Chapter 3 - Freedom

Protector

It had been a few weeks since Taekwoon had been your bodyguard. To say you didn’t get along was an understatement. You constantly bickered with each other. One just as stubborn as the other.

But, you did have to admit, he was good.

You had attempted four escapes so far, and yet, he had always been a step ahead of you. He’d return you to your quarters, bow, then close the door.

It was frustrating. Why couldn’t you just have one day to get outside of the castle walls, and explore your kingdom before you were married off to someone you didn’t love? It was all you wanted.

Your father cleared his throat, interrupting your thoughts. You looked toward him from across the long table. He had placed his cutlery down and was looking back at you a hardened look on his face.

Oh no. Not again.

“Daughter”

“Yes, father?” You held in a breath knowing the exact words your father would say next.

“Prince Minjoon will be visiting tomorrow and I want you to be polite.”

You bit your lip, trying your best to contain the scoff you so wanted to release. It was happening again! You could feel your frustration spreading like wildfire through your body. When weren’t you “polite” to those stuffy Prince types? Except for when necessary, of course.

You took one last mouthful of the breakfast one of the servants had prepared, standing up from your position at the table.

“Yes, father. May I please be excused to go to my quarters?”

“Yes, yes. Go ahead. Taekwoon!” Your father called for your body guard.

“Yes, your majesty.”

“Make sure she doesn’t get any ideas.”

 


 

You groaned, rolling your eyes as you left the dining room. You walked up the stairs to your bedroom, Taekwoon’s footsteps close behind you. You closed the door of your bedroom, not caring if you shut it in Taekwoon’s face right now. You let out another breath you’d been holding, you couldn’t hold in the frustration any longer.

“Be Polite, he says. Yeah right, he’s just another stubborn, stuck up prince that will be just like the rest of the Princes father has asked me to entertain. ‘Daughter, isn’t this young man fitted for your hand?’ Ha! I bet half of my future Kingdom that he will say that again within the first five minutes of the stupid Princes arrival.”

You huffed, flinging yourself onto your bed. You held a pillow to your face, muffling the rest of your rant.

“I hope he’s not like Prince Jiwon, he was 48! What if he’s like Prince Jaesoo? He was so arrogant he could make a peacock hide in shame! Ugh, I have had enough with these Princes! I just want to explore my Kingdom and beyond before I’m trapped with one of these idiots forever!”

There was a soft knock on your bedroom door. “Your Highness-”

“Huh?” You’d snapped out of your thoughts, sitting up on your bed. The pillow falling beside you.

“You’ve been sighing and huffing for the past five minutes now,” Taekwoon opened your door, taking a place in front of you he bowed.

“Oh, I didn’t realise… just forget it, Taekwoon. Okay?”

“Okay.”

That was the thing about Taekwoon. He was silent, for the most part. He watched you day and night, rarely ever saying a word. It was as if he was your shadow more than your body guard.

“You’re doing it again.”

“Tae-”

“Princess. Could I be of any assistance?” 

You gaped at him, had he been listening the whole time?

“Is this why you try to escape all the time, Princess?”

You were left speechless. So he had been listening! That little…

“Forgive me for speaking out of turn, your highness. I will gladly take any punishment you deem necessary for my actions. I just think I have a solu-”, he rambled, his eyes pleading.

He looked so innocent that, you felt something in you soften. Your heart started beating faster looking into those eyes. Your cheeks reddening. He knew now. There was no way to talk your way out of what he had heard.

“Yes. T-That’s why.” You looked down, not able to look him in the eye.

Why all of a sudden did you pity him? Normally, you’d be incredibly mad at a servant not knowing their place. But, why Taekwoon? The soft look in his eyes when he’d realised who he was speaking to, was almost… cute?

“Well, it’s not my place your Highness, but I may know of a way to give you what you desire”

“You could get me out of here?”

He nodded.

“I think your father would approve of a few welcoming gifts for the Prince. I’m sure the locals of the Kingdom would have a good selection for her highness to choose from. I’m sure he’d approve, especially if you had a trained .”

“Why- do you really think he would?” a smile played on your lips.

“I do believe so, your highness.”

“Why are you helping me?”

“It makes my job easier, your highness. I don’t have to catch you all the time.”

“Ah, I see. But, how do you know I won’t run once we’re out in the kingdom?”

Taekwoon stepped closer, his height towering over you as he looked deeply into your eyes. You swallowed harshly. Your heart beating even faster than before.

“If you run, the deal is off Princess. I will take you straight back to your quarters, where your father will throw away the key until your wedding day. Now, will you cooperate with me your highness?”

“Okay, okay, okay. You have my word. Now let’s talk with father.”

 


 

“I can’t believe that actually worked!” You beamed, it was the first time in a very long time that you’d been outside the castle walls. You had begged your father to leave the swarm of guards at home, however even when he agreed you knew they’d be following you and Taekwoon from a distance.

“Do you doubt me Princess?”

“Maybe I shouldn’t anymore.” You laughed lightly, a small smile creeped its way onto his face too. It was the first time you’d seen it. But, it was also the first time he’d seen you so happy.

You had began skipping ahead, finally free. All of the sights and smells, so different to the ones in the castle. The bustling market life of the locals was refreshing.

A grip around your wrist stopped you in your tracks. Taekwoon’s slender fingers found their way through yours. A ripe red blush covering your cheeks at the contact.

It had been along time since a man had held your hand. The first was with your childhood sweetheart, a boy with sharp eyes and a name you couldn’t remember. He wasn’t of noble birth but at a festival you had played together, he had held your hand and kissed your cheek. What had happened to that little boy? 

“Taekwoonie! Is that you?”  You both looked at the cheerful boy behind a stall, waving his arms trying to gain attention. 

“Jaehwan,” He sighed. “Princess, follow me.”

You nodded meekly, following behind him. From the looks of your bodyguard he wasn’t awfully happy to be meeting the boy behind the fruits, vegetable and flower covered stall.

“Ayy, I knew it was you! Why haven’t you visited? I knew you got a new job but, you could still come visit your friend now and then yo-” The boy named Jaehwan stopped talking when he saw you behind Taekwoon. 

He bowed promptly, “Your highness please forgive me, I didn’t see you there. You know, Taekwoon is a very tall man and all.” 

“Jaehwan”, Taekwoon groaned. 

You giggled, causing both men to turn and look at you. 

“It’s fine. It’s nice to meet you Jaehwan”, you grinned. You were finally meeting people again, outside of those in your castle. 

He returned your smile, picking one of the pink tulips from his stand. 

“For a beautiful Princess”, he winked playfully, laughing afterwards.

“Thank you kind sir”, you joined in on his laughter, taking the flower from him. 

You felt Taekwoon’s hand tighten around yours. It was only then that you realised he still had his hand intertwined with yours. It was also at that moment, that you realised how warm his hand was. 

You tugged on his sleeve, pulling him down to your height. “You’re still holding my hand”, you whispered. 

“I have to make sure you won’t run away from me somehow”, he whispered. 

“Why are we whispering?” Jaehwan grinned. “Ah, say no more. It’s royal business” 

You laughed, you really liked this boy. He was fun. Much more fun than other people you were surrounded with. 

“Jaehwan, we’re after a selection of local goods for a gift.” Taekwoon spoke, his playful demeanor gone. 

Jaehwan nodded, rushing off and collecting some of his goods in a basket. He even went so far as to whisper to a few neighbouring stalls and collect some fresh goods from them as well. 

Once he had finished collecting, he arranged the basket carefully. You conversed with him while he worked and you found out he was a farmer’s son and now worked the stall for his family. He was nice and he was playful, you were happy Taekwoon’s plan had worked and that you could meet him. 

“Ta-dah! All done, your highness!” 

“Thank you Jaehwan! This is lovely, please come visit the castle sometime okay?!”  

 

“Princess, look out” Taekwoon had swung you around quickly. Your eyes grew wide, a carriage was seconds away from hitting you, the horse had gone rogue and the carriage out of control. You had little time to react before you realised Taekwoon was pulling you back with him.

It all happened in slow motion, your feet swept from under you as you were pulled towards him. You both hurdled towards the ground. Taekwoon’s back hitting it harshly. Your cheek rested against his chest, his hand on your waist and the other cradling your head against him gently. 

“Are you okay?” He was out of breath.

You nodded, just as out of breath from pure shock of the event moments before. 

He smiled softly, letting out a breath. His hand your hair softly. You bit your lip and tried to ignore the heat that was making its way to your cheeks again. He lifted your chin and inspected your face to make sure you really weren’t hurt just so you could stay longer. 

His eyes met yours and you felt yourself drawing closer.