Playtime

The Other Woman

≈≈≈≈≈≈

“Joonmyun!” Soobin’s voice echoed throughout the manor. One of the housekeepers turned when she stepped off the last steps of the staircase and humbly bowed in greeting. “Where’s Joonmyun?”

“He left early this morning.”

“So early?” she asked.

“Yes,” the housekeeper nodded. “He said to have breakfast without him.”

“And here I was thinking we could finally have breakfast together,” Soobin spoke to herself then told the maid, “go back to work.”

With another humble bow the housekeeper returned to dusting the furniture. It was to be another busy evening for her. Soobin planned to host a get together for the elderly council for finishing off the quarter with high rates. She wanted to go over with the cook the fine menu she planned to have but as she started toward the kitchen the doorbell rang.

“That must be Joonmyun,” she hoped elated and offered, “I’ll get it.” A smile graced her lips when she pulled the door open, “Where did you…”

“Tramp!” Oh Jina, Haejin’s wife, ten years his junior was an intelligent woman, an average beauty in Soobin’s eyes and a woman who’d long stopped wearing glasses she looked better with. Though small and slim her strength had Soobin flying back several steps.

“What is wrong with you?” Soobin scoffed finally regaining herself from the surprise attack. Tugging her shirt straight she stared the average beauty straight on, “If you have a problem, talk or else I’m going to have to ask you to leave. I have a long day ahead of me…”

“I warned you,” the woman snarled with narrow eyes, her lips a firm straight line, “not to go near my husband.”

“Oh,” Soobin calmly replied, “the last time we talked you told him to go to hell.”

“You’ve forgotten one thing, widow,” the woman hissed, “that man still has my ring on his finger. Why don’t you save the last of your dignity and go to your grave quietly?”

“Are you jealous?” Soobin asked.

“What?” she gasped.

Shrugging, Soobin crossed her arms and repeated, “I asked if you’re jealous.”

“How dare you?!” Jina raised her voice. “You think I’d want to lower myself to become a like you? You’re shameless! Do you think nobody knows how you got to where you are? You’re at the feet of society; no one even wants to go near you but all the men you’ve brought to your bed! Have you even thought about how you’re going to face your dead husband in the afterlife?!”

Eyes cool Soobin continued, “Is it because Haejin would rather talk to me than the wife he’s been married to for twenty years? You feel it’s unfair because he’d rather have dinner with an outsider than be with his family? You’re angry because Haejin feels suffocated around you and you hate him too, but you’re too embarrassed to get a divorce. ‘My friends will think I’m a failure and I will be mocked by everyone,’ isn’t that right? You can’t stand living like me, alone, yet you’re envious because I can make all the friends I want and do anything I please without facing the scrutiny of my husband’s relatives, so you hate me even more.” Then she mocked with the shake of her head and held a fist to her chest, “So you call me a tramp, oh, how that hurts.”

Jina’s face nearly reddened from anger before lunging forward.

≈≈≈≈≈≈

“I’ll see you later?” Jongin asked after pulling the car to a stop in front of her house.

“Yes, you will,” Namjoo grinned and leaned over to kiss him. The grin grew even wider when she withdrew, “Bye, handsome.”

After watching him drive off she started up the steps and slowed in her steps when she heard voices shrieking and screaming. Picking up pace she rushed the rest of the way up, stopping in front of the open doors to find some woman sitting on her mother, their arms lashing at each other.

“Mom!” Namjoo rushed forward and immediately latched onto her mother’s attacker. “Get off her! Get off!”

Managing to drag the slim woman off Namjoo shoved her aside and hurriedly pulled her mother up to her feet. “Are you ok?” she asked her bedraggled haired mother. Spinning around Namjoo glared at the woman smoothing her loose hair back, “Who are you?”

“Like mother like daughter, just as they say,” the woman hissed and huffed before turning to walk out.

Namjoo frowned after her before turning to look at the scratch on her mother’s face. “Who the hell is that ?”

“What did I tell you about saying that word?” her mother chided gently as she turned to walk away.

“I asked who she is,” Namjoo demanded following her mother to the staircase. When her mother said nothing she urged, “Mom!” They finally paused on the third step with Namjoo’s gaze burning into the side of her mother’s face. 

“No one important.”

“Who is she?” Namjoo persisted adamantly. She needed to know why some woman wanted to beat the crap out of her mother because she was not going to simply let this go. Why did her mother have to be victim all the time?!

“If I tell you you’re just going to do something silly.”

“I won’t.” Namjoo instantly promised.

“You think I don’t know you?” her mother asked.

When her mother continued a step up Namjoo blurted, “I’m going to tell Joonmyun. You see what he’ll do.”

Soobin turned around to meet Namjoo’s hot gaze. “You promise you won’t do anything?”

“I promise.”

≈≈≈≈≈≈

 The jerk!

Chorong watched through the narrow slits of her eyes as the man crossed the walk and turned down the street, disappearing from her view. Crumpling the dollar bills up into her hand she stomped out after him.

Her father was first to greet her when she returned that morning. “Where have you been?”

The scent of freshly grinded coffee beans eroded the kitchen when she walked toward the fridge for a cup of juice. “I went to have breakfast.”

“You shouldn’t go around too much these days. The paparazzi will be looking to make stories of you.” Setting a glass onto the counter Chorong couldn’t help but roll her eyes. “I know how you feel, but don’t let it get to you. How about a trip to Hawaii or somewhere to freshen up your mind?”

“I’m fine,” Chorong said.

Park Junseo grunted then told her, “I know you and Sehun are good friends, but how about giving him a chance once things quiet down? Your mother and I talked it over this morning. You know she likes him and I agree that he wouldn’t be a bad choice.”

“Dad,” Chorong deepened her tone as she turned, “I don’t even see him that way. For the millionth time, we’re just friends.”

“All right, all right,” he gave up. “I know you’ve heard this before, but marrying a man who’s like a friend will allow you to live a better life than with someone whose not. I just want you to be happy.”

“I already met him,” she mumbled placing the jug of juice back into the fridge and closed the door.

“Who’s that?” he asked as she turned to walk away.

“Jongin,” she said before finally leaving the kitchen.

≈≈≈≈≈≈

“That ,” Namjoo tossed her purse onto her bed when she walked into her room. Heaving a deep sigh she sat down at the edge of her bed and stared about her room. For as long as she remembered her mother had always been cussed at by men and women, mostly women. Majority of them were people Namjoo didn’t know and had never met before. To be unfairly treated like that made her extremely bitter, especially when her mother acted like it didn’t matter.

To Namjoo they mattered a hell lot. So it was Sehun’s mother this morning, was it? A smirk crossed her lips as she reached for her purse and pulled her phone out. If she was to go after his mother directly her mother would get upset, so she had to get back at the woman differently. It would be just like taking the long way home, but the outcome would be the same.

So Oh Jina disliked them. Namjoo fully understood that as of three minutes ago. If her mother was going to just sit, Namjoo couldn’t do the same. The best way to get Oh Jina riled up was probably through her son, because like hell she’d do something with Oh Haejin.

Problem was that she didn’t know any of the Oh’s phone numbers. After a minute of debate she called Jongin. She was certain that since he worked he would have access to the information she needed. First, she’d get in touch with Oh Haejin then get through to Sehun.

Perfect.

≈≈≈≈≈≈

Unlike yesterday Sehun got the sleep he wanted. He didn’t wake until afternoon and no one had bothered him as expected. Both mother and father were out and the housekeepers knew not to interrupt his peace. After a fresh shower he started down the stairs with a big yawn and stepped into the kitchen for something to eat. His stomach was severely empty and coffee at this time wouldn’t do his body any good.

“Young Sir?” the housekeeper shuffled into the kitchen. When he turned she told him, “There’s someone at the door for you.”

“Who?” he frowned. He wasn’t expecting anyone and Chorong had said nothing about visiting.

“It’s a woman.”

Closing the fridge Sehun brushed passed the housekeeper and crossed the long corridor that led to the front door. Glancing through the side window showed him that it was a woman dressed in chic shorts with a pretty top to match.

Opening the door he asked, “Can I help you?”

“Hello,” Namjoo greeted.

Sehun’s mind emptied in that moment. He hadn’t expected. Not at all.

“Can I come in?” she asked with a bright smile that he felt was blinding him.

“Oh…oh…yes, of course,” stepping back he opened the door for her. Gulping, he turned around to see her looking around. Taking a shallow breath he attempted to calm himself.

“Your house is nice,” she complimented.

“It’s not mine, it’s my parents,” he blurted before thinking and wished he hadn’t.

Namjoo turned around to look at him with an amused expression, “You live here too, so it’s yours too.”

His heart jumped up to his throat. He had no idea what to do or say next. What was it one did when their crush from long ago suddenly came unannounced? Being a good host wasn’t in his genes. Sehun had always been bad with handling guests, one reason why he and his father still needed his mother to stick around.

“You have a pool?” Namjoo stopped to gaze out the tall French paned window with a view of the private yard.

“Y…yes,” he nodded. “My f…father had it installed when I was younger.”

“You swim?” she looked at him. Sehun only managed an exaggerated nod because he was seriously burning up with her eyes on him.

“Um…you want to see it?” without waiting for her reply he unlocked the door and led her out. Namjoo separated from him to observe the pool with awe. Sehun cautiously stole a glance at her from the corner of his eye feeling struck and stupefied.

Why was she here? What was he supposed to do?

Sehun suddenly turned when she asked, “Mind if I go for a swim?”

Heat flashed through his body intensely when Namjoo began pulling her shirt off. His heart beat thunderously inside his chest when he caught sight of her creamy skin and quickly turned around. Face red and feet glued to the ground, he was at his worst. Sehun’s mind was blank as ever. All he could think about and recall in that short minute was the sight of her belly and the shirt coming off.

Oh god…

A second later water splashed across his feet and he turned to find Namjoo swimming by. That smile on her face was as blinding as the sun. His eyes subconsciously jumped toward her collarbone and he caught sight of her body underneath. Her bikini was pink.

“Join me.” she urged.

“Uh…no,” he shook his head.

“You know how to swim, don’t you? Come swim with me,” his breath was cut short when she added, “Sehun.”

“It’s not a good time right now,” he quietly murmured.

“Really? Why’s that?” she innocently wondered.

If he told her that he just woke up how embarrassing would that be? Other than that he had no serious reason to decline the offer. Yet, this was so weird and entirely uncalled for.

Namjoo here…

“Should I come up?” she asked. “We could just sit and talk for a while.”

Namjoo next to him in her bikini…

“No, it’s ok.” He shook his head.

“Then come in,” she smiled. He watched her arm stretch out back and forth across the water tauntingly.

“J…just for a bit,” Sehun gave in. “Let me go change.”

“Of course,” she nodded.

Backing away he jolted up the stairs to his room, wondering what the hell was wrong with him. He needn’t be swimming with her but he couldn’t be doing nothing either. Right, he was supposed to take her from Jongin. Lure her…somehow.

When he headed back out Namjoo was doing butterfly in the center of the glistening pool. The sunlight landed on her just right, casting a serene glow to her movements. Feeling and uncomfortable Sehun slowly walked out wishing he would have worked out more. It would have been better to walk out with an impressive image than with the body he had now.

Namjoo turned when he entered the pool and it strangely felt as if the entire world was watching. Sehun didn’t recall being so anxious before.

“You’re here?” she swam over.

Hanging onto the edge of the pool he darted his eyes to the side, “Yea…”

“I wish I had a pool at my house,” Namjoo said. “My brother doesn’t like swimming, so I guess that’s why.”

“Really?” he commented with an awkward smile. He gulped when Namjoo came up to his side and let her watchful eyes wander across his face. She said nothing for a moment which made him uneasier. Turning to look at her at last with his lips twitching into a failing smile he asked, “W…what?”

“You keep hanging by the edge,” Namjoo said. “You’re not…nervous, are you?”

“No, of course not,” he lied but all his defenses had already fallen. Gathering his courage he moved away from the edge to prove her wrong, “See?”

Namjoo giggled amused. Sehun watched her move toward him and began sweating drearily when her hand touched his arm as she swam around to face him. Other than the fact that they were both in swim wear, which in other words meant they were half , he couldn’t help his hormones jumping and he couldn’t tell why this was happening. His train of thoughts was haywired, all over the place.

Sehun dreamed of looking outgoing, showing her how masculine he could be but none of that was happening. He was just an idiot, frozen at the sight of a woman in a bikini and that made him feel ridiculous. Even worse, it felt like he was living his nobody years again…in front of Namjoo.

“You know, now that I look at you carefully, you’re kind of handsome.”

Sehun’s eyes sunk into her orbs and pressed his lips together unable to believe what he just heard. In a split second her hand touched his face before she touched her lips to his. His opened eyes widened. The entire world spun around them and he could hear nothing, see nothing. Heat rose through his body when Namjoo pressed her body against him. The surprise made his mouth open for her and he released a grunt. On instinct, he touched her and finally closed his eyes to sink in her kiss.