The Yang that is Yoseob

Just Because

It was 1 year after Junhyung was introduced to them that Doojoon met Yoseob. 

It was pure coincidence when Doojoon, Kikwang and Junhyung walked by the alleyway where the small blonde boy was in a predicament.  He was backed up to the brick wall of the alleyway, surrounded by 5 guys that were all ruthless looking.  Each of them was dressed in black jackets and wore a red arm band on their left arms, signaling they were in some gang that wasn’t important enough for Doojoon to know the name of.

The boy wore a determined look on his face, he was clearly not afraid of the threatening guys and he stood tall, ready to hold his ground.

Doojoon watched on with amazement as one of the men lunged at the boy who easily parried the attack.  He used his attacker’s momentum to throw him to the ground over his shoulder.  Two more of the men moved in to attack the boy, who not-so-easily blocked their attacks and shoved them away.  Leaving room for a fourth man to run in and tackle the boy to the ground.

The boy used the tackler’s momentum to flip him over his head and once again stood back up.  Eyes alert as ever, ready for the next attacker.  All five men were back on their feet at this point, circling the boy once more.  This time three of the attackers lunged at the same time, finally overtaking the boy and beating him to the ground.

Doojoon winced at one particularly harsh kick to the small blonde’s ribs.  There were two men holding the boy down while the tallest guy approached him, which was when Doojoon decided to step in.  He threw an inviting smirk to Junhyung and Kikwang.  Junhyung was already holding a few small poppers while Kikwang had slipped on his specially designed brass knuckles.

The three boys made quick work of the 5 thugs.  Two were unconscious and the other three fled the scene, limping as they ran away.

“Are you ok?” Doojoon asked the small boy who was panting slightly.

The blonde looked up at the question, catching Doojoon off guard.  Although he was battered and beat up he was the most beautiful person Doojoon had ever laid eyes on.  His blonde hair was still shining brightly, and those eyes. Those big brown eyes made Doojoon feel like he was the only person in the world when they looked at him.  His face was small, round and absolutely adorable.  How could someone want to beat up someone so perfect?

“Who are you affiliated with?” The boy asked, catching the trio off guard with his serious question.

“What do you mean?” Doojoon questioned, not wanting to hint at being in a gang if the blonde wasn’t talking about that.

“You’re obviously not regular, every day good Samaritans,” the blonde explained, standing on wobbling legs, “people don’t just charge at 5 goofs in matching jackets.  Regular good Samaritans also don’t carry concealed weapons, and lowly gangs would use all their concealed weapons if they did have them.  You only used a few poppers and one set of brass knuckles when it’s clear that all of you had more hidden under your sleeves.”

“Impressive,” Junhyung commented with a smirk.

“Who are you?” Doojoon asked, awed with the boy that stood in front of him.

“I asked you first,” the boy wasn’t backing down, “who are you affiliated with?  I don’t mean to be rude,” he explained, “I just need to know whether or not to take you three seriously.”

Doojoon nodded understanding, “I’m a Yoon.  Yoon Doojoon and these are my friends, Lee Kikwang and Yong Junhyung.”

The boy’s eyes widened.  He obviously wasn’t expecting that.  The recognition in his eyes showed Doojoon that this kid was one of them.  He was mafia raised.

“Hmm,” the boy smirked.  “Well, my name is Yang Yoseob.  Thanks for your help but I’m sure I’m of no use to you so I’ll be on my way.”

“Wait,” Doojoon stopped the boy by placing a firm hand on his shoulder, “where are you from?”

“Nowhere that’s of use to the Yoon’s,” Yoseob informed before trying to leave again.

“It’s not where you come from that makes you useful,” Junhyung spoke up.

“Yeah, Junnie came from jail!” Kikwang shouted, eyes wide with excitement.

“It wasn’t jail!” Junhyung yelled, “It was reformatory school.  And it didn’t even matter.”

Yoseob giggled at the two arguing.

“So are you going to tell me where you’re from?” Doojoon asked, turning to the boy once more.

Yoseob looked at the ground sadly, shrugging Doojoon’s hand off of his shoulder, “nowhere.”

“You’ve got to be from somewhere,” Doojoon argued, “you know about my family’s name, and you seem to be quite experienced in combat.”

“Plus you’ve got an eye for my equipment,” Kikwang added.

“I fight because I have to, I notice things because if I don’t I’ll get killed,” Yoseob offered, with no emotion.

“That doesn’t explain why you know my name,” Doojoon said.

“Those guys,” the blonde started, “the ones you beat up, they’re a small gang.  Really, they shouldn’t even be able to call themselves a gang.  But they’re in trouble; they took a loan from the Yoon’s and now have to pay it back.  They’ve destroyed my family.  My dad belonged to a gang that got in trouble with them, and they were in even more trouble than him.  We were so close to getting out too.  I never wanted to be a part of this life, but I got dragged in to it.”

“When you say destroyed…” Kikwang wondered out loud.

“They invaded our homes,” Yoseob clenched his fists, “burned mine down with my parents still inside.”  The blonde turned around and punched the wall, causing his fist to bleed.  He sighed in defeat, sitting on the floor against the wall.

“When?” Junhyung asked this time.

“2 years ago,” the blonde sighed, “I’ve been living on the streets since then, pick pocketing when I can.  Just living this meager existence.”

“I’m sorry,” Doojoon apologized, he felt guilty.  His father’s gang was the root of this boy’s distress.  Even though you had to fill a lot of blanks to get to that conclusion.

“Why?” The blonde looked up, surprised at the tall boy’s sudden apology.

“It’s because of my dad’s gang,” he said, “they’re the start of the problem.”

Yoseob chuckled, shaking his head, “nah, I don’t blame you.  Or your dad for that matter.”

“Well good,” Doojoon said, standing tall, “since you have no problem with anyone from my family and you have nowhere to stay, come live with us.”

“What?!” Yoseob looked up.

“I won’t take no for an answer,” Doojoon said, pulling the smaller boy up and dragging him behind the three as they made their way back home. 

Mr. Yoon was expectedly surprised when his son, along with his friends, brought this new boy home.  He wasn’t exactly sure why either, but his son seemed very determined to give the boy a home so he accepted.  He saw a glint of something unrecognizable in his son’s eyes that day, knowing he was growing up and making his own decisions, it made Mr. Yoon proud.