We meet again

The Chances of Falling in Love

          Jane and Jason were getting ready to head out of their hotel and set their feet outside. 

It was cold out this morning and the two wore big comfy jackets, scarfs, and gloves to keep warm. The streets were filled with snow as the cars passed by slowly in traffic. 

Jason takes a breath, "Alright, where should we start?" He looks at Jane, "Should we just walk around and see where we'll end up?"

"Hopefully we don't get lost and find our way back. There's so much to see around here too." Jane replies. 

He holds her hand as they begin to stroll through the busy streets. Men and women were dressed in business coats and others dressed warmly doing their own business. 

It was close to Christmas and sales were going crazy seeing mothers and youngsters buying presents. Bags and bags were hand in hand of people as they called for a taxi. Their day went on going from store to store just looking around. They went to the plaza where another gigantic Christmas tree stood high towards the sky. The snow from last night left an even more real-life effect on the tree. Huge boxes of presents laid under the tree wrapped in gold, red, green, and ribbons. Around the tree, people took pictures together laughing in joy. 

Jane couldn't help but feel off. Christmas was just a few weeks to her and she couldn't believe it that she's spending another Christmas two years into the future - her future. It's every kids' dream to have Christmas almost everyday but not in Jane's current condition. 

"Are you okay?" Jason asks her.

"I'm fine, just a little cold that's all..."

"Let's go somewhere warm then. Just sit for awhile and talk." He smiles at her holding her hand tightly.

He brought her into a cafe shop with a sign on the window showing a mug of hot chocolate with Christmas specials for sale. Inside the floor was covered in bamboo wood. In the middle of the shop were rounded tables and against the walls and windows were rectangular tables. People of all kinds were sitting either alone on their phone, laptop or with partners and groups enjoying their time. The whole Cafe was filled and there was almost no where to sit. 

A lady with a bun wearing a navy blue apron came towards Jane and Jason smiling, "Good morning how are you two?"

Jason smiles back, "We're fine."

"Would you guys like to take a Christmas couple special?"

"Uh, sure. Why not?" He chuckles as the lady treats them to any table they'd like to sit at. At the side of the room, a girl was sitting alone looking through her pictures in her camera. 

Jason and Jane came to the table the girl was at, "Mind if we sit with you?" Jason asks politely.

She looks up towards the two with her grey silver eyes and brushing her strawberry blonde hair away from her face. She grins widely, "Sure! Yes, have a seat. I don't mind at all."

The two sat down and Jane apologized for sitting with the woman out of no where. The female didn't mind and she suddenly flashed her camera towards Jane and Jason taking a picture of them.

"I'm sorry." She said, "It's just that you two are very beautiful together. I have a habit of taking photos."

"It's okay." Jane said smiling.

"I'm Eve. And you two?"

"Jane."

"Jason" They replied. 

"Nice to meet you two." Eve says, "I can't help but envy you both."

Jason snickers, "Why is that? Do you have somebody in mind?"

Eve just grins from ear to ear, her cheeks bursting red, "There is someone but his story, I want to know about his story more. We would talk time to time but it seems like he's never interested in love. It's as if he's fallen into spell to never fall in love." She began to giggle, "Or perhaps he likes men." She joked. "But still, there were times we would talk about our lives. He told me that he promised to not fall in love but eventually he did. The only thing that bothered him was that he couldn't be with her. She already had someone by her side. It's quite sad because he never told me the reason why he wouldn't love her or fight back for her."

Jane was immersed by the way Eve cherishes the way the man she likes and wanting to know more about him. Her voice was soothing to hear as if she and him were meant to be but he doesn't remember. Some of Eve's word even reminded her of someone but she couldn't pinpoint who it involves to. 

"Do you two still talk?" Jane asks quickly with her eyes open filled with curiosity. 

Eve laughs, "Time to time." She gazes towards the counter, "Look, there he is." Her eyes pointed towards the man wearing a beanie and an apron working on the drinks for the customers. 

Jane couldn't get a good look at the man but he looks so familiar yet so different compared to someone. 

Eve continues, "Isn't he just handsome. He's sweet, charming, a joker, it's almost everything you can find in a dream guy. Well mine." 

The bell rings and the lady from before shouts out, "Christmas Couple Special!" She looks around and sees Jane and Jason. The lady pats the man in the beanie, "Table six Cody."

"Yes Ma'am." Cody receives the couple order that is filled with cookie decorations, two cups of hot coffee, and a delighted fresh strawberry shortcake along with chocolate hearts. He began to walk towards the table. 

Once he reaches the table he places down the tray, "Your Christmas Couple Special is served." He turns his head to see Jane. He kept his calm when inside he wanted to hug her and embrace her. Instead he acted as if she were just another customer. 

Eve stood up from her seat, "Cody. Hi" She waves her hand at him as he waves back.

"Eve, you're back. Do you know them?" He asks her eyeing the two.

"Oh no, I just met them today - right now. Aren't they a beautiful couple? I wish I was like that with someone." Eve tried to get his attention but his eyes were fixed on Jason.

"Yeah...they are a beautiful couple." He clears his throat. "Eve, don't wish for something that doesn't come so easy. A wish can't be fulfilled even if it takes a thousand years."

Eve couldn't believe the words coming out of him. She felt disappointed in him hearing such dark words. "Well I'm sorry that every girls' wish is to just fall in love. You're not like yourself today Cody."

"Sorry Eve, I think I've told you many times, falling in love isn't on my wish list." Cody turns towards Jane and Jason, "I'm sorry for the disturbance of your meal. Please enjoy before your coffee before it becomes cold." He left without another word. 

Eve turns towards the two, "I'm sorry. It isn't like Cody. I don't know what's on his mind today. Sometimes it's just hard to read him."

Jane and Jason sat in silence. She only stares at the coffee cup looking thoughtless. She couldn't express the words that were running through her head. Jason sighs heavily as he runs his hand through his hair. Eve couldn't understand what was going on. Did she do something wrong? She thought

Was it because she and Cody had a small argument that disturbed the couple's space? Eve didn't know what to say or do. She got up with her camera in her hand.

"I'm so sorry for whatever I did. I-I'll take my leave then."

Jane took Eve by the hand, "Wait!" Her eyes were filled with crystallized mist, "How do you know Cody?"

"Two years ago out at the park where he would always sing." She says lowly, sitting back down as Jane loosens Eve's wrist.

"Two years ago?"

Eve only nods her head. Eve felt like this girl Jane that she just met knew much more of Cody than she did herself. 

Jason stood up, "Let's leave Jane. I think we've warmed up enough."

"Wait Jason. Please tell me that's not the Cody I think it is."

He grabs her hand and tugs her out from the seat, "It's not the Cody you know."

"Do you two know about Cody?" Eve bursts out towards them.

Cody could hear them behind the counter. He wondered to himself if he should check up on them and resolve everything. He didn't want them to make a ruckus at his workplace. 

"We know nothing about him!" Jason exclaims. 

 

"Stop. Please." Cody said towards the three of them. The peaceful sweet voice of his was back. "Can't we all just get along? Like seriously, so what if it's been two years? To think we were going to see each other again. I wasn't planning this to happen." He explains.

Jason glares at him but stops, just seeing the smile on Cody's face, he knew he was forcing it. He gave in. 

"Let's talk." Jason says. Cody gladly invites Jason to other side of the cafe where they sat at a table alone in the corner farther from Eve and Jane.

Together the two took a good look at each other. 

"You haven't changed a bit." Cody states.

"You've been working out a little I see." He says glancing at Cody's built muscles.

"It's just to keep a stable health. What did you want to talk about?"

"Nothing much," He crosses his arms. "How are your parents?"

Cody chocked up on his words, "A-A lot of things can happen in two years. Let's not talk about them."

"Um, okay then. How about your health?"

"Same as before, it's barely getting any better and I'm heading nowhere near surviving."

Jason sighs, "Why do you have to put it that way? You've become colder but you still sounded like the old you from Eve's perspective."

"Oh please, she's just a friend. I know she likes me but I can't do the same back to her. She doesn't know my secret."

"So you're going to treat her the same way as you did to Jane. Keeping yourself a secret and wait till another accident happens."

"It's not what you think. It's far more different than what you think. Everyone around us thinks I'm leading her on. Which I most definitely am not."

"You sure about that." Jason chuckles looking back to the table where the girls were.

"Let me talk to Jane."

"No."

"That was a quick reply."

"Serves you right anyways. First you go off kissing my girl on Christmas and what? Are you going to kiss her again this upcoming Christmas?"

"I will if I want to but I know she won't like it. Seeing that you two are together like before, she must have woken up for awhile now."

"I'll end our conversation here." Jason demands. "Just keep your distance away from us. You live your secretive life and I'll live my life with Jane."

Cody stood up, "Can't I at least have some happiness in life? Talking to Jane for once is enough for me and I can wait another two more years if I have too."

"Good wait for another two years then."

Jason stood up and began to walk. 

"My parents died..." Cody said. Jason stops and turns around.

"Quit playing around about death Cody just because you're on the verge."

Cody laughs sarcastically, "You think I would joke about death. Hello, I'm the one who wished to be dead two years ago. They're my parents, why would I joke something like that?"

"I'm sorry." He muted himself and felt bad that he was so thoughtless. 

"It's not very fun living alone. Alone with barely any friends to visit and stay home, work, get check ups, repeating over and over again. Just let me talk to her for once."

Jason just walks away in silent as Cody drops back down to his seat. He rests his forehead on his hands looking downwards to his shoes. Just a minute later he felt someone's presence sit in front of him. 

"Cody?"

The voice he always wanted to hear after waiting for two long years. He raises his head seeing Jane's beautiful face that hasn't changed a bit. 

"Jane." He smiles as she gave him a quirky smile.

"It must feel like years for you but it feels like you've changed into a whole different person in just a few weeks after Christmas day."

"Really? How so?"

"Hmm...your clothes, your more built than scrawny from before," He smiles listening to her words while she thought and stares at him for awhile. Before she realizes, she smiles, "Your hair! Yes that's what was so different about you. Why did you shave it?"

Cody laughs, "Just wanted to try a new style. And I'm loving it." He didn't want to tell her. Not yet. 

"Really? Well I guess it does sorta suits you in a way."

"When are you two leaving New York?" He asks.

"After Christmas, say, if you've been living here for over two years, why don't you and Eve give us a tour."

Cody shook his head, "Oh no, no, no. Not me - Eve. She's lived here longer and takes about a thousand pictures a day."

"It's be more fun if you are there though. You know, a double-date."

"Haha, me going on a double date with you and Jason and with Eve. Yeah it's not happening."

"Why not? What's so wrong about Eve? It seems like she really likes you."

"Yeah I know. I think everyone knows because she's pretty obvious. But she's unique in a way. The pictures she takes everyday, she turns them into murals. Each picture is like a puzzle piece to her and she uses them to make a mural of something else you can't even think of becomes she doesn't know where to end it yet."

Jane smiles, "You seem to know her very well."

"Two years of knowing her, of course I do. But me, not very much in a lot of ways. So do you."

"What do I not know about you?"

"Hey, everybody's got their own secret."

"The same words that came out of your mouth when we first met." Jane laughs. Cody wasn't expecting much from saying the same words but he was in awe to hear her remember about their conversation from long ago.

"You still remember."

"Of course. You were like the first person and friend that has ever talked in a normal conversation with me."

"That's nice to hear. I thought you would forget, you know after all that life drama the three of us have been through."

She was silent and stood up as Cody did the same. 

"Well, it's been nice to see you again Cody. I hope you can still show us around with Eve."

"We'll see, we'll see...lets get back them."

They walked back to where Jason and Eve were.

Jason stood up stretching his arms, "Did you two have a good conversation?"

Jane nods, "Yeah, I was just asking Cody if he and Eve could show us around sometime this week."

"I would love too." Eve blurted smiling.

Cody folds his arms together, "I wasn't planning on going."

"Why not Cody?" Jason states, "Why don't the four of us go on a trip together? It'll be fun. Have a couple of drinks and fun." He winks at Cody giving him memories of the party when Cody got drunk.

"I don't know about drinking. I can't drink."

"Yeah right."

"Good-bye." Cody says leading Jason and Jane out the door with smiles.

Cody then quickly pulls Jane into his arms and hugs her tightly as if it were the last hug.

He whispers into her ear and words filled with sadness were exploding silently made her tears drop but she didn't know why his words sounded so hurt and cold.

"I'm sorry. Lets not meet again."

 

**To Be Continued**