Love and Justice

Love and Justice

Chapter 2 

 

“Jaejoong, are you alright?!” Hyunjoong cried out in concern. He hurriedly pulled out his black handkerchief and blotted the stain on the carpet while looking at his brother anxiously. 

 

“Leave it. The company pays enough for the cleaning people. They will take care of it.” Jaejoong walked towards his full-length window and looked down at the bustling people on the street. Window. A most wanted commodity by the lawyer in this office. The saying goes that if you got an office with a window then you have got it made. Jaejoong never cared about any of that, all he wanted to do was bury himself in work and forget. It can’t be her. This was just some weird coincidence. What are the odds that...? No, it can’t be her. 

 

Hyunjoong stared at his brother’s impassive oval-shaped face, wondering what was up, “Look, I know you are busy and I wouldn’t bother you if it wasn’t necessary. Just give me a name and I will be out of your hair.” He longed to have his old brother back. Jaejoong had changed so much since he left Tokyo. Everyone knew something happened but no one ever found out what. All the family knew was since that time; Jaejoong had secluded himself and had become tougher and more driven than ever before. 

 

“I'm sorry about that Hyunjoong.” Jaejoong decided to forget hearing that name and move on, “You will never ever be a bother to me.” He smiled at his brother fondly and then scribbled some information on a piece of paper, “Shim Changmin is one of the best defense lawyers out there. Just tell him who you are and he will clear his schedule to help you.” 

 

Hyunjoong reached out for the paper and said, “Thanks Jaejoong. I knew I could count on you.” He gave his brother a questioning look when the paper wasn’t released. 

 

“Hyunjoong, I want you to carefully consider what you are doing. Dad wouldn't be pleased if he found out that you have associated yourself with a girl who has a questionable reputation and I’m worried about you, too. I don’t want you to get hurt.” Jaejoong advised, while the tell tale end of his sentence echoed in his head, ‘Like I was.’ 

 

“I’m not worried about dad not being pleased. Nothing I do ever pleases him anyway.” Hyunjoong said bitterly, “And don’t worry about me. In case you haven’t noticed, I’m a big boy now. Thanks again Jaejoong. I will see you tonight.” 

 

It was almost 8 and Jaejoong was hurrying towards the party. His dad was a stickler for punctuality and Jaejoong was in no mood for anymore lectures tonight. He barely got there in time and his dad was instantly on his cases. 

 

“I thought you were going to be late.” Mr. Kim said, by way of greeting. 

 

“I know better that to let that happen. Where’s mom and Hyunjoong?” 

 

“They are both here somewhere. Come on, I want to introduce you to some important people.” 

 

“Congratulations Jaejoong. I heard you just won another case. It was all over the evening news.” A distinguished looking gentleman approached them. 

 

Jaejoong gave his first genuine smile since stepping into the restaurant, “Mr. Lee, thank you. How are you?” Out of all his dad’s business associates, he had always liked Mr. Lee’s no nonsense, down-to-earth attitude the best. Nothing much goes by this astute high-powered businessman. 

 

“Doing well for an old coot like me. Thank you for asking. Youngjoon, you should be proud of your son. His efforts in behalf of this city allow me to feel safer and sleep better at night.” 

 

“What kind of future will he have working for the state? They hardly pay him anything and work him too hard. He should come back and help in the business. What’s the uses of building a legacy if your own son isn’t even interested in it?” Mr. Kim had the right to belittle the $131,990 annual salary his son was earning. After all, he owned one of the largest laundry businesses in Seoul and his annual gross income was well over the 8 digit mark, “Dad, I told you that I like what I do and nothing can change that and you still have Hyunjoong.” Jaejoong started the old argument again. 

 

“Not in front of other people.” Mr. Kim warned. He smiled at Mr. Lee apologetically, “My son argues in court the whole day and he forgets that he is actually speaking to his dad now and shouldn't argue.” 

 

Mr. Lee went along with the excuses and laughed, “Boys will always be boys but your son is right, you know? Hyunjoong is a fine young man too, and has a quick mind for business.” 

 

“Ha! He is second born. This business has been passed down for two generations, always from the first-born son to the next first-born son. Hyunjoong might be good but he will never take over Jaejoong’s place.” 

 

Jaejoong and Mr. Lee’s expressions warned Mr. Kim that something wasn't right. He turned around saw his other son’s stricken look. Hyunjoong turned around and walked furiously towards the exit. 

 

“Hyunjoong, wait.” Jaejoong gave his dad a disgusted look before going after his brother, “Hey, wait up.” He called again. 

 

Hyunjoong wouldn't have stopped for anyone else but he couldn’t ignore his brother, “I guess I have been fighting a losing battle this whole time.” He said, when Jaejoong got close enough, “All I have ever wanted was for dad to be proud of me for a change. I tried to be as good as you are and I tried to be there for him. Now, I know I will always be second best in everything, just like I’m a second son.” 

 

Jaejoong put a consoling arm around his brother, “Don’t be like this Hyunjoong. We know that dad loves you but he just has some outdated notions in his head. He will come around and accept the way things are.” 

 

“That’s easy for you to say. You have always been the apple of dad’s eyes. Always excelled at whatever you chose to do. You have probably never failed at anything either, have you?” Jaejoong's face paled. Yes, he has failed. He failed at the most important thing in his life. Hyunjoong continued without noticing the effect of his words on his brother, “Look, I'm sorry for attacking you like this Hyung. You don’t deserve that.” 

 

“Don’t think anything of it. You want to come over and stay at my place tonight? We can play cards all night like we used to.” 

 

“Thank you but no, not this time.” Hyunjoong started walking away. 

 

“Where are you going?” 

 

“I need time alone. I think it’s about time for me to seriously consider what I should do from now on.” Hyunjoong's dark brown, almond-shaped eyes were shinning with unshed tears as he looked at his brother, “I have been such a fool in trying to gain acceptance from a man who would never acknowledge me as an individual. Sorry Jaejoong, I tried. Its time to move on.” 

 

“Hyunjoong.” 

 

“I will keep in touch Hyung. Don’t worry.” 

 

Jaejoong massaged his head as the pressures from work and home got to him. He leaned back on his chair and initiated his own therapy to eases his aching head. He closed his eyes and imagined a lust green forest where no human had ever contaminated. He slowly added details to the woodland. One by one, the leaves of the trees took shape, the wind blew and the play of sunshine and shadow changed the effect of the hues and colors of the pristine surroundings, a bubbly brook splashed merrily and soon, Jaejoong could almost smell fresh air, “Jaejoong, we have got an emergency. Sooyoung got sick and she was supposed to handle an arraignment at the district court in 3 hours time. I checked the slate and you are the only one who’s free at that time. Here are the records and good luck.” The messenger dropped a bunch of folders on Jaejoong's desk and hurried out of the room. The messenger wasn’t a fool, experience have taught him that the carrier of bad news was often shot, rhetorically speaking of course. 

 

Jaejoong sighed. There goes his scheduled research time. He opened the top folder and took a quick glance at the name of the case. People vs Tiffany Hwang. 

 

Jaejoong's imaginary peaceful forest turned into a raging inferno.