Promise me

The Chances of Falling in Love
 

         Heading back home, Cody looks back at Jason's house then to Jane's. He had a wondered look  on and smiles making his way inside. This however, didn't stop him from going to his university. Despite the late night hours he did, he needed to keep working to not fail getting the future that he wants. 

Then one night came. Almost all of Cody's hair was gone and he had to make a trip to the hospital with the help of his parents. At that same night, Jason came to visit Jane. Pleading for forgiveness, Jane wouldn't say anything to him. Jane didn't want to cause a ruckus while still inside her house and so she came outside to talk with him. Jason hugged her tightly and hoping she would come back to him. She still loved him but didn't know if she could trust him once more. She pushes herself away from him.

 

"I'm sorry Jason. But, I just can't right now." She said. 

As Jason listens, he sees the pendant that Cody gave to her and what he saw from the store. He clears his throat, "Did Cody get you that?" He asked. She grabs the pendant.

"Yeah he did. It was from Christmas."

"I'm sorry. I should've known better that you and Cody are together now." Jane's eyes widen confused of what he meant. She and Cody was never a thing.

"No Jason, you misunderstood. Me and Cody-"

"Look Jane, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come back if I knew you Cody were together." He wasn't playing around. He actually thought she and Cody were together ever since he had left her. Jason shook his head and didn't listen to Jane. Now it made him feel unwanted. He made his way back across the street with his hands shoved in his front pockets. Jane followed behind clenching her hands, until a car with no headlights was driving in the dark night and suddenly a bright flash shines in the eyes of Jane's. The loud crash and tires screeching against the road made Jason turn around. Jane collapsed there in the middle of the street with blood surrounding her. 

"Jane!" Jason shouted running towards her. He collapsed to the ground kneeling in front of Jane. His heart suddenly dropped.

He pears up squinting just to see Katherine's face smiling like a grim reaper. She narrows her eyes, backs away and drives off leaving the two on the street.

 

 Jason thought and knew her only attention was to hurt Jane after that night they argued. There was no time to waste, Jason quickly called an ambulance with his hands with stains of Jane's blood. The sirens were so loud that Kerri and Micheal came out and seeing it was Jane the gasps. The paramedics carried her into the van. Her parents cried seeing the puddle of blood around her quickly getting into their car and followed the paramedics. Jason rushes  into his car, blood on his hands and clothes. He didn't have time to wash them. The only person on his mind at the moment was Jane. Worried sick, his hands were shaking like crazy and couldn't drive properly. His breathing was becoming heavier but that didn't stop him to get to Jane's side.

____________________

 

         While Cody was stuck at the hospital, he finally woke up and was out in the lobby speaking and playing with the children until he could hear the sirens and doctors and nurses running to the entrance. Quickly they hurried and got the patient inside the hospital rushing to take her into surgery. Cody got a small glimpse at the female and noticed the necklace of Jane's pendant name. Cody's eyes shocked open and out from the entrance came running was Micheal and Kerri then after, Jason.

They didn't notice Cody at all with his bald cap and passed by him as if he were a complete stranger. Cody quickly followed behind. Jason, Kerri, and Micheal stopped at the entrance of the surgery room. Micheal held Kerri's shoulders firmly trying to calm her down from such an accident. Cody stops seeing Kerri going on a rampage hitting Micheal's chest crying her eyes out.

"How can this happen?!"

"Calm down honey. Everything's going to fine."

"NO! It's not, she our little girl our only little girl!"

Jason stood there weeping, "I-I'm sorry... It's all my fault."

"We trusted you with her!" Kerri barked. 

"I know very well what I did to cause this. I'm sorry."

"Bring her back!... Bring my daughter back." She grabs onto Jason's collar staring deeply into his eyes with fear of losing Jane. 

Jason lightly grabs Kerri's wrists with his bloody hands. Just seeing the blood, Kerri calms down bearing her face into Jason's chest as they both collapse to the floor. Micheal was lost in words. Heavy tears silently fell down his cheeks.

Micheal helps Kerri up from Jason, "Come on now, let him be. He's not the only hurt one here."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." He repeats over and over. He gets up and his legs were shaking. He wipes his tears ready to leave the area but sees someone standing.  

Jason couldn't help but stare, "C-Cody?"

Cody smiled weakly with the dark circles under his eyes, "Hi."

Micheal and Kerri slowly looks Jason's way. They were dumbfounded seeing the condition of Cody's.

"What happened to Jane?" He asked calmly. 

        Jason took him to an empty hallway where they could talk alone and explains to him what happened. Cody was outraged that it was Katherine but couldn't show it, it would make his condition worse. The stress was already building up again and it was time for Cody to get back to his room. He wanted to say more to Jason but only asked for his number. After that, Cody left to his room, sitting there in bed in an awful silence. What was there for him to do now? Jane's in critical condition and he's just sitting there not able to help so much anymore. He smiled weakly and turns off the lights. Throughout that night though, he couldn't sleep, he was worried about Jane.

After eleven hours the surgery was successful. The doctors confirmed that Jane was in a coma. They didn't know when she will wake up, it was a possibility, or even a miracle if she wakes up within a month. 

Jane was lying in the bed with machines beeping around her and tubes in to help her breath. Bandages were wrapped around her head. She looked so lifeless lying there in bed. Jason walks in sitting by her side then carefully holding her hand waiting for her to wake up and have the first person she see is him and no other so she can gain her trust for him again. 

By that night, Jason had fallen asleep by her side and Cody came to check for her room. Slowly, he could see through the glass that Jason was with her. Of course he would be what could he do? Cody gave a smile of relief at the two and walks in quietly. He puts a blanket over Jason's shoulders and pulling the blanket a little more to cover Jane. It was nice seeing the two together although it kind of hurt Cody. 

He stayed for a while keeping an eye on them and after half of the night, he left back to his room. Still in silence, he didn't say a thing and went off to sleep. Hopefully something good would happen. 

That following morning, Jason wakes up holding Jane's hand and was worried that she hasn't woken up yet. Jason couldn't let her go and stays by her side but then the doctor came inside saying she needs to get Jane's updates and more. Jason cooperated then left the room with a heavy sigh and went over to visit Cody.

 

 

Once Jason got to Cody's room, he wasn't there. The room was empty and the bed was neatly done. 

Cody was out walking around the hospital since the room was too stuffy for him to stay in. While walking around, he thought he could make a small visit to Jane. She was soundly asleep as he enters her room. Cody caresses her cheek and her hair; his eyes lowered feeling sorry for her, 

"I'm sorry." Cody's pale lips whispered as he got up and there Jason was standing at the doorway with his arms crossed.

"What are you sorry for?" Jason whispers back.

Cody smiled, "Secrets that I've kept away." He walks up to Jason and pats him on the shoulders.

The two sat down in the cafeteria of the hospital with cups of coffee. Cody was tapping his fingers on the table then stopped and got serious once Jason finished stirring his coffee.

"So what are you going to do about Katherine? Have you reported her yet?"

"Her parents are getting that taken care of. I'll gladly be a witness and make Katherine spit out every excuse she's going to make in court."

"To think your ex again, is such a vicious creature. Her beauty is a waste."

Jason laughs. "If only she could understand the rules of reality."

"Speak for yourself Jason. There are times for you too."

"Yeah I know, but this - you. I still can't believe you you know. This guy sitting in front of me is Cody, the one who is always there for Jane."

"I didn't think you thought of me that much."

"I guess I couldn't very much when me and her were separated. Thanks, for keeping a smile on her face."

Cody didn't want to spill when he kissed Jane on Christmas night. He smiles, "No problem."

It got quiet and Cody sighs, he narrows his eyes towards Jason.

"Jason. Can you do me a favor?" He asks lowly.

He raises a brow, "Yeah sure what is it?"

"Can you keep this a secret? You know me in the hospital. I'll tell Jane when it's time to tell her. But for now, I'll tell you if I'm too late."

Jason's eyes became worried, "What are you talking about Cody? You'll get through this right? It's not that serious."

Cody chuckles, "Jason, I've survived once and if it comes and goes, sometimes it'll come back again just like the waves." He smiles, "Eight years ago, I was diagnosed with cancer and survived four years later and no... it's coming back. I don't know what's going to happen now but look at the bright side, you have Jane now, the only person who can make her happy. I've tried when she needed someone the most but figured out that she only needed you."

"But you never know when Jane's going to wake up."

"Exactly, it'll be a miracle if I survived once again and be able to tell Jane that I'm fine and that nothing happened to me." He bit his bottom lip, "Besides, I promised myself to never fall in love. I don't want to hurt anyone close to me. I distanced myself from others but then I saw Jane. I thought maybe we could relate and we didn't. Because I couldn't tell her my secrets."

"What are you planning to do? Just keep something this serious a secret from her?" Jason crossed his legs and arms giving Cody a glare.

"I'm switching hospitals." Cody admitted getting straight to the point of the conversation. "I'm switching hospitals and I want you to also keep that a secret. If one day she wakes up, just tell her that I moved far away."

Jason stopped him, "Slow down Cody, what?" He sled his hands down his face, "Which hospital are you transferring to?"

"A new city, it'll probably be better...For the best of the three of us."

"I don't understand how you could just sit hear saying these words so calmly."

"That's because I'm trying to stay calm. You don't know how hard it is to stay calm in my situation between life and death and trying to part ways with someone who you can't even tell when they're going to wake up."

His words drowned Jason into silence. He gulped and ran his fingers through his hair, "Cody..."

"Promise me you'll keep this conversation and me a secret from her." He stood up and leans towards the table, "I'm begging you." There was a mist of water at the edge of Cody's eyes; Jason could tell he was holding in the tears of so many memories and farewell.

"I will. But why do I have to be the one to lie to her again? I've lied once and it broke her. If I lie again she might never find someone who can care for her."

"Jason...you're not the one lying to her. I am. I'm the one keeping secrets and lies but I'm just telling you to pass on my lie in any case she was to wake up at any moment. So please"

"What will I get for it?"

"Let's not play that game right now okay. Let this be the first and last request I ask of you."

"Fine, I won't tell her about you. If this is how our story ends – let it end. I wish you good luck."

"Thank you..." Cody said with a relief as heavy tears silently ran down his cheeks. His hands were shaking as he walks away from Jason.

Their untouched coffee had no more steam becoming colder and colder throughout their conversation just like the way Cody was becoming colder and distancing himself again from people he thought could actually be friends and enemies. 

 

***To Be Continued***