The Cause

The Lost Cause
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim residence

A/N : Mrs Kim’s name is Kim Shin Hye and Mr kim Soo Jun

 “Honey, did you call Taeyeon-ah?” Shin hye asked her husband while preparing the dinner table.

“No, I thought you are going to call her” Her husband replied without taking his eyes off from the TV program he was watching.

“I did call her. But she isn’t answering my calls” Taeyeon’s mom was scared by now because even though she know Taeyeon can take care of herself perfectly with her special …mmm abilities

“Don’t worry, dear. She’ll come”

“Argh! Kids these days” She muttered as she brought all dishes and plates to the dining table grumbling. She was upset because she expected to have a chat with her daugher.

Since Taeyeon left home after her… um uh near death encounter she doesn’t visit her parents much often or stay at their house for long. Taeyeon's mother suspected it’s because of her new habits and the loss of her girlfriend. Still she miss my baby so much.

Shin Hye was lost in my thoughts reminiscing Taeyeon’s childhood memories when she head the doorbell.

“I’ll get that” she put aside plates on my hand and went to open the door.

“What took so long? I was wait… oh.. hey Baekhyunie” Mrs. Kim forced a smile when she saw it’s not Taeyeon and even looked past his shoulders to check if she came with him.

“Hey Aunt. Are you expecting someone else?” He grinned and hugged her.

Byun Baekhyun is like a son to Mr and Mrs Kim. He is Taeyeon’s childhood friend and they were inseparable until Taeyeon met her. Shin Hye knew Baekhyun liked Taeyeon since they started to hang out and maybe still does. The way he looks at her and take care of her says it all. But Taeyeon never saw him in that way. When she kept an eye on her daughter to find if she is interested in Baekhyun. Even teased about her sometimes. But Taeyeon's replies convinced her that though she really liked him, she only like him as a sibling rather than a lover.

“I thought its Taeyeon. We are still waiting for her” Confusion was written on his face and he spaced out for a moment like he is thinking about something deeply.

He remember talking to Taeyeon few hours ago and she said she’ll meet him at home. Baekhyun’s main reason for coming there today is to see her best friend.

Yeah, best friend you are crazily in love with? How long you are going to stay beside her without making a move huh?

I am not going to ask her out. I saw how much she loved that girl that day. If I ask her it will only break up our friendship. The look in her eyes when she knew that news told me everything I need to know.

But at this moment Baekhyun has more things to worry about. He knows no matter how busy Taeyeon is she never late for dinner with her family.

Did anything happened to her?

“Is something wrong, dear?”

He snapped out of his thoughts when Shin hye tapped his shoulder.

“No. I .. I didn’t call her. But maybe something came up and she can’t make it today?”

He smiled to show that it’s not a big deal but the look in his eyes told otherwise.

Is something going on without us knowing? 

Though Shin Hye wanted to call on his bluff she decided to let it go for now.

They walked inside and Baekhyun greeted Soo Jun with a one arm hug. Mr. Kim really liked Baekhyun. Since Baekhyun is also doing business and he is interested in sports, he and Soo Jun always hang out and watch matches on TV.  After greetings they settle down in the living room and spent next half an hour chatting about random stuff, waiting for Taeyeon. But she didn’t come nor did she answer her phone. Mr. Kim was getting impatient and angry by minute because he wanted both Taeyeon and Baekhyun here. There was a reason for this dinner. Seeing her husband’s expression getting worse by minute Shin Hye request to have dinner without her.

“Actually Baekhyun, We have a reason for inviting you two for dinner” Mr. Kim said while slowly munching his dinner. He looks serious for the first time in that night.

“oh. I what is it uncle?”  He asked putting away chopsticks and wiping the corner of his mouth with a napkin.

“Mmm I don’t know if I should tell you because Taeyeon isn’t here. Anyway let’s talk about it after dinner” He smiled at him and took a bite. Baekhyun stared at Soo Jun for few minutes and then nodded his head.

“Very well”

………………………………….

“So what is it that you want to tell me, Uncle?” Baekhyun asked as soon as we settle down on the bench in their garden. He was wondering what this old man has to say to him. Usually they just have light conversation. They only have a serious talk about their business. After dinner Baekhyun and Soo Jun decided to head out to talk.

“Hmm. I have this thought for a while. I will be 60 years old in few months and I know I don’t have much time unlike you. So I want to settle down everything in case something happen to me”

“What are you talking about uncle? You are perfectly healthy and you can run the company for years… I don’t think…”

Soo Jun lift his hand and stopped him in the middle.

“Let me finish Baek. You know very well what kind of organization I actually run. I am not talking about travel agency” He paused for a bit to letting me to realize what he is talking about.

Oh oh! Is this about…

“Yeah. You know very well I never told Taengoo about my real work and I prefer it stays that way. It means I need someone I trust to handle my business as well as my group”

Finally the real intentions of him revealing. So he wants me to be a mafia boss and handle his gang?

Baekhyun knew one day he will ask for this. He closely followed Soo Jun’s work even before they met officially. Baekhyun lived around this city even before Kim family came to live her.

I don’t know what to think of it. I am glad that he trust me enough to give his business to me.  But there is a part of me that keeps remind me not to get in to illegal business.

“So do you want me to do it for you? Are you sure about this uncle?”

“I won’t make that decision without thinking thoroughly, Baek. This was not just an organization. It’s our generations’ blood, sweat and tears. I wouldn’t just give it away. I think you are the best for this job because of your special talents and you won’t get old too. Also I don’t think I need to train you because you must have seen these stuff for years. But what really helped me to make this decision is your love for my daughter”

My WHAT?

Beakhyun’s eyes widen and quickly turned to Soo Jun. He is smiling back at Baekhyun like he just didn’t talk about one of the secret of him.

“My what?”

 “Why you looked surprised? I knew that since you and she became friends. I am actually surprised you haven’t confessed to her yet”

I really didn’t know it is this obvious

Baekhyun was flustered and didn’t know what to say to the old man. Especially since he is the father of the girl he loves.

“I.. I ddin’t.. don’t.. mm. It’s not like that uncle.”

He laughed loudly and pattered him back.

“I am not asking you to propose to her. I just said I trust you more because I know you can take care of her even as a friend because you love her. So take your time and think carefully before you make your decision. I want to announce it on my birthday. So you have few more months”

Baekhyun just nodded her head while thinking about what Soo Jun said.

This is a lot to take in. I mean I knew about Kim Soo Jun is the leader of “KKK” group that runs drug cartel and the human trafficking. (A/N : I know I just used a famous organization’s name and made it as what I want it. But please bear with me for the sake of the plot). There was a time in my past that I didn’t realize the value of humanity because I was Self-indulgent when I realized my powers. At that time I met Kim Soo Jun. I had helped him few times in exchange of humans that he kidnap for human trafficking.

The story of Byun Baekhyun was older than others think. Byun Baekhyun, the best friend of Kim Taeyeon was actually a vampire. But he is NOT like the vampires people see in dramas and movi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter