v. Paper Hearts

Subtle Touches - A Jeongcheol Fanfic Collection

 

Remember the way you made me feel

Such young love but

Something in me knew that it was real

 

Jeonghan sat at his sofa in his apartment. Working at the bookstore really took a toll on his health.He sighed as he made his way to the small kitchen to try to make some dinner but he settled with ramen again, for the 4th straight time this week. He grabbed the pot and settled it at the center of the depressingly empty dinner table. He grabbed a bowl and scooped some rice, got his chopsticks and started to eat. It’s been his routine for four years: wake up, try to eat, bathe, go to work, eat dinner, sleep. Sometimes he’d go out with his friends but these days, they’ve become really busy to spend time with him. It’s been four years since he started eating alone. It’s been four years since he and Seungcheol separated. He knew he was the one who asked for the separation but he expected Seungcheol to stay, he didn’t expect Seungcheol to just turn away. He thought Seungcheol would stay, ask him what’s wrong, but he didn’t.

Unlike Seungcheol, Jeonghan knew when everything went wrong. It was when they both lost the time. They lost the time to talk, Seungcheol focused too much on work. Jeonghan knew it was for their future, but as a partner, you’d always want your other half to have time for you right? Jeonghan knows it’s selfish but there were times when he wished Seungcheol didn’t have to go home so late, when Seungcheol didn’t have to leave early in the morning. He missed Seungcheol’s presence. And one day when Seungcheol exploded, his kept feelings exploded too. That’s when they started to fight.

Jeonghan reached for the medicine cabinet and grabbed the bottle of pills. It was for his disease, an illness he got from the stress of fighting with Seungcheol. Of course, he told Seungcheol about it, but he didn’t believe it. Jeonghan was hurt but he continued on with his treatment and he only stopped when—

 

*kring*

 

The phone rang and Jeonghan immediately answered it.

 

“Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!” a cute little voice answered the call.

 

Jeonghan smiled, at times like this only his son’s voice and laughter made his day.

 

“Yes Chan. How’s your day? Did you do well in school?” Jeonghan asked.

 

“Yesss daaad! I got a lot of stars! I also got a perfet score in the penmanship practice! OOOh. Dad~~~~ I have a problem.” Chan said.

 

“What is it, baby?” Jeonghan asked.

 

“Well you see I have an assignment. I need to make a family tree but I don’t have a picture of my other dad. What am I gonna do?” Chan sounded worried,

 

“D-don’t w-worry. I’ll try to find some pictures,” Jeonghan stuttered.

 

Yaaaaay! You’re the best! ooooooooooooh! I’m going there on Valentine’s right?” Chan said excitedly.

 

“ Yup! Dad is so excited to see you! What do you want when you get here?” Jeonghan asked his son.

 

“Hmmmm… your infamous kimchi soup!” Chan cheered.

 

“Okay. Okay. I’ll make it for you, where’s Grandma and Grandpa?” Jeonghan asked.

 

“Grandma is cooking our dinner and Grandpa is feeding Chow-chow. Do you want me to call them?” Chan asked.

 

“No, they’re busy. I’ll just call again later. Be a good boy to your Grandma and Grandpa, understand?” Jeonghan said.

 

“Yes dad!” Chan said.

 

“Okay. I’m hanging up.” Jeonghan said and ended the call.

 

Chan is his 4 year old son. It was a month after the final divorce papers where signed and approved that he and his parents noticed the changes in his physique and behavior. When he got checked, it was discovered that he was pregnant. Instead of being sad, Jeonghan was excited at the idea of becoming a parent. It was his dream. His parents supported him but they insisted on letting Seungcheol know about his child in which Jeonghan strongly refused. He didn’t want Seungcheol to be forced on their marriage just because of the child that he’s bearing. So for nine months, Jeonghan bore his and Seungcheol’s child. Jeonghan had a very sensitive pregnancy especially because of his condition but he went through it and Yoon Chan was born.  Jeonghan decided to leave Chan in his parent’s house at Ilsan when the lad was 2 years old for Jeonghan to work in Seoul. He would occasionally visit the kid on holidays or the kid would. Chan was curious for a 4 year-old. He knew he had two dads and he loved the idea. He never asked about his other dad though, for which Jeonghan is thankful for. Well, Chan never asked about Seungcheol until tonight.

Jeonghan knew a time like this would come, he just didn’t expect it to be sooner.

 

Pictures I’m living through for now

Trying to remember all the good times

Our life was cutting through so loud

Memories are playing in my dull mind

I hate this part paper hearts

And I’ll hold a piece of yours

Don’t think I would just forget about it

Hoping that you won’t forget about it

 

Jeonghan cleaned up after finishing the bowl of ramen and went to his room.

His room was simple. A single bed, a study table and a cabinet for his clothes.

On his table were a picture of him and Chan, a picture of him and his parents with 3 year-old Chan.

And a picture of his wedding with Seungcheol, one of the few that he saved when he left the shared apartment that they once called home.

 

Jeonghan reached under his bed and found his little shoe box. He looked at it tenderly and opened it.

Inside were a lot of random things, from chocolate candy wrappers to coffee holders to rose petals. Inside the shoe box was Seungcheol. Atleast, everything that reminded him of his husband. His friends advised him to burn it but he couldn’t bring himself to do so.

 

Rummaging through the box, he found the little red pouch. He opened it and let the ring drop to his palm. It was his wedding ring. As much as he couldn’t throw the shoe box away, it was even hard to stop himself from wearing the simple, silver ring. In fact, he wore it for almost a year after they had been divorced and only stopped wearing it when one day he realized, Seungcheol isn’t coming back.

 

He ruffled through the random things in the box and found the envelope that contained polaroids that were once their favorite past time. He looked through each of the pictures and unknowingly, tears streamed down his cheeks.

 

I live through pictures as if I was right there by your side.

 

Jeonghan wiped his tears and calmed himself down. This won’t do, he thought.

Tucking the memories of Choi Seungcheol back to its shoe box again , Jeonghan curled to sleep.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hi~ Do listen to Paper Hearts while readng this~ Jungkook covered this~~ lalalala~ 

So yup, this is the part two of the On Rainy Days shot a couple of weeks ago. It's just a lot of people were asking for a sequel and an idea came up so I decided to write~ ^^