Chapter Three

Determined
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

First week of high school...

Donghae looked at Kyuhyun strangely.

"Hmm?" Kyuhyun asked without turning, knowing instinctively that Donghae was looking at him.

"Did something good happen?"

"No, not really. Why'd you ask?" Kyuhyun replied, this time looking at Donghae properly.

"...dunno. You just look really happy, and that's not normal for you." Donghae shrugged.

They were currently hanging out at the cafeteria, waiting for the bell to ring. Their teacher for that period let them out early, seeing as it was their only first meeting and all. After the syllabus was distributed and explained, the students were free to go.

That was actually their last class for the day and both Kyuhyun and Donghae could go home anytime. However, they had no choice but to stay as the club membership registrations were scheduled that day, in the afternoon.

Kyuhyun was about to answer Donghae when the bell suddenly rang, signaling the end of the current class period. He stood up immediately, grabbing his bag and heading off towards the club rooms.

Surprised, Donghae hastened to follow him, thankfully managing to catch up to Kyuhyun's long strides.

"You're really excited about the club registration, aren't you?" Donghae asked him, smiling a little. This was the first time that he had seen Kyuhyun giving off such positive vibes ever since they met and became friends at the start of the week.

"I am." Kyuhyun answered, voice sounding a little lighter than usual.

"You like music that much?" Donghae asked. He could understand his friend's current mood; he, on the other hand, loved dancing and was exceptional at it.

"I do. But there's another reason that I'm looking forward to joining this club." Kyuhyun replied.

"Oh, what is it?" Donghae said, tilting his head curiously at Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun smiled this time, surprising Donghae further. "Not what, but who."

Stopping in front of the school's music club room, Kyuhyun turned to Donghae, who was looking questioningly at him.

"I'll tell you later what this is about. You should go to your dance club." Kyuhyun answered the unasked question.

"Alright." Donghae nodded, still looking curious but was willing to let Kyuhyun go for now. "Good luck!" he said, giving Kyuhyun a salute.

Kyuhyun saluted back. "And to you too. Not that we both need it." he added, and Donghae, who had already turned around, laughed at the answer.

"If you say so." Donghae said over his shoulder.

Kyuhyun laughed a little as well before turning to face the closed doors that had been his goal for the past year.

I'm finally here.

Taking a deep breath, Kyuhyun pushed open the doors, willing his heart to stop beating so fast.

As his sight was filled with countless students milling around the large club room, Kyuhyun began to smile once again, hope rising in his heart.

~*~

"You're Cho Kyuhyun, right? Please feel free to go to the registration booth anytime." A slightly chubby guy with spiked up hair, who introduced himself as Huh Gak, gestured to the table on one side of the room.

"I will, later." Kyuhyun replied a little bit absentmindedly. He was too busy looking around the large room, hoping to see the mysterious singer.

"Hey," Kyuhyun began, "is everyone from the club going to attend this event?"

"Yeah, attendance is a must for the members today. Why, are you looking for someone in particular?" Huh Gak replied.

"Yep, an old friend of mine."

"Hmmm, last time I checked, almost everyone's here already. Do you need any help looking for your friend?" Huh Gak offered.

"No th – Oh," Kyuhyun paused, "where do the vocalists usually hang out?"

"Vocalists? Let me see." Huh Gak scanned the room for a long while (there were that many students milling around the room) "Most of our male vocalists are over there. Is your friend a girl?"

Kyuhyun immediately turned towards the place Huh Gak was pointing to. There, forming a rather large group were a bunch of guys talking around and laughing.

"A guy." Kyuhyun answered absentmindedly.

"That's good, then. He's probably somewhere there. Do you want me to introduce you to them?"

"Thanks, but I think I'll be fine on my own." Kyuhyun turned down the offer, not wanting to immediately draw attention to himself. He'd rather observe the group quietly first, to see if the singer really was among them.

"If you say so." Huh Gak shrugged. "Hey, looks like I'm already needed in the booth. See you later, alright?"

"Sure, thanks."

"Don't forget to fill up the registration form!" Huh Gak reminded him, and Kyuhyun gave a short nod.

As soon as Huh Gak turned away, Kyuhyun began to move closer to the group of seniors. Wanting to be inconspicuous, he chose to stand next to the food-laden buffet table that was laid in the center of the room. He stayed in a spot where he was close enough to see the faces of everyone in the group, but far enough that they wouldn't notice him staring at them.

Bringing a cup of tea to his lips,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter