Miss Temptation

The Other Woman

≈≈≈≈≈≈

It took all effort Sehun had to close the gap between him and Namjoo. His insides quivered when he approached her with his façade of bravery.

“You came,” he said halting a step in front of her although he imagined it was more of a question he wanted her to answer. Yes, why did you come?

With a smug grin she replied, “I’m a person of my words.”

“If you haven’t eaten, would you like something? It’s on the house,” he offered.

Tapping fingers against her purse she glanced around, “What do you have in mind?”

“Whatever you want,” he said then pulled on a smile. “Unless you’d prefer to make your own meal.”

“Why don’t you make me something?” Namjoo proposed with a glint of mischief in her eyes. “Can you cook?”

“I can,” he confidently answered. “And you?”

“No,” she said and didn’t seem an ounce ashamed of the fact.

“It’s not on the menu, but I can make you omurice.” he suggested. “Would you like how to learn how to make it?”

“A chef allowing someone into his kitchen?” Namjoo asked. “I’ve never heard of that.”

“I’m not really a chef,” Sehun said as he turned to walk back into the kitchen then glanced back at her, “and you’re not just anyone.”

Once in he pulled chicken, mushrooms, onion, and eggs out of the fridge. From behind Namjoo wondered, “I didn’t imagine your café would carry meat.”

“We have a lunch menu of sandwiches,” Sehun explained as he pulled out the cutting board and a knife after they washed their hands. “Should we start your first cooking lesson?”

Namjoo’s eyes dropped toward the knife, “I don’t cook.”

“And I’ve never taught anyone,” Sehun told, “so why don’t we share our firsts together?” Holding the knife out he urged her closer. When she finally grasped onto it Sehun immediately wrapped his other arm around her, pushing her near the counter, locking her within the trap of his arms. Then wrapping his hand around hers he leaned over her shoulder to say, “Don’t worry. I have skilled hands.”

Namjoo’s hair brushed against his face when she turned to glance at him. He about lost it when he got a good whiff of her perfume, feminine and flowery. Other than the fact that he was gripping her hand, she was bound against him. It felt right and a little wrong. She triggered his senses in a bad way. Being so close made him wonder how it’d be to be even closer, maybe above and maybe under her.

She smugly grinned and he felt as if she intentionally pressed her cheek into his. “Then I can’t wait to see how good your hands are.”

Sehun flushed with embarrassment. They obviously didn’t stand on the same level and he hated to think she was more experienced with flirting and going there…with other men. The image of Jongin looking goofy the other night with lipstick stained on his shirt abruptly filled him with unease.

Damn it!

If Jongin could go there, he would too. He wouldn’t be a fool again and let Namjoo step all over him with her high arrogance. She would plead for him. Sehun would make her plead for him.

Determination burst through his veins but before he could do anything a voice shouted, “Namjoo!”

They both turned at the voice. To his left Sehun spotted a man staring right at them with a frown. It took a moment for Sehun to realize that this man wasn’t eyeing him, but Namjoo. His gaze turned vicious when it landed on Sehun then back to Namjoo. Sehun’s defenses aroused when the man continued to stare.

Regret fluttered through Sehun when Namjoo slipped out from his arms and reached for her purse. “Looks like I have to cut our lesson short.”

“Who…” he began but she cut him off.

“Lets resume another time,” mischief sparked in her eyes again when she glanced at him before walking out. The man wheeled around and followed Namjoo out. Sehun wanted to follow and find out who he was and what he wanted from her, but the stare of one of his employees turned the thought loose.

“What?” Sehun demanded.

The lanky employee grinned in a silly way before holding out a thumbs up, “I’m just surprised, boss. You were really smooth there.”

“Get back to work,” he ordered trying to keep his embarrassment at bay then turned back to the counter where the ingredients for Namjoo’s breakfast sat. He imagined she would have been impressed with his food. Too bad it didn’t happen.

Just who was that man?

Urged, Sehun turned back around to stare at the doors. Maybe he should have followed. No, he wanted to follow them. The ringing of his phone forced him to halt in his step forward. Pulling his phone out he discovered it was his father calling. Rolling his eyes Sehun intended to ignore the old man, but he answered anyway.

“What?” he asked annoyed.

“Don’t make any plans for dinner. There’s a very important person I want you to meet,” his father said.

More irked with the sudden order Sehun excused, “I can’t. I have plans.”

“Cancel your plans. Tonight, I want you to meet Soobin’s son,” his father explained.

Son? That would mean Namjoo’s brother. Sehun’s curiosity heightened. He’d never met the brother before.

“Why?” he asked. On the other hand, he had no reason to meet Namjoo’s brother. What would it mean for him? Why did his father want him to get close to the Kim family?

“Tonight at six. Don’t forget,” his father rashly urged then hung up.

≈≈≈≈≈≈

Her brother’s footsteps were hot on her trail. Namjoo didn’t stop walking until she reached her car. Only then did she wheel around to confront of her brother, who she never imagined running into here. Out of all places, he’d shown up here. How unbelievable. As if this city couldn’t be any smaller.

“What?” she crossed her arms indignantly.

“Who is he?” Joonmyun wanted to know, yet he sounded like an upset mother who’d discovered that her teenage daughter was dating when not allowed to. “Is it him?”

Namjoo scoffed, “No.”

“Really,” he sounded doubtful. “Then what were you doing with him?”

Namjoo’s jaw tightened. To tell what she was up to would only make him see her like a little child who required discipline.

“Maybe I was just getting to know him,” Namjoo shrugged. Joonmyun’s stare hardened with contradiction. She added with a note of insensitivity, “I was just having fun. No harm done.”

With a firm smile she unlocked her car and got in, driving off seconds later. Namjoo bit her lower lip when she stopped at a red light down the street and glanced into her rearview mirror. Joonmyun hadn’t followed her to her relief, but he wasn’t the center of her problems.

The way Sehun had held her so very gently vividly flashed through her mind. Subconsciously gripping the wheel she stared into the long road ahead. If Joonmyun stopped by Sehun’s café that meant she couldn’t play her game there with him. Should she walk around Sehun and go straight to his mother?

The imagery of shock and anger on Oh Jina’s face when she realized her son had fallen head over heels for tramp Kim Namjoo made her face swell up with crude satisfaction. Maybe she should start going after all the sons of the women who had disrespected her mother.

Wouldn’t that be fun?

Laughing underneath her breath she stepped on the accelerator when the lights flashed green and sped down the road.

≈≈≈≈≈≈

Joonmyun stared back at the café with distorted emotions flushing through him. He didn’t like what he’d seen, especially if Namjoo was seeing someone else and fooling around with another man. Most of all, he didn’t want Namjoo injuring her image and damaging herself in the long run. It was his responsibility to look after her. If he didn’t do anything while he still can then he shouldn’t have come back.

Unhappily getting into his car he drove off, forgetting about the coffee and muffin he’d ordered.

≈≈≈≈≈≈

A tall but tender looking man called out to Joonmyun when he arrived at the plaza center. The joint corporate meeting had been reserved in a large room on the 20th floor. Magnificent wall sized windows splendidly offered a view of the high top skyscrapers and clouds floating above. The floor, veiled in a soft orange color, muted their footsteps as they all walked into the room. A U-shaped table had been prepared, draped in the common white and with food and glasses of water ready to be served.

“Your mother’s very excited about this,” Oh Haejin smiled happily beside him as they walked toward their seats. Quiet murmuring filled the room, all the other men, most of them old and experienced in the world of business and economics, absorbed in their own worlds. “Are you nervous?”

“Somewhat,” Joonmyun replied taking his seat. His eyes prowled around until he spotted a young man, someone his age seated beside his father. Envy washed through him. If his father was here to guide him through the process of leading a corporation with thousands of employees on his tail, how great that would be. Being confident with head held up high wouldn’t be so hard, but he was on his own. In the face of challenges he wouldn’t be able to go to his father and ask for advice. During times of pressure, his father wouldn’t be there to pat his back.

He suddenly felt very lonely.

The meeting consisted of nothing out of the usual. It was a mere conference about fluctuating businesses, sales, and new marketing strategies erupting through the economy. Then all eyes Joonmyun before the hour they were finished. Joonmyun couldn’t keep count of all the men who said they looked forward to working with him or how much he resembled his father. The comparison continued non-stop until he walked through the door with a baggage of pressure on his tail.

The rush for the elevator pumped through him as he followed Oh Haejin down the corridor. They were going to have dinner. Joonmyun had thought of just returning home, but turning down the kind man’s offer seemed rude, so he had agreed.

The younger man Joonmyun had earlier seen joined them in the lift with his father, Kim Jihu.     

“I hear you take over the Chairman’s position next week,” it was Jihu who’d spoken.

Joonmyun nodded politely, “Yes.”

“Your father must be proud of you,” he said with a firm smile. “If there’s anything you need help with, I’m always glad to lend a helping hand. My son could take a few pointers if you don’t mind.”

Joonmyun’s eyes darted to Jihu’s son before awkwardly smiling at the old man. He wasn’t quite sure how to react when the old man seemed to be talking down on his son. Relief scurried through his veins when the lift stopped on ground level and they bid their goodbyes, but not before Joonmyun caught the lengthy stare from Jihu’s son.

“Don’t mind them,” Haejin assured him as they walked out. “That guy is like a drill sergeant with his son. It’s been worse since he called the wedding off. The potential bride’s family officially cut off business ties with them, so they’ve lost a lot of stocks and funding.”

“Oh…is that so?” Joonmyun wondered.

“Does it make you feel guilty?”

“Excuse me?”

“To know about these personal matters about someone you don’t know.”

“Well…” it was difficult to be honest for some reason. Joonmyun didn’t want to make himself look rude or give anyone a bad impression of him. What was he to say about something he didn’t even know about, and it had to do with a potential business partner?

“It’s all business politics,” Haejin explained. “It’s a cruel world; hearing, knowing, and assuming things about each other. Human nature is vicious, especially in our line of business. It’s always a competition. The things we hear about each other are majorly word of mouth passed from one person to the next. Some things are weaknesses to others and strengths to some. You should always be cautious of who you choose to mingle with.”

≈≈≈≈≈≈

“Damn old man,” Sehun muttered to himself for the nth time.

He was at the Japanese house his father had earlier told him to come to. It was nearly 6:10 and his father still hadn’t arrived. Slumped in his chair Sehun repeatedly tapped the toe of his shoe against the leg of the table, bored. He was hungry but he couldn’t start without his father. Lifting his wrist up he glanced at his watch impatiently, swearing to himself that if the old man didn’t make it here by 6:15 he would up and leave. The man could complain all he wanted to him when he got home, but Sehun would take no fault for not being there for dinner.

That was when the door slid open and the waitress led his father and a younger man into the room. Sehun’s narrowed eyes drifted up with an intended rude glare, but only till he recognized the face of the younger man. He’d been at the café this morning, the one who’d called out for Namjoo.

Heart leapt against his chest and suddenly alert of his manners, Sehun stood to his feet anxiously.

“Look at you, you actually arrived early,” his father noted with a hint of pleasure in his voice. Then he introduced, “Joonmyun, this is my son, Sehun.”

Joonmyun turned to look at him, eyeing him with the same flicker of recognition before offering his hand for a shake which Sehun immediately took. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“It’s nice to meet you, too,” Sehun made sure to smile before they sat down. His shoulders felt heavy and the room suddenly felt very hot. He was nervous and he was sweating, and kind of embarrassed. What did Joonmyun think of him after catching him with Namjoo that morning? And what had Namjoo told Joonmyun about him?

His father, oblivious to it all, loudly told the waitress that they would take a full course meal and some alcohol along with it for the hour. Once the door closed the old man turned his attention to the younglings. “Isn’t this nice? Sehun-ah, Joonmyun just returned from abroad. Since you’ve met Soobin’s daughter before, I thought it would be nice for you two to meet up. I’m pretty sure Joonmyun has his own friends, but I’d like if you two could become familiar with each other. Wouldn’t it be nice if our families become close like this?”

Sehun did his best to smile naturally, but he couldn’t hold back the sensation that Joonmyun was closely observing him throughout the entire hour and a half they spent there. Namjoo’s brother didn’t seem very approachable or glad to meet him again.

≈≈≈≈≈≈

By the end of the day Joonmyun was prepared to jump into a warm shower and head off to lie in bed. When morning hit again he’d think over all the things chasing itself through his head. Right now, the things he wanted to think of most seemed the most burdensome. And he had the sudden urge to visit his father’s grave before claiming that company as his own.

It was slightly dimmer out when he finally freed himself from Oh Haejin. His suspicious assumptions about the man seemed to have melted. The man didn’t seem very sly nor did he give off the vibe that he was after his mother. Maybe Oh Haejin was truly a friend of his mother’s, but then his son was something else. Sehun seemed wary of him the entire dinner. He’d very often avoided his eyes when they talked. What did he have with Namjoo?

Joonmyun unlocked his car and grabbed the handle of the door, but stopped when he heard a desperate voice from across the lot where a competing restaurant stood on the other side. Behind the tall shrubs and bushes the yellow lights inside the restaurant resonated beautifully. The restaurant appeared like a hidden cabin in the forest.

On the brick walk that led to the parking lot Joonmyun spotted a woman and a man. His eyes drove over them, observing curiously. Usually he would have just minded his own business and driven off, but he didn’t.

Then he recognized the woman he’d had a run into at Sehun’s café this morning. He shouldn’t be watching her affair like this, but he was.

He felt sympathy thwart his urge to just turn away in order to help her keep some dignity, but the way she was arguing and pleading rooted Joonmyun’s feet to the ground. The cry he heard tugged his heart.

Kid Namjoo had once cried to her older brother the same way. The biggest question then had been, “Why do you have to go?”

Scared of the people who looked at them, afraid of those who wanted to take what had been theirs, and too much of a coward to stand in front of the adults who towered over them then. Joonmyun had been ashamed. He would study and come back braver, that had been his determination. But back then, he hadn’t been the only one scared, and he knew it.

When Joonmyun looked back up that girl was alone. He should have just let her be, but he didn’t. She was crying.

Leaving his car he crossed the lot and walked toward her. When he approached he realized he didn’t know what to say. One thing was for sure and it was that he didn’t feel quite as embarrassed as he should for interrupting her moment of grief.

When their eyes finally met the words just flew out of his mouth, “Must be your luck running into me again.”


***Huhu~ Sorry for the delay. Update's finally here tho!

***Remember in the last chapter Rong said something along the lines of: “Call it your luck for running into me again.” Joonmyun is just returning it xD