Truce?

Protector

He smiled softly, letting out a breath. His hand your hair softly. You bit your lip and tried to ignore the heat that was making its way to your cheeks again. He lifted your chin and inspected your face to make sure you really weren’t hurt just so you could stay longer.

His eyes met yours and you felt yourself drawing closer.

“Your Highness!” Your father’s guards yelled in unison. Stumbling over in their clunking silver armour. 

Yes, they were so called best knights of the kingdom but they certainly lacked subtlety. You knew your father couldn’t trust you. You suppressed the anger that was boiling up within you as metal gloves gripped your arms. In an instant you were removed from Taekwoon and placed you on your feet. 

“Let’s take you back to the castle, Princess”, the largest knight said gruffly. He gripped your arm harshly pulling you away from Taekwoon, Jaehwan and your freedom. 

A warm hand took yours, making both you and the knights stop in your tracks. 

“It is my responsibility to look after the Princess. This means taking her back,” Taekwoon spoke flatly.

The knights scoffed. 

The large man speaking again, “Yeah, like you’ve done a great job so far. Our future queen was nearly roadkill because of you and your responsibility. So why don’t you let us take the Princess back to her father, Bodyguard.” 

The knights laughed together, taking your arm and pulling you again.

“Yah! That h-hurts”, their grip on your arm was painful, their metal hands dug into the softness of your warm skin. 

Before you could even blink, the knights hands were removed and you were behind Taekwoon. Your hand found its way to his arm as you looked on at the situation from behind him. His jaw set intimidatingly as his eyes narrowed, you swallowed feeling intimidated. You almost pitied the guards for what they were going to receive. 

“Should I tell his Grace that you not only did nothing but hide behind stalls getting drunk while I actually saved our Princess from becoming what did you call it? Ah, yes… “roadkill”. If it were up to you she’d be dead and you’d be passed out on the stall floor. If it wasn’t for me your heads would be on spikes by this afternoon. If you ever touch her again, I will personally make sure that they’ll be on spikes before you can say “But your highness”. Got it?” Taekwoon threatened and the guards in all their armor shrunk like little turtles at the man before them. 

You bit your lip to hold back a chuckle. You were starting to like Taekwoon. Your father’s guards were always boorish, brainless and awful and now thanks to Taekwoon they’d probably never even look at you again, let alone invade your personal space again. 

“Now go, run back to our King and take this with you.” He shoved the basket from Jaehwan’s stall to one of the guards chests. “I will her highness back safely.” 

All of your father’s men ran off, the basket for Min Jun in their possession. 

“Now”, Taekwoon said turning to you. “Are you okay, your Highness?” 

 He took your arm gingerly into his hands, examining it carefully. Your skin was marked a red color nearly in the shape of a hand. 

Taekwoon’s jaw clenched again, “I’m going to kill them.” 

“Wh-What? No it’s okay Taekwoon…” 

“They hurt you, put their hands on you” Your heart skipped a beat at his words, he couldn’t actually care about you… could he? “I’ve failed my job as a bodyguard…” 

“Of course that’s what you care about… your job”,  just as quickly as it had happened your heart sank and the bubble burst. Of course he cared about his job. Like he’d actually care for you. And why should you care whether or not he likes you anyway? 

You shook his hands off you, moving forward towards Jaehwan’s stall. “It was nice to meet you Jaehwan, until next time.” You smiled a small, polite smile to him trying to shake the feelings of hurt from within you. 

“Goodbye, Princess! It was lovely meeting you too. Make sure to comeback anytime, Taekwoon… you too.” He smiled waving you off. 

Taekwoon nodded at him, rushing after you. “Where are you going?”

“Home. Let’s go Taekwoon.” 
 

“No. What’s wrong? Is it the guards? Are you hurt?” 

“It doesn’t matter. Let’s go.”

“It matters and we’re not going Princess, until I’m sure you’re okay.” His tone was firm, and you were surprised you had little to rebuttal with. 

You shook your head, moving towards the castle again. 

“Fine, you leave me no choice.” He muttered, scooping you up into his arms from behind. Your arms flailed and wrapped around his neck in surprise. 

“Taekwoon! Put. Me. Down. Now!” You yelled, as he held you tightly in his muscular arms in a bridal hold. 

“Nope, I’m sorry Princess. It is my duty to make sure you are safe and if I have to keep you here to make sure you’ll tell me then so be it.” 

“Taekwoon, I am your ruler! Put me down.” 

He leaned down, a smirk playing on his lips. You gulped trying for the second time that day not to look at his devilishly inviting lips. How soft and- you snapped out of it as he whispered in your ear. 

“Will you tell me what the matter is?” 

“Y-you-” 

“Me?” 

“You only care about your job, are you completely numb or something?” 

“Ah, so that’s what it’s about.”  His serious demeanor suddenly changed and he chuckled, walking forward with you in his arms. “You’re warming up to me your highness.”

“Yah! Taekwoon what are you doing?”

“I’m taking you home, dear Princess. Why? Should we do something else?” He looked down at you as he kept moving forward. 

“No-No! Yah! Stop it!” 

“Stop what? I’m just taking you home like a numb bodyguard right?” He chuckled again and you were biting your lip once more to stop yourself from smiling at him. This was a new side to him and you liked it. His smile and his laugh made you feel weird inside. 

“Stop making me flustered, you fool!” You tried to remain serious. “I’m your princess you need to treat me with respect.” 

“Is it still respect if I do this?” He asked letting his arms fall as he bent to catch you at the last second. You flailed, your heart sped up, your arms clenched around his neck tightly as your eyes screwed shut. 

He laughed again and you opened your eyes. “Yah! You nearly dropped me!” You smacked his chest with one hand. 

“Sorry your numb bodyguard’s arms fell asleep.” He smirked. 

“Okay, okay. Maybe you’re not completely numb. C-can we just go home now?” 

“You’ll let me carry you with no complaints now?” You nodded against his chest.

“J-Just don’t drop me.”

“Of course. I have to protect more than just my job, right?” 

“Your highness?” He asked a while later as you were nearing the castle gates. 

“Yes”, you asked still clinging onto him. 

“Can we try to work with each other now? No more running?” 

“We’ll see.” 

“Ah! My arms seem to be falling asleep again” 

“Don’t you dare!” You held on tighter, looking into his eyes. 

“Please?” 

“It will depend on my intended, but until then… I can try.” 

He smiled as you both walked into the castle and through to the throneroom. 

“Ah, daughter, there you are. Meet your future husband, Prince Minjun”