smiles and takes my right hand to kiss it, causing me to try really hard not to blush, "It's really you..."
 
Wait. Does he know that I'm the real Kim Rima?
 
Suddenly Junhyung pulls me away from Eric, wrapping his arm around my shoulders, "Your fiancee is not this Rima, but that Rima."
 
Eric frowns with obvious annoyance on his face as he asks, "And this man is..."
 
"Your boyfriend, perhaps?" Yoorin chirps in, making my eyes to widen in shock. Can she just stay silence and not mess everything?
 
Yoorin walks to my back and holds Junhyung's arms until he lets go of me. I turn around to see Yoorin is ready to take off his mask, "If he is not your boyfriend, who is he then?"
 
When Junhyung tries to stop Yoorin from taking off his mask, my instinct works even before I think. I push Junhyung away from Yoorin and clutch his shirt, burying my face on his chest.
 
"Don't...," I murmur vividly, making sure that Yoorin can hear me. "Don't take more from me. I mean it."
 
I have enough with the fact that she is taking my place and my name for now. I don't want her to mess up my current life; I'm pretty sure she is not going to stay still if she knows that I'm attending a party with an idol.
 
"I have enough...," Yoorin states and I loosen my hug to take  glance of her. She smirks and mumbles, "...for now."
 
Yoorin links her arm with Eric and leads him back to the house. Eric flashes a smile to me before they disappear from my sight, leaving me and Junhyung alone.
 
"You know them?" Junhyung asks me calmly when I'm putting on my mask again. "Is that why you come to this party with Gikwang?"
 
"Yes," I avoid his eyes, trying to keep myself busy with my mask. "Kim Rima is my friend and she gave me an invitation."
 
"Why did that man act as if he's not an ordinary friend then?" Junhyung asks me again but I have a good answer to give him this time.
 
"It's a manner. Remember that I hugged you as a thank you manner before? Let's just say that we follow Western custom," I turn on my heels, ready to return to the house to find my father. "Just go back, okay? I will return as soon as possible."
 
I'm sorry, Junhyung. I'm sorry that I need to lie to you.
 
 
✗ Lee Gikwang ✗
 
When the song has stopped, I just realize that Rima is not in the main hall. Her cousin, I think her name is Yoorin, just returned from outside with Eric. They announce that the dinner can start now so the guests start to queue and grab the food.
 
I take out my phone to call her but then I just realize that I still haven't asked Rima's number yet. I sigh and look around, hoping that I will find her somehow.
 
While the guests are enjoying the dinner, Yoorin plays the piano, showing us her skill of playing classical music instrument.
 
Come to think of it, I never saw Rima played any musical instrument before. Maybe I need to ask her to play for me later. I believe that she can play really good considering that she has absolute pitch.
 
A conversation between two persons who I just passed by catches my attention. I stop my step and observe them, realizing that the woman who wears the white mask is Yujin, the one who I met at the bookstore before with Rima. The other man is Mr Kim, Rima's father.
 
"What will they say if Rima finally returns?" Yujin asks with concern, handing over a glass of juice to Mr Kim. "This is not a good idea, Mr Kim. I hope you consider about-"
 
"Rima will return sooner or later," Mr Kim cuts in coldly. "She can't do anything without me, Yujin. She will soon realize that she can only rely on me, his only family."
 
"But-" Yujin wants to complaint again but Mr Kim gives her a glare, a sign that he doesn't want to continue the talk.
 
When Yujin has excused herself to check the kitchen, I encourage myself to approach Mr Kim; I don't know where Rima is right now but if she can't talk to him, maybe I can try to talk to him.
 
"Mr Kim?" I call him and he turns to look at me with a frown. "Can we talk?"
 
"In private," I quickly add before he can reply me.
 
I hope he is not going to be mad because I intrude his family issue. I hope Rima will forgive me from taking a step without her permission.
 
I hope everything will turn out good.
 
 
✗ Yong Junhyung ✗
 
I don't obey Rima's request. I stay at the party while she is looking for Gikwang. My heart aches real bad when I remember our conversation outside.
 
"Is it that bad if I want to be with him? Am I not allowed to like him?"
 
Why can I accept the fact that she likes Gikwang? She even has said it out loud in front of me.
 
This heartache... Is it possible that I fall for Rima?
 
For a stranger who I knew for only two weeks? For a stranger who just helps me according to our deal? For a stranger who...
 
...who has made me smile when I saw her smile.
 
"It's a manner. Remember that I hugged you as a thank you manner before?"
 
So the reason she hugged me before is just because of a manner. It's not that she has a special feeling for me. She feels nothing for me. I'm sure the hug she just gave before is only to stop Kim Rima from taking off my mask.
 
"Well, I guess it's enough from me," Kim Rima stops playing the piano while the guests applause for her great performance; though I think Rima is better than her. "I want to let someone special for me to perform on this special day. For me and my fiancee."
 
Both of me and Rima stop walking around when Kim Rima lands her eyes on Rima and announces, "I want to ask my dearest friend there, who wears the beautiful pink dress, to come on the stage and sing a song for us."
 
Rima blink in confusion while all guests turn to look at her. Kim Rima approaches her and drags her to the piano. Rima turns to look at me with pleading eyes, as if she is trying to tell me to help her but what can I do?!
 
"Any song will do," Kim Rima mutters and then steps backwards, standing side by side with her fiancee. "Let's give my friend a big applause, ladies and gentlemen."
 
There is no music sheet in front of her but I know it's not a problem for her since she can memorize all songs quickly. All I'm thinking right now is... can she sing?
 
I can see she takes a deep breath before she puts her delicate fingers on the piano tunes. Her fingers start to dance in harmony, playing a song and, for my surprise, her voice completes the melodies.
 
"Your little hands wrapped around my finger
And it's so quiet in the world tonight
Your little eyelids flutter 'cause you're dreaming
So I tuck you in, turn on your favorite night light"
 
Her voice is not as great as some other vocalists I know but her voice is beautiful. I must admit that she lacks some aspects in her singing skill but something about her captivates me.
 
It's not only me.
 
All guests are watching her in silence, letting her voice and the piano melodies to echo through the hall.
 
    
"To you, everything's funny
You got nothing to regret
I'd give all I have, honey
If you could stay like that"
    
I realize what makes her voice is so captivating and beautiful even though she is not a singer.
 
She puts her soul in the song through her voice.
 
 
✗ Lee Gikwang ✗
 
"So you're asking me to cancel this engagement?" Mr Kim raises his eyebrow, giving me a questioning look after I finished my explanation. "Is that right, Lee Gikwang?"
 
Mr Kim asked me to follow him to the second floor and I introduced myself properly; I even told him that I am a member of an idol group. He looked surprised but didn't say a word, letting me to continue my story.
 
I told him that his daughter is currently helping BEAST with composing music for our new album. I also explained to him that Rima is currently trying really hard to convince him about her passion in music. This engagement decision is too complicated for her future.
 
"What I'm trying to say here is you need to talk with Rima," I explain briefly. "She has a talent and, trust me, she can do better if you give her your support."
 
Mr Kim turns around, giving his back to me while he looks at someone who just sits behind the piano. I immediately recognize that it's Rima; what is she doing there?
 
My heart feels a tug when Rima starts singing and playing the piano beautifully. Even though her voice is surely not the best I ever heard, she puts her heart in singing the song.
 
"I know this song," Mr Kim murmurs and a sincere smile forms on his lips. "Two years ago I gave the album with this song as her birthday present because I heard the album is the best-seller. I asked Yujin to give it to her and told her that it's not me who gave her though. I have no idea what she would say if she knows I gave it to her."
 
"Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple
I won't let nobody hurt you
Won't let no one break your heart
No, no one will desert you
Just try to never grow up
Never grow up"
 
"I still remember the first time she sang a song for me when I established my first office years ago," Mr Kim never takes his eyes off of Rima as she continues to sing. "It's the happiest moment in my life, other than my wedding day and the day Rima born, of course."
 
I can't help myself to smile because I know he is remembering those happy moments in his mind.
 
"You're in the car on the way to the movies
And you're mortified your mom's dropping you off
At 14, there's just so much you can't do
And you can't wait to move out someday and call your own shots
But don't make her drop you off around the block
Remember that she's getting older, too
And don't lose the way that you dance around
In your PJs getting ready for school"
 
"When my wife left me, I felt really useless. When Rima told me that she wanted to be a musician, as much as I want to support her, I don't want her to leave," Mr Kim takes a really deep breath and I can see his eyes are teary. "I thought I could protect her forever with my own hands."
 
"Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple
No one's ever burned you
Nothing's ever left you scarred
And even though you want to
Just try to never grow up"
 
"Her voice is really beautiful, isn't it?" he asks softly and I can't believe that this is the person who Rima described as the selfish and stubborn businessman who only cares about money and hates music.
 
"Take pictures in your mind of your childhood room
Memorize what it sounded like when your dad gets home
Remember the footsteps, remember the words said
And all your little brother's favorite songs
I just realized everything I have
Is someday gonna be gone"
 
"I just want to make her smile like how she always did the moment I called her my little princess," he mumbles with wavering voice. "Just that simple."
 
"So here I am in my new apartment
In a big city, they just dropped me off
It's so much colder than I thought it would be
So I tuck myself in and turn my night light on
Wish I'd never grown up
I wish I'd never grown up"
 
"She is my little princess," Mr Kim fixes his glasses position. "Always will be my little princess."
 
"Oh, I don't wanna grow up, wish I'd never grown up
Could still be little
Oh, I don't wanna grow up, wish I'd never grown up
It could still be simple"
 
I cover my mouth with my right hand, realizing that my eyes start to be watery when Mr Kim sings along with Rima softly.
 
"Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple
Won't let nobody hurt you
Won't let no one break your heart
And even though to you want to
Please try to never grow up"
 
Rima can't hear her father's voice but since I'm up here, I can hear their voices blend together.
 
Not perfect but they complete each other.
 
"Don't you ever grow up
Never grow up
Just never grow up"
 
Rima stops singing and I hold my breath, feeling that my tears are threatening to fall.
 
"Gikwang, right?" Mr Kim straightens his body and looks at me, having a smile of a father on his face. "Can I ask you a favor?"
 
__________
 
Author's Note:
 
The title of the song Rima plays is "Never Grow Up" by Taylor Swift, from her 3rd album "Speak Now".
It's a really beautiful song that reminds me about various things, depends on how you think about them.




For me, it will be the things I think about one day when I have a child in the future.
Perhaps I will hope the same like Rima's father: how to protect my dear one and let my beloved child to stay just like the way he/she is.

This song also reminds me that even though sometimes my parents scold me harshly,
they do it because they love me.
Just like what Rima's father is doing; he loves his daughter, more than Rima can ever imagine.

Do you dislike Mr Kim at the first because he is being the stubborn, old-fashioned, and selfish father who doesn't want to understand his daughter?

*spoiler alert :
I want to show that a father also loves us with his unconditional love; I showed the one of Mother's love in So Sweet, So Simple. ;)*

Thank you for reading the story up till now. :)