Chapter 5

Hands

The morning sun gently caressed his face, the wind entered from the window and kissed his cheeks before shyly ran away. He woke up, feeling the world belong to him. She would be here, entering his world again. He smiled, remembering his dream yesterday night, it was them getting marry, they were married in the traditional way and she looked simply dazing. They had vowed to be husband and wife, holding each other hands and locked into each other eyes. The sweetness had filled his heart. They belonged to each other. He had no doubt after that dream, they felt too right together.

He got up and brushed his teeth, looking at himself in the mirror. The reflection looked happy and at peace. The thoughts that had been troubling him cleared, and now his heart and brain were as clear as water. He had looked forward to his work everyday, just so he could squabble with her. He wanted all her attention to be on him. He wanted to be beside her, that was why he chose the nearest seat to her so he could be close to her. He loved her voice, even in heated argument, she would not increase her pitch.  He would be jealous of her talking to males and hated the fact they were after her. He would not even look at other ladies, there was no room in his heart for them. He would disagree if that what was needed for her eyes to be on him. He remembered all her fears and all her likes. He knew when she needed reassurance, when she needed consoling, when she needed someone to lend on. He was always there with her, offering his hands whenever she needed them. Even in the brief touch, he would channel the energy she needed. She belong to his world.

He took a drink of water, she was worth it, he thought. If it happened again, he would still do it, there was no regret. He touched his mending knee, the happiness he felt knowing he was there for her had even took away some of his pain. So what now, he pondered, where could he go from here. He had knew what was it liked to be with her, without argument. He couldn’t go back to what it was, he wanted them to be like now. They can argue over work but other times, they should be like this, like opposite poles magnet.

His phone rang, it was her. “What do you like for lunch and dinner? I am going to the supermarket near your house, I can pick up the ingredients.” 

“The one at the junction.” He heard her say yes. “Let me join you and we can pick up the things together. Give me 5 minutes and I will be there”

“There is no need to” she wanted to say but the phone went dead. She smiled. So typical of him, still an impatient guy. She walked towards the supermarket, she had enjoyed his company, they had so much in common. No wonder they could quarrel and work so well, they was no misunderstanding of each other, each point would hit the nail. She remembered the first time they met, he was working on a concept and Jae Suk tapped on his table, he looked up and their eyes met. His eyes seemed to pierce through her, into the depths of her. Jae Suk had broken the spell and his eyes turned into a pair of crescents. Then on their first team meeting, she was talking to Gary when he rudely interrupted her, from then on, they were on a journey to tear each other apart. They had an unspoken rule, insulted only each other and no more. After each tiff, she got to know him better. The squabbles gave her new energy and inspire new thinking in her work. He was like a wind, she could be going against him in one minute and the next looking for him to back her up. Every touch by him, make her heart calmed down and she could do everything.

She was more than appreciative when he ran to her on Friday. A touch of his hand make her world brighten, nothing was impossible, even when those men trying to make things difficult, she had calmly fight it off. She knew she wanted more, now she saw what the other possibility was. She wanted the clashes of ideas during work and the peace that could offer her a haven from the city noise, the best of both worlds. He was essential in her world.

She saw him running towards her, her heart thumped uncontrollable. His face beamed when he saw her, she could not help but grinned at the man who stole her heart. “You shouldn’t run, what if the wound tear again", she bent down to examine whether there were fresh blood stains on the plaster.

“I am all well, don’t worry, let us go get some food. I am hungry” he reassurance her, his heart jump wildly. He had no doubt it was not due to the run, but the woman beside him, as they walked side by side into the supermarket. They decided to cook something fancy for lunch, ginseng chicken soup and 2 other dishes. Jong Kook had insisted of making one of the dishes. “Let you try my cooking.” He had told her. “If you like it, I could cook more for you.” He promised. Her heart was thumped even harder now, she could felt her ears heated up. He was the same, his heart had jumped into his mouth and he felt hot, he wanted the future to be like this.

They paid for the grocery and they went back to his apartment, Seong-Im had passed him the sandwich she made him, and he had eaten it all on the way back. Seong-Im went into the kitchen and made him a cup of tea and a cup of coffee for herself. His house had only green tea so she bought herself some coffee. She felt like slowly invading into his home and creating a place for herself. She saw him packed the bag of coffee beside his tea and she couldn’t help by radiate happiness, it was like he accepting her into his home, she had a place here.

They packed away the rest of ingredients they bought and started to clean the ones that they needed for lunch. While they are preparing the food, they chit-chat and shared some tips on cooking. He found out that she can make his favourite mandu, he was excited, he kind of missed homemake mandu. “You must cook it for me,” he was practically begging her and she could only agree.

Their master pieces were quickly done and soon the kitchen was filled with the aromatic smell of their dishes. They sat down and she tasted his dish first, he looked at her half worried as she ate her first mouth. His heart fell back into its place when he saw her eyes shone with delighted as she took her second mouth. “Your cooking skill was so much better than mine, this was simply delicious!” she exclaimed. He blushed at her compliment. They devoured the rest of the food and washed up.

He felt silent during the washing of the dishes, he had made up his mind, she was the one for him and he would not want to let her go, she was an integral part of him. But how should he ask her, not at his house that for sure, it was cosy but not romantic. The most romantic he could think of is the little park she liked so much.

“How about a walk in the park?” he suggested after taking his medicine.

“Ok, are you sure you are ok? You are not tired?” she asked.

“Mm.. how can I show you I am well?” he pondered.

“Well, if you say so, let’s go?” she wanted to visit the little paradise again. They walked leisurely there in peaceful mood. He wanted to ask her in his favourite spot.

“Let’s go to my favourite spot,” as he guided her there. It was under a large tree and you could sit under it and took a glimpse of what went past.

“This was so serene.” She noted, falling more in love with the park.

“I had a question to ask you,” he gulped down his worry, taking her hand into his own, his eyes landed on hers. He heard himself asking the question “Do you want to be my girlfriend?”