Family Trip

Forbidden Ways

A week passed and during the week she had been keeping her phone on her at all times, expecting some kind of message or call from Shownu. At times she thought she was being stupid so she would throw her phone away somewhere but she would quickly pick it back up again. She cursed herself for expecting a message from the boy she disliked. 

After the week of frustration (at him and herself), she decided to give Jungkook a visit. She was wondering how he was doing after she left that day and apparently he had been fine. "I'm fine, Piyoon. No one has caught me."

"Don't jinx yourself," she said. "I can't believe I'm letting you do this. This is so dangerous and you're only one Sapphire."

Jungkook placed his hand on hers that was resting on her lap. "I'll be fine. You don't have to worry about me. You shouldn't worry about me."
She looked at him in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"...I mean, you should find your Sapphire and leave me be. I wasn't your Sapphire to start with. I'm just someone else's that has been..." He trailed off. He felt an intense amount of betrayal and sadness from her.

She pulled her hand away from his. "Even after everything, you still push me away. I told you plenty of times, I don't care if you're abandoned. I don't care what you were before you met me. How can you be so selfish? I will never leave you alone so please don't say that again." She stood up but refused to look at him. "I'll be on vacation with my family. I don't know when I'll be able to see you again. Your place isn't too far from here so I won't see you off. Bye Jungkook." She walked off, not hearing a word from him.

 

"Are you ready?" Taerin yelled from inside the truck. The reason why she was yelling was because Piyoon, Suga and Jimin were sitting outside in the back of their pickup truck. Their five seater could not fit all six of them so Yongil finally pulled out the old truck from the garage. It was very old but it still had the power to drive and he didn't have the courage to dump it in the waste yard. Taerin always nagged about how the truck took so much space in the garage. This time, it was out to good use but the only downside is, there were only three seats in the truck. Piyoon refused to sit inside there because it smelled weird and the windows refused to open. It was only the small window that opened to the back of the truck but what circulation did that allow?

The three youngest sat in the back of the truck with their backs leaning against the rear window. "Can you cut me some slack?" she nudged the Sapphire on her right. Jimin released some tension on the rope he held to. She was sitting in the middle of the two Sapphires and was held down by a rope that was tied to the their waist. It acted as her seatbelt. As if her parents allowed her to sit out there without some kind of protection. "Yeah, mom. We're all good back here."

"Then, let's go!" Her dad backed the truck out of the garage and then drove down the road. Five minutes into the ride she regretted offering to sit back there. First, her hair was flying everywhere and she didn't have her hair tie with her. Second, everyone was staring at them - people on the streets, cars beside them and cars right behind them. Third, most of them were cute boys who laughed to their other cute friends. She let out a big sigh as she tried to comb her hair down at a stop light. Apparently, sitting in the back of a truck was legal (she checked).

Jimin got up from his spot, grabbed her bag before throwing it at her and sat back down, tightening the rope. "Seriously, get that hair of yours tamed. It's embarrassing." 

She rolled her eyes and dug through her bag to find her hair tie. "Why should you be embarrassed? I am the one who's embarrassed." 

"There are cute girls out here." Piyoon was in the middle of tying her hair when she stopped and stared at him in disbelief. "Gross? You're a - oh my God, mom!" She turned around to snitch but he quickly threw his arm around her shoulder and put her in a headlock. "I was only trying to make you laugh!" he whispered harshly.

"More like vomit in my mouth! Ugh, let go! You're so embarrassing, ou giant carrot top!"

"Carrot top?" He tightened his hold a bit more but she bit him on the hand and he immediately let go. She leaned against Suga who was watching them with an amused smile. "Are you a freaking dog? Why did you bite me?!"

"Well, why did you put me in a headlock? I could have suffocated between that and your orange hair!"

"Wha-what's with you and my hair?!"

"Everything! It's a freaking highlighter! I liked your red hair better."

"You said my red hair made me look like a clown!"

"Yeah, but I prefer clowns than carrots!"

The window to the back window slammed open, making them jump. "I can hear you from inside the car! You're embarrassing me!" Taerin yelled. Piyoon took a look around. Anyone that wasn't staring at them was definitely staring now. She groaned and hid her face against Suga's arm while Jimin huffed and fixed his sunglasses.

"At least they're back to normal," Riley commented. "I think this vacation will do them good." 

"Piyoon, straighten up, we're going," her dad said. Jimin gently pulled her upright and adjusted the rope on her waist before her dad pumped the gas pedal.

It wasn't long before they escaped the city and drove on empty roads. Every year the family would escape the city and just enjoy nature away from city lights and noise. Their vacation used to be a technology free zone but now that technology has become a huge part of their life, they allowed it. It wasn't really for Piyoon's sake but for her parents who were constantly checking their phones for news or anything work related. Every vacation they would pick somewhere new to go. The previous year, they were at a tourist location where it mimicked the time where there was barely any electricity and technology. It was a very interesting place to be, especially when Yongil and Taerin tried to challenge themselves by holding back on their technology. It was Taerin that failed the challenge. 

This year, they decided to camp at a camping ground. It had been a while since they camped so they made it easier for themselves to book a place with a group of other campers with a cabin and after an hour of driving, they reached their destination.

Piyoon sleeping was on Suga's shoulder when she was woken up by the jerk of the truck. "We're here," Jimin announced, untying the rope from his waist and jumped down the trunk. She looked around, still half awake before stretching her limbs. She felt a hand run down her hair that came loose from the hair tie and looked up. Suga smiled at her and she smiled back.

"Come on you two," her dad said, opening the trunk. "We gotta sign in and move our things into the cabin. We're sharing with another family so please make a good impression of yourself."

The two got out of the trunk and grabbed their things. It was a pretty nice place they rented out. They were surround by beautiful trees and the three rows of cabins that were side by side that were beautiful and large. She headed inside the cabin with Suga and hung open in amazement. How could a cabin look like a million dollar house on the inside? The interior had a cabin like finish (of course) with amazing interior decorating. It even had a chandelier hanging in the middle of the high ceiling room. 

"Hi!" She looked up at the sound of a happy boy. When she looked up, automatically hung open. Like the house, this boy was beautiful. He was tall with platinum blonde hair that suited him well with his nice, soft features. He also had an amazing smile. "My name is Jin. What's yours?" He stretched out his arm for her to shake his hand. "Uh...Piyoon!" she managed to stutter out before grabbing his hand. "Cool name," he said and she stared at him in, once again, amazement. He looked to Suga who was just behind her. "Hey, how are you?" He let go of her hand, to her dismay, and stretched his hand to Suga. "Yoongi."

"Oh, you must be-" he was cut off when someone called loudly, "Suga!" They looked up the stairs to see a boy with blazing red hair with a huge grin on his face. The other stared in surprise, not believing they'd meet again. V ran down the steps and hugged him tight. "I can't believe I get to see you again!"

The two humans looked at each other before watching the Sapphires reunite. V let go of the smaller boy and scanned his face. "You're still the same."

"And you're still loud," he said but still with a bit of affection for his friend. 

He turned to Jin with a large smile that was uniquely rectangular. "Jin!"

The boy turned to Piyoon. "This is my Sapphire, V." V looked at Piyoon excitedly and nodded in encouragement. "Uh, this is Suga. My Sapphire."

V giggled before excitedly saying, "Suga was my first friend in the Facility! I was sent to halfway across the globe but he was still here and I can't believe we get to meet each other again. This is such a small world! Wow! Oh my gosh!" Piyoon looked at Jin who made eye contact with her before they started laughing. He was waiting for the two of them to acknowledge their Sapphires so he could speak about his friend. And he was pretty excited about it, too.

"It seems like you already made a new friend." They turned around to see her parents, their Sapphires and presumably Jin's parents. "Hello, how are you?" Jin polietly greeted.

"Oh, very wonderful," her mom responded. "Thank you for asking. And I'm glad you're warming up to my daughter and her Sapphire. But Piyoon, you need to unpack your bags. There's a camp meeting in an hour."

"Okay," she said before grabbing her suitcase. She dragged it to the staircase but before she could lift it up, Jin took it from her. "Do you mind?" he asked and she shook her head. "Not at all..." He flashed her a smile before heading up the stairs with her luggage. She smiled dreamily before following him. They reached the room at the end of the hall and entered it. As expected, the room was big and pretty. He set the suitcase down and looked around. "Your room is pretty amazing." 

"Yeah," she answered, taking a seat on her queen sized bed. "It looks really nice."

"Is it your first time here?" he asked and she nodded. "It's my third time here," he said before she could even ask. "And I'm assuming the two beside your parents are their Sapphires?" Piyoon hesitated on that once.

"If it makes you feel any better, I don't have a dad. That man beside my mom is her Sapphire. He's been taking care of me ever since my dad left."

"Oh...sorry - I didn't mean to -"

"It's fine," he said with a smile and a shrug. "It doesn't bother me when I talk about it. Her Sapphire is like a dad to me anyway. Except for the fact that they can't love."

She blushed. "Right..."

"Do you need to unpack? I'll go downstairs."

"I'll go with you," she said, standing up. "I don't have to unpack right away. I don't have a lot of things anyway." He shrugged and headed downstairs with her trailing behind. Their two Sapphires were still on the living room couch chatting up a storm. Well, V was. 
"Is he overwhelming you?" Jin asked, ruffling his red hair before taking a seat beside him. Suga shrugged and watched Piyoon sit to his left before replying, "I was used to it." So the four listened to V talk while they waited for the others to finish unpacking. 

An hour later, their parents appeared. "Okay kids, let's go out and meet the other families." They all headed out and saw a group of people in the middle of the camping grounds. There was actually quite a lot of people that were around. Her eyes wandered around, taking in the faces of these new people when she saw Namjoon in the circle. How unlucky was she? Out of all the possible places and times to camp, why were they at the same place? She was about to grab Suga's hand but Jimin had already grabbed hers and pulled her close. He didn't say a word. He was the only one who knew who Namjoon looked like.

"Hi there!" her mom called and waved. Everyone's attention went on them and she accidentally made eye contact with Namjoon. His eyes widened in surprise before he smiled in amusement. The groups started introducing themselves while Piyoon basically hid behind Jimin, not wanting to socialize with anyone who was potentially related to Namjoon. But luck was not in her hands when he appeared in front of her. "Hi."

"Hi..." she answered, refusing to look at his face.

"Come on, it's rude to not look at someone when they're talking," he said in a playful tone. "I just wanted to introduce myself." She finally looked at him and he smirked before stretching his hand towards her. "I'm Namjoon. It's nice to meet you. You are...?"

She stared at his hand before timidly grabbing it. "Piyoon..." He smiled and grabbed her hand but a bit too tight on purpose. She flinched and Jimin had to pull their hands away before Suga could do it. "Hey, back off," he warned.

Namjoon shrugged. "Name's Namjoon. Yours?" He had his hand out again. 

"Jimin. But I don't know why you want to know. We won't be talking to each other anyway." Suddenly, a hand hit him in the back of his head, making the four jump. "That's no way to speak to a neighbor!" his human yelled. "I'm so sorry, I don't know what has gotten in to him. I hope you all get along."

"Mom!" Jimin yelled, rubbing his head. 

"You, young man will be skipping out dinner today." 

"W-what? You can't do that to me! I'll die of hunger!" he complained. Today was the day the Sapphires would be able to eat with their humans, as a treat.

"Then apologize!"

Jimin made a face of disgust but nonetheless turned to Namjoon and apologized. The other laughed and waved his hand. "There was no need to apologize! I only thought you were joking!" Piyoon's lips formed a straight line. That was what she hated about him. He laughed everything off like it was no big deal.

After dinner in their respective cabins, the four families that resided in their row decided to play a game. The adults made a map and hid some items around there so the kids could go scavenger hunting. They just wanted to get rid of the young ones so they could have time to themselves.

They had to be placed in pairs but they weren't able to pick their partner. It was a game of chance and obviously Lady Luck was not on her side and decided to pair her up with her worst enemy: Namjoon. Suga was partnered up with his friend, V while Jimin was partnered up with one of the other family's daughter. She was still in high school and was absolutely smitten by Jimin and so was her twin sister who was partnered up with Jin. 

"I'll switch with you," Jimin whispered in Piyoon's ear but she declined. "I'd rather be with him than the hormonal girl who looks like she's gonna rip my head off for talking to you." She backed away and left him hanging.

"Hurry up," Namjoon complained before walking off. She rolled her eyes and caught up to him. "I heard the prize was expensive so we better find the items. I know you and I aren't on good terms but I'd like it if you just shut up and follow me while I find the items." She rolled her eyes once again. She wasn't even planning on talking to him.

Thirty minutes had passed and they already found half the things on the list. They were on their way to find their other item when she noticed they were getting further into the forest. "Uh, I don't think the item would be here," she said.

"I told you to be quiet," he replied, ducking under a branch and stepping over a rock. "I've found most of the items, right? We're on the right track."

"But it seems a bit too far from the campsite to be on the list. Let me see the map."

"Shut up and follow me!" he bellowed, making her jump. Distracted, she stepped on a large branch and tripped over it, falling on her knees. She hissed when her skin cut and blood started to run down her leg. She looked up, noticing he hadn't even stopped for her and she was not going to get lost in there because of him so she took off one sock and tried to clean as much blood as she could before catching up to him. 
For ten minutes they had been walking deeper and deeper into the woods but they had no luck finding their item. Namjoon was grumbling to himself while constantly looking at the map. "See, we're off track. Can we just head back?"

"I told you to shut up!" He finally looked back at her and the first thing he noticed was the line of dried blood that ran down her leg. "When the hell did you get that?"

"Does it matter? The bleeding already stopped. So can we go back? It's getting late and I don't think you're going to get that prize."
His eyes suddenly widened. "When I tell you to run, run."

"Huh?" She looked over her shoulder but he had already yelled and ran off. Her eyes widened when she saw a grizzly bear ten meters away. She turned back with no sight of her partner before she ran, opposite to where Namjoon was running. She ran and ran, not knowing where she was or where the bear was before she tripped on a log that sent her flying. She landed on her stomach, scraping her palms, reopening that wound and more additional cuts on her legs. Now, who thought this scavenger hunt was a good idea? Oh right, the adults.

Piyoon looked around, noticing the bear hadn't followed her but also realizing she was lost. She didn't even have her phone on her and even if she did, she was sure she wouldn't have signal with all those trees blocking the waves. She got up and sat down on the log that sent her flying. Out of anger she kicked it before taking off her other sock to absorb the blood on her leg. She sighed and looked up at the sky. The sun was going to set anytime soon so she got up and headed back to where she came from. Well, at least from where she thought she came from. 

For the next thirty minutes, she continued to walk but the sun was already setting. Soon she wouldn't be able to see where she was going. She tried to hurry her pace but then stopped when she heard someone yell. It sounded like Namjoon so she headed towards the voice. When she arrived, an amusing scene played in front of her: Namjoon was hanging on a tree, trying to scare away the bear with a branch that stared at him in curiosity. She laughed and he looked her way. "Piyoon! Thank god! Help me!"

"And why should I?" she asked.

"Because I'm going to get eaten by a bear!"

She crossed her arms and raised her brow. "Wouldn't that give me satisfaction?"

"I know we weren't on good terms but God, at least have some humanity in you!"

"You think by shattering a girl's self esteem is any better than getting eaten by a bear?"

"Look, I'm sorry, alright! Now help me!" He tried to climb higher when the bear moved closer due to his screaming. 

"It isn't very sincere. You're just apologizing so you won't die."

"Fine! I'm sorry for everything I did during high school. I was dumb and didn't realize how hurt you'd get. Happy? Now please help me!"
She sighed and shrugged. She knew it wasn't a very sincere one but she wanted to go back to the camping site before the sun sets. She grabbed a branch and threw it at the bear, waving her arms to get its attention. It was a good thing the bear was in a ditch or she would have been in trouble. "You can get down now." She watched as he climbed down and ran to her side before the bear noticed. Piyoon took out a small snack from her bag and unwrapped it before throwing it beside the bear. It took interest in the sweet snack and sniffed at it before eating. "Okay, you gave the bear food, now let's go." Namjoon went ahead and Piyoon took one last look at the big animal before following him.

They walked in silence on the way back. The only sounds were dead leaves and twigs snapping crunching under their feet. What irritated the boy was the uneven steps that was heard behind him. He finally turned around to see Piyoon lagging behind him and with a small limp. "What happened?" he sighed.

"The bear happened," she answered before passing him. "Let's hurry before the sun sets." He sighed again before grabbing her shoulder and knelt in front of her. "We won't make it back if you're slowing us down. Get on."

"You go on ahead then. The base isn't too far away," she said, refusing to get on his back. Saving him from the bear was her good deed but she didn't want anything in return. 

"Just get on while I'm being nice."

"...when were you ever nice?"

He stood up and faced her. She refused to meet his eyes. "Look, I'm sorry for everything I did during high school. I was stupid and immature and I still am now. I'll admit it, it was fun." Her hands clenched into fists. "But when we met again in the park, it didn't feel right. I went up to you because it had been so long since we saw each other and without realizing it I said those words. When I left I asked myself why did I come up to you and continue to do that? I think it was because I enjoyed your reaction but I wasn't sure. Either way, it didn't feel right at all and I reflected on it. I'm sorry about everything and I know I made your life in school the worst. I'm responsible for any emotional stress and damage you experienced and I'm sorry. I know you will never forgive me and I'm not asking you to. I just wanted you to know, that's all. Now, will you get on my back or continue to be stubborn?" He knelt down in front of her again. She hit her lip in contemplation and stared at his back. She didn't want to but now that he apologized, she did hold less of a grudge. Defeated, she got on his back. He stood up and adjusted her on his back before going forward.

"I won't forgive you," she said. "Especially when you got me into this mess in the first place."

Namjoon smiled. "I know."

Finally, they arrived at their base just the minutes after the sun set. "There they are!" Everyone rushed towards the two and he placed her down. Suga rushed towards Piyoon and enveloped her in a tight hug while Namjoon's parents yelled at him after seeing his sheepish smile. 
"You're alright," he whispered.

"Of course," she said, patting his back. He let go and scanned her face before her whole body. "What happened?"

"Piyoon!" her parents rushed over and gave her a home crushing hug. "We were so worried when you didn't come back! You must've been so scared!"

"Not really. But I am kind of sore." They let go and gasped at the many injuries she had to which she blamed it all on her partner. After everyone yelled at Namjoon, Piyoon was sitting on Jin's bed after her shower while he treated to her wounds. Apparently, he was pretty good with first aid. She watched in amazement as he disinfected the wounds and covered it with bandages. How great was it to have a handsome boy blow on your wound? "Does it hurt?" he asked.

"Huh?"

"I'm disinfecting the wounds but you're not reacting. Does it sting?" Now that he said it, it did sting. She was just distracted by his good looks that she didn't notice.

"She's just in trance with your looks," V said with a laugh. She blushed and looked away. "Haha, I'm right! She's blushing!"

"V! Don't embarrass her like that!" Jin chided before moving on to the small scratches to her face from her arms. "I'll do it!" she said, taking the ointment from him. Having him treat her arms and legs were fine but he'd be too close for comfort while working on her face. He'd be able to see every imperfection that she felt self conscious about because he had none. "So where...?" Jin pointed to where her scratches were but she always seemed to miss.

Jimin, who was leaning against the doorframe, rolled his eyes and sighed loudly before sitting next to her and grabbed the bottle of ointment. He grabbed her finger and smeared the ointment on the cut that she missed before using his ring finger to absorb it into her skin. She winced when he did so he mumbled an apology before blowing on the cut he was applying it to. He continued to apply and blow on the cuts while the four were immersed in their conversation. Finally he finished and screwed the cap on before throwing it back into the first aid box. Piyoon threw him a smile. "Thanks."

His chest throbbed once before he rolled his eyes. "Whatever." Her smile was replaced by a frown and she nudged him. Her attention went back to the conversation she was having while Jimin watched her interact with them. Unknowingly, his lips curled upwards into a fond smile.
After dinner, the four families met up inside their cabin since it was the largest. Obviously, the adults were having their conversation in the living room while the younger ones were in the kitchen, rummaging for food although there wasn't a lot. "Let's play hide and seek in the dark," V suggested randomly.

Namjoon scoffed. "That's such a baby's game."

"What? This is the biggest house you'll ever be in and I doubt anyone here really knows the rooms really well. There aren't really any restricted areas because there's nothing really private here."

"I'm in," Piyoon said. "It's been such a long time since I've played hide in seek in the dark."

"Same," Suga pitched in. "I'm playing," Jimin agreed. The twins and Jin also agreed. They all looked at Namjoon. "You're such babies!"
"You don't have to play," Piyoon told him. "You can stay in the living room with the adults."

He groaned. "Fine! I'm playing." The twin girls giggled, excited that another handsome boy was in on the game. "Rock, paper, scissors, loser counts. 1, 2, 3!" Everyone threw their choice and played for another three rounds before Jin was chosen to be 'it'. The lights were turned off and everyone rushed upstairs. The adults rolled their eyes but continued their conversation.

Piyoon and Suga peeked in all the rooms before choosing the one she liked the best which had a walk in closet. They walked in and chose to lie down in the small gap between the wall and the bed. "Are you okay?" he asked. She turned her head to him and he shifted his whole body to face her. "You have a lot of cuts."

"I'm fine," she assured with a smile before turning to face him also. "Everything's fine."

"I was really worried," he confessed. "I couldn't feel your presence at all. I thought I..."

She held his hand. "You're never gonna lose me, okay?" He smiled and nodded.

"I see Suga and Piyoon!" Jin yelled, making her jump at his random appearance. "Seriously, if you want to hide, be quiet." he said with a laugh. The two got up from their spots and headed down to the kitchen as they waited for that round to be finished. The game ended when Jimin came downstairs. The next to be 'it' was Suga, since he was the first one called out. Everyone ran upstairs as he counted to twenty.

Piyoon peeked into the rooms for a good hiding spot when Jimin grabbed her arm and pulled her away. "Hey!" she complained but he ignored her and pulled her into the room he was in before. He opened a closet and sat inside. "You coming?" he asked. "We might head to Narnia." She rolled her eyes with a small smile before sitting down across from him. He closed the closet doors and they were surrounded by complete darkness and silence. They didn't speak, mostly because she was afraid to. She got caught because of last time but then she felt Suga coming closer. She forgot they could feel each other's presence. That explained why V was found right after them. She tensed when she felt his presence at the door but then relaxed when he walked away.

"He's too nice," Jimin spoke.

"He's my Sapphire," she refuted, now able to see the outline of his face.

"Jungkook?" She didn't say anything. "Is he alright?"

"...why do you care? You never did before," she said, looking down at her hands.

He sighed and hesitated a bit before starting. "Look...I'm sorry for being so nasty when you brought him home. You know how protective I am of your mom. It's a Sapphire thing. I've hurt you many times because of it and I'm sorry for saying all those things. I just realized now that your mom has become unhappy because you're not happy. I only thought that it was the physical harm that made her unhappy. I never knew that making you emotionally unhappy made her feel the same."

"But you should know that. Don't you feel unhappy when she is?"

"In my defense, I thought humans never had that attribute but I guess humans are far more complex than Sapphires."

Piyoon scoffed. "Sapphires are way more complex than humans. You don't see much textbooks on your anatomy than mine."

He laughed. "That's true. But you never answered me. How is Jungkook? I would like to know, not just because I want to make Taerin happy. They don't have a connection to each other anyway."

"...he's fine." She didn't want to tell him about her dilemma. He was being so nice to her and they just made up. She didn't want her to get angry at her because she was putting herself at potential danger by just checking in on him. She would tell him later, but not now when they were on vacation. 

The door suddenly opened, scaring the both of them. "Twenty minute talk time is enough, don't you think?" Suga asked. Piyoon smiled sheepishly. Jimin got out first and then helped her out. "At least we're not it."

He shook his head. "No, you're it. You're the first one I found."

"Hey, Suga, are you going to find us or what?" V yelled from somewhere in the house. Suga smirked in amusement while Piyoon laughed. "He's not nice anymore, huh?"

---