Revelations

Protector

You were finally alone. The Castle gardens weren’t a proper escape, but for the meantime, you’d be free of a certain Prince’s tantrums and Taekwoon’s overprotective gaze. You’d snuck away during breakfast, the men busied by your father’s dull conversation.

The castle gardens were beautiful. Marble fountains with water that glittered in the early morning sunshine. The sunshine always made the garden seem that much more lovely. Fragrant, vibrant and delicate flowers sprouted in hedge mazes and flowerbeds, swaying gently in the breeze. Trees of flowers and fruits shaded stone benches and small table settings. It truly was serene. As much as you hated the castle and its constricting walls, you did love the garden. It was your happiness within your prison cell.

You paced forward, fingertips skimming delicately along the flower petals of the hedge mazes. This was what you needed, some fresh air, an escape from your horrid future husband. Well, proposed future husband. You’d not let yourself be married off to such a man so easily.

“Your highness, there you are,” Taekwoon’s soft exclamation broke your serenity. “Your father has requested you take some more time to get to know his Highness. Perhaps you could show him around more of the gardens?” Taekwoon suggested.

You sighed, opening your mouth to speak when your future husband strutted into the garden, his servant pacing behind him.

“Come on then stupid girl, get on with it,” he shoved you forward. Taekwoon held your arm, pulling you forward to walk with him before you verbally assaulted the Prince for his behaviour.

A stroll through the garden with Prince Minjun was never an ideal way to spend your afternoon. But, what could you possibly do? Your father insisted that you spend more time with him. You’d rather do anything else. A few weeks had past since Minjun’s arrival to the Kingdom. You had been on several of walks with him in the castle grounds and to say he was a pompous, self-absorbed excuse of a human was an understatement. In front of your father he treated you as a gentleman should, but away from his presence he was constantly condescending, rude and oh how you hated him.

“Out of the way girl! Could you possibly walk any slower?” A harsh shove to your side sent you flying towards the ground. Yes, Prince Minjun always the gentleman; shoving Princesses was definitely a good way to win her heart.

“Are you alright, Princess?” Taekwoon’s quiet voice asked, his hands extending down to you to help you up. Your smaller hands grasped his as he pulled you up and onto your feet. One of his hands let go of yours to brush away a stray hair from your face. You could feel the heat rise to your cheeks from where his fingertips had brushed. This was how you treated someone, with respect and gentleness.

“Are you sure he didn’t hurt you anywhere your Highness?” He whispered, eyes scanning your face worriedly.

“I’m okay, thank you Taekwoon.” He nodded, instantly backing away. You took a step back as well,  only to tumble forward, your ankle giving out on you. Bracing for the impact of the pebbled ground, you flinched. Muscled arms braced around your frame, catching you just before you hit the floor.

Taekwoon’s eyes narrowed, hauling your body into his arms, he placed you gently onto a garden bench. Taekwoon’s long legs strode over to the Prince who was snickering with his manservant.

Ever since that night of your last failed escape attempt Taekwoon had been watching you like a hawk. He kept your bedroom guarded and never left your side. If anyone knew any better they would have thought you were conjoined at the hip. Taekwoon despite being around you all the time was certainly growing on you. He even defended you in front of Minjun quite often. You were thankful in that respect. Taekwoon always did it in such finessed way that left the snooty Prince effectively silenced.

“Prince Minjun,” Taekwoon called after the man. “I’m aware that your inflated ego takes up a large amount of room, but, please be mindful that our dear Princess and our Kingdom’s heir to the throne is nearby before you go strutting around and injuring such beauty.” He smiled towards the Prince.

You had to bite your lip to hold in the laughter that was bubbling inside of you… well laughter and something else unrecognisable to you.  Taekwoon rushed back to your side, helping you to your feet. An arm around your waist taking the pressure off of your ankle slightly.

Such beauty… Did Taekwoon really mean that?

“Ho-How dare you speak to me like that! You girl, tell your servant to watch his tongue.”

You turned facing the Prince, absolutely furious.

“You may call me your highness. Never refer to me as such low titles again, Understood? Also, my bodyguard was perfectly eloquent. Maybe a certain Prince should watch his tongue instead.” You scoffed.

Taekwoon withheld his laughter, offering his arm towards you.  “May I you the rest of the way your Highness?” Taekwoon asked, ignoring the splutters of a reply from the Prince.

“You may,” you chuckled, linking your arm through Taekwoon’s. The Prince and his servant left behind in shock.

“Are you sure you’re alright Princess?” Taekwoon whispered when you were far enough away.

“I’m alright, it’s just that sad excuse of man-” you huffed not even knowing where to begin. “I can’t be married to that, you’ve seen it and I know we’re not always on the best of terms Taekwoon but please. You get along with father, maybe you could speak with him? You can’t let me be married to him. I won’t stay here if that man is my fate.”

Taekwoon sighed, torn between what he should say as a subject and what he wanted to say. He knew there was a far darker side to the Prince than even you knew of. Unfortunately, Minjun had your father wrapped around his finger, even when he treated you so poorly. Maybe it was his instinct to Protect you as your bodyguard or maybe it was something else entirely, but, he couldn’t help that restricting feeling in his chest. He couldn’t help the anger boiling from within when Prince Minjun hurt you. No, he’d protect you. He’d always protect you.

You may have been a pain the first few weeks he had met you, but you were growing on him.

He loved your genuine laugh when he made jokes at the Princes expense. He loved your witty remarks and your love of the people in your Kingdom. When you visited the village markets with himself and the Prince, your caring nature shone through and although he’d never say it, his heart was warming up to you.

“Your Highness. Perhaps you need to find yourself another suitor. If you can show your willingness to another then surely your father will agree.”

“How can I possibly find someone else when I’m a prisoner here?” Your hope was certainly deflating. “Let’s stop up here, I wish to rest for a while”, you motioned toward a stone bench setting and Taekwoon nodded.

Another suitor?

Perhaps someone you could love. The Jaehwan boy from the market was nice, but he had no lands and no title. But, someone that could make you laugh like he did would be-

No.

Absolutely not.

You tried desperately to shake the thoughts away to no avail.

Taekwoon made you laugh, when he focused his efforts more on the Prince and less on being a bother to you, you laughed. He was witty and intelligent and handsome… No. Definitely not.

You’d find someone soon, you’d just have to have some help.

“For you, your highness” Taekwoon’s soft voice even softer, a delicate pink rose was held towards you.

Your cheeks glowed to the same color of the petals. You’d never received flowers before. Not from a man. Not from a handsome man. No. He was your bodyguard and he was stuffy and uptight… and handsome and smart… did you mention handsome? The way his dark hair flowed away from his face so perfectly, his sharp eyes that held so much warmth if you looked hard enough, his toned body that had saved you from many an impact and injury, his muscled arms that had stopped your several escape attempts.

Oh god what was wrong with you? You took the flower from him, bringing it close savouring its sweet scent.

“T-Thank you Taekwoon,” you mumbled shyly, looking up at the tall man. Your eyes locking, you could feel yourself getting lost again, something about it made your heart flutter.

“Daughter!” Your mothers voice rang out. “Come we have much to prepare for”, your mother’s handmaidens came scurrying behind their Queen, helping you to your feet. “There is a banquet tonight, we must be ready.”

You looked back at Taekwoon while you were being escorted away. Why was your heart beating so fast?

-

The banquet hall was filled with unfamiliar people of various standings and importance to the Kingdom. You’d lost interest in the conversation between Minjun and your Father long ago. The way they talked about owning lands seemed to be the exact same way they conversed about you; even if you were sitting right beside your betrothed. How dare they treat you like a piece of land, like property? It infuriated you. You were a living breathing person, with feelings and a heart that longed to be loved. You wanted to be cared for and protected, not just thrown into a marriage with someone who only wanted you because of your title.

Your fathers golden spoon tapped against his glass of aged wine, getting the attention of the room. The hall quieted slowly to hushed whispers and soon faded to attentive silence. All eyes focused on your father, the bearded man standing from his throne, glass raised in the air.

“It is with great pride I, your King, announce the engagement of my daughter to Prince Minjun. I am overjoyed that our Kingdom will have a strong and wonderful man to rule our Kingdom when I pass down my throne. A fine, fine man to give my daughter a future heir for our Kingdom! To our future rulers!” He held his glass higher in the air, a jovial laugh leaving his lips as his speech concluded. All in the room joined in raising their glasses and cheering for you and Minjun.

“Looks like you’re all mine, Princess.” Minjun whispered, a tight grip on your knee. You pushed him off, rushing away from the snickering Prince.

-

You’d hidden yourself in your chambers. You wanted to be nowhere near your betrothed. From time to time you could hear the familiar clicking of Taekwoon’s leather boots against the marble floor outside your chamber. But, that had stopped what seemed a while now. Your fingertips gently grasped the glass doorhandle. You eased the door open, Taekwoon was nowhere to be seen. You paced the halls eager to find him. So much for a bodyguard.

-

Minjun and his servant had retired for the night. The Prince had had enough. The King adored him, the way he talked about battle techniques and politics had the Kings attention captured during their conversations. But, no that wasn’t all. It was her. The way she looked at him, mad him mad. There was no way he was going to lose to someone with as low a standing as a brats bodyguard. No, he’d have his crown. He’d have the whole damn Kingdom, the whole world.

“I want him disposed of. Understood?”

“Sire, shall I send word to the village bandits? They’d take care of him.”

Minjun sighed, rubbing his temples tiredly. It was a messy way to get things done, not quite as precise as a future King should be when completing his bidding. But, it was efficient.

“Send word at once, once he’s out of the way the Kingdom will be in my clutches. “I want the bodyguard dead by the engagement ball, am I understood?”

“As you wish sire” his servant bowed, hurrying to fulfil his masters request.

-

You were heading towards your bed chamber when you’d overheard a few hushed whispers. Perhaps this was where Taekwoon was. Stopping at the door, you listened closely, leaning into the sliver of light from the crack of the door.

“I want the bodyguard dead by the engagement ball, am I understood?”

No. You knew he was an awful man, but murder? Would he really resort to that? More importantly, Minjun wanted Taekwoon dead?!

You gasped, a hand clasping over your mouth, pulling you into the darkness.