Chapter 1

DUFF
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am Song Jihyo. Lives in a big city with an ordinary life. Both my parents are teachers, teaching high school students. We live in a normal house, just enough for me, the eldest children and my other 2 dongsaengs to live together with my parents. Are we happy? Yeah, you could say that. Well, ordinary life. What are you expecting? There are no extraordinary drama happened in my life. I am already in my senior year in college, and I still haven’t got any boyfriend! It’s not that there are no guys around me, but they all never really pay attention to me. Most of the time, they would only talk to me just to ask about my best friends, Park Shin Hye, or Lee Chae Rin, or maybe Hara or.. ahhh I don’t know. They’re all goddess. What am I expecting? Of course people would pay attention to them. But normally, guys didn’t talk to me.

Why, you ask? Well, maybe because I’m a mute in front of guys. I rarely talk when there are guys because I was shy and feeling insecure when I’m around them. I don’t like being around guys because it makes my heart thumping like crazy, even though I have known them for years. I found myself easily fall in love that’s why I’m trying my very best to avoid from having any contacts with guys. If I really need to communicate with guys, I would normally ask for Shin Hye’s help or if the things really need me to talk to the guys, I only say a few words. And, I never look into their eyes’ when I talk to them! Stupid, right? How I am even going to find a guy if I’m acting like this.

But I am totally different when I’m with my best friends. My gang is consist by Shin Hye(you could say that she’s the leader and the visual in our group), Amber ( she’s quite boyish but she’s actually so soft. Easy to cry when we even prank her just a little XD), Goo Hara (She’s cute and bubbly, a bright personality), Chaerin ( she’s a diva. Everything she wears turns into fashion. For God Sake I wish I am at least 10% as pretty as her!), Hani ( she’s a second diva after Chaerin. She likes boys so much that she always had eyes on them. She even knows each name of the new cute juniors who enters our school), and lastly, Yeeun ( she’s a smartass girl. She’s not interested in boys, just like me but she talks a lot to guys since she’s the biggest prankster in our group. She’s the positive and happy virus in the group). So, how am I different? I am just like Yeeun. A big prankster, always like to make my friends laugh and happy. Always making stupid jokes. Although, there are lots of times when I was just staying still in my own room ( which I share it with Yeeun), but when it’s the time we were together, I will go all out in going crazy with my group ( if my mood is on. If not, yeah, you could see me sitting silently at one corner. LOL).

I am crazier when I am family. I turn to be a complete child although I am the eldest. Why? Because I will only be the main lead in my family. Of course, because I am my parents’ only daughter, and I am the only noona for Mino and Yunhyeong. Of course they would care for me. And besides, before this, I used to not being so close with my family because of my busy schedules with works and assignments. I was one of the top students during my middle school and high school (I am not that clever actually but at the time, my school was lacking of clever students, so maybe that’s why I am always top in the school). I started to change when I’m in my last year in high school. I suddenly missed my family, when I started to feel like I am a DUFF.

What is DUFF? Right. I’m going to explain it by the way. DUFF stands for;

 

D- Designated

U- Ugly

F- Fat

F-Friend

It’s a new word, I guess the teen made the word. I was only searching for some new trends phrase when I suddenly… BAAMM! I found the word. And right at that moment, I realise..

I AM A DUFF!

I AM SOMEBODY’S DUFF!!

Yeah. I have this weird feeling. It’s bad and I know I shouldn’t be this way but I can’t help to hate it. I hate being the DUFF. I started to notice this during my high school. That I am always the SOMEONE’S DUFF.

I HATE THE WORD.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY I HATE BEING ONE!

Okay I probably should stop capslocking the word ‘DUFF’

Oh right~~ I made it again.

Sorry.

 

3 YEARS AGO (POHANG HIGH SCHOOL –SENIOR YEAR)

I walked proudly along the classroom. The classroom went silent when they saw me. I was the head prefect at that time. I was known as a top student, and a strict prefect. And of course the students were scared of me. The teachers were having a meeting so the prefects diligently worked together to control the students. It was hard, since, you know, I am a student in a rural school, and the students mostly obviously, are stupid. They like to make noisy sound that I don’t understand why they had to do that, like seriously duhh. But when they saw me, everything turns okay. (WELL. HAHAHA)

“Wow.. You sure have your power, Jihyo yah” Yejin, one of my friends, which is also a prefect and one of the top students too smiling and nudging my elbow. I smiled to her back and shook my head.

“Aniyaa. They were just scared of prefects.” I said, trying to be polite. As cliché as it sounds, I am only being friend with those who were clever, maybe not as clever as me, but at least, as the same level as me. I never talk to people that are from other class, which means classes that are lower in terms of intelligence. I think that it would affect my study (what a rude girl, right? But I’m changed now J)

We were talking about study when suddenly we bumped into the junior prefects.

“Sunbaenim, annyeonghaseyo.” Kim Myungsoo, Lee Sunggyu and Park Chanyeol bowed to us politely. Yejin happily waved hands to them although they were just standing a few metres away from us and l, being the cold me just nodded my head slightly. We then started to chat together (well mostly they were chatting and I was just listening silently since duh I’m shy with guys!). Just then, the bell rang, signalling that the school for today already ended. We parted to our classes, to pack our bags and leave.

“They’re handsome right? Well, except that nerdy Myungsoo. God why didn’t our batch have this kind of handsome guys!?” Yejin scowled. I watched her and smiled. I was actually thinking the same way too. I actually like Park Chanyeol, but too bad, that boy was 3 years younger than me. It won’t work. I shook my head. God I can’t believe I was just thinking about a hoobae just now!

#

I was waiting for my father to fetch me patiently. Normally he would already arrive but it was already 1 hour. Just then, my phone rang.

“Hello Jihyo yah. Could you go home by yourself? Appa had an urgent meeting and it will be long. Sorry, okay?” And then he hung up on me. I sighed. He didn’t even wait for me to speak. Well it was my fault too, for not being close to my family. I had my head up, looking at the white sky. I don’t even know what am I thinking. I felt lonely, and tired. I am tired of studying every day. I wish I can stop but I can’t. My parents really want me to be a doctor. It was very hard to enrol in medical school but I had to.

“Eo? Jihyo sunbae? Why are you still here? It’s already late.” A sudden voice greeted me making me startled. I almost fell but thank goodness, the tall Chanyeol quickly wrapped his strong arm around my waist, making sure that I won’t fall. I blinked my eyes repeatedly as I couldn’t believe that his face was so close to me! He grinned handsomely. Oh my god why does my heart thumping like crazy!?

“Are you okay, Jihyo sunbae? I’m sorry that I make you surprised.” Sunggyu said as Chanyeol let go off me. Sunggyu rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, maybe he was feeling guilty.

“Yaah! What will happen to sunbae if I didn’t catch her that instant!?” Chanyeol playfully mad at Sunggyu. I swear I could see him stealing a glance at me! OMG!

“It’s not that I do on purpose!” Sunggyu said in a half yelling tone.

“Aniyaa. It’s okay. It’s my clumsiness”. I had my hands at my back, and my eyes were on the ground as I was shy with Chanyeol. I don’t know why I will be shaking when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter