Doojoon, meet Kikwang

Just Because

Doojoon was 7 when he met Kikwang.  His father had signed on a new weapons consultant and the man had a son that was near his age. 

Lee Kikwang. The boy was short, with spiked black hair that made him look adorable.  The 6 year old was half a head smaller than Doojoon but the boy wore a confident smile as he fiddled with his little toy nerf gun.

“Son,” Doojoon was standing tall next to his father, facing another man with a boy standing next to him, “this is Mr. Lee, he is my new weapons consultant.  And this is his son Kikwang.  He is near your age and will be around quite a bit so try to get along with him well.”

Doojoon looked at his dad who was smiling, then to Mr. Lee who was also smiling.  He then looked to the small boy who looked him dead in the eyes with a look of pure determination.  The boy lifted his nerf gun and pointed it straight at Doojoon before pulling the trigger and having the suction dart land right between his eyes.

Doojoon looked to his dad, while pulling the dart off of his face.  He seemed amused by the situation.  He then looked back at the offending boy who wore a proud grin as he reloaded his gun with another dart.

At that moment, Doojoon decided he liked Kikwang.

The two young boys grew close through the years.  Both attending the same schools and studying together when they would come home. 

When you are a part of these mafia families, the members usually all live in the same house/mansion.  Therefore, Doojoon and Kikwang lived in the same mansion.  They lived just down the hall from each other actually meaning they had lots of time to hang out.

Mr. Yoon noticed one day when Doojoon and Kikwang were playing, Doojoon was coming up with strategies on how Kikwang could be most efficient in shooting his targets.  Doojoon was a natural born leader and it was clearly seen in his friendship with the younger boy.  Kikwang would follow Doojoon and do whatever he said, even if it sometimes got the two in to trouble.

 

“You know, Kiki,” Doojoon spoke up to his friend who was sitting next to him at the dinner table.  The two boys were the only ones present.  Doojoon was 14 at the time, Kikwang 13.  “We’re going to grow up one day, and we’re going to have to do what our dads do.”

“I know,” Kikwang shrugged, nonchalantly while sticking a piece of broccoli in his mouth.

“We’re going to have to go on missions and it’s going to be dangerous,” the older boy stated, studying the younger boy’s face.

“I know that too,” the young boy said again, not as worried as Doojoon was.

“We could get hurt,” Doojoon’s brows furrowed.  He wasn’t as worried about himself, but he’d hate if his friend got hurt.  The younger seemed so innocent and he would hate it if anything happened t him.

“Yeah, we probably will,” Kikwang nodded, “why are you so worried all of a sudden?”

“I just wanted to make sure you knew so we could start preparing, you know?” Doojoon sighed, turning back to his food.

Kikwang nodded, “you know, hyung.  You’ve always got me.  I’ll follow you as long as I live.  Someone’s got to watch your back because we all know you don’t.”

Doojoon chuckled, feeling reassured.

 

 

 

“Why are you putting all my toys in boxes, daddy?” A 6 year old Kikwang asked his father as he pulled one of his toy guns out of a neatly packed box.

“I told you son, we’re moving.  We’re going to be living in a new mansion with a new family,” Mr. Lee explained, taking the toy gun from his son and placing it nicely back in the box before taping it up.

“Why are we moving, daddy?”

“Daddy got a new job with a new family.”

“Are we going far?” The little boy asked, looking in another box for another toy, only to find it full of his clothes.

“Yes we are, Kikwangie,” Mr. Lee nodded, taping up another box.

“Am I still gonna go to school?” The little boy blinked with a hopeful smile.

“Yes, but it’s going to be a different school,” the man informed, handing his son one of his less messy toy guns.  (ie: one without “bullets”)

The little boy took the gun and aimed it at a box, “Why are we going, daddy?”

“I already told you, Kwangie,” Mr. Lee explained again, patiently, “Daddy got a new job with a new family.  We’re going to live with the Yoon family.”

“The Yoon Family?”

“That’s right, and guess what,” Mr. Lee smiled.

“What?”

“They have a son and he’s around your age.  Isn’t that exciting?”

Little Kikwang formed a smile and nodded his head.  He was currently the only kid living here and it wasn’t very fun to come home from school and have to play by himself.  Another kid is very exciting news.  But what if he’s mean? The little boy thought to himself before shaking his head, what if he’s nice?

“When are we going, daddy?”

“Right now,” Mr. Lee smiled, taping up his last box and pulling his son out the door.

 

 

“What’s his name, daddy?” Kikwang asked his father once the two were seated on the train.

“Yoon Doojoon.  He’ll be your hyung, so be sure to be polite to him.”

Kikwang nodded, “Does he like guns?”

Mr. Lee chuckled, “I don’t know son, but you be sure to share your toys with him.”

“I will.” The boy said, his smile reaching his eyes.

 

 

“Welcome to the Yoon Mansion, Mr. Lee,” a tall man with a black suit greeted the father and son when they reached the door to the big mansion they would be staying at.

Mr. Lee nodded with a slight bow as his son just stood there, mouth hanging open and eyes wide taking in the sight of the magnificent house.

“We’re gonna be living here, daddy?”

“You sure are,” the man at the door said with a smile, “please come in; I’ll inform Mr. Yoon that you’ve arrived.”

“Sir,” an elderly woman spoke up when the two entered the house, she wore a simple black maid’s dress, “please follow me, I will take you to your suite.”

Mr. Lee took his son by the hand and followed the lady as Kikwang was too distracted by all the sights inside the house.

“This will be your suite,” the elderly woman smiled, opening the door to an already furnished, very spacious suite.  “It already has all the amenities and if you need anything, feel free to ask, we will be very happy to acquire what you need.”

“Thank you ma’am,” Mr. Lee bowed.

“Come on, I will show you where everything is,” she smiled again, leading the father and son into the suite.  “Over here is the living room, the kitchen is just to the left.  A guest bathroom is in the hall down there.  There is the master bedroom at the end of the hall and just next to it is the second bedroom.  I hope you like it Kikwangie, the young master helped decorate it and he also helped pick out your furniture.”

Kikwang smiled, this boy is nice!

 

 

“Kikwangie, are you ready to go meet the Yoons?” Kikwang’s father asked after he had unpacked a little bit.

The young boy nodded in excitement, grabbing his favorite nerf gun.

 

“Son,” the tall man standing across from Kikwang spoke to his son, “This is Mr. Lee, he is my new weapons consultant.  And this is his son Kikwang.  He is near your age and will be around quite a bit so try to get along with him well.”

The slightly bigger boy looked up at his father before looking at Kikwang’s father which annoyed Kikwang a little, he was being introduced but he was looked at last? Hmph, Kikwang was overcome with a wave of determination as he raised his gun and pointed it straight at the other boy.  He didn’t know what came over him as he let his finger squeeze the trigger.

The other boy looked confused as a dart hit him right in between his eyes but he didn’t flinch or do anything other than calmly pull the dart off his face before smiling at Kikwang.

Kikwang liked this boy.