Chapter 3

Hands

She woke up early in the morning, usuallyshe would slept till noon on weekends but today, it was different, she needed to go to his house and helped him with whatever she can. She prepared some sandwiches and stopped by the supermarket to grab something to make his lunch and dinner. She inhaled a deep breathe when she was in front of his door, then she pressed the door bell. She waited for sometime, she wondered is he still sleeping.

 

He woke up, later than usual; he laid on his bed thinking about yesterday. Yesterday was a strange day, one that he never experience before. She was there for him, beside him, with him. He felt like she was his … he liked it, then he sighed. His heart sunk, she must know his fall was because of her, that was why she tried to make amends. The happy feeling he felt was gone, he couldn’t wave away the feeling he was abandon. The doorbell rang, it must be her, she said she would be here. He was feeling both joyous and sad to see her, she was not his, and never his. His heart felt stabbed over and over again when the negative thoughts ran through. He slowly make his way to the door, he made up his mind to enjoy the weekend, enjoy all her care and concern, all her attention. He would forget all these by Monday, he felt the stabs on his heart. He shook his head, driving away the negative thought.

 

He opened the door and saw the bright eye woman, his heart went over to her, she looked so pretty. “How are you feeling?” she asked, looked for signs of discomfort in him.

 

“I felt better after the night rest,” he said. He wanted to help her carry her things but she wouldn’t allow it and quickly walked to the kitchen, he closed the door and followed her.

 

“I made some breakfast” she washed her hands an unpacked the breakfast. He sat down on the dining table, she walked over and put her hands on his forehead, “the fever seem gone.” To confirm, she pressed her forehead against his. He could felt her breathe gently on his face, he was not prepare for this closeness, he could his breathe getting shallowed, he had hard time breathing. “The fever gone, I think we can stop the fever medicine.” She went back to prepare his medicine. He was too stunned to even eat his breakfast, his eyes followed hers, what is he to her, he wanted to ask her, but he couldn’t, all the words seem to be stuck in his mouth.

 

“Why are you not eating, I am quite sure it edible,” she looked at him suspiciously. “Ok, I will take a mouth first,” she bit into his sandwich. “See its edible, nothing funny in it. Quickly eat up” he look at the bite, he felt his face heat up, he took a bite of the sandwich at the same spot. “See it is nice right?” he nodded his head. He couldn’t trust himself to speak yet. He was done with the sandwich in no time, “Here the medicine.” Andhe ate it without a doubt. “Are you still feeling ill, you are very quiet today?” she came over, trying to acertain if he was well.

 

“I was just thinking. I am fine now, look” he tried to beat himself. He could felt pain.

 

“Don’t do that! I am trying to mend you and here you tried to cause more injury.” She murmured .

 

Yeah, she was tryingto mend him only, nothing else. Wake up Kim Jong kook. His eyes filled with sadness looking at her fussing over him.

 

“Let me put on more medicine for you.” As she helped him into the living room. He pulled up his shirt and she applied the medicine. She eyed those muscles of him, each one perfectly shaped, she wanted to touch them with her raw hands but wondered would he freak up.

 

“Thank you. I am really fine now” he wanted to tell her he was ok, he wanted her to leave, so that his heart would heal too but he didn’t want her to leave, he wanted to stay like this with her forever. He was sick, really sick.

 

“Don’t mention it,” the slience was not comfortable, not like yesterday. She wondered why was the change in mood, is it because he was now well and they would fall back to the old mode of interaction. She liked yesterday, could they be more like yesterday.

 

He sensed her discomfort, he didn’t know what to do, the conflicting feelings didn’t help. The devil finally won, he wanted her for these two days be his, he don’t want to think of future, that is not important now. He smiled, “Let’s go for a walk in the garden, some fresh air would be good.” She nodded and helped him up the sofa. She held his hands, just like a close couple would. Their hearts thumped uncontrollably, yet neither of them wanted to let go.

 

They make their ways to the garden, they found a bench and sat down listening to the birds, the winds and watching the clouds goes by, ever changing shapes, they were like the audience in a natural symphony. Both of them felt the stress in their work left them.

 

“It was pretty, the clouds .. “ Seong-Im commented.

 

“Not as pretty as you,” Jong Kook thought, then he was stunned by his own thoughts, what was he thinking about. This is Cheon Seong-Im, your arch enemy. “You must be still sick”. He gave his head a hard shook, “Yeah, this is like a small piece of paradise, I like to come here for a run.” He said, giving out some of his little secret.

 

“I wish I had a piece of paradise near my place too, but nearest park is too far away” Seong-Im looked envy at him.

 

“You are always ..” he bit his tongue, he was almost wanted to invite her to his paradise, but it would be too far away for her too. She turned towards him, waiting for him to carry on. “I meant here is also too far for you too.” She was disappointed, she didn’t know why, but she was. They both keep quiet, enjoying natural symphony once again.

 

Seong-Im’s stomach joined the symphony, it gave a loud groan and she turned all shades of red. Jong Kook gave a chuckle, “Let’s go back and prepare lunch.” He willingly accepted all the help Seong-Im gave him, he liked their closeness. They made slow progress back to his apartment, actually it was not that painful anymore, but he enjoyed his treatment very much.