Girlfriend

I'll Be Waiting

Chapter Six

 

"H-HyukJae...you know you don't have to do this, I can go home and sleep. It's fine" I insisted as we got off the empty bus at the final stop.

I followed him as he trekked up a flight of concrete steps that led up the steep hill side.

"I told you, it's okay. If you went home to sleep, there is no way your appa is going to believe your little Hanyeon lie"

I ran a little after him, the street light above flickering off, robbing me of my sense of direction.

HyukJae's dark figure stopped and the lamp next to him flickered on again.

"Come on, there are strange people around here at this time of night you know?" he smiled.

"HyukJaaae!" I squeaked after him as he disappeared around the corner.


 

***



I looked cautiously behind, ahead, left and right.

"H-How much further until we get to your apartment?" I asked, trying my hardest to stay right behind HyukJae.

He turned again, but this time into a dark and unlit alleyway.

"Where are you going?!" I called after him, feet firmly on the ground.

"The way up to my place is down here. Come on, we're nearly there" he replied, figure fully submerged in the dark.

"B-But those strange people might..."

He sighed and stepped back out into the light.

He grabbed my hand and his fingers intertwined with mine.

"It's alright, I'm here okay?"

My cheeks felt like they had fallen victim to a few hundred arsonists armed with gasoline and matches.

He led me down the pathway, my mind blank for most of the time, and at the end there was an almost hidden flight of metal steps that led up to a single wooden door.

With each step the rusting metal shuddered and groaned under our weight, not that we were particularly heavy though.

I stared down at the pulsating heights below, making my grip tighten on HyukJae's hand.

For a split second an agile sewer rat scampered up the handrail, flicking some sort of unwanted substance onto my free hand. I whimpered and rubbed it off against my jeans.

"And here we are" HyukJae announced, searching his pockets for his keys.

He released my hand.

The cruel air of the night began devouring the backs of my hands and gnawing at my fingertips.

I watched HyukJae's gentle fingers insert the corresponding key into the lock, and with one twist to the left the lock unlatched itself.

My eyes continued to follow his fingers as they wrapped themselves around the once polished door knob. His knuckles bleached white for a second as he applied strength to turn it.

The door opened after a long sensation of creaking and . He stepped inside and his fingers gripped onto the dull doorframe for support as he took off his shoes.

The wooden frame was already colorless and pale, but it still could not compare to the white milkiness of HyukJae's skin.

"So...what do you think?" he asked.

I blinked twice before stepping through the entrance.

For the first time I observed my surroundings, rather than HyukJae's hands.

The room consisted of four lifeless walls and the only window was above the sink in what looked like the kitchen.

There was an old stove with a few missing indicators, and the absence of pots on the front two elements told me they were most likely faulty. However, next to the run down appliance wasn't a fridge, but HyukJae's bed.

Yes, his bed.

There was a single couch and a worn out coffee table in the centre of the room.

On the coffee table lay a couple of computer programming textbooks, a stack of music albums, and unfinished manuscript sprawled over every vacant surface.

There was also an acoustic guitar leaning against the arm of the couch, and it stuck out like a sore thumb against the rest of the room as it looked fairly new.

Around the edges of the room there were a few closed doors, almost one cut through every wall, but it was hard to tell what they led to.

Suddenly my eyes darted to something hiding in the corner.

A few pieces of newspaper lay spread out on the dusty wooden floor. On top of it was a brown clump of...

I scanned the room for HyukJae's bathroom.

Nothing.

That stuff can't be...

Does he expect me to use newspaper to...

Does he even have a bathroom?!

"H-HyukJae...that's not yours right?" I stuttered, pointing at the mess.

HyukJae followed my finger and laughed hysterically after realizing what I was on about.

"Mine? That's Choco's!"

"C-Choco?"

As soon as I repeated the name a small blonde Chihuahua scrambled out from behind the couch.

It sniffed at my ankles and nuzzled against my leg.

"I think she likes you" HyukJae smiled, scooping the miniature pet into his arms.

I pat Choco's head and giggled when she my finger with her pink tongue in response.

"Oh and if you were wondering, I do have a bathroom" he added, pointing at the closed door at the far end of the room.

"I-I'm sorry...I just thought-"

"No no, it's okay, I don't blame you. This place is pretty disappointing, but it's actually quite cozy after you get used to the rats"

"Mwo?! Rats?! IcantIreallyhatethem-"

"Hey hey, calm down! I was only joking. You only ever see them on the other side of the door, I've never seen one in here"

I let out a sigh of relief.

HyukJae sat down on the couch and set Choco free to roam around on the floor again.

I crossed my legs next to him and hugged one of the puffy cushions.

"So how long have you lived here for?"

"For nearly three months now. Before your appa hired me I worked at a nearby convenience store"

"Then how about your family? Do they live somewhere else in Busan?"

He shook his head.

"My appa and umma both live in Seoul. My older sister lives with them and she has a stable job too"

"Then why did you come to Busan?"

"Seoul wasn't really doing it for me, the competition for computer related careers is too great over there. Busan is a beautiful city, even the air here is fresher"

"But you must have studied in Seoul beforehand right?"

He nodded.

"At the University of Seoul. But anyway, how about you? Where do you plan to go after you graduate from high school?"

"I want to study overseas and become an English teacher, but appa and umma both want me to stay in Busan and attend a university here..."

He chuckled.

"Although Lee sunbaenim is strict, he still cares an awful lot about his daughter"

I just smiled and shrugged.

"But remember, don't be afraid to do what you must because things that are really worth coming back for will wait for you"


 

***



I yawned and fumbled with my keys until I managed to insert it into the lock.

With one twist to the left the door unlatched itself.

I smiled.

That’s how HyukJae unlocks his door.

The door flew open and my mother stood there, staring at me curiously.

“Why are you smiling to yourself?”

I shook my head and realized she was speaking to me.

“A-Ah…it’s nothing”

She took my pillow that was wedged under my arm.

“You must have had a good time at Hanyeon’s house then?”

I nodded.

“We played with her new puppy” I lied.

“Oh it must have been cute, did her parents say anything about us?”

I shot her a confused look.

“As in you and appa?”

“Yeah, you know, about your appa’s business and their investments?”

I shrugged.

“They didn’t say anything in particular, her appa just asked me about how business is and the other normal stuff”

She followed me into my room and placed my pillow onto my bed.

“Did appa tell you to come ask me about this?” I asked, emptying out my backpack onto the floor.

“Well…yes”

I sighed and gathered my used pajamas into my arms.

“B-but I also have some interest in this topic too, really!” she added quickly.

“He’s at the store right?”

She shook her head.

“He’s in the study”

I frowned.

“What is he doing home? The store is open today isn’t it? HyukJae told me he had work today”

“Maybe he had something important to do and he trusts HyukJae enough to leave him in charge at the store”

I scoffed.

“When has appa ever given his trust to someone so easily?”

“Shhh! Keep your voice down, he might hear you…”

So HyukJae lied?


 

***



I walked into the kitchen with an empty stomach. After leaving HyukJae’s house I hadn’t had a chance to eat.

“Umma I'm hungry…” I nagged, slumping into the dining chair.

“Alright alright, lunch is nearly ready. I’ll go get your appa”

As soon as she finished her sentence my father stepped into the room.

He had a smile on his face.

A FREAKING SMILE.

“Appa, you look different today” I said, greeting him.

He my hair and sat at the head of the table.

“Do I really? It must be the weather”

I looked outside at the sky layered with heavy grey clouds.

“Don’t lie to me appa. Come on, tell me, what’s put you in a good mood today? A miracle?”

He chuckled, and for once it wasn’t ice coated.

“It’s more than a miracle”

My mother placed three bowls of bibimbap onto the table.

“Well come on yeobo, share your happiness with us” she chimed.

He picked up his chopsticks and clinked them together.

“HyukJae has a girlfriend”


A/N: Tsk tsk Hyuk, we were beginning to think you were a good boy but now here you are lying and having secret girlfriends EH?! Anyway another cliffhanger, I'm killing you guys aren't I? Hohoho~ anyway I was contemplating whether to classify this as a novel or short story because I really didn't think it would surpass 10 chapters. However, I'm thinking of more and more things I want to happen in this story so I guess this has a long way to go still ^^ hoping for more readers as I go too! Oh, and I hope you enjoyed the little holding hands moment ^^ I had a good time describing HyukJae's hands lol. Yes I admit, I am a loser. OMG AND HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN FIX'S PLEASE DON'T SAY MV?! HOLY SHISUS. HyukJae looks SO BEAUTIFUL. SO GORGEOUS <3 when watching it, I couldn't help but think about this fanfic...I swear that MV was made to be the trailer to I'll Be Waiting LOL. So not only does I'll Be Waiting have an OST, it also has a movie trailer WOO.

 

"Jump little sprout, jump!"