Love and Justice

Love and Justice

Chapter 1 

 

“Rain. More rain. I hate the rain.” Kim Jaejoong mumbled to himself, as he drove along the streets of Seoul. He’s had a grueling day at court; the perpetrator he was prosecuting almost got away from justice due to some minor technicalities but Jaejoong wasn't the youngest, most talented lawyer in South Korea for nothing. His photographic memory didn’t let him down; he was able to recall some obscure law that managed to overturn the defendant’s case. All he wanted to do now was to get back to his office, have a drink and unwind a little bit before tackling his next litigation. 

 

“Mr. Kim, your dad’s on the line for you.” His assistant, Sunny Lee, called out, the minute he walked into the law firm. 

 

Jaejoong could feel his broad shoulders tensing up, “Tell him I will call him back.” 'On second thought, might as well get it over with.' “I changed my mind, please transfer the call to my office.” 

 

“Hi dad.” Jaejoong said wearily, as he looked longingly at his liquor cabinet, “Yes, I understand.” Another dreaded social party, “But dad, we have been over this before. I have no interests in business, I'm a lawyer. Why don’t you ask Hyunjoong to go instead?” Jaejoong pulled the phone away from his ear, “But he’s your son, too.” He dared to argue, “Fine fine, I will see you tonight at 8.” 

 

Jaejoong rolled his shoulders to ease the tension and got himself a stiff drink. He wondered when he had be able to get his dad to understand that he would never go back to the business world. For heaven’s sake, he’s almost thirty years old and his dad still treated him like a kid sometimes and he still couldn’t understand why his dad refuses to just let his younger half-brother take over their business. Hyunjoong was competent enough and moreover, he thrived and enjoyed the business world. As if thinking of someone could conjure that person up, his intercom came on, “Mr. Kim, your brother is here to see you.” 

 

The two clasped each other’s shoulders in way of greeting. Kim Hyunjoong, younger than Jaejoong by 3 years, had always been close to his older brother. No run-of-the-mill half-brother sibling rivalry here. Hyunjoong worshipped his older brother while Jaejoong had always loved and protected his younger brother. Their dad had remarried after Jaejoong's mom had passed away. His step-mom was a little on the flaky side so Jaejoong took it upon himself to take care of Hyunjoong but lately, it seemed like even if they lived in the same city, they hardly had time for each other anymore so this surprised visit was really...well, a surprised. 

 

“I just saw you on the news. Another high profile case under your belt.” Hyunjoong smiled, “I’m proud of you Hyung.” 

 

“Thanks. Want a drink?” Jaejoong offered. His lawyer-trained hazel brown cresent-shaped eyes detected an underlying tension in his brother, “How have you been? Working hard with dad?” He handed a glass of whiskey to his brother. 

 

A look of pain flashed across Hyunjoong's heart-shaped face, “Fine, I guess. Has dad called you about the party tonight?” He knew that he could never be as good as his brother in his dad’s eyes. 

 

“Yeah. I don’t really want to go.” Jaejoong's mind cleared. That was probably the reason why his brother was stressed. 

 

“Jaejoong, actually, I came here for another reason.” Hyunjoong fidgeted with his brother’s pen that was lying on the desk. 

 

“Oh?” 

 

“My girlfriend has been arrested. I know you are a prosecution attorney but I was hoping that you could recommend someone who could handle her defense.” 

 

“Probably.” Jaejoong looked at his brother curiously. Since when did the kid start having a girlfriend? Wait a minute. A girlfriend who’s in trouble with the law? This wasn't good, “Since when did you start associating with criminals? What’s she in for anyway?” 

 

Hyunjoong stood up and almost decked his brother, “She isn't a criminal. She was framed.” 

 

“Framed? What are you talking about?” Jaejoong's thick eyebrows furrowed. This sounded serious. 

 

“Fany was arrested for murder last night.” 

 

“Fany?” 

 

“Tiffany Hwang, my girlfriend.” 

 

Jaejoong's felt his whole body go numb. The drink that he had barely touched fell to the floor slowly, seeping into the carpet.