Dangerous

Protector

The carriage you were in roared to life, Minjun’s hand landing with a resonating smack against your dress as he rested his palm on your leg. You truly resented your father right at this moment. 

You both had spent the afternoon in the marketplace of your kingdom. You tried to greet everyone warmly and listen to concerns while Minjun often groaned and kept his nose upturned at your people. It was truly frustrating. How could you and your Kingdom be left to such a beast? He simply strode the streets with his head held high, muttering now and then to his manservant. For a majority of the visit you were left ignored and almost alone with your people, Taekwoon very close behind you of course. Taekwoon was gracious and took any offerings the people gave you with gratitude and finesse, wishing them all well with their business as you both passed.

You thanked your people and ensured them that you would attempt resolving their concerns as soon as you were Queen. Many were hungry or living with very little, and you felt burdened with a deep sadness for your people. They looked toward your family and yet all your father seemed to care about was marrying you off to Minjun.

A gentleman and a perfect Prince, he’d often tell you. Gentleman, you wanted to scoff.

Before your carriage took off on its current journey, Minjun had barged in first not caring that he’d almost pushed you onto the dirt. Taekwoon’s jaw hardened as her offered a hand as he helped you into the carriage, trying very hard not to use his years of fighting such pathetic excuses of a man to use.

You ignored Minjun, trying desperately to tune out his conversation with his cohort. The carriage halted suddenly, you lurching forward landing unceremoniously on Taekwoon’s lap, while Minjun and his servant landed toward the floor and the empty space beside Taekwoon. You could hear muffled yelling outside of the carriage and your heart began thumping anxiously.

“Are you alright, your highness?” Taekwoon asked, arms wrapping around you to help you sit upright in his lap. You straightened up and huffed out that you were okay, as you listened further to the chaos outside of the carriage.

“Stay here, don’t come out unless I come for you. Prince Minjun, please keep her safe.” Begrudgingly Taekwoon left joining a couple of your guards that had already begun to defend your carriage. The yells got louder, the distinct sound of metal meeting metal clanging echoed throughout the carriage. You couldn’t sit idly by, no matter how afraid you were.


Before you could even reach it the door swung open, a dirty looking man in the entrance of your carriage,  his yellowed and decaying teeth shown as a smirk grew on his face. Minjun yelled, hiding behind his companion. Thinking quickly, you picked up one of the baskets of fruit given to you by your people. You felt guilty about the waste of their efforts as you swung the heavy object to hit the man in the face. Taekwoon appeared from behind the man as he fell unconscious from your blow, a small amused smile on his face as he dragged the man away. He seemed to be the last of them, the rest on the forest floor. Minjun and his servant quivered behind you as you watched Taekwoon bind the men together. He’d have the guards take care of them.

Taekwoon clambered back into the carriage, one of the guards jumping into the driver’s seat behind your horses.

“Did he touch you? Harm you?” Taekwoon asked worriedly, his eyes scanning your body for any signs of injury. 

You shook your head, “I made sure he was well acquainted with a fruit basket before that happened.” You smiled softly, to mask the way your heart was fluttering from all the adrenaline.

“Luckily her highness was here to defend against bandits, your highness.” Taekwoon muttered. You could tell he had a few more choice words as he looked in the direction of the quivering prince, but he refrained and turned his attention back to you. 

“I’m relieved. I apologise I didn’t get to you sooner, your highness.” He took one of your hands in his, “Please forgive me.”

You nodded, surprised and flustered at the suddenness. “You-You’re forgiven.” You removed your hand from his grasp, and turned to look out the carriage window.

“Guard, go! I wish to be back in the palace immediately. We have a ball to prepare for.” Minjun huffed seemingly peeved.

Odd.

 

 

You took each step carefully as you descended down the marble stairway. The lavender dress you wore was beautiful with flower and lace embellishments, however the dress had layers and layers of tulle and made it hard to carry. The silver glittering heels made no effort in helping you lug the dress and yourself down the stairs. You noticed Minjun and his manservant sniggering away with a few “noble” ladies, obviously amused by the Prince’s disgusting suggestions and conversation. You grimaced, that would be your future husband. With a quick shake of your head, you halted. 

Looking around the lavish ballroom, you noticed how happy these people were in comparison to those who you visited in the streets of your kingdom. Riches and large land ownership that half of these people, including yourself, probably didn’t deserve. Those who worked day in and day out in your kingdom were starving and here these people were overindulging in wine and barely nibbling at the vast display of food. You knew if you gave any of these platters to those that were your people, they’d find a way to use every scrap to either fuel themselves or their economy. Seeds of the barely touched fruits could help in their farming and businesses. You’d make a change, someday things would be restored to how you knew your Kingdom could be.

Taekwoon cleared his throat, and you looked up, the breath being knocked from you. Instead of his usual stuffy look... He looked handsome. There he stood, one hand behind his back, the other extended toward you. A blue silk shirt complimenting his smooth skin and his luscious ebony hair parted and styled perfectly. His black leather pants clung to the skin of his thighs and calves, freshly polished boots finishing his ensemble and for something rather simple it was breathtaking.

“You look very beautiful, your highness” he complimented. 

“I would like to invite everyone to dance the very first waltz with a man or lady they did not accompany this evening.” A man called from his spot in front of the band that played the music for your pre-engagement ball to Minjun.

You supposed you were attending this with Minjun, it was a pre-engagement ceremony after all. So dancing with Taekwoon would be appropriate.

“May I have the honor, your highness?” Taekwoon asked softly. “I apologise, you probably want to dance with someone wi-”

You slipped your fingers through his delicately, lightly tugging on his hand as your heels clacked onto the marble floor below the last step of the staircase.

“I’m not a very good dancer, you may regret your offer,” you smirked, pulling him to the middle of the floor.

“Everyone can be a great dancer, your highness. You just need the right partner.” 

Taekwoon smiled graciously as he hesitantly grasped the small of your back. Your hands shook with a nervousness and excitement as your free hand clasped on his shoulder. Was Taekwoon always this tall? Your arm too short to reach from the distance you stood, you stepped closer your faces only mere centimeters away. His hand that held yours tightened slightly in encouragement, his long fingers gently sliding between yours.

The music picked up into a slow and relaxing tune and you felt Taekwoon move your bodies away from the spot you had both stood. You tried your best to clumsily follow his lead, as you twirled and spun around the dancefloor. A huff escaped your lips as your face tilted to watching the floor as you copied and mirrored the steps he took. How could he make it look so easy? He chuckled for a moment, whispering an ‘if you’ll excuse me’ before the hand he had on your waist was urging you closer until the bottom of your shoes rested on top of his boots.

You could feel his feet move your bodies with ease as he guided you through the steps with you now on his feet. To anyone else it would look as if you were simply dancing perfectly in tune with each other, the excessive material of your dress hiding the fact that you wouldn’t be able to dance half as gracefully without his help. You twirled and danced together and you for the first time in a long time you felt a small surge of joy. Watching his face carefully, as you felt your bodies twirling among the other guests, your stunning purple dress fanning out as you danced.

Usually at these parties you would find a quick way to escape and be free of your father’s dull choice of company, but dancing this close to anyone was new for you. You were so close, you’d never noticed the glimmer in Taekwoon’s dark eyes or the way the corners of his lips twitched into a small smile, some part of you felt drunk off of all the things you were noticing, your heart involuntarily leaping in your chest. You’d certainly never had that happen before. He looked down at you, as you tilted your gaze upwards from his lips to meet his eyes. Your skin prickled with goosebumps as he looked at you with such a soft gaze you questioned if he was the same man who fought of an onslaught of bandits earlier that day.

You smiled at each other softly, enjoying the swell of the music and the joy of being just a man and a woman who were dancing with one another, instead of anyone else. Everyone seemed to disappear and you felt yourself leaning closer. Only then realising what you were doing, you pulled away slightly, going back to watching the floor and how your dress swished about.

Taekwoon bowed his head, lips lingering close to your ear as he whispered. “I told you you were a great dancer, your highness” he chuckled, pulling away just as quickly as he came.

“Perhaps, I had it in me the whole time” you mused. “Or perhaps I fou-”

“Mind if I cut in? I’d like a dance with my wife”, Minjun’s voice seethed. Your body shook as it irrupted into goosebumps again, although it was different this time. Your heart sank, as you were harshly removed from Taekwoon’s hold and yanked into Minjun’s arms. You felt any of your jovial mood turn bitter and perhaps even a little saddened as your fingers slipped from Taekwoon’s your fingertips brushing his as Minjun spun you away.

“I’m not your wife yet Minjun,” you growled as he pulled you in closer to “dance”.

“Oh, but you will be. I should have him beheaded for touching what’s mine,” Minjun snarled. You noticed immediately how different he felt from Taekwoon. 

Minjun’s steps were inexperienced and his hold on you was rough. His hands were sweaty and violent, his fingers clenched around yours as he pulled you around the dance floor. Taekwoon’s hands were soft, lightly calloused from experience but still gentle, he knew exactly what he was doing and how to hold a woman. Where Minjun was brutish and exuded the presence of a man bragging to other noblemen and royalty alike, Taekwoon lead and guided making the dance about two people enjoying each other’s company instead of anything else. Your heart felt stale and almost heavy in your chest when you felt Minjun’s viper like grip on you, yet your heart leapt when you were so close to Taekwoon.

You scoffed, “I am not some object and I am certainly not your possession.” You focused on stomping your high heel onto his foot, distracting him enough with the pain for you to be able to run away. Your feelings were on a high and you were confused and frazzled, but you knew the time had come. You’d had men and woman give whispers to you and Taekwoon, discreetly building a case again Minjun for a while now.

It was now or never, you had been plotting your next move for weeks now and it seemed like it would be a perfect time to execute your plan. Minjun’s advances had made you sick to your stomach, he would never see you as anything more than an object, an heir-maker at most and his way to be King of a large kingdom. 

You made your way to your father, making an excuse about how the corset of your dress was beginning to make you feel lightheaded and you wished to retire to your room for a while. The alcohol and your father’s large amount of companions distracted him enough to wave you away and at least somewhat buy the excuse you had given. Perfect. You’d bowed slightly to your parents, nodding your head to his company just as Taekwoon had arrived. Thankfully, your father called on him bragging about Taekwoon’s efforts with the bandits you’d recently faced.

With hast you made your way to the stairs, signalling to your favorite handmaiden, as you rushed towards your quarters.

-

In her open palm a heavy purse of golden coins rested. She looked at you with a nervousness etched into her features. It was more than just her job she was putting on the line, it was her life and her family’s too. But if it paid off, she and her family would be set for life, the purse in her shaking hand the first of three bags promised. You smiled reassuringly, your time was dwindling and you had to hurry. You whispered a promise that you’d be back before sunrise, as she rushed to change from her dress into one of your silk nightgowns. In moments you were helped out of your ballgown and into her dress. It was a simple light blue dress made from fine cotton, your father insisted all within the palace look presentable. A thin cape black as ink draped over your shoulders, she helped you out of the door, placing a silver tray from your bedside in your hands. The plan was to make sure it looked as if you were ill and were being taken care of for the night, while your handmaiden stayed hidden in your room covering for you while you were going to go to the best source of rumors when it came to royalty.

“Good luck your highness” she whispered as you closed the door behind you.

A hand gripped your upper arm as you made your way toward the kitchen, “Is her highness, okay?” Taekwoon’s soft voice held firm. No wonder some of your servants ran when they saw you both approaching. His stoic professionalism around others, contrasted the man you’d become more comfortable with over the past few months. You almost felt bad for betraying his trust like this, you’d be getting along so much more swimmingly lately. Focusing all of your energy on Minjun certainly made initial hatred dissipate quickly.

You simply bowed your head and scurried off before he could ask many more questions. Even if he would find out, you needed a head start and your faithful handmaiden would give you that. It had taken days of convincing in secret when she helped you bathe or dress, essentially times where Taekwoon was just outside of the room instead of in it. You had assured her that if you both were caught to tell Taekwoon it was your doing, you’d handed her a hand signed note assuring the very same a few days prior. If any trouble arose, give it to Taekwoon and she would be safe.

You’d managed to leave the tray and escape the gates through the kitchen door. You’d ran, thankful for the amounts of people that flooded the palace as it gave you a better chance to go unnoticed.

You’d ran through the streets and into the night, knowing that if there was a place to share your trouble it was the local tavern. Such a place was known to be regularly visited by those hired or even those who had encountered royalty or those of noble birth. The amounts of ale consumed making it easy for a slip of tongue.

“Now, I told Prince snooty already, you think he would listen. No? I told him if you wanted the job done you needed my men, but alas he ignored my warning.” A man with a long beard and a glass of cheap ale playing in his hands. You kept your hood drawn to hide your face, as you approached.

“A word if you will, sir”, you mumbled approaching his table.

“Away girl, I have no time for you... Unless you make it worth my while.”

You scoffed. Reaching into your cloak you placed a purse of gold onto his lap, “A word is all I require.” His eyes widened and he gestured to a secluded table in a dark corner of the tavern.

“What do you know of Prince Minjun? Tell me all that you know and I will give you ten times the amount of which you hold now.” You could see the doubt that crossed his face, before you reached for another bag.

“Hm... What did you want to know?”

He chuckled as he told his story of how once he was hired to kill the bride of a neighbouring kingdom, the certain bride to be married to your current husband to be. He even produced a torn scroll written to one of his men inquiring about prices of bandits with a certain date... todays date to be exact. The more you talked to this man the more Minjun’s fate was set in stone. Never double-cross a man who had nothing to lose, especially someone that was as crooked as the man before you. You’d given him all the gold he required as you took the note from his hands, stuffing it promptly down your dress and hidden securely in your undergarments. You bid him farewell, passing him a stowed bag of gold that you kept for emergencies into his palm, asking for his lips to remain sealed as you disappeared from the tavern and into the night.

-

You hadn’t made it far past the tavern when you heard fast steps approaching you from behind and turned to see Taekwoon approaching on a white horse. 

“Did you honestly think that you could fool me, your highness?” He scoffed, “You are not a very convincing liar, as much as you would like to believe it. Get on, there’s too many ears out here” he urged, offering a hand down to pull you up onto the horse. Taekwoon urged the horse to move again as he guided you both toward the forest near the palace. When he felt that you were out of earshot enough he slowed the horse, promptly hopping down and securing it to a tree. 

He held both of his arms up for you and you leaned forward, extending your arms down to wrap around his neck as he helped you down. 

“Why did you run away? I thought we were passed this!” He sighed. 

“I didn’t run. I went to get to the bottom of these whispers!” 

“You could have told me! I could have sent someone! What if they found out who you truly were, they would have-”

“It doesn’t matter! I have written word that Prince Minjun paid for the bandits that attacked us and that he was plotting to kill me...us. He will be found for treason and I will not ha-”

“You could have been killed or worse!” He argued, you shrunk back slightly. Taekwoon was very stern in his was of talking but he had never raised his voice to you, he wouldn’t have dared. “Those are very dangerous men in there and you cou-you could’ve died...” he trailed off. “If something happened I don’t know what I would do with myself.”

“Taekwoon, I’m unharmed and now I have all the proof we need.”

“You are a very dangerous woman, your highness. You are so unthinkingly brave, it’s alarming.” He sighed. “You could have lost your life tonight and all you care to think about is proof.”

“I care because now I am free from Minjun, do you realise it Taekwoon? What it is like to be around that man? To be promised to him? All he thinks about is how I belong to him, how I am a possession and just something he can clutch in his grubby little hands when he wants something. He doesn’t care for me, he’ll probably kill me too eventually. And I being with him tonight I just couldn’t stand the thought of not feeli-” you shook your head frustrated. “No, it doesn’t matter. But we must hurry.”

“Of not feeling what, your highness?”

“Taekwoon,” you warned.

“Princess,” he whispered, stepping closer to you. “Please, as your loyalest servant I humbly ask you finish.” He urged.

“Of not feeling the way I felt... when I danced with you.” 

He bit his lip, a full smile breaking onto his features. “Well then, I am very glad that you are one tough and brave woman tonight. Otherwise we may not have gotten to finish our dance.”

You looked at him questionably.

“Will her highness give me the absolute pleasure of dancing with me?” He asked.

“There’s no music and we-” his low humming silenced your complaints, his hands moving yours to rest on his shoulder and the other pressed against his palm, his fingers threading through yours. His hand found the small of you back again as you gasped at the feather-like touch. You both fell into a rhythm similar to the dance you’d shared earlier that night.

“What exactly are you feeling your highness?”

“I-I”, you stumbled. “I’m not sure. I’ve never felt like the before.”

“Your hands are trembling.” He murmured.

“You make me nervous.” You admitted.

“Do I? I apologise.” But he made no effort to move away. Instead, he pulled you closer, your head resting against his chest as your bodies now brushed against each other. 

“Your heart is beating very fast your highness.” He noted. “You’re safe here with me, I promise. I’ll never let anyone hurt you.” 

You nodded simply against his chest. Trying to slow your heartbeat, but to no avail. 

“Taekwoon. I’m sorry Minjun ruined our dance.”

“I’m sorry, your highness.”

“What for?”

“For being a weaker man than I’d like to admit.” He whispered. 
 

His head tilted, his lips brushing against yours lightly. His lips connected with yours and you had to withhold the gasp that escaped your lips as you found a rhythm against the others lips. His lips were soft and his kiss was experienced. He had taken your very first kiss. It felt as if your heart stopped beating, the world stopped turning and all you could think about was how his lips felt against yours. His hand that was holding yours moved so your hand draped over his shoulder before he intertwined his fingers behind your back.

He pulled away, resting his forehead against yours. “You keep getting yourself in these dangerous circumstance and you drive me utterly insane, I know it is wrong to intrude on a betrothed woman, but you deserved to be kissed by someone who cares for you. Who may even love you. I’m sorry to have overstep-”

Without a second thought, you grabbed the silk collar of his shirt, pulling him forward. “You’re forgiven.” Your lips caressed against his again and you felt sparks ignite from within you. “Just stop talking and kiss me, that is an order from your Princess, Taekwoon.”

You both smiled into your second kiss and you’d lost track of the time. Being in Taekwoon’s arms made your head spin perhaps you were just running on adrenaline of the day or perhaps... you felt something completely new. 

“Let’s head to the palace your highness, your father has some very exciting news to learn” Taekwoon turned back to help you onto the horse, only to widen his eyes. In the split second he’d had his back turned to grab the horse, they’d attacked.

“Step any closer and I’ll kill her.” Minjun’s man servant stood behind you. His grotty hand clasped around your mouth, silver blade pressed into the juncture of your neck.

Minjun’s men surrounded, pouncing on Taekwoon in numbers of thirty or more. Thick layers of rope wrapped tightly around his arms and chest. He grunted, desperately fighting against his bindings. If he wasn’t so distracted by your capture he would’ve fought them all off, been halfway to the palace and would be rid of Minjun.

“Take him. His highness would like to speak with him. As for our Princess... Minjun is waiting in her quarters”

-

By the time you had been thrown haphazardly in a carriage and taken to the palace Taekwoon was gone. It was only on your way to your quarters had you realised Minjun was not there, in fact he was beside your father. Taekwoon bound at their feet.

“They’d been conspiring together, sire.” Minjun faked sadness. “Your unloyal guard has been having an affair with my dear Princess and even conspired with bandits to take me out of the picture. He nearly killed our future queen with those dirty men.” He yelled.

Your father sighed, veins strained against his neck as he supressed his anger. Tiredly rubbing his temples, he grunted, “I will deal with you in the morning” as he looked at you. “Taekwoon, your treason will be discussed in the morning.”

You looked at your father in absolute shock. “Father please! Taekwoon had nothing to do with this.”

“I will not rest until this traitor is punished and his head on spike for his sins.” Minjun snarled.

“Enough!” Your father bellowed. “I am the King and I said we will discuss this in the morning. Take the Prince and Princess to their separate quarters and take Taekwoon to the tower. Now!”

Guards moved Taekwoon, he couldn’t even look at you his entire body crestfallen. He’d failed not only his king and the kingdom, but he’d failed you.

Your heart ached as you watched them vanish from the room. Minjun walked beside you as guards escorted you both. 

“What a pity, you’ll have to kiss your lover goodbye when his lips are no longer attached to his body.” Minjun snickered, walking away and into his chamber. 

You gritted your teeth. No Minjun’s reign of terror over you and your people was ending tonight. You halted, bumping into your guards. With a quick apology they bowed, deeply concerned that they’d hurt the princess. 

You smirked, you had everything you needed. Paperwork stuffed into your undergarments and a key now hidden in your palm.