It's a goodbye

The Chances of Falling in Love

Jane wanted to be held in Cody's arm forever. It seemed to her like Christmas was repeating within such a short week. The feelings she had gained for him in such a short amount of time. But for some reason, she couldn't move forward with Cody. 

"I'm sorry." Cody says letting her go and leaving the room. He felt awkward by his own actions. Why did he do it? He felt stupid for letting his feelings take of him. He knew what kind of person Jason was if he were to find out. He'll beat the living out of Cody. Cody moves over to the kitchen table and sits there tapping his fingers onto the table. He left Jane alone in the room, he didn't want to look at her or even speak to her. 

She came out holding her arms, he could hear her gulping as if she wanted to say something to him. 

"Cody-"

"Don't start. Jason's coming right now."

"But I-" 

He kept cutting her off, "You don't need to apologize. I was stupid for doing what I did earlier."

The doorbell rung and Cody quickly stood up to his feet. Walking past Jane, his scent of smoke disturbed her. 

"You're here." Cody says. Jane could hear Jason's voice and his footsteps enter the apartment.

"Thanks, Cody. I'll be taking her back now." As he walks in, he leans towards Cody and sniffs the nap of his neck. "You reek of cigars and alcohol."

"It's what happens when you stress. You know you've been through it too." 

Jason smiles, "I quit smoking. Two years ago." He lays a hand on Cody's shoulder, "You should stop too, your health."

Cody chuckles lowly, "Like my time isn't going to extend."

Jason only shook his head and shouted for Jane. "Jane! Lets go. " He sees her standing in the middle of the room and grabs her by the hand. He held it gently and pulled her towards him. She couldn't bear to look at Cody. "I guess we'll be off now." Jason say. 

Cody only nods and guides them the way out. The door shuts and Jason hugs her tightly. 

"How can you be so stupid Jane? I was worried."

"If you were worried you would've called."

"I did about a thousand times. But you didn't pick up at all." He locks his arms with hers. 
Off they went down to the lobby then to the front of building.

"You knew?" Jane started.

He was confused at her words. The look in her eyes didn't seem like it was about good news. "Yeah I knew."

"Do you even know what I'm talking about?"

He gulps. Cold sweat was running down his neck, "It's about Cody isn't?"

She clenches her fists and couldn't look into his eyes. Biting her lips, she makes her way down the hall eventually running and never wanting to stop. Jason goes after her catching up and holding her tightly by the arm. She was out of breath and he wasn't. The elevator door opens, a man and his daughter comes out glaring at the two as if they were about to start something crazy. The man quickly took his daughter away whispering words to her. Jason clicks his tongue and drags Jane into the elevator. 

He felt bad that he didn't do anything about Jane. He knew that she was going to go after Cody. Yet he let her be thinking that all she needed was some space. They stood side by side but Jane scoots to the side. 

She didn't want to be next to him. Her feelings were bursting everywhere. She didn't want to forget the warm smiles Cody gives her, the kindness of his personality, and his caring. Why? She thought. 

Why was he keeping such a big secret away from her? She wanted an answer from him but he kept putting words into her. Words to make her avoid him. She needs to face reality yet something keeps pulling her back. Jane just wanted to start over to where everything began. To the day she first met Cody. 

She should've forgotten about what happened at the party and Jason. She felt like a betrayer. The feelings for Jason are true yet she just felt like losing him. That Jason couldn't open up to her as much as Cody did. What was she thinking? It's like a broken love triangle. 

Complicated at the least. Nothing would work either way if she breaks up with Jason. She'll end up in pain. She never blamed Jason for anything expect their childhood. Even while she was in a coma Jason was by her side, working day and night just to have this trip with her. She didn't expect to meet Cody, especially in such a condition that can get worse and worse. 

The elevator door opens to the lobby. Jason quickly grabs Jane by the hand. She was trying to yank her hand out but Jason wasn't going to let that happen. He squeezes her hand so tight that it hurt. Jason didn't want Jane to see Cody anymore. He promised himself that this was going to be the last time they'd ever meet. There was no point. Cody even said that his life won't extend any longer. Why make more memories when it will only reflect pain? Jason thought. Maybe falling in love with Jane wasn't the right choice. 

Her words flashes back to him when she told him what would happen if she and Cody ended up together instead. He waited two years for her to wake up, hoping - praying for her to wake up one day and make her believe that she can trust him again. Just once more, he wanted another chance to make her fall in love with him. 

"Let go." Jane whines lowly. "You're hurting my hand." She looks up to him with teary eyes. He immediately lets go and apologizes. He went for her cheek but she steps away. Not even looking at him, Jane whispers, "Why did you keep it a secret from me?"

Jason just stares at her unable to say a word. He knew how worried Jane was just as worried to death towards Cody. Cody was like a friend and enemy to him. "Jane, I-" He looks down, "I promised him, he told me to lie to you about moving away. I told you before but I was harsh. I lost my mind when you brought up how if you and Cody ended up together instead of me. 

"But still!" She raised her voice. "He wouldn't be living as lonely as of now if I knew. If I knew before my accident, I would've been taking care of him. Telling him that it's okay." Her voice was softer, calming down just thinking about it. Jason didn't like seeing Jane cry so he went forward and hugs her. He didn't want to let go, resting his chin on her shoulder. 

"I don't know what to do." She weeps. "He even gave me hints. Almost every time we met he gave me a hint but I never noticed." 

Jason runs his hand through her hair, "It's okay. You're alright. None of us knew about it. He kept it away from all of us."

"It hurts, it hurts to see him living like this. His parents aren't with him anymore. He forced himself to change his attitude. It's my fault."

"It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself." He holds her tighter. Jason couldn't bear watching her cry so hard. He felt like going back to Cody and have the three of them sit and talk everything out. It might not even work with Cody avoiding everyone. 

_______________________________

It's Christmas, the snow's falling lightly from the sky. The whole city is light up and people are singing Christmas carols corner to corner. Jason and Jane still couldn't forget what happened back at Cody's place. It was awkward, silent, and uncomfortable. Jason reaches for her hand and holds it. 

Holding his hand made Jane feel warmer. Although it was Christmas, Jane wondered who Cody was spending it with. Just a few weeks ago she was with him then everything went blank. Right after that she wakes to another upcoming Christmas. For some reason she felt like this was suppose to be another chance. Another Christmas to spend it with Cody, she doesn't know what he's been through the past two years. She wanted to ask him so much more, more to have a conversation for the whole day. 

Yet, she let it all go. If Cody's intention was to never see her again, she'll follow along. It would probably make him happy. Throughout the day, Jane couldn't smile wholeheartedly, even grin she pulled off to Jason was filled with sadness and regret. Jason could also see why she wasn't smiling to the fullest. He tried everything he could to make her happy but it just wasn't working. 

That night, Jason's phone was ringing constantly. Over and over again - every second it would be ringing. They couldn't hear it ring with the Christmas parade going on. 

Finally, he could see Jane smile. The smile he's use to seeing, that makes his heart flutter. He uses this moment and holds her from the behind. He rocks her slowly as they both watch the parade. 

"I'm glad you're smiling again. Haven't seen it since this whole trip started." He confesses. He was right. Jane thought for a moment reflecting the days they spent in New York. 

Once again his phone rings. Jason catches his ringtone and takes out his phone. There was over twenty miss calls, all from Cody's number. Jason was just thinking that he was a nuisance but still cared enough to call back. 

Waiting for the call, the other line picks up. Jason could hear the shakiness of a voice, it wasn't Cody's but someone else's. 

"Hello? Cody?" Jason says, there was no reply. It was probably to loud outside to hear anything. He held onto Jane's arm and brings her into the closest building. She looks at him concerned of why his facial expression was so stiff. 

"J-Jason? This is you right?" 

"Eve? What's wrong?" He could tell something was wrong. Her voice sounded cracked and scared. But why was she calling from Cody's phone?

She bursts out crying, "C-Cody, I-I don't know...I don't know what happened to him!"

Jason suddenly couldn't move. His eyes were locked on Jane's. "Calm down Eve. Where are you right now?" He tried not to panic, he was afraid Jane might go crazy and make a run to wherever Cody could be. 

"I'm in front of the emergency room..."

For some reason, time felt like it froze. Jason felt chocked up just thinking that this happened the second time. First it was his Jane, the most dearest person to him, now it's Cody, the person who just doesn't get along with him even though they still cared. Everything felt like slow motion, the snow from outside looks like it took an eternity to fall. The parade, music, screams of the people, they all sounded faint to Jason.

He took a look at Jane and could see the worried expression in her eyes. What was he going to tell her? All the words were chocked up inside of him. He hangs up his call and takes a deep breath. 

With a smile showing grief his voice said to her, "Do you want to go see him?"

He was scared, anxious to how Jane would react to the bad news. Will she cry? Runaway like last time? Even worse, to choose to stay by Cody's side rather than Jason's. 

Jane held her hands tightly to her chest. She was on the verge of tears. It was all bundled inside, she knew she had to be strong. She held it in, "What happened?" She whispers with a raspy tone. Her voice felt like it was taken away, taken away for a reason. As if she shouldn't say goodbye. 

Jason raised his voice, "Do you? Or not?" He cups her cheeks gently and stares into her hazel eyes, "It's a simple question." She  could see his eyes glittered with tears. A tear fell from his eye. 

"You're scaring me Jason. What happened?!" 

"Cody! That's what happened." His voice softens, "That was Eve earlier, he's...he's in the ER right now."

Jane didn't cry, instead she removed Jason's hands away from her cheeks and makes her way to the door. Suddenly, she felt a hand gripped onto hers. It was Jason. His eyes told her not to go. Yet, she couldn't just leave Cody in such a state that she had just found out alone. She had to be with him. Just one last time. Just in time to say something even if it's the last second. She should've stopped him from smoking. Jane kept blaming herself. As she stares back into Jason's eyes, she yanks her hand away. Off she went running within the crowd to find a taxi. 

It's my fault Cody. Please don't leave me so soon.

Her head was pounding on her way to the hospital. A the memories were flashing before her eyes of him. His smile, his voice, his mistakes, everything. She took him for granted as a friend. Nothing more nothing less. 

The doors open automatically. She rushes to the front desk and asks the ladies about Cody. They told her that she can't see him. That didn't stop her. She ran pass the desk as they shouted to her. After taking a few turns, she sees Eve, sitting quietly with her hands clasped together. She was praying for Cody's safety. 

"Eve!" She shouted. Eve peers up to Jane all of a sudden bursting into tears. Jane held her tightly in an embrace. 

"I'm sorry." She weeps. "If I didn't come earlier, he would've been gone. I didn't want him to be alone during Christmas. He was along for two years." 

"You're okay Eve." She rocks her gently and whispers, "You're okay. It's not your fault. Thank you, thank you for bringing him here." She sniffs and wipes her tears away with his sleeves. 

Off in the distance, heavy footsteps were coming forward. It was Jason catching his breathe making his way towards the ladies. His eyes were red and his skin was pale from the cold. "Where is he?" He asks, his voice uneven trying to catch his breath.

He didn't even look at Jane. He only looks over to Eve who points towards the emergency room. Jason sighs heavily unable to say a word. He drags himself to sit on the opposite side of the girls. Resting his elbows on his knees and closing his eyes. He was such in deep thought; hoping, waiting, and restless. 

The time felt like forever. They didn't know how long they have been waiting in front of the emergency room. The surgery was finally done. 

The doors slide open in silent. A man came out with a face mask on. His gloves were clean with some leftover blood stains. His grey eyes were bold as if he was ready to see sadness overwhelm the atmosphere. He gazes to Jason then to Jane and Eve. All three stood up to their feet and walk towards the doctor. He shook his head, gently taking off the face mask and with a hoarse tone he sighs heavily, "Cody Shiels, time of death: three fifty-seven AM. I'm sorry. We tried our best." He takes off a glove and patted Jason's shoulder. Jason knew his hands have done many surgeries with such roughness and steadiness. "He was still young. I'm sorry for your loss sir."

Jason couldn't hold it in. Tears suddenly just begin to flow out his eyes. He didn't peep a noise, they were just silently falling eventually dripping to the ground. Such heavy tears ran down Jane and Eve's cheeks. It was a moment of silence for all of them. 

Jason just couldn't believe it, just a few days ago they were together. But it wasn't even a long meeting. He ignored him, hated him, yet he still cared, he didn't know why he cared but maybe he was grateful of Cody for taking care of Jane when they broke up. Even till now, Jason doesn't know if Jane really loved him. He could tell that she had so much mixed emotions, he experienced such emotions too, it was just that he went a little over the line. 

Quietly, Jason's arms were shaking to reach over to Jane. He hugs her tightly even though he was trembling everywhere. Jane couldn't help herself and weeps burying her face into his chest. He caresses her head whispering to her that everything will be alright. He looks up to the ceiling coming into eye contact with the lights. He regretted his choices. He had all the chances to get to know Cody. Jason cursed himself as to why he waited till the last minute. Maybe his jealousy went overboard? 

He was gone. 

Cody was gone, Jason had two years, two years to know Cody a little more on personal terms while Jane was in a coma. His feeling never reached to that extent on getting into such terms. The personality Jason had just didn't help him overcome the same person he is today. It seemed like Cody was slowly turning into the past Jason. Jason should've stopped Cody from smoking the moment he walked into his apartment and smelled the scent of it. 

It was all too late. Everything that was done in the past and present can't be undone. 

There wasn't a chance to even say goodbye. 

 

 

***THE END ***