I Kinda Like You

Velvet Throne

Wednesday finally rolled around and Taemin was excited for his first date with Seunghyun. His parents gave him the evening off. They had both met Seunghyun and liked him, although the age difference did concern them. But they trusted their son and would support him no matter what.

 

 

When Taemin texted Seunghyun that he was available on Wednesday, the host responded with a flurry of heart-eye emojis that made him chuckle. Seunghyun was such a goofball. They were going to have a casual dinner, then see where they were at. Because Taemin had to be up early to work at the bakery, he wouldn't be able to stay out all night.

 

 

Taemin pulled his hair back and dressed simply- black jeans, white tee shirt, and a black jacket. Seunghyun met him at the door wearing dark jeans and a dark gray v-neck.

“You look beautiful,” Seunghyun said as he offered his arm to Taemin.

“Thanks!” Taemin replied brightly. “You aren't too bad yourself.”

Seunghyun just snorted.

 

 

They walked to a local diner. It was a small hole-in-the-wall that Seunghyun had patronized for years, and it was his favorite restaurant in the city. Taemin had asked for something casual and relaxing, somewhere he could get a burger and a shake. It had a retro look, with black and white floor tiles and red and silver seating. The staff all waved at Seunghyun when they walked in.

“Wow, you really do come here all the time,” Taemin remarked.

“Yup. I would have starved without Old Woman Josie.”

“Who's Old Woman Josie?”

“The cook. It was just her when this place opened ten years ago, so it was just us for a while.”

They ordered and fell into a teasing banter, with Seunghyun trying to make Taemin blush at every chance. He succeeded less than half of the time, so Taemin considered that a win. He loved how pouty Seunghyun would get when his charm wouldn't work on Taemin. It was, but Taemin wasn't about to let on.

 

 

“Seunghyun?” a voice approached their table. The man it belonged to looked like a panther- long, lean, and graceful. He had short brown hair and pale full lips.

“Jaejoong!” Seunghyun smiled, leaning up to accept a kiss to the cheek, and to return the same. “Taemin, this is Jaejoong. He was one of my hosts before marrying one of his clients.” He turned back to Jaejoong. “Where is Yunho?”

“Right here.” Another man appeared, wrapping an arm around Jaejoong and shaking Seunghyun's hand. He was tall, muscular, and sturdy. He also had short dark hair and, and a warm smile. “An new employee?” He asked, looking at Taemin.

“My date, actually,” Seunghyun answered, smiling warmly.

“Your taste has actually improved,” Jaejoong winked at Taemin. “He's prettier than you.”

“Everyone is,” Taemin retorted. The other three laughed.

“A firecracker!” Yunho squeezed Jaejoong closer. “I like those. I approve.”

Jaejoong chucked Taemin under the chin before they sauntered out.

“They seem really good together,” Taemin commented.

“They are,” Seunghyun agreed. “They just celebrated their second wedding anniversary. They're just as in love now as they were on the day they met.”

“They're rather disgusting, aren't they?” Taemin teased.

Seunghyun laughed. “Speaking of married couples, I want to hire you. Jonghyun and Minho are getting married and we're throwing them a wedding shower.”

“Huh. That's certainly a new twist on matchmaking.”

Seunghyun snorted. “So? What do you think?”

“I'd love to.”

 

 

They were there for another hour. Taemin ordered dessert and Seunghyun ordered coffee. At one point, Taemin looked out the window and saw a woman on the sidewalk, watching them. She was tall and slender, wearing a dark trench coat and heels. Her hair was pulled back and she wore deep red lipstick. Taemin excused himself to the restroom and she was still there.

“I wonder what that woman is doing out there?” he wondered.

“What woman?” Seunghyun asked, looking out the window.

“In the dark trench coat and red lipstick. She's been out there for a while now.”

Seunghyun didn't reply, just stared. Soon he turned back to Taemin.

“Do you know her?” Taemin asked.

Seunghyun shrugged. “I don't think so. She doesn't look familiar.”

 

 

By the time they left, the woman was gone. The air had gotten cooler, and Taemin shivered a little in his jacket.

“So how big of a cake are we talking?” he asked.

Seunghyun wrapped an arm around Taemin's waist, pulling him close. “Enough for ten.”

“Flavors?”

“They'll both say whatever the other wants. I know Jonghyun loves chocolate and Minho loves fruit.”

Taemin was silent for a moment while he mulled it over. “I'll do a chocolate layer cake with raspberry jam, chocolate icing, and fresh raspberries on top.”

“Mmmm,” Seunghyun moaned, wrapping both arms around Taemin. “That sounds so good.”

Taemin laughed. “Don't drool on me.”

Seunghyun just moaned louder.

 

 

In front of the bakery, Taemin felt his heart fluttering. He didn't know if Seunghyun would kiss him, but he found himself desperately wishing he would.

Seunghyun cupped Taemin's face. “Can I?” he whispered.

“Yes,” Taemin breathed.

Seunghyun pressed their lips together and Taemin sighed. Seunghyun slid his hands into Taemin's hair and tugged gently. Taemin whined, and Seunghyun took the opportunity to plunder Taemin's mouth. He turned them and pressed Taemin into the brick wall, kissing him deeply. Taemin tugged on the older man's shirt, wanting him as close as possible. When they finally pulled apart, they were both panting.

“I'll see you in the morning,” Seunghyun murmured.

That night, Seunghyun's texts were accompanied by an absurd amount of kissing emojis and hearts that had Taemin squealing.

 

 

The wedding shower for Jonghyun and Minho was intimate and lovely. Jonghyun was surprised and overjoyed. He and Minho loved the cake and invited Taemin to join the party. Taemin shyly accepted.

“Will you do our wedding cake too?” Jonghyun asked excitedly.

“Sure!” Taemin smiled. “Our address label is on the box, and Seunghyun visits for breakfast every morning. You're welcome any time.”

“Get their eclairs!” Seunghyun called from where he was chatting with Heechul and Hangeng.

Taemin giggled.

“He really likes you a lot,” Jonghyun continued softly. “I've never seen him like this with anyone before.”

Taemin snorted skeptically. “How long have you known him?”

“Six years. I ran away from home when I was sixteen and met Seunghyun while I was looking for work. He got me a job washing dishes and I slept in his guest bedroom.” Jonghyun lowered his eyes. “My parents beat me.”

Taemin made a soft noise, his heart breaking for the fragile and beautiful sweetheart in front of him.

“He takes care of all of us, actually,” Jiyong interrupted. “He wants only the best for his employees, even if they leave, like Jaejoong and Jonghyun.”

Taemin's eyes found Seunghyun, and blushed when he realized he was being watched.

“Our business may be strange to outsiders, but we help people to relax. Or people who are too shy to meet others on their own. And Seunghyun is by far the best person to work for. I've worked a lot of jobs, a lot of them host jobs, and it's nice knowing someone cares.” Jiyong cleared his throat. “Before Daesung, Seunghyun and the others were all I had.”

“Same,” Jonghyun said.

“Did I hear my name?” Daesung asked, wrapping an arm around Jiyong. He smiled at Taemin. “Seunghyun adores you.”

Taemin blushed and rolled his eyes. “So I keep hearing.”

Daesung watched him. “But?”

Taemin shrugged.

 

 

Daesung nodded. Taking Taemin's hand, he pulled him to a table off to the side. “How do you know what's real?” he guessed.

Taemin nodded.

“I get it. It took me a while to be sure of Jiyong. Especially since a few of his high dollar clients had his number. But I could tell a difference in his behavior just by sheer observation. He was always putting on an act. When it was just us he would drop everything, and allow himself to be tired. He would allow himself to be quiet. He would hold only my hand. I was also the only one he had kissed. And I can't tell you how many times Seungri tried to get a kiss.” Daesung chuckled at the memory. “The I came in one day and Jiyong was alone. He had told the others that I was the only one he was interested in, and that he wouldn't see them anymore. And this even before he knew how I felt about him.”

Taemin's eyes widened. “How did that go?”

“Fine. Kiko got pissy, but Jiyong had been looking to be rid of her for a while.”

Taemin frowned. “That's mean.”

“Not really. She never respected Jiyong's boundaries. She was always pushing for things Jiyong didn't want, even when he had made the line perfectly clear to her.” Daesung looked Taemin in the eye. “No one is allowed whatever they want with a host without their consent. Kiko couldn't respect that so she was asked to leave.”

Taemin just nodded, taking everything in.

“No one is saying you have to do anything with Seunghyun right now. He'll be the first person to tell you to take as much time as you need. But from what I've seen, and heard from the others, he does genuinely like you.”

“Thanks, Daesung.”

 

 

Later, Taemin found himself standing next to Seunghyun as he held court at the party. His arm was around Taemin's waist, and he pulled Taemin in close. He tried to include Taemin in the conversation and would give him little kisses and would nuzzle him when someone else was talking. It gave Taemin something to think about.

 

 

“That was certainly a success,” Seunghyun sighed happily as he walked Taemin home. “Jonghyun was so happy! And thanks for such a beautiful cake.”

“I'm glad,” Taemin smiled.

Seunghyun poked him. “What are you smiling about?”

Taemin shrugged. “I kinda like you.”

“Only kinda?”

Taemin shrugged again, smirking.

The kiss he received in reply took his breath away even more than their first.