04. A family

[4] Forever Mine

(A/N: He and She is pronounced the same in spoken mandarin. Remember, Lay a.k.a Yixing and Nari a.k.a Jia Li were both Chinese)

 

 

 

“By looking at you now, I can tell he will be a healthy kid and will definitely grow well.”

“You think so?” Nari asked Xing while tapping the fork on her lips wearing a happy smile upon hearing the comment rather a compliment by her friend.

“No, I know so,” he replied, emphasizing the word know before he pointed at her plate with an amused smile. “Just by looking at that, you kept on eating vegetable since then. I knew the fact that you like eating fruits, especially the yellow ones but now you seem addicted to it and even to vegetables. But Nari you shouldn’t forget, you also need meat and fish and also milk and also-“

“Yixing-ge,” Nari giggled, “Don’t worry. I know a proper diet I should follow. We usually eat steak for dinner, I always drink milk every morning. Eunji’s mother is also there for me all the time giving me advices and stuffs every time I visits them. I also let my mother know about it but I asked them not tell or give a hint to him as well. I’m sure she can do this simple thing for me, besides they aren’t that close anyway for her to tell. But I’m still keeping it to LuMom, cos she’ll surely open to him. Her excitement will ruin this.”

“Tch, ruin it? Why don’t you just tell him then?” Nari met Yixing’s eyes. “Won’t see be the first one to be excited about this? He’s the father of your child after all.”

Nari just gave  a shrug, “I don’t know. Like I said before, I just want him to find out himself. He’s not that dumb, you know it. He’ll know it soon. I’m sure of it.” Although she was smiling, she’s also not trusting her words.

“When? When your stomach grew large enough for him to notice and by the time you can already detect if it’ll be a boy or a girl? That far?”

“We’ll never know..” she smiled again and shrugged. “Let’s just wait for him.”

“Fine, do what pleases you. Just make sure you won’t hurt his feeling for keeping it for him for that long. Remember, he’s the father, the closest person and most important one to that child of yours.”

 

 

~~~

 

 

(A/N: I have mentioned before (C.03) through Nari’s perspective that usually Luhan calls her ‘Nabi’, butterfly in English after he dropped the pet name baobei. And also it is shortened for NAri baBY.)

 

 

 

“Nabi~~ where are you?” he calls out when he noticed the lights downstairs were off and she’s not in sight. Usually, every time Luhan arrives home, she’ll be spotted in the kitchen cooking food or in the living room with her books and or drawing materials. But this time, neither of it. 

“Nabi-yah, are you home?” Luhan walks to the staircase and calls out upstairs where their room is located. When he got no response, he went up to their room to check himself. But when he opened the door, he was greeted by darkness once again. He lifts his left wrist to check the time and as sure as he was, it’s already eight in the evening, the usual time he gets home and Nari shouldn’t be still outside at this hour. “Where is she…” Luhan quickly pulled out his phone and dialed her number as he half-ran to their main door to look for her.

At the exact time he pulled the door open, Nari’s face shows up. “Oh.” Nari’s eyes immediately scanned him and noticed that he’s still wearing the same clothes he was wearing when they got separated this morning. “uh..are you going outside?”

Instead of answering, Luhan pulled her in a tight hug. “I was looking for you.” Nari gave him a squeeze but immediately pulls away. She’s been cautious that Luhan will get a first class clue once he noticed and felt the bump she has in her stomach. “I visited Yixing-ge. I got hungry and I thought you’ll be home late since you’re busy lately, so I already ate. I’m sorry. Do you want me to cook you something? Yixing-ge thought me a new recipe he told me to try seafoods,” Luhan slowly turns away from her and went inside the house. Nari followed and locks the door unaware of her husband’s mood.

Just like the usual, every time he gets home, she will avoid his hug and will start talking about her day with everyone else where he’s not part of it. What irritates him more is the repetition of specific someone’s name. “He told me we should give it a try since we usually eat meat and fatty foods. Well, he said, we should also pay attention to the benefits of fishes and other stuffs since we also need proteins and other nutrients. So, what do you think? You’re not allergic to them right?”

“I’m not hungry,” Luhan answered without even glancing at her and went straight to the stairs. Nari pouted a little. She even worked hard this afternoon after doing house chores just to master Lay’s recipe to satisfy her husband, but in the end, he doesn’t even care. Nari sighed. “Maybe, he’s just tired.” Nari sat on the foot of the stairs and sulked. “I wonder if it’ll be okay to eat for breakfast…” she glanced upstairs and stared for a while hoping Luhan will appear once again.

“He’s probably sleeping by now.” With another sigh, Nari stood up again giving herself an encouraging smile. “I’ll cook it anyway, just in case he wakes up in the middle of the night and felt hungry.” She grabs her apron, get the ingredients she’ll need and start working on her recipe. He even texted Lay to give her the list in case she forgets something.

 

 


 

 

“What are you doing here?” Upon hearing the familiar voice, Nari quickly stood up in her seat and turns to the direction of the voice. Although he was giving her a not-so-pleasant-to-see-you kind of face he usually shows, Nari still greets him a bright smile and runs to him. “Sehun-ah!!”

 

~~

 

“NO, it’s not fair! He’s definitely giving me a cold shoulder. He even skipped dinner again just like yesterday.” Nari sulked and hugged his pillow tighter. “In my opinion, it IS fair!” Sehun retorted and sat up in the same bed. He was lying down earlier while listening to her long rant. “What’s fair with that?!” Nari yelled back. Sehun pinched the bridge of his nose and rolled his eyes to his best friend that can really be a handful sometimes.

 

“Listen here, according to your story, you were always ‘just’ hanging around with Lay-hyung since he’s busy enough to accompany you. Don’t you think it’s enough reason for him to get jealous? although he is his friend, he is still a man, a capable one to steal you from him, in his or in a man’s perspective, that is possible. As the husband, it’s already a shame to him that he couldn’t give enough time for you, that is why you’re spending it with someone else. You’re also not telling him the reason why you always come there in Lay hyung’s house which is to learn recipes for this husband of yours.” Nari started pouting as he listens to her bestfriend’s every word.

“Next, you said you rarely spend meal time together like you used to, right? And you even have the guts to eat with someone else? If you’ll tell him you ate alone because you got hungry all of a sudden and couldn’t wait for him anymore, he’ll even pity you for that, but eating with someone else instead of him, you’re indeed digging your own grave. Remember when he was just an annoying bug in our life? He always seeks and wants your attention for himself, and he hated me hanging around with you although we are best of friends. Another thing, you told me you just simply avoid his hugs afraid to get caught that you are pregnant. Do you really think he hasn’t noticed that? He only sees you at night and all he wanted was to finally have you in his arms. And avoiding it for no apparent reason is enough for him to feel this way. Even I, would do the same. Most of all, aren’t you going a bit too far in hiding that to him? everyone else knows about it and yet, the father doesn’t. That’s so cruel to me, Nana. No matter what you say now to depend this issue, to me, you’re still the one who’s not fair to him. I don’t really like him, but as a man, I’m sorry Nana, but I’m on his side. You should have gone to Eunji instead, maybe she’ll take your side. She’s too dumb to think it rationally anyway.” Sehun lay back down and stole his pillow from her arms.

“You brought your car right? Then go home now. I’m going to back to sleep.”

“Fine, tomorrow since it’s Saturday, let me see Sunwoo and Mina since I can’t bother them now at this late hour. I kinda miss them.”
 

“Got it. Just go now, you’ve disturbed me enough.”

“Wow, Sehun. I want to ask myself now, why I even treated you as best among all my good friends, tsk.”

“Just go. And stop this nonsense already. Just stop keeping secrets, that’s the only way to solve it.”

 

 

 


 

 

 

After doing chores, Nari went to their own library to find a new book to read. When Luhan gave her the house, there’s already a small library inside full of fiction books. Although it is full of fiction books that Nari loves to read, there are still some reference books she may need and entertaining ones. There is also a corner for Luhan and books related to his job in managing their business and related in medicines since his family runs several hospitals everywhere in the world. There is also an empty wide shelf beside Luhan’s corner and they aren’t planning to fill it up yet, they are waiting for the owner to place there his or her choice of books once he or she came in their life.

Nari always smile every time she sets her eyes on it and will immediately places her thin delicate hands on the surface of her stomach. “I hope you’ll like fictions too. I can tell them all to you detail by detail without even looking at the books, you know. And I’ll make the bedtime stories more interesting, look forward to mommy’s amazing storytelling skills.” she rubs her tummy and giggled, she then went back in picking a new book to read.

 

 

~~~

 

Nari didn’t even noticed that it’s getting dark outside as they have an automatic lights on the library that would turn on when someone’s inside and will adjust itself to darkness. She was too engrossed in reading a Greek mythology-based novel. She only got interrupted when a light coming from the window distracted her and she heard the familiar sound of an engine. “Oh my god, he’s here!” Nari hugged her book and immediately ran downstairs.

 

“Good evening.” She greeted him on the door with a smile while panting. Luhan took off his shoes and walk pass her. Nari hugged her book and slowly follows him to their room while taking a deep breath. “Uhm.. I was in the library and didn’t notice the time, so I haven’t cooked anything yet. What would you like for dinner?”

“I already ate outside.” Luhan answered while taking off his coat. “Then.. you… you’re not going to eat with me… again?” Nari still kept her smile but her eyes were slowly getting moist. “Yes.”

Nari watched him walks to the bathroom and with a heavy heart. Her tears were visible now, as he is already out of sight. Nari looks down on and her eyes landed on the book she was hugging. “oh, I’m sorry.” Her tears fell on it, slightly soaking it so she quickly turns around to put it back to the library.

 

~~~

 

“Hello?”

“Yixing-ge..” Lay’s brows furrowed. She doesn’t sound the same. When she uttered his name, her voice was shaking. “Did you already eat? There is a new restaurant I want to try..” Lay turns to his kitchen, he already cooked his food and he’s about to eat it when Nari called but hearing her sounding like this, he doesn’t want to disappoint her more. “No, not yet. What kind of restaurant is it? Where should we meet?”

“I’m on my way now to your house, probably be there in 10 minutes or so.. I’ll just pick you up. It’s a seafood restaurant in Busan..” Lay heard her sniffling while talking. He was sure that she was just acting cheerful eventhough she was crying. So, he also acted like he’s not noticing it.

“Busan..? Isn’t that a bit far? It’s already late. What about Luhan?”

“I know… I just want to get away from him for a while, so can you go with me?”

“Sure, I’ll get myself ready.”

“Okay. Thanks ge. I’ll be there in—“

Lay heard a rasping sound followed by a crash before the line got cut off completely.

“Nari? Nari? NARI!”

 

 

~~~~

 

Luhan didn’t even bother to get himself ready as he rushed to the hospital when he got a call from his best friend. Luhan arrived in the hospital with messy hair, wearing a simple gray sweat pants and a white shirt, and also barefoot. 

“Lay.” He stops when he spotted him and rested his hands on his knees to catch his breath. He looks up and saw Lay walking closer. “What hap—“ he got cut off when Lay threw a hard punch on his face. He immediately met the cold floor. “What do you think you’re doing?!” Lay kneeled beside him and grab the front of his shirt. “If something happens to them, it’s your fault. Don’t blame anyone on this!” Lay pushed him back and stood up about to leave.

 

Luhan quickly pulled himself up, not minding the pain in his cheek. “Lay.. what happened?” he calmly, almost begging on him as he spoke. Lay didn’t faced him but he halted. “Your wife got in a car accident on her way to my house. She said she wanted to get away from you for a while. I didn’t know if you two got into a fight, but she was crying as she speaks to me on the phone.” Lay then finally turns to him and heaved a sigh. “Luhan, there’s something you should know and something you should worry by now. She wanted to tell it to you herself on your fourth wedding anniversary and told me to just let you noticed it yourself. But now that the baby is in danger, I guess it’s time for you to know.”

“baby?” Luhan echoed in a low voice, eyes widened in surprised. “Luhan..” Lay looked at him seriously. “Your wife is carrying your child for two months now. She wanted to keep it from you, but everytime she speaks about telling it to you and imagining how your expression would be, she was extremely happy.”

Lay walked to his side and pats his shoulder. “I’m sorry for punching you suddenly, but I’m sure you know you deserved it. I'll be back later.” And then Lay left him to be alone with himself.

 

 

 

“URG!” Luhan punch the wall with his right fist as hard as he can that probably broke some part of his bones but he doesn’t care. He’s hurting even more inside.

If something happens to both of them.. he could only blame himself. It was his fault that it happened.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Author’s note: PLEASE READ, IMPORTANT :)

 

I kept on changing point of views.. was it a burden to you guys?

 

I was just wondering, would you like a drama in here?

A little drama.. I think will make it more interesting. ..

 

Or

 

do you want this to remain just lovey dovey kind? And have their peaceful life?

 

Please voice out your thoughts so I can start in the next update. :) I’ll wait for your comments.

 

To spill the beans, I was thinking of killing the child. Hahahahahaha am I too harsh? XD

well I just think, it’ll strengthen their bond and will make them more matured in facing marriage life because up till now, as you can see, Luhan is still immature haha.. and ofcourse, it won’t be that tragic and still have happy ending. :)