“You are important…”

I'll Be Waiting

 

Chapter Ten

 

Oh please, oh please…let him be okay…

I sprinted past the flickering lamp before nearing the alleyway to HyukJae’s apartment.

A painful shock was sent up my right leg as I stomped on the rusting manhole. It rattled endlessly against the rough pavement, decibels lessening by the second.

I continued to run.

The sound of stones scattering into the surrounding brick walls was familiar to me, but not when they clashed head on with the mesh gate at the very end of the alleyway.

The feeling of the cool night air was familiar on my skin, but not when it sliced through my thin chiffon blouse.

The smell of mould moistened by late afternoon rainfall was familiar to my senses, but it was nothing compared to the acrid smell of fear.

The sight of nothingness had taught my pupils it was useless to attempt to focus, but currently darkness was the least of my fears.

But I continued to run.

Why?

Because he needed me.

***

Hang in there HyukJae…

Negligent of the handrail I scrambled up the steel steps, each stride sending audible vibrations through the ancient stairwell.

The muscles in my throat began to contract as the icy air deemed too much for them, but my heart raced and forced my legs to carry on no matter how much they strained.

After one final lunge onto the last landing my body felt like it had been released from a high pressure torture chamber.

My fingers wrapped themselves around the unpolished door knob and I leant forward to shove the entrance open.

I breathed in and cupped both hands around my mouth, not even daring to exhale.

Under the single light bulb in HyukJae’s apartment, I saw everything.

His fragile body was sprawled on the blood stained couch and a loose bandage hung loosely around his waist.

I stared at his chest as I remained stiffly in the doorway.

Motionless.

I took one cautious step towards him, holding my breath.

Breathe, HyukJae. Breathe!

Soon I began to regret my past ignorance towards simple first aid procedures.

Again I stepped warily towards what seemed like the lifeless corpse of a broken angel.

Arriving at his side, I dared my hands to touch him. They rejected my command at first, but after some hesitant hovering and trembling my fingertips rested silently on his chest.

His lungs were wheezing subtly.

I knelt on the floor beside him and observed his battered body.

His abdomen was a bloody canvas smeared crimson red and violet bruises swelled on his chest. Streaks of thin gashes crosshatched his left cheek and a deep wound cut into his right eyebrow. One of his arms lay limp, hanging off the side of the couch, its veins swelling noticeably as they tried desperately to circulate any blood he had left. His frail hands were almost lifeless, if not for the weak pulse in his wrist.

My fingers reached for his pale hands, and as soon as he felt my touch his white fingers flinched.

Clutching his hands I didn’t dare to move as I watched his eyelids flutter slowly open. It was as if they would clasp shut any second, taking his last breath with them.

Having his eyes half open was all he could manage, it was because the blood that trickled from his right eyebrow had crusted at the edges.

A faint smile formed on his lips, though it was painful for him to do so.

“Hey you…” he whispered weakly.

I tried to smile back, but it hurt more than anything.

It hurt because it was my fault.

Brushing his blonde fringe out of his eyes revealed tiny beads of cold sweat, dotting his forehead.

“Let’s get you fixed up”

I helped him into a sitting position, propped his left arm up onto the back of the couch, and let him rest his legs on the coffee table.

I sat down next to him, feeling the springs within the couch contract, and observed the bloody mess on his abdomen draped in stained cotton dressing.

My fingers tugged loose the rest of the bandage, careful to avoid brushing against his open wound.

“Where’s the rest of the dressing?” I asked, dropping the used piece onto the floor.

HyukJae inhaled with trouble before answering.

“There is none, I just...I just tore an old cloth from the kitchen”

I bit my lip, his injury couldn’t go on like this.

I stood up and pulled my coffee chiffon blouse over my head. Putting in all my strength I tore it apart, but…

TEAR OPEN YOU STUPID THING.

My cheeks flushed faster than the fibers could snap.

HyukJae let out a small chuckle.

I turned and glared at him with sharp eyes.

“Hey! This is harder than it looks, okay?!”

He signaled the blouse into his hand.

“You can’t, your arm is injured”

“It’s fine! I pull, you pull”

I placed one end of the fabric into his hands, but quickly he tugged it out of mine.

“I wasn’t even ready!” I whined.

HyukJae shook his head.

“I don’t want you to do this, I’m fine”

I frowned at him, “But your injury, it’s-“

“It’s nothing. Look, it’s not even bleeding anymore” he pointed.

I sighed and fell back onto the couch.

“Then at least let me take you to the hospital”

“I can’t, this sort of injury can’t be taken into the emergency room”

“Why not? Injuries are injuries, no exceptions”

“This wasn’t anything accidental, you know that, and if this gets out they’ll be on my tail again”

I knew it…

He angled his head away from me.

“HyukJae, I’m sorry…”

“Don’t say things like that” he murmured.

“But it’s-“

“Shhh…”

 

***

 

"I told you already, there's no need to get me checked up. It's just a few cuts and bruises here and there" he insisted, as I adjusted his limp arm around my shoulder.

Although he didn't have any sort of disinfectant lying around at his apartment, I had managed to do a clean job clearing up his facial injuries with improvised toilet paper and warm water. Only faint gashes were lightly evident on his forehead and cheek.

Before leaving his apartment I had also helped him throw on a black hooded jacket that attempted to hide his unpleasant wounds. In return, HyukJae couldn't stand seeing me shivering in my thin blouse so he 
urged me into one of his grey knits.

"Oh please HyukJae, I know how men are with their pride but now's not the time. You need to be seen" I replied sternly, hauling him into the emergency room foyer.

He chuckled.

"You're cute when you're overly serious"

I rolled my eyes at him.

"You've just been beaten by some vicious mob, yet you still have the nerve to joke?"

He just smiled and shrugged.

"Oh come on, idiot oppa!" I exclaimed, tugging him by the arm.

I settled HyukJae onto one of the waiting room seats before reporting to the reception.

The emergency wing of the hospital was quiet, but of course, there weren't many idiots who got into brawls in the late hours anyway.

 

The walls were pale green and white doors were carved into them. There was also a strong smell of medical disinfectants and rubber gloves lingering in the air.

"Excuse me, when is the next available doctor? My friend here needs to be seen immediately" I said, referring to HyukJae.

The young nurse glanced over my shoulder at him before clicking a bit with her mouse.

"Please have a seat, Doctor Kim will be with you shortly. Also you'll need to fill in this patient's form too" she replied, handing me a clipboard and pen.

I nodded and thanked her before returning to HyukJae.

"You hanging in there okay?" I inquired, sitting down next to him.

He nodded subtly and rested his eyes, but I noticed he had grown quiet.

Too quiet.

I followed his arm down to where his hand clutched his abdomen.

I frowned and placed the clipboard on my lap. I pulled the hem of his black jacket upwards.

A thick crimson substance was slowly seeping through the makeshift cloth dressing. His wound had begun bleeding again.

It was draining him.

I touched his pale face and then moved down to his hands. Both were sub-zero.

My eyes darted to and from every door surrounding the waiting room, desperately hoping for Doctor Kim.

"Excuse me" I called to the nurse behind the counter.

She looked up from her paperwork.

"His wound is bleeding rapidly, and he can't take this any longer. We need a doctor, now!" I demanded.

"Of course but-"

HyukJae's body let loose and collapsed into my lap.

"Quick!" I screamed.

She hesitated before disappearing down the left corridor.

I shook his shoulder roughly, but I knew his consciousness was slipping through my fingers by the second.

Damn it, HyukJae!  Why do you always worry me like this?

 

***

“Please, no, you can’t go inside!” the nurse begged, trying to block the entrance into the surgery.

I strained my neck over her shoulder just to catch a glimpse of HyukJae unconscious on the operating table.

“I know it’s hard, but please know that your friend is in good hands. He’s only suffering from minor blood loss so you have nothing to fear” she reassured.

I began to retreat back to my seat, eyes fixed on the closed surgery door.

“Is there anything I can get you? I think a warm drink would be nice, wouldn’t it?” she cooed after settling me down.

I nodded, “Strawberry milk please”

From the corner of my eye I caught her strange look, but she nodded and headed towards the cafeteria anyway.

With my head low, I rolled one of the grey fibres of HyukJae's knit between my forefinger and thumb. After being content with that, I moved onto a loose thread on the right sleeve. I tugged at it mindlessly.

Suddenly the entrance to the surgery slid open. A middle aged man in a long white coat appeared. He was tall and slender, shoulders broad but limbs slim.

He pushed his glasses up the ridge of his nose before clearing his throat.

"Hello, I'm Doctor Kim. You must be HyukJae's company?"

I quickly shot up from my seat and bowed several times.

"Yes doctor, I am. Please tell me how he's doing, he's not in a serious condition right?"

He slipped his hands into the two side pockets of his coat and exhaled slowly.

"Please know that the surgery was successful. HyukJae's abdomen has undergone stitching, several stitches in fact. It was a hard wound to close up because the injury tore right through the flesh"

I let out a long upheld sigh of relief. He was okay.

"But what I'm really curious about is how he acquired such an injury from falling down a flight of steps. I mean I would think the abdominal area would be the least likely place-"

"Oh ah...yes! I am just as surprised as you are, doctor. But if you consider the fact that the steps were metal then..."

My voice began to trail as I sensed my lie was becoming exceedingly unbelievable.

Doctor Kim hummed.

"You're right, that's a fairly reasonable argument. I'm guessing he fell forwards then? That would explain it"

"Uh...exactly! That's what happened, yes"

Doctor Kim smiled and took his hands out of his pockets, bringing them together behind his back.

"Well I think you'll be able to see HyukJae now, the nurses have taken him to recovery. But be careful, we're still pumping blood into him. He's suffered from severe blood loss" he advised.

I nodded, "Thank you, doctor. Thank you for saving him"

He smiled modestly and with a three- farewell he started down the corridor.

But a few strides later, he halted and turned to look at me over his shoulder.

"But do make sure he stops getting into fights, dear"

My mouth gaped open.

How did- but I- WHAT?!



***

 

He looked so fragile. It was as though he was a jewel, a jewel that would shatter by a single touch.

From the viewing window, my breath fogging the glass every time I exhaled, I watched two nurses bustle about HyukJae's resting body. The most familiar girl hung a crimson pack of blood onto the side stand 
while the other attached a plastic peg onto his right index finger. It was to help monitor his weakened heart rate.

After preparing HyukJae's room the two nurses approached the door. I stood back to let them through.

"Hello again" greeted the nurse that had looked after me earlier.

I thanked and bowed to her and then her assistant.

"Your friend is still unconscious from the surgery, but he should wake within the hour" she informed.

"Thank you again, you have been of great help to both HyukJae and I" I said gratefully.

"We'll be back to check on him in the morning, but if you need us anytime beforehand please find us at the reception"

"Of course, you must have other things to attend to now so I won't hold you two up any longer"

She smiled and both bid me goodnight before disappearing around the corner.

I turned back and pushed the handle down into HyukJae's recovery.

As soon as the door was released, my ears were met with the repeating tone from the heart rate monitor. But at that moment, all I wanted to hear was life breathing in this broken angel.

I stood at the side of his bed and lent forwards, my cheek flat against his chest. A faint beat began pulsating against my skin. It was weak but rhythmic, and that was enough.

I pulled a chair up close to the bed and sat quietly at his side. My eyes never left his peaceful face.

His blonde fringe was brushed to the side, revealing his milky white forehead, and his eyes remained closed where his dark eyelashes lay flat. His lips were pale and thin, and dehydration was slowly taking 
its effect.

Suddenly timed vibrations were felt in my back pocket.

I stood up and pulled out my cellphone; Home calling...

I took one more glance at HyukJae before heading towards the sliding glass door. It was directly opposite the main entrance to the recovery.

Stepping out onto the miniature balcony I answered the call.

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Honey! Where have you been?! Your father and I have been worried sick, you should have said something before you bolted out the house like that!"

"I'm sorry Mom...but it's just that HyukJae's had an accident"

"What?! Accident?! Don't tell me he's been involved in a collision, oh God forbid!"

"No, it's nothing like that. He just-"

I couldn't go on; I couldn't lie to my mother about something as serious as this.

"Mom listen, he was-"

"Hm?"

I looked through the glass at HyukJae's frail mass. But knowing him...

"He just fell down a couple of steps. It's nothing serious but I'm going to stay overnight with him at the hospital, alright?"

"Well of course, we understand. But you two keep warm there, okay? Keep us updated on HyukJae too, that poor child"

"Yes Mom, I will. Sleep well"



***

 

Little swirls and spots began to appear on the pale green walls of the recovery. I was falling in and out of sleep, but I had promised myself that I would stick it out until HyukJae awoke.

Suddenly the duvet rustled.

My eyelids stopped teasing and retreated quickly. I stared intently at him gain consciousness; his eyes were making jagged movements in every direction and his eyebrows furrowed.

I was on the edge of my seat and my fists clenched metal railing on the edge of the bed.

He was hesitant to begin with, but with a few flutters of his eyelids they gradually pried themselves open. He blinked several times to adjust his pupils to the white light of the room.

“HyukJae…”

He smiled.

“I didn’t think I’d ever see you again…” he said softly.

I chuckled, “You say it as though I’m something important”.

He adjusted his position of his pillow and rested his eyes. I felt his cold hand slip from under the covers to hold mine.

“You are important…”

 

A/N: Last time I took forever, this time I MUCH LONGER than forever >_< to be precise a month and 6 days...BUT OH MY GAD. HyukJae was pretty hard hit...STUPID LAND LORD. I'M OUT TO GET YO . Anyway~ hopefully they'll be delt with soon. And that Doctor Kim's on smart kid isn't he? Sorry for the cheesy ending, but I think we needed something like that to sweeten this chapter up...too much OMG HE'S DYING. OMG NO. OMG OMG OMG. Kkk~ anyway I'd like to inform you all that I applied for a fanfic review, you can see it under 'Foreword' ^^ I was pleased with it actually, but I am trying my best to comply to whatever the reviewer told me to fix. I hope everyone can give me constructive criticism like that every once in a while too ^^! Please continue to support~

@ShinBi34: AHAHA HYUKJAE GOT ATTACKED BY NAPPEUN NAMJA DEUL. Did you get scared this time too, unnie? Sorry I took so long to update though...

@purplekpop: WELL THE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE LITTLE CHILD WAS HORRIBLE AGAIN. I told you you'd have to wait a lifetime for this lol.

@SarangHyuk: Yep~ you did end up going to save him, but you were LATE HUHUHU~

@cheryltaeminnie: Errr...yes, something happened >_< I'm sorry it had to happen though! Yep you got it, the landlord!

 

[GIF omitted, will add later when I find some new ones kkk~]