[HaKen] Pretend Engagement

Word Vomit

Hakyeon had always joyfully eyed this specific bakery on his way to work. He would giddily stare at the tall shop windows, his hand slowly reaching for the different pastries at display until it hits the glass.

 

Cakes.

 

All the different colors of icing and fondant would catch his eye. He marvels at every detail the baker would pinch or twist in creating this edible masterpiece. He coos while shaking his head as he examines every cake. Shortcakes, layered cakes, cupcakes, and the list goes on. But there will always be that one cake he would stop by, the massively decorated wedding cake. It must've costed a fortune and effort to achieve such beauty -- maybe even taste.  His mouth waters but his head shakes. Come on now, Hakyeon. Its time to go to work.

 

Hakyeon decided to drag himself away from the visual sugary goodness trapped inside the glass and straight to work  like a kid being pulled away as he pointed and cried loudly at the toy he wanted for kid reasons, but of course, he didn't. He was a 26-year-old man, after all.

 

Stop it this instant, Cha Hakyeon. Your boss will not be pleased with your tardiness. He would ask why you weren't punctual and all you would do is shrug, grin widely and say "I was looking at cakes at this bakery."

 

What a pathetic excuse.

 

Well, not entirely an excuse since it was the truth.

 

Just plain pathetic is all.

 

Simple things do faze him, though. No lie. He's a man of small ideals and shallow happiness, Hakyeon never really asked for something grand. (Maybe his little crush on his boss but he's labeled that as unattainable. Case closed.) As a kid, he was raised by a close-knit, loving family and having  quite an from his siblings only granted him more attention and affection while growing up. His older sister would always bake and Hakyeon would be her self-proclaimed assistant baker.

 

A turn on the next corner and up by 7 floors and this baker  would get there on time. Hakyeon rushed to the elevator, shoving his thumb on that button with all his might.

 

"Sanghyuk?"

 

"Ah, hyung. Lucifer gave us all the day off since we've reached the quota on the first week thanks to your client so I'll be heading on home."

 

Hakyeon was fazed and suddenly he was relieved of the weight of his responsibilities today. Oh what, oh what could he do?

 

Then it hits him.

 

It literally does.

 

He was making his way back when a loud "oomph!"  was made, the source -- on his -- on the ground. He whined, shaking his head as he got up immediately offering his hand out to the other man on their bottom.

 

"I'm so sorry, are you alright?"

 

Hakyeon was dazed, looking up to the prince-like figure before him. His voice gently and his lips plump, his hair brown as the sunlight shone behind his head, his eyes glowing, round and puppy-like . He could barely catch on one train of thought as he observed the man pulling him up when he involuntarily reached out for him.

 

"--my fault."

 

Hakyeon managed a mumble under his breath, exhaling deeply all of prince's features from his thoughts.

 

"I was drastically distracted by the different cakes I didn't notice I was standing in the middle of the street. Are you sure you're okay? Do I have to call 911 or something?"

 

He waved his hand in front of the dazed Hakyeon, making blink in unison.

 

"N-no please don't, that would be terribly humiliating."

 

"I'll make sure to cover your face and keep it from you family, I got you."

 

Both of them chuckled. Their laughters curving a smile on the others' lips.

 

"You were staring at the… Cakes?"

 

Prince blushed. Embarrassed, he looks down to the concrete pavement scratching the back of his cute head and slowly nods in agreement. He was to open his mouth to answer when Hakyeon cuts him off, telling him he finds himself in his shoes more than once a week. Well, maybe not the bouncing on the pavement on his part.

 

"I just really want some cake right now."

 

Prince blurted out in the conversation which Hakyeon made a little too obvious that he caught on,  flashing the other a wide, glistening smile.

 

"Want to get some for free?"

 

"I wouldn't want you treating though--"

 

"Oh no, no."

 

Hakyeon leads the other man to the store entrance.

 

"I've got an idea."

 

It was odd.

 

Meeting a complete stranger and the next moment they're seated on a coffee table together having cake-- but not as acquaintances or new friends.

 

"Hunny bunny! Try this, say aaahh--"

 

The awkwardness spiraled around Prince while Hakyeon fed him pieces of cake, icing abundant around his lips and cheeks. He spoke with his mouth full, trying to deny the continuous servings from the delicate man beside him.

 

"These are the special carrot cake with vanilla frosting, most couples choose this over the classic one but our best seller is really the red velvet."

 

Hakyeon gleefully stuffed his own mouth with the colorful, bite-sized sample cakes glancing at the other man who seemed to be anxious while slicing his purple cake.

 

"T-try this, jagiyaaa" His voice shook.

 

Hakyeon was caught off guard, thinking he was carrying this whole act on his shoulders alone. The waitress seemed to start to catch up on their modus when Prince pulled Hakyeon's chair closer to his to feed him some cake as well.

 

Fluffy, moist and sweet. It was what the waitress' eyes were saying as the two started to get lost in their own world exchanging glances and gestures at each other while giggling nonchalantly.

 

The two got up as all the cake testing was done, only crumbs left on the plates and icing on the corners of their mouths. Hakyeon bowed in gratitude at the waitress as he mentioned to them how they'll try to consider this bakery for the wedding. How the guests would love the taste, he said. He was cut off in his final small talk when his fiance suddenly decided to softly tug on his sleeve yet slowly intertwine his fingers with his and Hakyeon's face burned up.

 

"Let's go, jagiya." He tugged and Hakyeon skipped a beat or two as he was lead out of the store.

 

"That was interesting, I had fun." Prince smiled as he loosened his grip on the other man still in a daze.

 

"M-me too, uhmm…"

 

Hakyeon fidgeted, mentally facepalming at himself for actually forgetting to exchange introductions before this whole engagement.

 

"Jaehwan."

 

"Ha-Hakyeon."

 

"So…

 

… are we moving on to another bakery or you've decided on a wedding cake?"