Chapter 1 - Escapee

Protector

“Find her!” The King’s voice boomed throughout the throne room. His loyal guards and servants sent scurrying to pass on the message through the kingdom. All of them knew what would happen if they didn’t quickly obey the King in a good mood, let alone when he was furious.

 

The King rubbed his temples in frustration. How could this have happened again? He thought he had made all of the adjustments to stop this from occurring again.

 

The Princess had escaped from the palace grounds for the fifth time in the past two months. It seemed that every time an adjustment was made she’d get more creative in her escape. The King and Queen had tried all methods that they could think of; everything from placing guards at her door, moving her room to the highest tower, employing more guards to the palace, trying to keep her busy with royal errands. Nothing seemed to work.

 

The King was well and truly stumped. What else could he do? A thought passed through his mind but he shook his head quickly at the ridiculous solution. A Princess in the dungeon because her own father couldn’t keep her under control? Ridiculous. What kind of King would he look like if he did that?

 

“Sire”, the King’s royal Advisor spoke softly. The Advisor was a soft and ageing man, full of wisdom from his many years of advising the King. The King looked up at his loyal friend.

 

“I think it’s time to have a more serious measure be used for the Princess.” The King raised an eyebrow, willing his friend to continue.

 

“My nephew, he’s been a loyal knight to your guard. Guarding the Kingdom’s far boundaries and only doing right for his King. He is well trained in not only fighting, but in politics as well. He could be an asset to the princess; mentoring and also keeping her safe, and within the palace. At least until she finds a suitor and becomes queen. Maybe a reward is in order for his service… no longer a protector of boundaries but of one of the Kingdom’s most precious treasures” The advisor suggested.

 

The King huffed, unsure. He’d only met his royal advisor’s nephew a few times before. Could he really put his daughter in the hands of a man he hardly knew?

“A loyal knight, that your daughter is unaware of. Too far away for her to have met him before. Someone she can’t use her usual tricks on. My nephew is a well educated man.  A man good at what he does. He’d be suited to protect the Princess… ensure she doesn’t get into trouble. He’s a few years older than the Princess, a very mature man that is not fooled easily. If he becomes her personal guard it’d be very hard for mischief to find the Princess,” the Advisor concluded.

 

A sigh left the King’s lips. He had to try, he trusted his friends judgement. Besides, he was desperate at this point. The Princess needed to become serious and find a suitable future King so she could take over the throne one day. This would be near impossible if she kept escaping and humiliating every suitor that passed through the doors.

 

“Send for him. The Princess has gone too far this time. It has been days since her disappearance and not a soul in the Kingdom has seen her.”

 

“As you wish your Majesty, I will send for him right awa-” The Advisors speech was cut as the throne rooms marble doors were thrown open.

 

A tall man with cat like eyes strode a few steps into the throne room before clearing his throat. When nothing happened he walked back into the hallway, nudging a smaller girl forward and into the King and Advisors sights.

 

The girl made a quick effort to duck under his arm and make an escape seconds later while he was entering the room. It only took the man a split second to disappear and reappear. He tried pushing her forward again. However, stubborn as she was the princess dug her heels into the marbled floor making it difficult for the taller male. With a roll of his eyes and a sigh, he threw the girl over his shoulder. Her smaller fists pounded against his back as she cursed at him.

 

The male huffed, putting her down after ensuring she was far enough in making her stand in the throne room. He closed the doors behind himself this time, taking the Princess’s wrist tight in his grip shortly after. He strode forward with the Princess in tow. The Princess hurriedly trying to get the death like grip off of her. The man arrived in front of the King and his advisor.

 

“Uncle”, the man greeted briefly. “Your Majesty”, he bowed.

 

“Taekwoon”, the advisor spoke. “You’re over efficient as always. It seems you have started earlier than expected.”