Like the First Feeling

The Other Woman

≈≈≈≈≈≈

It was the day he found the note sitting on his desk early morning of the first spring. On the way to school cherry blossoms had started scattering the streets. Loner Sehun had spent his time bathing in the beautiful scene after leaving home. That morning his parents had yet argued again. Divorce. Out of the regulars whose parents were still successfully married and raking in millions of income each week, Sehun was the gloomy outcast. The students loved chiding and gossiping about his parents’ war. It was news every morning, every day. The teachers knew all the way down to the freshmans.

The note read: “I like you.” signed by none other than Kim Namjoo.

Like a fool he spent the next several weeks stalking her just because he was afraid of approaching her. Head held high at all times she was opinionated and brave, yet mindful and considerate. He liked the cunning and witty aspect of her but she never noticed him, even when they were in the same hallway. If she liked him he wanted her to know they were mutual and if she was afraid to let others see her with him, he would understand.

For White Day he prepared homemade pocky sticks coated with sprinkles specially for her. On the day of reckoning Namjoo laughed in his face with the demeanor of “do you know who the you’re talking to?” Snatching the treats all she’d said was, “Thanks weirdo.” and walked off. 

She crushed his fragile heart that hour of the day. Whenever he traveled the school halls he always made sure to stay out of her sight. Till today he never understood why he’d received that note. If she liked him why had she treated him like that?

First love?

Bull.

“Take her from him.”

“What?”

“Don’t pretend you didn’t hear me.” Chorong snapped.

Biting down on his teeth he stared at Chorong muttering, “You’re crazy.”

“I’m not asking you to marry her. What’s so difficult about seducing a woman?” Chorong pestered. “You don’t have the skills? You’re not that weak fool anymore, Sehun. Just take her from him. That’s all you have to do.”

Pulling the night drawer open Sehun pulled out a notebook he’d kept in his lonelier years. Writing thoughts down had been his therapy and what had helped him make it today. Opening to the back pocket he pulled out the crinkled note he’d discovered that spring. Though the paper was crumpled the handwriting in pen was still as visible as ever. The words I like you seeped into his eyes. Underneath it was signed in print: Kim Namjoo.

The book snapped shut when he heard the doorknob turn behind him. Tossing it into the night drawer he skillfully closed it with his knee and turned to find his nosy mother.

“What the heck,” she muttered. “You did come back.” Pulling her large cardigan around her she folded her arms, “How was the date?”

“I thought I told you not to come into my room,” Sehun mumbled walking over to sit down by his round table.

His mother joined him, “Oh, don’t be like that. So tell me, how was she?”

Eyes elsewhere he murmured, “I didn’t even go.”

“You didn’t bring Chorong with you, did you?” she accused. “I thought I told you to stop hanging out with that girl! She’s the one keeping you from finding a girlfriend. Why I ought to give her parents a piece of my mind.”

“Mom, please,” he about rolled his eyes.

“Then what?” she demanded frustrated. Dropping back into the seat with a heavy sigh she grumbled underneath her breath, “At this point you’re just going to grow old like me.” speaking louder, “Do you really want to live like me?! I worked so hard to get that date for you! Nowadays not just anyone can marry good women like me. At this rate I’m going to have to adopt my own grandchild if I want to stop hearing your father’s outrageous voice!”

Irate, Sehun just stared at her without saying anything. Sometimes silence was the best he could do. At this moment silence was his only weapon. His mother would just keep going to her heart’s content and there was nothing he could do. As she continued whining his mind dozed off into his own dreamland.

By the time he finally escaped his mother his father just returned from wherever it was he’d been. Probably another gathering with his other woman. It no longer mattered to Sehun where his parents went or with whom. At one point he had tried setting them straight. He realized it too late that his efforts were futile and his parents would be their own people.

Laughing haughtily his father met him at the bottom of the staircase. The old man was jolly, his face flushed. He smelled of pot cooked chicken and wine. Sehun despised how he looked like the man.

“You’re home,” his old man slapped him roughly on the back. Sehun’s reply was an unamused stare. Urging him a step down with hand glued at his back his father said, “You wouldn’t guess where I just came from. My friend has a really lovely daughter and I want you to meet her. Maybe get yourself a girlfriend. A young guy like you should learn how to have fun, eh? How about it? Her daughter’s oh-so-beautiful! Son, I’m telling you that you won’t be able to find anyone of her league! Lets meet her tomorrow, huh? Take some time off from work.”

Laughing cheerily from the back of his throat the elder man patted his back before walking off.

≈≈≈≈≈≈

“Where were you?!” Jongin’s mother immediately smacked his arm when he walked in through the sitting room. Already uptight and furious she immediately tugged the collar of his shirt demanding loudly, “What is this?!”

“Ow! Mom!” Jongin tried pulling himself back helplessly.

“Look at your son!” his mother screeched, turning back to her husband sitting on the couch with a cup of steaming tea in his hand. “He’s been with her again!”

Jongin received an intense glare of disapproval from his stoic father, Kim Woojin. He growled his name before asking, “Do I need to have you chauffeured around again?”

“Dad,” Jongin tried.

“You already ruined the wedding and our name by being with that tramp!”

“Can you not talk about her like that?!” Jongin fought. Shooting his mother a glance he spoke with deeper emphasis, “She’s not a tramp.”

“Her mother’s a !” his mother screamed. “Like mother, like daughter. That pair is exactly the same! How many times have we told you not to mingle with them and you go and do just that?!”

Jongin heaved a sigh of frustration.

“She’s just going to ruin you,” his father spoke calmly, staring him right in the eyes. “Women like that are no good. They won’t do anything for you. You think she loves you right now, but a year or two down the line after you get married she’s just going to throw you aside and find another man. You’re still young, you don’t understand. You still have a world out there…”

“What don’t I understand?!” breaking free from his mom’s grasp he turned to face his father. “How can you speak like you know her when you don’t!”

“Jongin!” his mother’s high pitched scolding made his ear ring.

“Do you really expect me to stand here and say nothing when you’re attacking her like this?” Jongin questioned, vexed.

“Don’t you raise your voice,” his father growled threateningly. “We are your parents. You think we don’t understand your feelings? We’ve been in this world longer than you have, we understand the work of humans better than you do. You think you can go out there and live happily forever? Go out then! Go and see for yourself how difficult it is!”

Jongin bit his lower lip. His father had just successfully cornered him and the old man hadn’t even moved an inch to make it happen.

“Don’t you be causing any gossip,” his father warned. “You’ve already caused enough damage to us. If you do this again, I’m going to call her mother up and tell her what I’m going to do if she lets her daughter near you again. Do you understand?”

“Go to your room,” his mother said.

Chest burning, Jongin turned around to retreat to his room. He wouldn’t ever win against them. Whatever he said those two were intelligent enough to twist it around to shut him up. Jongin wasn’t about to give up.

Locking the door he went over to sit down on his bed. Yearning to hear Namjoo’s voice he dialed for her. She picked up quickly and as expected, hearing her voice diminished his hot anger.

“Are you home?” she asked.

“I just got in,” he answered. “What are you doing?”

“Just lying in bed.”

“That’s all?” he asked. “You’re lazy.”

“Always am.” He could see her smiling within his mind’s eye. “Did you have a nice talk with your friend?”

“I’m not sure.”

“What do you mean?”

“He only wanted to tell me to get back with Chorong. Thinks I’ve lost my way or something,” Jongin told. Lying down he said glumly, “Everyone thinks that.”  

“I’m sorry.”

“No. It’s not your fault.” He assured. “I’m happy the way we are. As long as we believe in each other.”

“I’ll always believe in you.”

Cheering up he smiled and placed his hand on the pillow beside him. “I wish you were here.”

“Me too.”

“Kiss me goodnight before you go.” He said and heard her giggle.

“Goodnight. Love you,” she said after making a kiss sound.

Returning the kiss he replied, “Love you too. Sweet dreams.”

After they hung up Jongin went through the gallery on his phone and pulled up Namjoo’s photo. A smile brightened his lips at once. Sighing happily he placed the phone with Namjoo’s picture beside him and stared up at the ceiling. Even if no one sided with them, even if the whole world was against them being together and no one believed in them, he would still love her as long as her smile belonged to him.

≈≈≈≈≈≈

“Sorry, I suddenly have plans today,” Sehun spoke over the phone the next morning.

“What plans?” Chorong immediately asked perturbed.

“I have a date.”

“What?!” she literally screamed. “With who? Why?! What about our plan?!”

Your plan,” he corrected. “I don’t want to have anything to do with it.”

“Why not? I thought we agreed on things yesterday. You can’t do this to me, Sehun!” Chorong tightened her grip on the fresh cup of coffee she just bought. Halting in her steps underneath the shade of a tree she raised her voice into the phone, “I’m not done with this and neither are you. You better make it to Rise n’ Shine if you want to make yourself clear, damn it!”

Hanging up she crumpled up the paper cup with the remaining coffee and threw her hand out. The surprised shout of a man from behind made her spin around. Chorong’s jaw dropped upon seeing the coffee soaked shirt. Eyes roved up to see the stunned face of a passerby she hadn’t been aware of.

“I’m so sorry!” she immediately apologized. Grabbing her purse in hasty search of some tissues she began dabbing at his shirt.

“Forget it.” the man pushed her stubborn hands away. “I said stop.”

Lifting her head up at the demand she frowned. Irritated, she explained, “I said I was sorry. I didn’t see you and you don’t have to be so rude. I was just trying to help.”

The man’s brows furrowed, “For one thing, I wasn’t being rude. Second, you didn’t hear me when I said excuse me. My suggestion for you is not to steal the whole sidewalk when you’re on your phone. Maybe I could have avoided your coffee tantrum.”

Scoffing in disbelief with his behavior Chorong watched him walk around her with his suitcase before turning the corner.

“That jerk,” she muttered underneath her breath.

≈≈≈≈≈≈

Whoever this friend of his father was definitely made the old man anxious all morning. Sehun could barely believe he was really sitting in this private VIP room with the old man. Maybe he could escape all problems – his mother and Chorong – if he pretended he was seeing someone. Gosh, who knew women could zap one’s energy so fast with their emotional tantrums. It was already hard satisfying one alone.

For the nth time he took a sip of his cold water. These women were nearly fifteen minutes late already. Sehun was running out of patience, already regretting his decision to come. Right now he could still be in bed and better yet, still be avoiding the dreadful day by getting out of bed. If they didn’t arrive by the time the waiter returned to ask for their order Sehun was ready to up and go.

The door slid open and a waitress bowed as she led two women into the room. The first was an elderly woman Sehun saw on tabloids from time to time. The one that followed made him spit out the water in his mouth back into his cup.

Kim Namjoo.

Why was she here?

Sehun swerved to look at his father for an answer but the old man was already out of his seat and welcoming the two ladies, gladly pulling their chairs out for them – a gesture he’d never seen him pull for his mom the last twenty years of his life.

“I’m so sorry we’re late,” Namjoo’s mother apologized. “The hairdresser messed up my hair at the salon. She can’t ever get it right.”

Oh Hanjae laughed in a jolly manner, “Don’t even worry about that. Appearance is what a woman is all about.” Then speaking to him, “Say hello, Sehun. This is Madam Soobin and her daughter, Namjoo. Isn’t she beautiful just like I told you?”

Sehun’s eyes landed on Namjoo, who, not to his surprise, didn’t even give him a glance. Why did it feel like he’d avoided a hurdle only to run into it?

Chorong was seriously out to get him.

“Namjoo,” Soobin called.

Turning to attention, eyes finally on him she nodded a short greeting. And that…was it.

Why did he feel so irritated?!

“What would you like to eat today? I’ll treat today.” His father generously offered.

“Oh, please don’t.” Soobin endearingly smiled. “You don’t have to worry about us at all.”

“It’s my pleasure,” Hanjae grinned. Leaning forward to speak to Namjoo he said, “Make yourself comfortable and get whatever you want. Your mother is a great friend of mine.”

Sehun eyed his father. Exactly what kind of friend? Thinking about the relationship his father may have with her mother was suddenly more disturbing than he’d expected.

After ordering his father asked Namjoo, “Do you have a boyfriend, Namjoo?”

Against his own will, Sehun’s eyes watched her carefully. He knew everything. About her and Jongin. If she dared lie…

“No, sir,” she innocent told.

“That’s great,” his father expressed delighted then turned to look at him, “my son has been celibate too long. What do you think of him?”

Sehun’s brow twitched. He glanced at Namjoo and felt himself burn when she looked him over. Would she remember him? Would she recall how she’d laughed at him? He might have grown up but he didn’t look that different from his high school self.

Smiling prettily Namjoo said, “He’s not bad, sir. He resembles you.”

Again, his father laughed proudly. “Of course, he is my son after all.”

“Oh how cute,” Namjoo’s mother commented then asked him, “what about you, Sehun? What do you think of my daughter?”

Sehun’s eyes drifted yet again to Namjoo and felt his heart stampeding.

He knew everything about her. How she’d stolen Jongin and that she’d fought with Chorong yesterday. He knew she lied about not dating. And yet his heart still raced.

“She’s pretty.”

Madam Soobin squealed gleefully. His father, too ambitious for his own good and clearly a dope to the situation, exclaimed, “Why don’t you two get to know each other?”