"Yeah, she's beautiful..."

I'll Be Waiting

Chapter Seven

 

"Mwo?! HyukJae has a girlfriend?!" my mother screeched.

"Yes, I saw her with my own eyes" my father answered proudly.

"B-But my future son in law..." she sobbed quietly.

"WHAT?!" he boomed.

"A-Appa, don't listen to umma...she's talking about someone else" I added quickly.

My mother took hold of my arm and led my out into the hallway.

"Yeobo, I have some female related issues to discuss with our daughter. Please eat well" she said to my father before closing the door to the kitchen.

My mother looked helplessly into my eyes.

"Honey, why didn't you keep an eye on HyukJae?! Now he's been swept away by another girl...right under your nose"

I crossed my arms and turned away from her.

"So what? I don't care if that idiot has a girlfriend, it's none of my business. Appa warned me to stay away from him, and from now on I will"

"But honey, you two are friends at the least. You can't just not care at all"

I scoffed.

"Friends? Friends don't lie to each other"

"What's this? Lying?"

I turned back to face her.

"Umma, HyukJae told me he had work today okay? Obviously he doesn't since appa is home. Don't you understand? He's probably off doing who knows what with his girlfriend as we speak"

"Oh this daughter! How can you be so sure? Like I said, your appa probably trusts-"

"Just shut up about this stupid thing called 'trust'! It doesn't exist, especially not with that HyukJae around"

"Honey, why are you so worked up all of a sudden? Well yes okay, I admit we can't do anything to fix this right now, so let's just leave it...alright?"

I sighed.

"I'm sorry umma...sorry I yelled at you. It's just that I didn't expect him to do such a thing..."

She put her hand on my shoulder.

"Well neither of us expected such from HyukJae, right?"

I looked down at my trembling hand and clenched it together.

So last night really meant nothing, right HyukJae?

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Appa...why do I have to go to the store with you? I already typed up the invoices for this month" I complained as my father dragged me down the driveway.

"Oh then just consider it spending some quality time with your appa, alright? I'll find some odd jobs for you to do" he said, closing the door and starting up the car.

"So...HyukJae's little girlfriend huh? What's she like?" I asked, pulling the seatbelt across my body and securing it on the other side.

"Oh she's not all that tall to be honest, only up to HyukJae's shoulder. She's probably a filial child too"

I scoffed.

I'm up to HyukJae's shoulder, and I consider myself a filial child too. Well usually anyway.

"Filial child? What makes you so sure? Did you even speak to her?"

"W-Well no...but her hair was naturally colored, you know? No strange pinks or purples"

I laughed coldly.

"So that makes her filial now does it? Does that mean HyukJae is a rebellious child then? His blondeness isn't quite 'natural' is it?"

His stupid blonde head. Like a stack of hay I'd say.

My father opened his mouth to retaliate, but he had nothing.

"Why didn't you speak to her? Or was her beauty too overwhelming for you?" I said sarcastically.

"Well actually, she was a bit out of range to talk to..."

"What?! You were watching them?! From a far?!"

"Hey hey, don't make me sound like a criminal here! I just happened to drive past and they were together"

I sighed.

"Oh I give up..."

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"Okay I know what I want you to do now, clean the office, the reception-"

"And sweep up the wire scraps ready for the collectors tomorrow, right? Appa, I've done this more than enough times to know what I'm doing"

I followed my father through the back door and into the lit workshop.

"You left the lights on again, appa. The power bill is gonna be sky high this month and you're-"

"Lee sunbaenim, welcome back!"

I peered over my father's shoulder and saw the stupid blonde head, focused on the inner hard drive of the crashed system.

“Idiot oppa…” I cursed under my breath.

My father disappeared into his office and dropped the blinds down.

“Hey little fan girl, what brings you here? You should stay home and rest, last night must have been tiring for you” he smiled, looking up from his work.

I faked a laugh.

“What brings you here, shouldn’t you be with your girlfriend? The store is closed today anyway”

He raised his eyebrow.

“Girlfriend…? And what do you mean the store is closed? It’s open. Lee sunbaenim left me in charge of the store because he said he had some records to finish at home. He really trusts me now huh?”

“Oh don’t act all innocent in front of me you-“

“And I told you last night I had work today, I would never lie to you”

I parted my lips to speak but no words could escape my lips.

“Hey kid, so tell me about that girl of yours!” my father exclaimed stepping out of his office.

HyukJae shot me a confused look.

“What girl…?” he mouthed.

I just shrugged and looked down at the floor dotted with copper nibs.

“Oh stop pretending HyukJae, I saw you with her the other day” my father continued, leaning against the work bench.

“Ah...really? Where did you see uh…us?” HyukJae answered completely clueless, still not wanting to prove his sunbaenim wrong.

“Outside Hottracks”

“Hottracks…which Hottracks?”

“Oh you know, the one just down the road from here. What were you two queuing for anyway? There were so many young girls in the line”

HOLY MOTHER OF SHISUS.

“And you two looked quite cute, with you hugging her and all” he added with a cheesy smile.

HyukJae and I looked at each other simultaneously.

“Lee sunbaenim, it’s not what you think re-“

“O-oh yes, appa! They must have looked quite the pair, um...didn’t you want me to clean your office for you? Let’s go do it now” I blurted out quickly 
before dragging my father back towards his office.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"Appa, oh look how dusty this table is! Let's give it another wipe shall we?"

"But we already wiped it once, it looks spotless already. Let's go and talk to HyukJae about his girlfriend!" he said excitedly.

I pulled him back from the exit.

"No wait let's uh...sort these files again, oh you know how clumsy I am. I probably messed the order up, babo me"

"It's alright, that can wait. And like you said, you've done this more than enough times to know what you're doing, so stop doubting yourself"

My eyes darted around the room, trying desperately to come up with something that needs tidying.

"T-then let's vaccuum the floor a bit!"

He scoffed.

"What's wrong with you?! The floor isn't carpet, it's wood. Now let's go talk to HyukJae"

I sighed in defeat and dragged myself out of the office after him.

***

"HyukJae my boy, you should bring your girlfriend here to the store someday and show her around!"

HyukJae laughed awkwardly and tried to focus back on his work.

"Oh yes, wouldn't she just love to come and see all this scrap metal and wiring..." I muttered.

"Yah you, stop being a jealous little rice cake! Your oppa here has a girlfriend now, and I'm sure she's beautiful"

HyukJae chuckled softly and looked up at me with a shy smile on his lips.

"Yeah, she is beautiful..."

My cheeks flamed again and my heart began to beat faster, the pounding sensation reaching my temples.

"Oh yes HyukJae, I have something serious to address to you now. Our store has been chosen to represent Busan at the National Computing Conference in Seoul next week. Would you like to attend it with me next week?"

HyukJae looked up from his work and dropped his tools onto the surface.

"Really Lee sunbaenim? You are really giving me an opportunity to go with you?"

My father nodded.

"Although I've been strict on your procedures and technique, I really do think you have great potential"

HyukJae beamed and bowed several times.

"Thank you for your encouragement, sunbaenim! I will work harder from now on!"

"Oh and your attire, what you're wearing at the moment won't do. You'll need something formal"

HyukJae was wearing a simple grey sweater that brought out his built arms, and his white fitting jeans bounded his contoured legs.

"Well, I think my girlfriend will be able to help me pick out something" he answered, glancing over at me.

I smiled at his cute attempt to request my help through his 'girlfriend'.
I nodded.

"Yeah, I think your girlfriend may just have some time to help you out once you finish work..."

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"Ten floors in four hours. Really?" HyukJae said, looking at me skeptically.

"Easy" I replied simply.

The sun was beginning to set and HyukJae and I had just arrived at Busan's largest shopping centre.

It was a thousand meter giant that overshadowed the other low lying buildings in the city. Each floor was separated by a multicolored strip of light that changed every few seconds, bringing the tower to life. The long stretches of glass revealed the interior of the bustling stores and keen customers entering and exiting changing rooms.

"Plus, you were the one who invited your 'girlfriend' to come shopping with you"

He chuckled.

"So what lie did you tell your appa this time? I'm guessing something along the lines of 'Hanyeon'...?"

I shook my head.

"There was no need to lie"

"Nothing? Yet he still let you come with me?"

"Well I didn't exactly say what we were doing, but yes, he let me"

"Lee sunbaenim really is strange..."

"That's how he is, since you have a girlfriend now he knows for sure I don't stand a chance"

HyukJae smiled down at the ground and slipped his hands into his back pockets.

"Well, did you ever want there to be a chance...?"

"I-Idiot oppa! Stop saying ridiculous things, let's just go in already"

I turned and passed through the automated doors, heart beating faster once again.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"Welcome to Park & Choi, formal attire for simple men" bowed the middle aged shop assistant.

We nodded and began browsing the long racks of clothing.

The outer suit jackets were either black or white, but the business shirts came in a wide range of shades.

"Excuse me valued customer, today we have have a special offer that you can take advantage of right away. If you purchase two products from our newest range, we will happily gift you any tie of your choice"

"Oh really? Please show me your newest range"

The sales assistant nodded and led me to the promotional display in the centre of the store.

"Please take your time, and if there is anything your boyfriend over there wants to try on please call me over"

My eyes widened.

"A-Are you talking about him?" I asked, pointing at HyukJae, browsing the rack behind us.

She nodded.

"A handsome man like him deserves to wear clothes of the highest quality, so please choose well"

"Hey but he's not my-"

But before I could finish explaining she had already left for another customer.

HyukJae came to stand next to me.

"That’s not a first huh?"

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

"Does the size fit? I think you should get a larger size" I called to HyukJae who was currently in the changing room.

"Young lady, through my experience men with firm and toned bodies like his should purchase smaller sizes" the shop assistant advised.

I shook my head.

"Oh it's not that, I just don't want him to feel uncomfortable when it's too tight"

She smirked and nudged me, stripped of her formal service persona.

"Oh don't be so selfish my dear, we shop assistants don't ever come across men like him. So spare us some eye candy would you?"

I faked a laugh and turned to see three younger staff giggling shyly at the counter.

"I think this is a little tight..." HyukJae concluded from the opposite side of the curtain.

"Really? Well I'll go get a slightly bigger si-"

"Oh it should be alright young man, why don't you come out and let us see" she cut in, excitement evident in her voice.

HyukJae pulled open the navy curtain.

HOLY SHISUS.

My mouth gaped open at the sight in front of us.

He wore a grey on black pinstripe panel shirt smartly tucked into his charcoal wool blend dress pants. A thin black tie draped from his collar down his chest, and matching faux suede oxfords finished at his feet.

Who would have guessed someone could look so sharp yet simple.

HyukJae looked slightly discouraged by our stares.

"I-It's too tight isn't it...?" he questioned nervously.

"You look really handsome, really!" the shop assistant exclaimed, stepping forward to adjust his appearance a little.

HyukJae chuckled.

"That's just what you're paid to say"

She straightened his collar and ran her hand down his upper arm, the two almost standing chest to chest.

HyukJae glanced helplessly at me.

I tapped the shop assistant on the shoulder.

"Uh excuse me...we'll take it, the whole set" I said.

She stepped away from HyukJae and grinned widely.

"Of course, please follow me this way" she said, leading the way to the till.

"HyukJae, get changed" I ushered.

"But do you really think I look that great? I probably-"

"You look handsome HyukJae, really. I'm not even paid to say these things, right?"


A/N: PAHAHA I JUST KIDDING GUYS. HyukJae doesn't actually have a girlfriend ^^ silly appa just fell for their cover at Hottracks the other night. So no jealous rages needed hohoho~ and the erted shop assistant ladies...eugh. OMG HYUKJAE YOU. DID YOU JUST CALL HER BEAUTIUFUL?!

 

 

"Am I innocent...?"