Fire on Nerves

The Other Woman

“What?!” gasping from shock Sehun abruptly turned to stare his father down.

“Of course,” Namjoo calmly replied after him. Spinning attention back to her Sehun felt his brows twist together. A smile sat on her face and whether it was of mischief or if she sincerely meant it, Sehun couldn’t discern.

“Lets be,” her eyes sat on him, “good friends. I look forward to it, Sehun.”

≈≈≈≈≈≈

“We’re meeting an important friend of mine,” was what her mother had announced last minute that morning. So here she was with the uncle that had greeted her yesterday. Namjoo remembered him. And she remembered his son, the one who’d torn her apart from Chorong yesterday.

Oh, she remembered him.

It was such a small world. This nitpick who had interfered yesterday was now in front of her and had all along been as close as ever. Friends? Oh no, they weren’t going to be friends. And they would be no more than friends from this point forward.

“What do you think of his son?” her mother wondered when they walked out of the restaurant together.

“You sure that guy’s not a ert?” Namjoo muttered underneath her breath.

“Haejin is not a ert! You shouldn’t speak like that,” her mother chided in a hushed manner. “He’s a very important friend of mine.”

“Sure looked like he was on to you.” Namjoo commented as they crossed the lot.

“He’s still married to his wife. Though I hear they haven’t been on good terms for a while.”

“Exactly my thoughts,” Namjoo reasoned. “You should be a little more cautious about whom you want to call friend.”

“Oh you,” her mother shook her head. “Look at my daughter trying to teach me.”

“Mom!” Namjoo squealed when the woman pinched her behind.

The smirk on her face transitioned into a motherly smile, “Always be on your best attitude around them, understand? I know you have a friend already, so I don’t expect you to hook up with his son. Just be nice to him.”

“Why?” she wondered. “Who exactly is this Haejin? You don’t, by any chance, have anything to do with his rocky marriage?”

“You don’t trust me?” her mother teased.

Namjoo shot her mother a look through the corner of her eye and scoffed.

≈≈≈≈≈≈

“Mom?” Joonmyun called out. Scanning the front corridor as he stepped through the wide front doors showed him an absence of any living being. “Namjoo?” the only noise he heard was of the wheels of his suitcase he pulled after him. “Hello?”

The manor resonated emptiness. Not even his mother’s hired housekeepers were in sight which led him to wonder if the two women left in his family had gone on a firing spree again. His father had inherited the manor from his great grandfather. Following the man’s death his mother, Soobin, had inherited the home along with a business she controlled externally.

He recalled those years clearly. Kim Yuchan passed away when Joonmyun was just in junior high. Still at a fresh and naïve age the men had debated intensely for days about who should be the next suitable heir. If anyone person out of their lineage took over their family would instantly lose all control of all assets Yuchan had gained during his time as Chairman. Unwilling to hand over power and what Joonmyun supposed was out of devotion, his mother stepped in. The council laughed at her for she had no prior experience to handling business.

Those months had had Joonmyun on edge. There would be enough insurance money and inheritance for the family to thrive on, but the family would be shunned and in the future Soobin might be left in rags and a retirement home. Then overnight the tables suddenly turned. His mother achieved both power and control of the company. The scheming bastards were laid off, fired, or demoted. Their wages and benefits were cut; many were left with rage and hatred for his family. Now Joonmyun’s mother’s vicious demeanor had all men serving the executive board bowing before her fearfully. Alongside the arrogance his mother displayed, rumors spread like fire that she’d gained control through the men by selling herself.

Growing up had been utterly painful for him, his family included. Hearing people call on his mother shamelessly had rage piling up in his chest, rage he hadn’t been able to release. People snickered, sometimes they got prank calls of men asking  to set up dates with his mother at hotels, other times on family outings he’d hear others whispering as they passed by. Of those times Joonmyun had grown so mad he could have literally killed, but one look at the shake of his mother’s head had him biting his tongue. Getting into physical brawls would damage their name. He had restrained himself while shedding tears inside.

Joonmyun recalled being sent off to study abroad a few years earlier. Who cared about studying. He wanted to stay and protect the only two left in his family. He recalled shedding tears of remorse and regret for leaving them behind to fend for themselves when he turned his back on them to get on his plane. Today he was back fully equipped with knowledge and wisdom to take over the company his mother had so dearly protected.

Four and a half long years and he was finally back, and he was prepared to finally protect those he loved the most.

“Hello?” Joonmyun called out again. The sound of a dying engine had him whipping around. Deserting his suitcase he stepped toward the open front doors where the grand sunlight was shining. Below the steps was the familiar car that had driven him and Namjoo from and to school. His body burst with excitement when two familiar women stepped out.

“Mom! Namjoo!” he called out happily. His legs quickly led him down the steps toward them when they turned at the sound of his voice. Before they could react he rushed toward them with wide open arms. As he squeezed them into a hug he announced his arrival, “I’m back! I’m back!”

≈≈≈≈≈≈

Settled around the dining table with refreshments before them Joonmyun couldn’t hold back from exclaiming his happiness at returning. For about an hour he shared with them his stories about being abroad.

“So,” he finally wondered, “where did you two come from?”

“We had breakfast with a friend of mine is all,” his mother explained with a graceful smile.

“Who?”

“Oh Haejin, you’ll meet him very soon,” she promised. “He’s a really nice man.”

“Looks like a predator,” Namjoo murmured.

“Namjoo,” their mother scolded her then turned to him with a breathless laugh. “Since you’re finally home, how about snacking on some of your favorite baked rolls?”

“That’s sound great, mom.”

“I’ll go prepare them,” she eagerly promised before leaving the table.

Once she left Joonmyun turned to Namjoo, “Are you still in school?”

“I got out early,” Namjoo replied without a care while grabbing her cold glass of water. At the raise of his questioning brow she went on, “It’s just literature. Not very difficult, so the professor let me out early. Mom has my diploma, should I show you?”

Joonmyun observed her for a silent minute. He remembered his younger sister as an outgoing girl, the kind of cheery person that could energize even the saddest person. Namjoo had comforted him innocently during his difficult adolescent years, sitting with him and listening to his favorite music together. During warm weathers they would walk around the streets to shop and eat together. She was the one who’d made his youth fun and memorable. They had been the closest of siblings stuck to each other like glue. They were each other’s armor and protector.

Something about her felt off. He couldn’t explain it. Namjoo felt far and distant. Joonmyun wondered if it was because he had been away for such a long time.

He watched her check her phone and suddenly felt like they were strangers meeting for the first time. Namjoo didn’t want to make eye contact so turning all her attention onto her phone was her solution to avoid him.

Pulling on a smile with effort he wondered, “Have you met anyone?”

“I have to go.” She stood from her seat and held up her phone as if gesturing to him her reason for leaving. “And yes. I’ll introduce him to you sometime. Oh, and, you reek of coffee. Better change that shirt. Tell mom I’ll be back.”

Joonmyun watched her quickly exit the room and remained alone for a fraction of the hour before his mother finally returned with a plate of the fresh rolls he’d loved so much as a child.

“They smell so nice, don’t they?” she asked placing them in front of her.

“They do,” he smiled pleased. “Oh, Namjoo said she had to leave.”

“Of course,” his mother said before sitting down across from him.

Joonmyun reached for a roll then paused as soon as he grabbed it, “Who is she meeting?”

“A friend,” his mother smiled without worry.

“You’re not worried about this person she’s meeting? Who is he? What family is he from?”

“Oh, don’t be silly,” she waved off his concern. “Namjoo knows how to handle herself. As long as she’s happy it doesn’t matter to me.”

“Mom,” he chided softly, “what if he’s bad a person who only wants to hurt her?”

She laughed disregarding him. “Oh please. She’s been the happiest since she’s met him. They’re together all the time. You don’t need to worry a thing about her. Now eat that roll and get out of that dirty shirt.”

≈≈≈≈≈≈

Namjoo’s voice still ran rounds inside his head. “Lets be good friends. I look forward to it, Sehun.”

What was she up to?  Sehun was frustrated from being unable to figure her out. That was all that was stuck inside his head as he headed up the walk to his restaurant. The moment he walked in through the door he spotted Chorong at her usual table by the window. Groaning underneath his breath he trudged toward her and sat down.

“What took you so long?” she demanded.

“I was held up during breakfast. Why?” he asked with attitude.

Chorong eyed him with a frown, “Who was your date? Was she the elder daughter of J.K. corp? Did you talk good? Schedule another date?”

“No.”

“Then who was it that you met?”

“It was a friend of my father’s daughter.” Sehun said. “Look, I already told you I won’t do what you want. Lets just end it there.”

“Why?” Chorong demanded. “Give me a reasonable answer.”

Sehun pressed his lips together. He just didn’t want to get mixed with Namjoo any further. Whatever had been meant by becoming friends that morning was suddenly something that sounded the most unattractive – not really, but he didn’t want to be any more curious about her than necessary. He wanted to reject the fact that Namjoo was already so close already. If he caved, what would that make him? Going after a girl that already had a man would make him shallow, desperate. How would Namjoo see him then?

The fact that she had lied that morning about her relationship status and that his heart had still raced anyway bothered him.

“What’s wrong with you?” Chorong broke into his thoughts. “Done thinking?”

“Yea, I mean no,” he shook his head.

“Why? You have a second chance with the one you like. It’s kind of pitiful if you don’t grab the hand of opportunity when it’s right before you,” Chorong persuaded. “If you’re afraid, should I help you?”

“No,” he quickly responded. Sehun would rather die than have her help him get Namjoo.

Chorong raised a brow, “You won’t regret it when you lose this chance?”

Sehun uneasily fiddled with his fingers on his lap. No matter the circumstance, his father knew Namjoo’s mother which brought them into the same social circle.

“Think about it, Sehun,” Chorong continued, “didn’t you lose complete sight of her after high school? You never saw her again, isn’t that right? You confident you won’t regret it if you lose sight of her this time, forever? I may get Jongin back, but you’ll never get her. The next woman you meet might not give you the same fluttering emotion Namjoo does. Can you live with that? Come on, Sehun, you know what you want.”

His heart had pulsed when Namjoo looked at him that morning. Sitting there with her had been unbelievably intriguing and one look from her had all his attention burning. The thing he feared the most was looking like a fool in front of her. What if he actually looked like a simpleton by wanting to take her from Jongin? He couldn’t stand the thought of it. But what did Jongin have that he didn’t?

Confidence. Maybe.

Sehun had always been a nobody. He couldn’t forget how Namjoo never once noticed him in their school hallway. They had passed each other countless times!

Friends? No. They couldn’t simply be friends when being around her made him shake or tremble. Sehun wanted to be seen as brave, courageous, manly and outstanding. He wanted Namjoo to think of him like that but it was just so hard. It was nerve wrecking being around her even more so when she was closer now than ever.

If Chorong won Jongin back and laughed in his face and Namjoo disappeared from his world forever, then what? Sehun just couldn’t see it happening.

Gosh, he was going to explode. All these thoughts running back and forth through his mind weren’t helping. He had no reason to avoid Namjoo because all his reasons were already running toward her.

“Lets be good friends. I look forward to it, Sehun.”

What had she meant? Was she going to treat him as a pawn?

No. He wouldn’t be used if that was what she was doing. He wasn’t the same anymore. He was different from the nobody he’d been. He was different. He had to stay on top from being used.

“Then what?” Sehun blurted without thinking. “What if I do get her? Then what?”

A tiny smirk crept upon Chorong’s lips, “So, is that a yes? Well don’t worry, I won’t force you to marry her.” she leaned forward, “Hey, I know how it feels to be unnoticed. Do whatever once you get her in your hands. Dump her or whatever. Show her how it feels to be important one moment and then feel like unwanted trash the next. Punish her for making you lonely in your wait for her. It’s your choice. Don’t worry Sehun, you can definitely do this.”

≈≈≈≈≈≈

Joonmyun had stayed up in hopes of waiting for Namjoo to come back so he could talk to her, catch up on the time they’d missed together. It was too bad he’d knocked out before she even arrived home. Assuming that she as sleeping in that morning he showered, dressed, and headed out. He wanted to explore the city and see if anything had changed since the time he’d been gone. It would have been nice to walk around with his sibling but the chance for it didn’t seem likely today. Maybe another day would do.

“Good morning!” the chauffeur called out to him from where he’d been washing the car. “Where are you going? Would you like a ride?”

“Don’t worry about me. Enjoy yourself,” Joonmyun called back.

He walked a bit and stopped for some snacks at a food vendor. After tiring he grabbed a cab, had a nice chat with the driver and was dropped off at a place of recommendation. Rise n’ Shine it was called, a very cozy and affordable café the driver told him. The local café hadn’t existed when Joonmyun was still here years ago. Eager to try the menu out he stepped in to be greeted by the fresh décor and the welcoming employees behind the counter.

Joonmyun finally settled down at the side window with a view of the peaceful street and started with his breakfast. All was well and he made plans to bring Namjoo with him. The chatter around him faded when one of the female employees placed a cup of smoothie in front of him.

Upon receiving his attention she told him, “It’s from the lady at the corner.” Joonmyun followed the nod of her head. Turning around he spotted a young woman sitting at a table across the room quietly sipping on her coffee. A half-eaten bagel sat on a plate beside her. When she noticed him looking over she raised up a hand and smiled coyly. He watched her fingers dance in the air as she waved at him.

Joonmyun recognized her instantly as the lady who’d poured coffee on him yesterday. Suddenly amused with their coincidental meeting again, he breathlessly laughed. Turning away he pulled out his wallet and handed it to the female employee. “Tell her this is a tip,” he paused then added, “and that I enjoyed meeting her yesterday.”

A tiny smirk brought the corner of his lip up. The female employee walked away to relay his message. Returning attention to his breakfast he swallowed the food in front of him hungrily before no less than a minute later, someone loudly slapped the dollar bills he’d just pulled out of his pocket onto his table.

Joonmyun looked up to meet the fiery gaze of the young woman from yesterday. She demanded hotly, “Take it back.”

His brow twitched as he coolly glanced at the money sitting at the edge of his table, “Why? You gave me a drink, I presented you money.”

Leaning down to intimidate him she looked at him steely, “Oh, but I didn’t enjoy meeting you yesterday.”

Coolly tilting his head to look at her he smiled, “What we did yesterday was dirty,” he thought about the coffee splashed on him, “and hot.”

“What?!” she exclaimed loudly.

Joonmyun glanced around carefully to see that the customers were staring at them. Satisfactorily smiling at having her flustered he turned his eyes back onto her, “Best be cafeful about our conversation. Adults interpret vocabulary differently.” Scooting his chair back he stood and turned to her before walking out, “Oh, and yesterday really was dirty and hot.” 


***Hahaha They're just getting on each other's nerves for now, Suho and Chorong that is (you do know he's the one she spilt coffee on?) xD Namjoo means no harm to Sehun...till next chapter. And now Chorong fully succeeded at manipulating Sehun into her plan! Gosh, it feels so weird writing Suho as Joonmyun but since I use Jongin instead of Kai it only seems right

***Sorry for the long wait in updating. I needed some time off from writing