Desperate Times

Protector

[A/N: Starts in reader POV moves to Taek's POV and then shifts back to readers] 

 

Time ticked on so agonisingly slow. Your nerves spiked and you couldn’t keep still. One of Minjun’s guards stood outside your door making any attempt at rescuing Taekwoon impossible. But, you were not going to give up so easily. Picking up your empty chamber pot you went to the door. Opening the creaking door carefully, you struck the heavy metal of the pot connecting with the back of the guards head. Deciding to not try your luck past anymore guards you snuck down one of the back passages that lead to one of the dining rooms. 

One of your fathers guards spotted you, their eyes and mouths opening ready to alert the castle guards of your presence. You quickly ran to his side, palm pressed against his mouth. “You saw nothing, understand?”

A muffled, ‘but you’re highness the king-’ pressed against your palm.

“Speak a word of this to anyone and I will kill you myself, worry not about my father.” You were a woman on a mission, you had no time for your father’s foolish men. The guard nodded in understanding and you rushed forward. You were going to save Taekwoon. Then you were going to save your Kingdom.

-

A screech echoed within the room as the heavy, metal door slammed shut. The resonating clunk of a heavy lock solidified the dread in his chest as he was locked inside. The tower was bitterly cold and the wind that whipped around in its confines was helping none in this situation.

 He deserved this. 

How could he possibly let his delusions cloud his mind to risk her safety? Not just hers but his and the Kingdom’s as well. He had failed the sole task he had been appointed. He could see the frustration and disappointment on the face of his King, even if the news he had been delivered hadn’t all been completely truthful.  

How could you ever possibly love him? 

You were the future Queen of your Kingdom, a soon-to-be married woman. You had men throw themselves at your feet and offer you things that he could only dream about. Yet, he still felt his heart beating faster at the mention of your name or the sound of your voice. You made him question his own sanity. How had he risked it all and fallen for you? When he had met you, you were a mission. A stubborn, cold and childish mission. But, when you smiled and laughed, he faltered. When he saw you cry that night in the library, he softened. You were more than just what he thought at first glance. You simply craved more than the attention of a person who wanted to know how much your riches could buy or how many heirs you could bare. When you were looked at as a person instead of a princess, you were a whole new person. He saw the compassionate and determined woman, with a sweetness that he knew now had become buried beneath cold walls of fear, betrayal and anger. He had fallen in love with the woman who loved her people and the woman who was still stubborn and drove him completely insane with her witty and sharp responses and the soft giggles when they strolled in the garden. He had fallen for the woman who was determined and intelligent and caring, the more time he spent with you. He had only just found you, the woman he loved, and now he was losing his life and more importantly he was losing you. 

He shivered, the cool wind piercing through the light cotton of his ed shirt. Goosebumps pricked at his skin and he noticed the loss of feeling in his arms. Perhaps he deserved the punishment that awaited for him in the morning. Perhaps he deserved to endure the bitterness of the winter air that flowed through his cell making the wait until his torture and eventually death just that much longer. How could he have let you fall into the trap of such an evil man? Not just you but your family and your Kingdom. He had heard what the bastard had said that night. Your family would be poisoned and deceased before the sun would even set on your wedding night. The very thought weighed on his body and made his head spin.

 It was all his fault. 

 He could have  saved everyone if only he hid his feelings for one night. 

The door to his cell rattled, a key twisting in the doors lock before clicking open. A cloaked figure stepped into the doorway, closing the door behind them. His heart seized for a moment, fearing his end was coming before he could even say a last goodbye. The cloak moved from the figures head and he sighed in relief. Your eyes catching the silvery moonlight of his cell as you approached. 

“You sho-shouldn’t be here, your highness. I-I’m a criminal.” 

You knelt by his side, beginning to untie the thickly woven ropes that bound his wrists. A gasp left your rosebud lips and he froze. 

“I-Is there something wrong? Ar-Are yo-ou hurt?” He whispered.

“Your hands are like ice,” your hands finally making the knot fall looser but not completely undone. How was anyone meant to escape these? You intertwined your fingers blowing hot air onto your connected fingers. He tried to pull his bound hands from yours but you insisted, trying to spread some of your warmth. 

“We’re going to get you out of here and then we are going to tell my father the truth.” 

Taekwoon’s face hardened, as he threw his head towards an old desk that occupied the cell, discarded bottles and potions from an old medicine man left haphazardly. 

 “Hide now! Someones coming.” He urged. You looked at him desperately, wanting to argue but decided against it. You ran to hide in the corner hidden by the desk, scanning your surroundings for a weapon, just in case. 

Heavy footsteps clacked against the brick of the cell. A dark chuckle erupting from a figure that was not Taekwoon. You heard it before you saw it. Minjun’s gloved hand punching against Taekwoon’s cheek. 

 “So you thought you would steal my bride did you?” Minjun tormented. “Why would she be with someone like you when she could have someone like me?” He laughed and it took everything within you, not to scream at him with a thousand different reasons. 

“Hm, perhaps I should delay your execution. Have you watch when I consumate my marriage to your little Princess” Taekwoon’s teeth gritted together, fighting hard against the bindings. “Then I’ll make her watch as I kill you. Worry not. She will join you soon enough.”

Taekwoon growled, desperately ripping at his bindings now. 

Minjun tsked and paced around in front of the chair where Taekwoon sat helpless. Minjun’s weak hits only permitted due to Taekwoon’s subdued state, the Prince was no match for him if it were a fair match. 

Taekwoon spat blood onto the floor before him, very nearly hitting the prince. 

“You’ll never win, all of your games and torment will end. If I have to perish to save her then so be it, if you want to hurt her it’ll be over my dead body.” 

“Very well. I’m flexible.” Minjun smirked, grubby hands ready to grab the sword on his hip. 

You ran, without thinking. Jumping in front of him. Surprised, Minjun halted. The sword remaining at his side. 

A gruff voice made the cold room feel even more frozen. “Am I not to be obeyed when I give orders? The sun has not risen yet, therefore this matter is not to be debated,” The King stood very tiredly in the doorway. “Guards, guard the prisoner and these two. I want all men watching these three. Am I understood?” 

Following the King’s orders everyone began to shuffle out of the room. In a swift motion you removed your velvet cloak, draping it over Taekwoon’s shoulders and followed everyone out of the room. The door clicking closed as you took one last look at Taekwoon, your heart heavier than ever. 

 

Morning came and you hadn’t slept for more than a minute or two at a time. Exhaustion overcame your body as you listened to Minjun drone on overdramatically about Taekwoon’s so-called sins. 

“He wanted the princess for himself. So, he sent the bandits to be rid of me!” Minjun wailed. 

You rolled your eyes, finally have had enough with his lies. “Father!” You called, retrieving the scroll from within your dress. “Minjun had paid the bandits to kill me, it was not Taekwoon.” 

With only a brief look at the scroll your father scoffed, tearing it to pieces. “I have had it with your excuses! You could pay any man gold and he would tell you whatever you wished.” Your hopes were dashed. The one piece of truthful evidence and your father didn’t believe you. 

“I want his head, your highness… tonight.” Minjun demanded. “It is the only way I will feel at ease.” 

“Fine. I-” your father began. Your heart sank. No, Taekwoon would not die just because of this. He had saved you from those bandits. 

“Please father, reconsider. Taekwoon saved me from those bandits. If it wasn’t for him you would have no future heirs. Kill him and I promise you will not only have a loyal and innocent man’s blood on your hands you will have your own daughters.” 

“Do not threaten me, daughter!” You thought quickly, reaching for one of the guards swords and holding it close. 

“Father please! I’ll marry Minjun right this very instant if you let Taekwoon live. I ask you once more, reconsider. Please.” You pleaded desperately, watching anxiously as your father sighed. 

“Taekwoon as the nephew of a dear friend and as the Princess is so generously vying for you, your punishment will be exile from this day until your last day. When the sun sets you may never return to this Kingdom again, if you do so I give my permission to the future King to punish you how he wish. Is this understood?”

“Yes, your highness. Thank you for your kindness,” his words were gratuitous but his tone was empty. 

Minjun spluttered his complaints only to be silenced by your father. 

“Now, we have a wedding to prepare for. Since our princess, is so eager her wedding will be held tomorrow night.” You nodded solemnly watching on as Taekwoon was taken to prepare for his exile. 

-

His horse was ready, and he lingered. His eyes held a thousand things he wished to tell you but the sun was setting. 

“I’m so sorry your highness this is all my fault. Please ask your father to reconsider, I will take the punishment if it sets you free.” 

You smiled softly, how could anyone so willingly have their own life taken for the sake of your freedom?

“A good Queen sacrifices what she can for her people to live free and happy. My Kingdom… even one without you in its bounds is still a far better Kingdom than one with you dead. Forgive me, perhaps if I had been more selfless we could have all been free of that menace.”

“You will be a benevolent Queen, your highness.” He bowed, pressing a parting kiss on top of your hand. 

“Go, quickly Taekwoon.”

He nodded, knowing himself that time was running out. He hopped upon the horse and passed one last look your way. 

“I love you, your highness. I’ll find a way to return to you.” He whispered, his horse soon taking off as he disappeared into the sunset. 

“I love you too.” You sighed, watching the sun set for a bit longer. You tried to ignore the dread filling your body, knowing you would be wed tomorrow and not to a man you loved.