Strawberry Boy

I'll Be Waiting

Chapter Five

 

"Umma, why are these eggs so burnt?" I complained, cutting off the charcoal edges of the fried egg.

"Really? The heat from the flame must have been too high, sorry Honey. I'll make some new ones for you" she replied, busy plating up my father's breakfast.

I gulped down the rest of my milk quickly and slung my leopard print backpack over my shoulder.

"Don't worry about it umma, I should be heading off the school now anyway so-"

"Off already?"

My father entered the kitchen with a newspaper under his arm and a cup of cold coffee in the other.

"Good morning appa, did you sleep well?" I greeted, making way for him as he barged past.

He sat down at the dining table and crossed his arms, eyes drilling into me. My mother placed his breakfast in front of him before rushing back into the kitchen to fetch his orange juice.

He flicked his wrist to look at his watch under his sleeve.

"There's still a while to go before your bus arrives, why are you leaving so early?"

I fixed the straps of my backpack uncomfortably.

"I'm going to walk to school today, it's such a nice day outside" I answered, pointing out the window.

He glared at me.

"Do you think I believe that? Are you really? Or, are you planning to meet someone?"

My mother came back from kitchen with the cup of squeezed fruit and gave me worried look.

"A-Appa, what are you trying to say? I really am going to walk to school" I said innocently.

This time, I really wasn't lying.

"Well then, explain to me why Cho songsaenim called me to address your unwillingness to accept his services"

"The way he tutors is not right for me, no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get anything out of it. Even Cho songsaenim advises me to return to my previous tutor"

He let out a cold laugh.

"Previous tutor? And who may that be?"

"Hyu-"

My mother shook her head, subtle enough for me to see without my father realizing.

I clenched onto the hem of my black school skirt.

"Myself, I learnt better independently so I think we should get rid of the tutoring idea totally"

My mother gave me an encouraging nod, I had chosen the right words to please my father.

"Appa, I am sorry for suggesting the idea in the first place. I should have realized that independency is always best, like appa has told me many times. So now appa can use his hard earned money for better things rather than on his daughter's tutoring"

My father nodded and picked up his fork to begin eating his breakfast.

My mother and I both let out sighs of relief. My father's interrogation had finally come to an end.

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Yeoboseyo HyukJae?"

"Oh hey little distraction"

I pressed the large silver button at the crossing and waited for the cars to stop.

"You are hilarious...first it was little fangirl, now it's little distraction?!"

"What? I think it sounds cute!"

"Psht...whatever you-you...big distraction!"

I dropped my backpack onto the green bench at the bus stop that was across the road from the school.

"Well your big distraction here has something very distracting to tell you...Hottracks in town is going have the country's first hundred copies of Super Junior's Mr. Simple album"

I scoffed.

"And...? I'm going to pre-order online today anyway, appa delayed it for a long time already"

"First a hundred AUTOGRAPHED"

I gasped.

"HOLY SHISUS. We gotta go, gotta"

"We? Lee sunbaenim will kill me"

"Don't worry, I've become good at making appa's interrogations backfire. He accused me of wanting to meet up with someone before school this morning"

"What?! Who?!"

"Stop overreacting you idiot oppa. He was referring to you"

"O-Oh yeah right, of course it was me...anyway, those a hundred albums will be sold tonight"

"Tonight?"

"Yeah the store will open midnight, but what will you tell Lee sunbaenim?"

"I'll tell him I'm staying over at Hanyeon's house"

"Who's she?"

"A girl who my appa wants me to be best friends with, just because she has wealthy parents"

"Will she play along?"

"I'll bribe her somehow, leave it to me"

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

“Who are you? We don't do donations” the rude voice screeched through the intercom.

“I-I’m looking for Hanyeon” I stuttered, gaping at the tall white gate guarding the large estate beyond.

“Classmate?”

“Yes”

I clutched the plastic bag tighter in my hands, this better work.

“What do you want?”

“Hanyeon? Is that you?”

“Well duh. Hurry up, what are you doing here?”

“Ah okay…well I want you to help me with something. If my appa calls, can you tell him that I’m really staying over at your house?”

She scoffed pathetically.

“You sneaking out?”

“Well umma knows…but appa doesn’t”

“Then, what am I going to get out of this?”

“I bought strawberry pudding?” 

“Deal”

The gates of heaven pulled open but I was still hesitant to step inside.

The intercom sounded again.

“Well come on, you’re wasting your time just standing there”

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"HyukJae!"

He waved me over to his position in the line.

"Pretty good spot hey?"

I looked up and down the queue, "Where's the cut-off point?"

HyukJae peered over everyone's heads and shrugged, "I think we're in the first hundred...I rushed here straight from work, and luckily the store 
isn't far from here"

"Well I'm sorry I took so long, Hanyeon's umma was a real handful..." I sighed.

He smiled.

"It's alright, so I guess Hanyeon is playing along now right?"

I nodded.

"Strawberry pudding always gets her"

His mouth dropped open and held out his open hand.

"Where's mine?!"

I chuckled.

"I never knew you liked such things!"

He drew both hands out of his pockets and used them as counters.

"Now first, I love strawberry milk more than anything. Then there's strawberry pudding, strawberry cake, strawberry chocolate, strawberry frappé..."

I held up my invisible white flag in surrender.

"Okay okay! I get it strawberry boy, I'll buy you some next time"

He grinned proudly.

Suddenly someone shoved me hard in the back with what felt like a bulky purse.

I turned quickly to find two teen fangirls, chewing gum and looking at me disgustedly from head to toe. Both of them wore heavy makeup and had 
gone overboard with the mascara and eyeliner. The shorter girl wore a loose creme blouse and tight denims accompanied with red hot heels 
that seemed oversized on her small feet. Over her shoulder was the weapon she had prodded me with; a red leather purse. The other wore a grey patchwork beanie and thick black frames that slid down her nose bridge every few seconds. She wore a long lime hooded jersey with black opaque leggings and faded blue Converse high cuts.

"Yah ahjumma, no pushing in line!" they scolded in unison.

My jaw dropped at their mention of 'ahjumma'.

"Ahgasshi, where are your manners? I am your unnie" I bit back, emphasizing the last word.

They scoffed.

"Fine then unnie" the shorter repeated sarcastically.

"Leave, and let oppa stay with us" she demanded, before smirking at HyukJae.

I looked at HyukJae who seemed absolutely terrified by the idea.

"Why should I leave? He saved a spot for me, didn't you HyukJae?"

He nodded.

"But that's not fair! What if we miss out on an album because of you two?!" screeched the taller.

"Ahgasshi, don't worry. I'm not here for an album, I just came to save her a spot and accompany her"

I shot him a confused look.

"I thought you were getting one too, don't give it up because of me..." I said under my breath.

The two feisty fangirls scoffed again.

"What kind of guy would have the patience to wait in line for a girl and accompany her for six hours straight?!"

I had almost had enough of these two.

"That's enough! He's just being a good fri-"

"Boyfriend"

The three of us stared at him, "Mwo?!"

"HyukJae!" I hissed.

"You're both still young, once you find a guy that really likes you, you'll see" he continued.

The girls looked at each other guiltily.

"Oppa, we're sorry for being like that towards you and your girlfriend...if both of you are getting one album between yourselves then please stay"

HyukJae smiled and pat their heads in turn, accepting their apology.

I tugged his sleeve, "You really didn't have to..."

He shrugged, "It was the only way I could keep this spot for you"

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

I adjusted my little squatting position against the brick wall of the cafe that was next to the Hottracks store.

I yawned and kept my eyes shut.

"HyukJae...how much longer?"

He crouched down next to me.

"There's less than ten minutes, hang in there" he said, shaking my arm to keep me awake.

I pried open my eyes and rubbed the sleep out of them.

"Oh the things we do for the people we love..." I chuckled.

"W-What did you say you did for me...?" he stuttered.

I frowned at him.

"I'm talking about Super Junior, idiot oppa. When did I ever say it was you?"

He shot up and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Now help me up, this line is gonna start moving soon" I yawned again, holding up my arm.

He took hold of my hand and pulled me up to my feet.

"So you don't have work tomorrow right?"

He shook his head.

"Nope, I do. Lee sunbaenim wants me to work weekends as well now"

"You'll be too tired out!"

"It's okay, at least I know he thinks I'm capable enough now"

I peered over HyukJae's shoulder and stared at the approaching traffic.

I pointed at a silver Mercedes that had stopped at the traffic lights.

"HyukJae, look! That car looks exactly like my appa's, don't you think?"

He turned and followed my finger, "04-0611...THAT IS YOUR APPA'S CAR!"

The traffic lights flashed green and my father sped in our direction, making a sharp turn at the curb.

"Appa can't see me here! I'm supposed to be at Hanyeon's house! What are we gonna-"

HyukJae pulled me into his arms and held my head against his chest.

I could feel his heartbeat pounding against my cheek, its pace growing faster, and for once there was no space between his body and mine.

"HyukJae..."

 

 

 

A/N: Oh gosh guys sorry, computer problems >_< had to get it re-installed etc. you know the story. GAH. The whole time I was hoping for some handsome HyukJae to come fix my computer, well yeah...I can dream can't I?! Anyway I don't know how happy I actually am with this chapter because I wrote it over a couple of days with gaps in between so I dunno...please comment and tell me what you think ^^ I reckon the ending to this chapter was pretty cute though huh? That's the only thing I honestly am happy with.

@purplekpop: Ahaha~ babo appa he is. Kekeke~ *runs to find another Hyuk gif* GAH YES THE DUB. RAGE. Donghae's dub is alright, it actually suits him~ but Siwon's one is like OMG MY EARS. Oh pretty please...we really need helpu!

@ShinBi34: Kekeke~ I have a whole collection of gifs so yeah. I'm glad everyone enjoys them! 

 

"Sighs...so pretty he is..."