Caught

Protector

“I want the bodyguard dead by the engagement ball, am I understood?”

No. You knew he was an awful man, but murder? Would he really resort to that? 

More importantly, Minjun wanted Taekwoon dead?!

You gasped, a hand clasping over your mouth, pulling you into the darkness.

                                                             -

You turned facing to defend yourself against your attacker, your fists flying in quick motions.

You turned ready fight your attacker, thinking that it was probably one of Prince Minjun’s servants that would bring you before the murderous man himself. 
 

“Shhh- it’s only me your highness, we need to get out of here.” Taekwoon’s soft voice sent waves of relief throughout your body. You weren’t in danger, not with him. 

“Quickly, to my chambers.” You ordered in no louder than a whisper. You removed yourself from Taekwoon and hurried down the hallway. You couldn’t risk being caught by Minjun or any of his guards. 

As soon as Taekwoon had closed the chamber door, you let out a breath you had been holding. 

“Your Highness, it is very late, you should be in your chambers instead of wandering around. If your fa-”

“I am the future Queen, I can wander where and when I please Taekwoon.” 

Taekwoon bowed his head, “Yes, your majesty. I only meant that it can be dangerous at night, you never know who could be lurking about the castle in the cloak of darkness. I do not wish for you to be hurt… it is my job to protect you…”

You let out a sigh, you didn’t mean to snap at Taekwoon, you’d been getting along so much better at the expense of Prince Minjun. Maybe if he helped you get rid of Minjun, you could go back to bickering and finally trying to escape both marriage and Taekwoon’s clutches. 

“I have a request of you, Taekwoon.” 
 

“Anything, your grace.” He bowed and you nodded.

 

                                                            -

It had been days since you had sent a few of Taekwoon’s trusted men out beyond the Kingdom border without the King’s knowledge. You needed any evidence you could get against Prince Minjun, you need a solid document or a witness of a crime that would leave him unfit for a future King. It was a difficult task, if you were of royal blood it was quite easy to become a King. Becoming a Queen was much more difficult, the family had to be royal or very well-off, her skin mustn’t tarnished, her purity had to be intact, or she had to be the only heir of the King. It would be much easier to prove you were an unworthy Queen than it would be proving against Minjun, but you held hope. He would not be your husband, if it was the last thing you did. 

Your fingertips drummed against the metal of the bars on your windows, hoping to catch even a glimpse of the riders you’d sent away. Surely, commoners would gossip about royalty in the marketplace or even wealthy families would spread rumors that servants would spread amongst themselves. Someone somewhere would have to have something against Prince Minjun, and you’d wait for the opportune moment. Once you had proof against his plans or his past you’d create the chance to make him slip up in front of your father. Perhaps, you’d be excused from marriage after such an embarrassment of a suitor. You smirked, you wouldn’t give away your freedom to a murderer. To anyone unworthy. You had way too much to do. 

Two strong hands startled you out of your thoughts as you were pulled away from the window. 

“I thought you were through with the escape routes, your Highness. You pro-”

“I was not escaping Taekwoon. Do you see anything that I could escape through metal with? Father had the bars reinforced after all. I was waiting for your riders, have you heard any word from them?” 

Taekwoon shook his head, “I apologise your Highness. I have unfortunately heard nothing from any of the men I have sent out, Minjun’s Kingdom is a good two days ride from here, I am sure as soon as they find anything they will send word back to you.” 

Days had turned into a further week without any word and you were growing anxious. Minjun had been around you far too often that you barely had time to speak to Taekwoon in private. Minjun knew how to make your skin crawl, in public he’d hold you closer than usual, his vice-like grip made you want to cut his hand from his body for touching you like he did, knowing it would spite you. 

Now here you were, up in a castle balcony, the marketplace that was usually scattering with business and people was silent. All eyes of the Kingdom looked up upon their royal family, as your Father spoke to his people. You struggled to listen to his words, focusing instead on Minjun’s snake-like arms around your waist, his warm breath swirling against your neck. It made you cringe, you could not stand the man. He made you physically sick, you wondered how many hot baths it would take for your handmaidens to scrub you clean of his clutches this time. 

“Prince Minjun has travelled a long, perilous journey from his Kingdom in search of our Princesses hand, and now it is with great pleasure and pride that I announce the engagement of our Princess Y/N and Prince Minjun,” your father announced. As if like a peacock on cue, your “husband to be” strode out from behind you, an overbearing grin plastered on his face, his hand high in the air cockily waving to your people.  

Would it be treasonous to push your future husband from the balcony? Would it not be a service by having him fall for his “adoring public”? You never knew you could have such morbid thoughts, but then again you’d never met a man like him. 

You were glad for the separation from the self-absorbed leech, you smiled and waved to your future people, you were going to be their Queen someday. You were going to be their Queen with a man you loved, a man who was worthy by your side. You were going to be Queen when you were ready to be. How could a man like Minjun take care of all the people below you, what unjust and selfish deeds would he commit? You’d have to be ready soon. 

You turned from your adoring public only to have someone grip your wrist and drag you off into the hallway. 

Minjun’s eyes were livid, a sinister smirk played on his lips as he shoved an object into your palm. 

One of your father banners was in tatters red blotches staining the silk fabric. One of Taekwoon’s riders. You tried to keep your composure as he leaned closer, his breath fanning against your cheek. 

“You need better spies, Princess.”