8: Only Fools (Don't Fall)

Submission

tumblr_inline_o2xacgjifu1txbnb0_540.png

 

바보같은

 

“Could you, I don’t know, shut the up?”

 

Jungkook’s head whips up from where it’s laying against the desk, angled so that he can use his phone without moving more than his thumbs. His sits up straighter, elbows now off of his knees and turns to consider the older. “Um, what?”

 

“I said shut up, damn. All you do is giggle at your stupid phone.” And he’s annoyed but not really; Yoongi remembers being just as giddy with Jimin, how he still gets flustered. “The least you could do is go rainbows in a different room, punk. I’m gonna be sick.”

 

“Ya,” Jungkook stands and stretches because he has been sitting in the same place for a good two hours, “Who was the one playing matchmaker earlier? You’re supposed to be happy for me, Yoong.”

 

The blonde waves a dismissive hand, “Yeah, yeah, happy. Right.”

 

Jungkook beams from where he’s standing. “So what about you and Jimin? You guys are still okay?” The last he’s heard about his hyung’s friend/fwb/boyfriend/ it’s-complicated was about a week ago after the redhead redyed his hair orange and Yoongi had come bursting into his apartment nursing “the hardest of his life.”

 

“Still hot as ,” he grunts, “He’s thinking about getting a different job cause he’s tired of slaving away for that prick Jung. We’ve talked about opening up our own investment company too, just a small thing that would get him and I both out of the public market,” he shrugs, “We’ll see though, we haven’t talked through everything yet.”

 

“The private sector is pretty nice,” Jungkook affirms, flipping the phone around in his hand a few times, “It’s pretty much a 100% profit if you play your cards right.” Despite being only twenty-five, he’s worked in the business for just about three years though it’s hardly required if to take over as pack leader. Being the only son of the head alpha is equivalent to having a ‘Get out of Jail Free’ card - he’s spoiled in the sense that he’s always been given the best, regarded with the utmost respect, and expected to succeed without trying. He was born with a silver spoon. Up until college (and Kim ing Taehyung), Jungkook had been more or less okay with getting everything handed to him; however, it was the older walking out on him that made him feel… worthless. Because what did he really have to offer if his parent’s money was cut off? He was well on his way to flunking out in his second year at the university, he had never worked a day in his life, never had to face the consequences of his actions, never even cooked for himself and yet he had actually expected someone as perfect as Taehyung to depend on him. It was the kick in the he needed to realize that he had to work for what he wanted; nothing that mattered in life would come free and easy. He threw himself into his studies and graduated at least slightly achieved before moving on to start as an intern at the main branch. Rather than starting right off in power, he spent the next two years busting his and learning the ropes in order to earn his current position as vice president. It was probably one of his biggest achievements and to this day he doesn't regret subjecting to himself to hell for the sake of being a better leader. Wow. How poetic of me.

 

The sound of Yoongi’s low voice pulls him out of his thoughts and his phone vibrating has him shuffling out of the room. “Ah, sorry, hyung. Lemme just take this-” The blonde grumbles something about disrespectful dongsaengs, but Jungkook ignores it in favor of checking his messages.

 

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

So is that a yes or a no?

Yoongi? Like Jimin’s Min Yoongi? Ha. Small world.

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

Yes and yes

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

I also have a meeting at 8 so I’ll be running to your place from across town

If I’m late don’t freak out, k?

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

K

 

And Jungkook can’t help the shadow of doubt that keeps clouding his vision. He hadn’t realized things with Taehyung were falling apart until there was nothing left to grab onto, until he was way too invested and he still can’t believe how naive he was.

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

Do you think I’m worth it?

All the trouble?

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

Ya

What’s wrong with you

I could practically hear you giggling a minute ago and now you’re all serious

gross

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

Answer my question

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

Kook

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

Ya nevermind

9 then? okay

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

wait wait wait

Lemme say something

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

Later

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

Kookie

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

Later.

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

You know you're really annoying, right?

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

Call me before you get here

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

Sure

 

Q_VJYHrx-W3GRt-7LxlPZpzxv0sBknyn-ycKUx3J

 

To be fair you didn’t throw the phone, it slipped out of your hand as you set it down, ie why there’s a new chip in the screen from where it came in contact with the wooden desk. You can already feel the headache starting. “Contact my 4pm and see if they can come in now. Also double check that Mr. Jung’s representative will be at tonight’s meeting; we’re after his investment not necessarily the others.”

 

Ten minutes later the secretary returns, meeting agenda in hand. “The 4pm said they could meet in ten and I’ve been informed that Mr. Jung himself is coming to the presentation.”

 

“Mr Jung? He’s actually coming?”

 

“Yes, President Park.”

 

“Hmm…” In over a year of working out this trade, you’ve never met him in person. Strange. “Then assure that we’re well prepared for him. Set him at my right side and be sure that those surrounding him are the least likely to invest; put Whalien 52 and Baepsae directly in front of him and one of our representatives to his left.” Landing an investment with HOPE IY is undoubtedly one of the biggest achievements in the industry - not only is HIY known for it’s wealth, it’s an exclusive private company that only bets it’s money where success is guaranteed. In the twelve years it’s been in business, they’ve never been wrong. What’s more a deal with their company sets off a chain reaction of sorts - smaller investors often times mimic their trades, meaning that wherever HIY spends it’s money, they do to. You’ve witnessed it on multiple occasions and everytime it means a three-million-dollar budget increase for the company. This is exactly the kind of investment you need to make to solidify your position as CEO. At the thought your breath catches in your throat.

 

CEO or Jeon Jungkook?

 

Ignoring the situation helps you sleep at night at least, but it’s in the middle of important deals like these, ones that, if accomplished, could promote you straight to head alpha, that have you sinking back into the rigid arm chair and face palming with every inhale. What the am I’m doing?

 

 

 

 

The rest of the afternoon passes at a reasonable pace considering how ty you feel, but leading up to the meeting, your nerves start acting up. Being seven stories up usually deters people from using the stairs, so with that in mind you slip out of your office, down the long hallway, and into the stairwell. Though the concrete steps are far from aesthetic, the windows lining the walls allow in the sun; it’s pleasant. You lean against the railing and let out a shaky breath trying to rid yourself of the jittery feeling. “Good evening, Gentlemen. I’m (Y/N) Park, President and second in command here at JC Emper. Empere. Empire. Piiiiie-eeer.” Get it together. Another fake smile makes its way to your lips and you start again, “Good evening, Gentleman... Ladies and Gentlemen? Everyone? Aish!” Why today of all days?!

 

“Someone’s tense.”

 

The sudden interruption causes you to jump straight up, every curse word you know on the tip of your tongue and ready to melt the face off of the little on the landing above you. God spare his soul. You can just make out the click of shoes against the steps as the other makes his way down, long legs slowly coming into view followed by the rest of his body. His shoes are crafted from brown leather, LANVIN branded on the heel as well as printed on the collar of the sky-blue buttondown tucked neatly into denim blue suit pants. He’s in the process of pushing his arms back through the sleeves of his matching jacket, but before they disappear, you can’t help but notice the way his muscles roll and flex as he does so. His honey brown hair is coiffed perfectly to show off his smooth forehead and shaped eyebrows that rest just above dark brown eyes, a thin nose, and small mouth.

 

“Oh. Yeah, well-” Yep. Cursed like a sailor. “I don’t get nervous often, so… yeah.” God damn he’s hot. You almost smack the hand he offers you away because his fingers are so perfectly thin omg but manage to force your arm into motion after a couple of mental slaps.

 

“Nice to meet you. I’m Jung Hoseok, CEO of HOPE IY.”

 

What are the odds? “P-President Park of JC Empire.”

 

His eyes shoot open in realization and he renews the handshake, this time with more vigor. “Waaaaaaa! I didn’t think we’d have the chance to meet until tonight’s meeting.” He looks a bit flustered, “I assume that’s what you’re preparing for in this, uh, stairwell?” He chuckles as he looks around, “You still have a good hour though, there’s no need to run yourself into the ground worrying.” Your mouth opens and closes; you want to deny that you're stressing about the meeting, but only a fool would believe the blatant lie. “It’s written all over your face, President Park,” he confirms with a smile, “I can hear your heart pounding from here.” It suddenly strikes you that there is not nearly enough room between his body and yours to breathe comfortably let alone form a coherent response. He seems to pick up on your panicked state and takes a step back so that he’s no longer within arms reach. “Ah, haha. Sorry about that.” He bows his head a bit before continuing, “Perhaps we should relocate? You look like you could collapse if the breeze caught you,” he jokes, but his tone is concerned and it’s confusing and just where the did this guy come from? “Your office is on this floor, right?”

 

 

 

Hoseok paces the room at a lazy speed, stopping to stare at the framed certificates on the wall and flip through random books from the large shelf. You sit down on the small couch set just in front of a low table and watch his trek silently, trying to quell the sense of deja vu washing over you.

 

“Come eat dinner with me.”     

 

You freeze in your seat. “W-what?”

 

“Dinner. You and I. After the meeting. How about it?” He returns a heavy textbook back to the shelf and turns around to look at you from across the room. “I wanna get to know my soon-to-be business partner better.”

 

A bated breath makes its way past your lips. Of course it’s for business, what are you thinking. “Ah...” This is for work. This is for work. For work. “In that case, I know an nice Chinese restaurant nearby.”

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

Hey

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

I wanna go somewhere nice

Should I wear a classic white long sleeve or mix it up and go with the salmon one?

I’m feeling dangerous

Which one do you like best?

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

Not tonight

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

ㅎㅅㅎ?

why what’s wrong

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

Something important came up

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

That something being?

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

Ya don’t worry about it

I’ll make it up okay?

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

But noona I’m hungryyyyyyy

Noooooooooona

(T.T) Fine

I’ll eat with Seokjin hyung

 

 

From: [Princess Noona]

To: [Me]

k

thanks

sorry

 

From: [Kid]

To: [Me]

Tell me how the meeting goes

You’ll do great ;)

Don’t worry too much

I’ll see you later, love

 

 

It does go well. Jung Hoseok sits nestled between nobodies and nods and asks questions at the appropriate times and this is going so well that you’d been ting your pants if something didn’t feel… off. You brush the feelings away to deal with at another time because said CEO stands to make his final decision. The next half an hour is but a hazy memory as the room erupts in applause and you’re again swept away to the podium to thank the investors for attending and assure them all that JC Empire will take good care of the three million dollars pledged tonight.

 

“Congratulations... partner.” The same smooth voice from earlier tickles your ear, “I can tell you’ve worked hard to make this deal happen.”

 

Unlike before you manage to keep your composure and answer his compliment with a bow, “Thank you, though I wasn’t working on the project alone by any sense. We’ve all prepared extensively and it just happened that our efforts turned out this well.”

 

A bubble of laughter rises from the other, “Said like a true business woman. I like it.” The conversation breaks off as he intercepted by his representative and literally dragged away; however, he turns back to catch your eye through the sea of people. Dinner? he mouths, head tilting to the side as if questioning.

 

Slowly, carefully you nod.

 

Q_VJYHrx-W3GRt-7LxlPZpzxv0sBknyn-ycKUx3J

 

A/N

Wtf happened here… well Hobi is my ultimate bias and even though this is a Kook fic I just couldn’t help myself //hides// This is my fave chapter by far

HIY = I’m your Hope <3

This is what I imagine him wearing and goddamn would I love to see him in this @_@

Thank you all for reading! ilysm!

 

bts-jin-kpop-suga-Favim.com-3667553.gif

 

Q_VJYHrx-W3GRt-7LxlPZpzxv0sBknyn-ycKUx3J