Chapter 9

Hands

Seong-Im woke up earlier than usual, unusual for a Saturday, but this Saturaday is not the same as the others, today was the day of their first date! She smiled boardly, humming songs while she was selecting her clothes for the day. Her boyfriend was taking her to the aquarium for their first date. She skipped lightly to shower, her mother saw her and thought she saw her daughter, waking up in such early hours on a weekend. “Hi mum,” she sang. Her mother looked at her love stuck daughter and smiled.

Jong Kook couldn’t sleep at dawn and decided to go for a run around the park. He couldn’t help himself, he ran to the tree and stared at the spot he asked her to be his girlfriend, and grinned stupidly. He decided to run around the tree for a while before going back to his apartment. He hummed  his favourite tune while looking for suitable wears for today date. He was taking his girlfriend on their first date to the aquarium. He had to look his best. He sang in his shower, the song of his favourite singer, Kim Jong Kook, loveable. He looked into the mirror, it reflected a man who was in love. He beamed.

They had decided to have breakfast together. Seong-Im and him met in the supermarket, so they could prepare their breakfast and lunch.

“What do you want for breakfast?” Seong-Im asked.

“Mmm how about American breakfast? Let’s buy some bacon, sausages, make some scrambled eggs, some salad and toast?” Jong Kook suggested.

Seong-Im eyes lit up with delight. “I always wanted to have that for breakfast!” Jong Kook smiled, he loved the way Seong-Im eyes looked, her big brown eyes were sparkling with happiness.

“Mm .. I will make some gimbap. I could do those really well.” Seong-Im wanted to show her better cooking skills.

“Really? I love that.” He pushed the shopping cart while Seong-Im source for the ingredients. They left the market with their arms full. Of those, Jong Kook carried the heavy stuff at his insistence.

The kitchen soon filled with the sizzled from the bacon and sausages, Jong Kook was busy preparing their breakfast while Senog-Im diligently cooking and slicing the ingredients for the gimbap. Soon Jong Kook laid the two plates down on the table. “Come and eat while its hot. We can roll the gimbap later.” Jong Kook wanted Seong-Im to eat while the breakfast was hot. He had loved the way both of them working together in his tiny kitchen, sometimes, they would brushed against each other and he liked the itimate feeling.

“Ok,” the happy girl could hear her stomach drumming and quickly sat down for her breakfast. She tried the scrambled eggs, it was soft and buttery, the way she like it. “Mmm, the eggs tasted perfect.” And she wolfed down her breakfast. Jong Kook liked the way she enjoyed her meal, the breakfast would be too heavy for most girls but his girlfriend had loved his cooking and eating so naturally. He couldn’t help to love her more. He was hungry as well, and demolished the breakfast as fast as her.

He quickly washed the utensils both of them had used before helping Seong-Im rolled the gimbap while she cut it and placed it in the lunch boxes. They also packed some fruits and water and they are all ready to go.  They stepped out of the house, Jong Kook shyly took her hand in his. He had missed her tiny hands the whole week. He smiled contently.

“Why are you so happy?” she asked when she noticed the smile on his face.

“Able to hold your hand, I sort of miss them.” He said.

“Me too, I missed your hands.” She held his in both her arms. They didn’t even break their connection while getting into the train. The Saturday morning subway was not as crowded as the usual weekdays but Jong Kook still held her close to him, making sure she was safe. They chatted anything under the sun, even though the subject were minor, the conversation made them knew each other better. Soon the aquarium arrived.

They were excited when they entered the rainbow lounge and show fishes of different sizes, they took pictures with all the fishes particular with the sandines and sharks, which they stayed long to observe They finished the whole exhibit and felt hungry. They decided to walked to the nearby to have a picnic lunch.

They sat down on a bench and enjoy the cool breeze. Jong Kook took out their lunch boxes, while Seong-Im grabbed some wet tissues for them to clean their hands. Jong Kook had not taste the gimbap just now, Seong-Im had seen to it that he didn’t stole a single one. He quickly picked up one and placed it into his mouth. His eyes shone with amazement, it tasted really good!

“Wah, this is really tasty!! Simply amazing.” He praised Seong-Im, “I love it!” and proceed to put one more into his mouth.

Seong-Im felt herself beamed at his comments, finally something, she did better than him. She bit one piece of the gimbap in while trying to open a bottle of drink when suddenly she felt a pair of warm lips stole half of her piece. She looked at him, he was grinning, “this piece of gimbap tasted the best. Feed me with your lips?” he asked cheekily.

She couldn’t help but blushed. “We are in public!” she cried shyly.

“You mean you would do it when we are alone? Let’s go home!” Jong Kook wanted to pack and go home to finished their lunch!

“No.. I mean,... stop it” her face and ears were all red.

Jong Kook stopped his teasing when his girlfriend had now turned into a red apple, her cheeks looked delicious and he couldn’t stop himself and gave her a kiss on her cheeks. That made her blushed deepen.

“You looked so delicious and sweet like a red apple,”

“Stop looking at me, and stop kissing me..” she said bashfully.

“Really, but I love to look and kiss my girlfriend.” He said. She decided to take revenge, she quickly took a quick peck on his lips, and it was his turn to turn into a red tomato. Both of them burst into laughter and took a selfie of a red apple and a red tomato. They quickly ate their lunch and rented a tandem bike from a nearby bicycle shop, Jong Kook sat in front while she sat at the back. They pedal around enjoying the changing landscape of Hangang. Laughter could be heard from the couple.

When both of them grew tired, they decided to go home, he sent her to her home and they waved good bye. They had decided to have their second date the next day. Soon, the weekend past and it would be Monday again. Both of them was happy that their dates gone well and they enjoyed each other company, better than they thought they would. It had made their past bickering seem stupid.

Jong Kook knew he wouldnt leave her for a billion dollars.

Seong-im understood he had already captured her heart.