They're Starting a Baseball Team

Velvet Throne

It was a quiet Thursday morning when she walked into the bakery. Taemin recognized her from his first date with Seunghyun- she had been the one watching from outside the diner. She was dressed exactly the same as she was that night, an unreadable expression on her face. Taemin couldn't gauge her mood, so he wasn't sure what he was dealing with, but he was determined to at least try to be polite.

“Good morning,” he said calmly, even though his heart was racing. “What can we do for you today?”

She didn't say anything, just stared at him intently.

Right. “The menu is on the wall behind me,” Taemin pointed helpfully. “So when you decide what you want, just let me know.”

It was when he had turned his back to her that she finally spoke. “He doesn't love you, you know,” she said softly.

Taemin turned around, eyebrow raised. “I know.”

“You're just a distraction from his responsibilities.”

“Hard to believe he's dodging responsibilities when he still goes to work like usual.”

“I mean his parental responsibilities.”

Taemin paused. He felt a flare in his chest, but he remembered stories from the hosts of Seunghyun's club about clients not respecting boundaries. “And how does Seunghyun feel about this?”

The woman smiled. “He'll be so excited.”

Taemin's eyebrows shot up. “You mean you've told a complete stranger before you've told the father?”

Her eyes flashed. “I was just warning you that you are involved with a soon-to-be father, and probably a soon-to-be husband. Don't mess with us,” she said forcefully. Then, she her heel and left the shop.

Leaning against the back counter, Taemin picked up his cell phone and dialed Seunghyun.

“Good morning, beautiful,” came the familiar sleepy voice.

“Congratulations.”

“Thank you.”

“You're going to be a father.”

A pause. Then, “Baby, I think you need to re-take ed.”

Taemin huffed, then informed Seunghyun of what happened.

Seunghyun sighed. “I'm sorry you had to go through that.”

“She was outside the diner where we had our first date.”

Seunghyun didn't answer right away. “She was.”

Taemin sighed. “Why did you lie about it?”

It was Seunghyun's turn to sigh once again. “Because I didn't want to cast a shadow on our first date- a client possibly stalking me.”

“Possibly?”

“It could have been a coincidence. And I didn't want to call attention to her, so I ignored her.”

Taemin was quiet.

“Tell me,” Seunghyun pleaded. “What should I have done?”

Taemin rubbed his face and sighed. “Nothing, I guess,” he replied. “I might have reacted the same way.”

“So you forgive me then?”

Taemin chuckled. “Yes, of course. Just don't lie to me again.”

“I promise,” Seunghyun said quickly. “Can I make it up to you? Dinner and shopping at the Promenade?”

Taemin rolled his eyes, trying not to smile. “I'm not a girl, Seunghyun.”

“No, but I know how much you love pasta-”

“Only yours,” Taemin interrupted, blushing at Seunghyun's answering chuckle. He was glad the older man couldn't see him.

“- and there is that massive bookstore you love to drool over.”

“I don't drool!”

“Taemin, I practically had to scrape you off the glass window the last time we walked past!”

Taemin laughed, the noticed a couple walking into the bakery. “Hey, I've got to work. See you Wednesday?”

“Same time, same place.”

They hung up, and Taemin turned to his customers.

 

 

Although Taemin enjoyed his date with Seunghyun as usual, he kept expecting the woman to jump out at them. He kept tensing up throughout the evening, but Seunghyun never mentioned it. He merely pulled Taemin closer. Taemin reveled in it, basking in the protectiveness Seunghyun showed. Usually Taemin would shove Seunghyun off, laughing about being an adult, but tonight he held Seunghyun a little longer, a little tighter. And when they said goodnight, the kiss was longer, gentler.

“Get some rest,” Seunghyun murmured.

Taemin smiled up at him. “You too.”

 

 

It wasn't unusual for Taemin's parents to be waiting up for him on his date nights. What was unusual was that they had company. Two intimidating men dressed all in black stood behind Taemin's parents, who were seated at the kitchen table. They looked alright, from what Taemin could see.

“Ah, Taemin,” his father said calmly. “How was your date?”

“Fine,” Taemin replied, puzzled. “What's... what's going on? Who are they?”

Taemin's mother stood slowly, and moved over to Taemin. “Darling, the young men want $50,000.”

Taemin's jaw dropped. “$50,000?!” He grew angry. “We don't have that much!” He turned to them. “Or what?”

The stockier man pulled a bat out from behind him, and placed it on Taemin's dad's shoulder.

Taemin swallowed. “Alright,” he said. “Can I call someone?”

“No police!”

“Obviously,” Taemin mumbled. With shaking hands, he pulled out his cell phone and dialed Seunghyun's number.

“Hey beautiful,” Seunghyun answered. “Miss me already?”

“You wish,” Taemin retorted. “But I do need a favor.”

“You don't miss me, but you want something? I'm not so sure-”

“I need $50,000.”

Silence.

“Some old friends of dad's have shown up, and we're going to help them!” Taemin said brightly, hoping Seunghyun would buy it. He looked at the baseball bat on his father's shoulder. “They're starting a baseball team! Exciting.”

Seunghyun was still quiet. Taemin felt sick. Finally, Seunghyun said, “I'm on my way. Sit tight, and don't panic.”

“See you then!” Taemin said, fighting back tears. He hung up and sat at the table, reaching out to hold his mother's hand.

 

 

Ten minutes later, the bakery door opened. Taemin took a deep breath as footsteps climbed the stairs, and Seunghyun appeared in their kitchen. His face was stone, but he seemed to relax slightly at the sight of Taemin and his parents safe. He turned to the two men.

“Kangin. Sungmin. What are you doing here?”

“Just collecting money that's owed,” Kangin answered.

“To who? Moeka?”

Sungmin shot Kangin a look.

“Does Yongguk know you're making deals behind his back?” Seunghyun moved into Kangin's space. “Beat it, and don't ever come around the bakery or these people again.”

Kangin stared at Seunghyun for a few moments longer, then turned and stalked off, Sungmin following close behind.

 

 

When the door slammed, Taemin and his parents relaxed.

“I'm so sorry,” Seunghyun murmured. “I appear to have a client who as crossed the line.” He rubbed his face and looked tired.

“What will you do?” Taemin's father asked.

“She's already banned from the club. I guess now I have to contact the police, see if I have enough for a restraining order.”

“Has this ever happened before?” Taemin asked.

Seunghyun shook his head.

Taemin's mother looked between them and stood. “I think you two need some time alone.” She took Taemin's father by the hand and led him from the room.

Taemin looked down at the table, sighing deeply.

“Tae?”

The baker shook his head. “I can't do this, Seunghyun. I get that it's professional jealousy or whatever, but she's sending people to my house.” He finally met Seunghyun's eyes. “My parents, Seunghyun.” Tears filled his eyes and he wiped them away. “Maybe we should stop seeing each other for a while.”

Seunghyun exhaled, slumping back in the chair. He looked lost.

“I'm sorry,” Taemin whispered. “I just can't deal with this.” Fresh tears began to fall.

Seunghyun reached out to gently grasp Taemin's hands. “Please don't cut me out completely.”

“You can still come by. Still text.”

Seunghyun smiled and kissed Taemin's hands.