Trapped

Protector

“Meet your future husband, Prince Minjun”

Taekwoon placed you back on your feet immediately. Your fingers reaching out to smooth the delicate material of your dress.

“Future Husband? Father, shouldn’t I have a say in the matter? I will be spending the rest of my life with him will I not?” You remarked, eyebrows raising in disbelief at your father’s sudden decision.

“There have been more than enough Suitors for you to choose daughter. I have ran out of patience. Besides, Prince Minjun is an eligible Prince who is perfectly capable of providing a Princess an heir to my Kingdom”, you could feel the anger building. How dare he just spring some random man on you? No proper warning. No banquet in preparation. Nothing. 

“It will be my Kingdom soon enough, then I will have the power to be rid of you and your Suitors, Father.”

“I am the King and you will do as I say! Prince Minjun is from a very wealthy family and he will be a fine King,” Your father roared.

“It is my life and I want to choose who I’ll marry!” You yelled, frustrated. “I am not just some land that you can auction off to the highest bidder. I’m your only daughter! I have a life!” You inched closer, standing directly in front of your father’s throne.

Your eyes bore into his, teeth clenched, hands fisted by your sides. You refused to let this go without a fight. This was your freedom, your happiness, your potential happily ever after with your one true love. You weren’t going to let it go this easily.

A cough interrupted the tension in the room. 

There stood a man dressed in white and purple lavish silks, a dazzling crown upon his Auburn hair. The man was tall, his skin lightly tanned, his eyes wrinkled slightly around the edges, his lips upturned in a smirk. He had to be in his thirties at least.

Beside him a shorter man with thickly rimmed glasses, much more of a baby face, pale skin, a scroll in his hands. Behind him stood forty guards dressed in heavy metallic armor the purple sigil of the Princes family draped on the front their armor attached to heavy golden capes.

“Please let me introduce our Prince Minjun of the Kim Household. First of his name and second born son to his Highness Kim Woohyun. The short man announced. 

“I have travelled great lengths to meet you Princess.” Minjun stepped forward bowing. His calloused hand taking your delicate one forcefully in his, placing a wet kiss on it. You tried shaking your hand off desperately, only to feel his grip get tighter before moving away. 

You scoffed in disgust, your nose crinkling at the slick substance on your hand as well as the man that caused it. 

 “Well then, as it seems he has a long trip home. You better leave immediately.” You wiped your hand on the back of your dress, you’d have to get your maids to burn it later.

“Father please, I don’t even know this man! How can you be so narrow-minded as to marry me off to someone I’ve never met before? Just because he has money!”

“Your mother and I married after only seeing each other at the ends of a wedding hall. Watch your tone daughter!

“But father!”

“Your Highness, please give me a chance. I will prove I’m worth your hand. My Kingdom is large. I have vast amounts of wealth and I promise I will make you the bearer of many… many heirs,” Prince Minjun intervened.

“I would rather jump out of my tower window than to be wed to you.” 

“I have had enough!” Your father roared, his hand flying out and slapping your cheek harshly. You were sent flying backwards. A red hot sting landed upon your cheek. Warm tears flooded your vision. Your lower lip trembled, your hand reaching up to hold your burning skin. 

“Prince Minjun is the man you will marry and that is final.”

You ran off, unable to handle the situation anymore. That man was completely wrong for you. Not only that, you’d nearly been flattened by a carriage today. But, above all your father had humiliated you and hit you in front of an audience. 

Heavy footsteps padded behind you. Taekwoon was right on your heels.

“Your highness, maybe you should give him a chance?”

“Taekwoon not now! Go back to father. I’m sure he’ll be missing his personal lap dog.” 

“Your high-” 

“Go!” You demanded, your voice becoming more shrill. 

You sniffled, your chest shaking as you tried to control your breathing. You wanted to cry but you were not about to do it in front of him. 

Taekwoon stood rooted to the spot. His sharp eyes watching you intensely.

You heaved a heavy sigh running up the marbled stair case. No, you wouldn’t be sold off. Not this time. You were adamant, you would find somewhere to stay and get out of the Kingdom somehow, find your freedom. You’d show your father, you didn’t need him, his money or his god-awful taste in suitors. 

You ran into the library as fast as you could. You picked up your dress, allowing you to run faster. You’d make your way to the tall stain glass window, climb a bookcase or two. You’d shimmy out of the window and then down the vinery and out of the gates. Nightfall would cover the Kingdom in it’s inky shield soon enough and you would make your escape with ease. 

You pushed the heavy wooden door of the library; pushing the metal bar across the door, locking it behind you. 

You lifted your dress again making your way to the mahogany bookcase, carefully climbing up it. You kept your focus, trying to remain as quiet as possible as to not spark suspicion. 

You were almost to the top of the bookcase when a large crash sounded, you turned the library door splinted, Taekwoon made his way through the entry heading straight for you. You hurriedly made your way to the top of the case, you jumped, your fingertips brushing the window, but to no avail. 

“Princess. Please come down.” 

“No. You stay right there Taekwoon, that’s an order.” You looked down at the tall man below you. Your arm flinging out to point a finger at him in warning. 

You turned back to the stone wall of the library. Your body stretched as far as you could, your fingers finally reaching the window sill. You pulled yourself up to sit on the high window. 

“Princess! Get down now!” Taekwoon shouted. Your movements halted for a moment. He was so quiet normally. He’d never yelled at you. 

“Come any closer and I’ll jump,” you warned. He shook his head, his longer limbs having no problem climbing the bookcase before you’d even registered he’d reached you. With a sharp tug on your dress you’d fallen over his shoulder. Both of you standing upon the heavy bookcase. 

Your flailed, arms and legs kicking out and hitting him as much as you could. You would not go back to your father. 

“Let me go this instant!” 

“Stay still,” his tone was icy and you froze. You slumped against him, your chest tightening as you realised you were trapped. Taekwoon’s vice-like grip had foiled your plans of escape. He successfully made his way down to the floor with your cooperation. 

He placed you on your feet, a sigh leaving his plush lips. “Your highness-”

“Please. Not now okay. I don’t need another lecture. I just.. want to be alone.” 

You turned to leave only to have you wrist caught in a warm grasp. You were spun towards a solid chest. You were completely overwhelmed, not only were you almost killed by a carriage today you’ve been auctioned off. There was no more tricks or plans you could throw, this was it. Whether you loved him or not you were stuck with Prince Minjun.

Tears welled in your eyes again, your hands clenched into fists as the thoughts of marriage settled in. You beat furiously against his chest. 

“Please… let me go,” the tears now flowing in soft streams down your rosy cheeks.

“Shhh… It’s been a long day, your highness.” His hands your hair in long, delicate . He pulled you closer and you couldn’t help but fall into his embrace. You were upset and his chest was warm and inviting. Your hands clasped Taekwoon’s shirt as your body shook in a sob. 

You both stood there for a while, you sobbing hopelessly in his arms and Taekwoon just hushing you softly and your hair. 

“Let’s get you into your room, hm? I can tell your handmaidens to bring you some supper if you wish. Or I can r-read to you? No more tears, Princess. Hm?”

You nodded. Your feet disappeared from under you and you were back in his arms for the second time today. Too exhausted to argue further. Your head laid softly against Taekwoon’s chest as he carried you back to your chamber. 

He’d won this battle for now.

-

You were sleeping soundly, your long eyelashes fanning lightly against your cheeks as you slept. Taekwoon pulled your blanket securely around your shoulders, tucking you in comfortably. You weren’t so bad when you weren’t screaming or trying to escape him constantly.

A small smile on his lips, as he watched your peaceful slumber.  Taekwoon leaned forward out of instinct he brushed some hair gently from your face, leaning even closer and pressing a tender kiss to your forehead. 

 He’d do a round of the castle and ensure your safety and to secure your escape routes. 

He’d come check on you later, before retiring for the night. 

-

“As long as the royal buffoon likes me it won’t matter what the little princess thinks. She’ll be mine, the Kingdom will be mine. Then I can dispose of her royal pain in the , the moment after we say I do.”

“You’re such a genius sire”

“I know and they will never be any of the wiser, I am an heir to one of the largest Kingdoms they’d never second guess our alliance by marriage. They’ll be begging me to wed their pain of a daughter. Once I say I do, I will have the two largest kingdoms under my command and as many mistresses as I could ever want.” He chuckled darkly.

“What about the bodyguard Sire, he wouldn’t let the princess out of his sight?”

“Oh, I have a trick up my sleeve for that pest.” The Prince chuckled, his hand reaching into his royal robes. He presented a small red vile to his companion, securing it away quickly after. 

“They will never suspect a thing. The Princess will follow him soon enough, after I bed her of course. She may be a pain but I have to make sure our wedding is consummated to become a legitimate King, don’t I?” He laughed again.

Little did Prince Minjun and his faithful servant  know that they had an audience listening in on their scheme… and his blood was boiling.