Sapphire

Forbidden Ways

Her name is Piyoon. It's an odd name, we all know and she hates it. She thinks her parents lost a bet and had to name their only daughter Piyoon. She tried to convince her parents to change it to something more feminine but they didn't allow it. As much as her name is odd, she is usually the odd one out during school. She doesn't open easily to others, hence she has no friends. She used her odd name as an excuse for the lack of friends to convince her parents but to no avail, it didn't happen.

She isn't bothered by the fact that she was an outcast during most of her school life because her parent's Sapphires were the only friends she needed. Are you curious to what they look like? They all come in different shapes and forms - no Sapphire can be identical to one another. Her mom's Sapphire is in the the form of a boy around his twenty's and her dad's Sapphire looks like an old man; old enough to be her great grandfather and she's been with the two since she was born.

You're probably wondering what a Sapphire is. Well, a Sapphire is anything you want it to be. They just take form of a human being and animal but really, they can transform into anything. It can turn into a lamp if the bulb went out, it can turn into a pot if you're too lazy to wash the dishes, it can also be simple accessories if you want it to. It can transform into anything except weapons like guns or knives, flimsy material for example, cloth, blankets, writing paper, anything complicated such as computers and cars, and of course, it can't transform into another human being or animal.

Because of the amazing ability of Sapphires, there are people who abuse them. There are bburglaries and murders that have been planned with Sapphires by the criminal's side. Sometimes, people even work them to exhaustion, causing it to break down, making it weak and unable to transform properly. Sapphires can't die by anything unless inflicted by another of its kind or if its person dies. They are created when its human is born so it's fair that they die together. It's basically the world's law that a Sapphire is created for everyone whether they want one or not.

Now, there is a reason why Sapphires take forms of human beings and animals: it's because they blend in with the world. There are many who oppose the creation of Sapphires and if they were all labeled 'Sapphire' what do you think would happen?

There is also one rule Sapphires must to abide to and it's a rule that will cost it its life. No Sapphire is allowed to point out another Sapphire. If it does, it's automatic death. It is to protect Sapphires from the ones who want to kill them off from the face of the earth and to protect them from Nappers. You'd be surprised at how many people there that want to kill and kidnap them. Sapphires are made to please their human, not have a mind of its own.

It was a Tuesday and Piyoon was getting ready to find her own Sapphire. There is an age and education requirement before you are allowed to search for your Sapphire. You have to be 19 years of age and you must graduate high school. She just turned 19 that day and graduated high school four months ago. She couldn't wait to meet it!

Her parents taught her to love her Sapphire just like they love theirs. They have never told them to transform into anything and treated them like real human beings, although they'd ask it to transform once in a while so they don't get rusty. The reason she was excited was because she could have another friend. 

"I want to go, too!" Jimin, mom's Sapphire whined. Jimin is in the form of a young adult in his early twenty's. He's been like that all his life. He never aged, never cut his hair, never grew his nails and never grew another possible inch. He was once thought to be Taerin's, Piyoon's mom's, boyfriend but now he was thought to be her son. It was the same for Riley, the name of her dad's Sapphire. He's an old man and has been all his life. When Yongil, her dad, found Riley, he had his own wheelchair while he was waiting in the middle of a rainforest.

Sapphires can't look like what its person wants it to look like. The Sapphire that is made for each specific person was decided by fate. In fact, when Yonpil first met Riley a year after he turned the legal age of 19, he was very frustrated. At that age, he wanted a pretty lady or even a cool Sapphire around his age but he got stuck with an old man. At first he was mad that he had to take home a man old enough to be his grandfather, but he eventually got used to him. As he grew older, their personalities began to match up. It's all decided by fate.

Piyoon doesn't particularly like Jimin all that much, compared to Riley. Although they're all friends ever, she has many complaints about that Sapphire. He acts like a boy that is going through puberty. Instead of it being a phase, he was like that all of his life. Though there were times he acted like a good older brother, he's annoying most of the time. She thinks a Sapphire who is literally older than her would act a bit mature but he never changed and that's because a Sapphire's personality never changes. 

"You have to run to the supermarket for me, remember?" her mom reminded him. "I can do that after!" "They'll be back by the time you are." Jimin huffed but he didn't say another word. "We'll be back," Riley assured. "Hopefully, the Sapphire won't be across the globe, like I was." 

Sapphires can be hidden anywhere around the world. The reason they are hidden is because there may be people who stumble over it and the reason they can be across the globe is because they can be made in any one of the Sapphire Facility's around the world. There are certain places that make Sapphires with certain looks such as boys, girls, men, women, animals and so on. They are hidden anywhere and are asleep for 19 years, waiting for their humans to find them. Sapphire Square is the place the both of them will be heading. There, they give you a clue as to where your Sapphire is hidden. They don't directly tell you where the Sapphire is hidden because there may be some eavesdroppers and that could lead to a problem. 

"Bye Mom. I'll be back soon," Piyoon said.

"Take care," her mom replied. "Riley, make sure to take care of her."

"Yes, ma'am." Ripley stood up from his wheelchair, grabbed his cane and walked over to the driver's seat while Piyoon took the passenger's seat. The drove out the driveway as Taerin and Jimin waved at the door.

They arrived at Sapphire Square and headed to the booth. Piyoon was surprised there was a line up. She wondered if they came alone, if they went with a parent or if they went with their parent's Sapphire, like she did. While they waited in line, she made small talk with Riley. Although he's her friend, he lectures her more than her own parents and that's why they keep leaving her with him. His loyalty though, is what differentiates him to her own grandfather.

Finally, it was her turn at the booth. She was pretty nervous and a bit excited. "Card," the lady said. She took out her card and slid it under the plastic clear wall that separated them. The card had her full name, her birth date and a serial number on it. The serial number is the Sapphire's code. Everyone gets this card once they are born, along with a birth certificate. It's basically a birth certificate of the Sapphire, but in your name. Once it's scanned, the Sapphire will be awake, waiting for its human to find it.

The lady at the booth scanned the card and slid it back to her, along with a piece of paper. "Follow these instructions on the paper on one of the computers here. Once you're logged on, you will get a clue. Any questions?" Piyoon shook her head. It was straight forward enough. "Enjoy." She said it like a Sapphire was some kind of product and it aggitated her a bit. She didn't like to think Sapphires were like that because of the way she was raised and the way she believed in her parent's Sapphire. She didn't like it when people call their Sapphires like some sort of tool. Sure, they are made to please the human but they have feelings, too.

She and Riley headed over to a cubicle with a computer. She logged on like the instructions told her to and a message popped up. "It is located some place you at least expect it to. That place is not unfamiliar to you as it's where you have been before," it read. Piyoon relayed the message to Riley and logged out of the website. Before the window closed, another message popped up and said, "The credentials will be permanently terminated and you will not longer be able to access this page. Continue?" She closed that window, took a picture of the clue and exited the website. 

"Are the clues always so vague?" she asked Riley. "I can think of 50 places."

He smiled, "Don't worry about it for now. Let's go home first. Your mom is excited to read your hint." They left Sapphire Square and headed back. Jimin was already back from the market and was excited to hear the clue so she read it out loud from the picture she took on her phone.

"Don't you like to spend time in the library a lot?" Jimin asked. "Maybe it's there. I mean, no one expects a Sapphire to be in the library."

"Or what about church? You go to church every weekend. Maybe it's there," her mom suggested. 

"How about that lonely tree up the hill?" Riley pitched in. "You like to go there and think." She could think a hundred on her own but those were the places she spent the most time at, so why not try all of those three first? "What if I don't find it?" she asked.

Her mom smiled and patted Jimin's head. "I took a week to find him. Your dad took a whole year. Sometimes the riddles can throw you off and sometimes, you'll find it right away. You never know what will happen. I just know that you'll have a great adventure with your Sapphire later on, just like I did with mine." 

The rest left the living room, leaving her to herself. "Hey." She looked up to see Jimin advacing towards her. He sat down and patted her cheek gently. "Don't worry too much about it. You'll find it. I'll give you one month, tops."

She scoffed. "Is that a bet?" He smiled and shrugged. "If you only want it to be." She shook my head. "I can't believe I'm almost your age now and you're still so immature."

"Hey! What's wrong with a boy going through puberty? It's normal!" Her eyes rolled. "Anyway, good luck. You'll need it for your journey too," he said and walked away.

Jimin was talking about the journey that has to be done with the Sapphire to get it Registered. The only way to get it Registered, is to go to the Sapphire Facility that it was made in. It's a good way for the human and Sapphire to get along. It might be a long journey, depending where it was made. It could have been made on the other side of the world or just ten miles from there She couldn't wait to finally meet her Sapphire.

---