"I...need...you..."

I'll Be Waiting

Chapter Nine

 

"Where are you off to again? Have some fruit before you go" my mother suggested.

She put a plate of neatly sliced assortment of apples, oranges and pears onto the coffee table.

"I'm just going out for a little air..." I lied, wrapping my woollen grey scarf around my neck.

"Well you've been going out at this time of night for the past two days already. What's wrong with the air here?"

"It's alright, umma. Like you said, I've been doing this for the past two days already and I've always come home fine"

She threw me a doubtful look.

"You aren't sneaking out to see boys are you?!"

I shook my head in amusement while patting my back pocket for HyukJae's key.

She sat stiffened on the couch.

"Oh honey, how can you do this to HyukJae? You'll make him all pouty and sad..."

I sighed deeply.

"Umma, you really are a joke! I am not sneaking out to see boys and, for the record, I am not taking any advantages against HyukJae"

"Then what?"

"Well is it wrong for me to be fond of the crisp night air?"

"Yes, very wrong"

I unlatched the door and was greeted by a cool breeze of frost.

"Sleep early okay, umma? I'll be back before you know it"

She crossed her legs and popped the slice of apple in .

"Fine, but don't forget to be safe"

"Yes yes, I will"

"That means no wandering into dark alleyways and no talking to bad men"

Wandering into dark alleyways? Talking to bad men?

Been there, done that.

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Here we are again, dear" the usual bus driver said.

"Thank you for taking time to drive me all the way here every night" I answered gratefully

I got up from the passenger seat directly behind him.

"It's my pleasure, and I think I'm beginning to look forward to your daily night rides"

"Well actually...this routine might just have to stop after tonight, I don't need to visit this friend of mine anymore"

He raised his grey eyebrow at me.

"Oh? Why so? Not only will your friend miss your visits, so will I!"

I smiled.

"But if you'd like, I'll try to visit as much as I can in the future. Just not every night"

"Of course, but although nothing bad has happened to you yet, visiting every night will be of great risk to you"

I nodded.

"But it's okay, sometimes I think it's worth the risk"

"Worth the risk hm? This friend of yours, they do seem like quite the charmer"

I smiled stupidly at the worn bus isle.

"Yeah, he is quite special I guess..."

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

I whistled to the tune of the song ringing through my headphones and approached the flickering lamp.

A soaking sewer rat prowled in the shadow created by upturned manhole.

A smile crept across my lips and I tiptoed towards it, but in a snap it disappeared down the endless gushing pit.

I pouted in disappointment and turned into the usual dark alleyway, eyes focused on the dim light ahead.

I weaved my way around all the dips and cracks of the worn concrete, feet causing loose gravel to scatter.

Turning the corner I arrived at the stairwell up to HyukJae's apartment.

The metal rails were coated with icy dew drops and layers of frost covered each step, making it a hazardous journey up.

Suddenly something sniffed.

Actually no. 

Someone sniffed.

My eyes followed up the staircase and a dark figure sat at the top of the landing.

I strained my neck to have a better look, but the familiar figure didn't budge. It stayed hidden in the shadow of the neighbouring building.

"Y-Yah! Who are you and what are you doing outside my apartment?!" I questioned nervously.

The stranger chuckled coldly.

"Your apartment is it now?"

I frowned.

Could it possibly be HyukJae's landlord again...?

"W-What are you doing back here? I paid you what was fair, and you're not getting any more"

He didn't respond.

"If you're here to cause trouble, d-don't even think about it"

Still no response.

"What does he even want...?"

Finally he made a movement, but still not enough to let the dim light illuminate his true identity.

With every step, the soles of his shoes made a hard clunking sound against the stiff steel.

I took a cautious step back, almost stumbling backwards as the distance between us grew closer.

Only one thing shot through my mind...

"...you’ll know what's gonna go down..."

I clenched my fists together at my sides.

My breathing became irregular as his left foot finally stepped off the last landing.

"D-Don't come any closer. You don't know how loud I can scream you know!"

He was getting close.

"No one will hear you..." he said huskily.

So close that I could almost hear him smirk.

I let out a small whimper and clasped my hands around my collar, pushing the scarf right against the goose bumps forming on my neck.

The area below my hips began to tingle and feel completely vulnerable.

"You ready, baby?"

Tears prickled the back of my eyes.

My lips parted to release my final cry of panic.

"HYUKJAAAAAAE!"

I mentally slapped myself.

Of all the things I could have screamed, I chose that stupid blonde head's name.

This is all his fa-

"Yes...?"

I glared at the faceless attacker.

"Oh shut up you, your name isn't Hyuk-"

He finally stepped into the light.

"Jae..."

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"Here drink this, you'll feel warmer. Sorry, this old place isn't properly insulated"

He handed me a mug of microwaved strawberry milk that he had squeezed from the carton.

Hugging my knees against chest, I cupped my hands around the steaming cup of creamy pinkness.

"Thank you, but how about you? Aren't you cold"

He sat down next to me on the couch, making the rusting springs squeak under our weight.

"It's okay, I'm used to this already"

I took a sip from the cup and felt the warm liquid glide down my throat.

I looked at HyukJae and his pale hands were shaking.

"HyukJae, here" I said, holding my strawberry milk out to him.

He looked taken aback at first, but then laughed softly to himself.

"Your lip..."

I frowned as he continued to stare.

"Here"

He lent forward.

I panicked.

For a second his cold fingers were felt upon my lips, but then they retreated again.

My tongue cautiously my upper lip, damn you strawberry foam.

"H-Here, please just have some. Unless...you're worried since I drank fr-"

He shook his head quickly and took a big gulp, but choked.

I chuckled and rubbed his back.

"It's hot you know!"

He smiled sheepishly before placing the mug onto the messy coffee table.

"Hey so why are you back here already anyway? Your flight is supposed to be tomorrow morning, that's what appa told me" I questioned, adjusting my seating position on the couch.

"Oh yes, well we actually managed to catch the evening flight because the conference finished earlier than we first thought"

"Well it's great that you're back early, I'm happy that you're here again"

He smiled.

"I'm happy to see you again too"

He yawned and stretched his arms above his head.

"Oh I really fooled you didn't I?" he chuckled.

"Fooled me what?"

"You know, just downstairs when you actually thought I was some drunk idiot"

I scoffed.

"That wasn't funny..."

"But were you afraid?"

I hesitated for a second, but nodded honestly.

"Really afraid"

"So what if I had been there?"

"I...but you-"

"Would you have let me protect you?"

I glanced at his delicate fingers, and then down at my own.

"Yes..."

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"Before I forget, I need to ask you about the other payment" I began.

HyukJae had insisted on walking me to the bus stop, and we had arrived a few minutes before the last bus for the night.

He turned to look directly at me.

"Other payment...?"

I nodded.

"Something about the rest of last week's rent I think"

HyukJae's lips parted to speak, but he forced his words back down his throat.

I frowned.

"It was all in the envelope right?"

"I...the..." he stuttered stupidly.

I tilted my head to the side and stared up at him.

"Your face is a little pale...are you okay?"

He inhaled deeply and forced a grin onto his face.

"I'm fine, really. I think it's just a little jet lag"

"Are you sure? Because-"

"Oh! The bus is here" he said, pointing to the end of the deserted street.

The vehicle pulled up to the side of the path and the automated doors pulled open.

"Well I'll be off now, please sleep early tonight okay? And if your jet lag doesn't go away you should-"

"Yes yes I know, go home safely!" he said, ushering me onto the bus.

I smiled and waved him goodbye.

"Wait!"

I turned to look back at him.

"Please don't come here again. It's not safe for you anymore"

The doors shut before I could even answer him in time.

I scrambled to the window and watched him stand alone at the bus stop.

The bus turned right at the intersection, and the corner of the brick building engulfed HyukJae's figure.

"It's not safe for you anymore..."

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

“The number you have dialled is currently unavailable. Please leave your message after the tone, or hang up now”

I took my cell phone away from my ear and looked hopelessly at the illuminated screen.

“Lee HyukJae; 8 unsuccessful calls”

“Honey, dinner’s almost ready! Come set up the table before your appa gets home!” my mother called from the kitchen

I sighed and left the device idle and inactive on the edge of my desk.

“No wait…in case he calls, I’ll keep it with me…” 

I stuffed it back into the right pocket of my pale green hoodie, nodding to give myself some encouragement.

I was doing the right thing.

Right?

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

“Here yeobo, have some of this. I made it especially for you” my mother said, dropping a piece of rice cake into my father’s bowl.

He nodded, but kept his eyes firmly locked on mine. 

He never liked losing.

Even when it came to staring competitions.

My mother frowned, looking at the both of us with concern.

“W-What’s the matter you two? Eat up!” she encouraged, attempting to break the silence.

“What’s the matter? Why don’t you ask your daughter” he growled.

“H-Honey…why are you like this to your appa? He’s just come home from a hard day at work and-“

“He hates HyukJae” I cut in bluntly.

My father scoffed and slammed his chopsticks onto the table, metal to wood.

“Excuse me? If you dare to say that again I will-

I, too, slammed my chopsticks onto the table making the bowls rattle.

“HE. HATES. HYUKJAE.” I repeated wittingly.

“Hey! Stop it you two, I don’t want this at the dinner table. Sort it out now!” my mother demanded, raising her voice to signal silence.

I sighed deeply and lent forward to confront my enraged father.

“Appa, you tell me, why isn’t HyukJae picking up my calls?”

My father looked bewildered.

“That’s none of my business, how would I know?!”
“But he-“

“KEEP YOUR VOICES DOWN!” my mother boomed.

My father and I both gasped at once. It was unbelievable to see mother like this.

She came to a sense of realisation and smiled sheepishly, sinking into the dining chair.

“J-Just speak in turn okay…?” One voice at a time” she cooed softly.

My father clasped his hands together and rested them onto the dining table.

“If you’re my daughter, listen carefully to what I have to say and don’t interrupt” he stated clearly.

I nodded.

“I, for one, have no idea why HyukJae isn’t picking up your calls. But what I know is that whatever the reason is, it has nothing to do with me”

A sense of guilt settled in the pits of my stomach.

“So you really have nothing to do with this?”

He nodded.

“Really”

“Then I’m sorry for blaming it on you just now, but it’s just that I’m a little worried for him. That’s all”

“Well I’m sure HyukJae’s alright. He’s probably just spending some time with his girlfriend, you shouldn’t disturb them” my father comforted, hoping it would take my mind off things.

I forced upon a smile. As much as I wanted to think my father was right, I knew I couldn’t.

My mother touched my arm and nodded.

“Your father’s right, it’s nothing to worry about. It’s not like he’s friends with the mafia or anything

Suddenly my phone rang.

“Oh, and there we go!” my mother said, perking up.

I dug into my pocket and fumbled with the vibrating device.

“Lee HyukJae calling”

“HyukJae! Why didn’t you pick up my calls?! Do you know how-“

“I…need…you…”

I drew in a sharp breath.

He sounded breathless and in unbearable pain.

“But when I go home and open this, and it’s not what you say…you’ll know what’s gonna go down”


A/N: SO THIS TOOK LIKE FOREVER. Really sorry - _ - I swear I have to apologise every time because I write so slowly now huhuhu~ anyway I hope at least this was worth the wait? But feel free to brick me for the cliff hanger *smirks* *bricked x100* DON'T YOU THINK THE STRAWBERRY MILK SCENE WAS JUST THE CUTEST THING EVER OMG. CUTENESS OVERLOAD I CAN'T TAKE IT. And all that fluffy stuff about him wanting to protect her...awww~ JUST CONFESS ALREADY YOU TWO. Wonder how long they're gonna keep this up for...

 

 

@purplekpop: Lol okay so I guess this chapter was scary as well...maybe this fic should turn into a horror kkk~ lol jk. Just when you think the scary stuff is over...BAM HYUKJAE IN TROUBLE. WHY? Well...you'll find out later *smirks*

@ShinBi34: Yes Amber is so cute giggling at Hae kkk~ as much as she tries to hide it, SHE LIKES IT JUST AS MUCH AS WE DO. You liked that GIF? Well...THE ONE ABOVE IS EVEN MORE /cough AROUSING. Nah uh! She couldn't take Choco home or else her appa would know about her and HyukJae spending so much time together (although pabo appa still believes Hyuk has a girlfriend...)! 

@chadlr: Thank you for reading ^^ I'm glad you liked that part, many other people did too!

 

"Don't mind me, I'm just lying on the floor being y..."