Their Human

Forbidden Ways

The both of them snuck out of the house after noon. After Piyoon ate her lunch, she and Jungkook left the house when no one was paying attention. Of course she hollered, "I'm going out" before running out the door with him close behind so the Sapphires don't get a heart attack when they find her missing. Metaphorically, of course.

Jungkook was quite nervous being outside in public. After he was abandoned he never left his spot once. That one day when he escaped to go back to his hiding spot, he blended in with the crowd so no one would notice. Now, he was out in the open. He said he would feel safe if he's anywhere with Piyoon but that was only to get her to trust him. In truth, he felt so vulnerable and afraid.

They had left the neighbourhood when she stopped him. She took out a pair of sunglasses and held it out to him. "Here. These will help you." He didn't quite understand but he took them anyway. "I was reminded by my book earlier this morning that only Sapphires can tell their own kind if they see their eyes. If you wear these, no one will know who you are. You might look weird wearing them inside a mall but that's better than being stared at for something else, right?"

He felt so touched that she thought of his safety. Even he didn't know that rule existed. He was never really interested in others, other than his human. At that thought, he felt a pang of sadness. Although he felt like Piyoon was the best human in the world, she couldn't beat his human although he did leave him out in the streets. Sapphires were supposed to love their human no matter what and he felt angry at himself for not loving Piyoon more than his human.

She held out her hand to him for the second time that day. "Although you're protected by judgmental glances, that doesn't mean Nappers lose their sixth sense. Be careful at all times and stick close to me." He immediately wore the sunglasses and grabbed her hand. "I will."

The two of them rode the bus to the mall and no one even spared a glance at Jungkook, which made him feel so much lighter and made him swell with happiness. They were still holding hands on the bus so he gave her a grateful squeeze as they headed to their destination. They spent hours in the mall trying to find Jungkook clothes. Since she was alone, she didn't have her parent's credit card with her and because she felt like she had the obligation to pay for Jungkook's clothes herself. She didn't work so she didn't have much saved up. They went from store to store trying to find the nicest yet cheapest clothes and shoes. It was possible, but it just took a while. From the selection of clothes, they were mainly graphic t-shirts and plain jeans. She wished she had more money to buy him nice clothing like button up shirts and accessories.

She admits, she isn't a fashionista and some of the clothes she picked didn't even match or look good but he never complained. He reassured her it was fine on him but she knew he was only being considerate.

Finally, after a good couple hours, they arrived home. She grabbed the sunglasses off his face and placed it on top of her head. She grabbed the bags and said she'll come back for him since it'll look suspicious if they entered at the same time. Piyoon entered the house and loud footsteps could be heard running across the ceiling and down the stairs. Before she could comprehend anything, Jimin pushed her outside the door. Jungkook, who was sitting down, back against the porch fence, stood up in alarm.

"Do you two know how stupid you are!?" he half-yelled, half-whispered. "You two could have gotten into some serious trouble! You can't walk around with him like it's no big deal!"

She wasn't surprised he found out. He's always so perceptive of her and always finds the chance to argue. "We were careful," she argued. "I gave him your glasses."

"Sure, that protects him from other Sapphires from judging him, but so what? They aren't the ones you should be concerning yourself with because they are not a threat. The real threat are the Nappers and Hunters. You could have gotten seriously injured if one of them caught Jungkook."

"But no one saw him!"

"You don't know that! Someone could have followed the both of you home. It might not have happened today but it might happen the next time so don't be stupid and go off on your own like that!"

"Why are you even mad? I didn't even annoy you today. I didn't even speak a word."

"Because you're Taerin's daughter!" This time, he full out yelled. "If you got hurt, imagine how hurt your mom will be. Riley would have gotten as angry as me if he knew you went out with him."

Piyoon scoffed, tears almost forming on the rim of her eyes. "I'm so glad you're thinking of Mom. You don't even care about me. You just care about how she would feel. Will you feel anything if I do get hurt?" She grabbed Jungkook's hand but before she headed inside, she said her last remark. "You're wrong about Riley. He wouldn't get angry at me and call me stupid once I step inside the house. He would worry. That's why they rather leave me with him than with you. You're just selfish."

She shut the front door and he let out a frustrated groan. He didn't mean it like that. Sure, if she got hurt that would affect his human but that wasn't what he was concerned about at all. He was only worried about her. He wouldn't forgive himself if she ever got hurt. Because of his personality, he wasn't able to say it properly and because of that, they get into a lot of fights. Most of the time she fights back but when she takes it too seriously, it just backfires.

Once Piyoon and Jungkook entered her room, she closed the door and lay face down on her bed just like the night before. HE sat down at the edge and apologized. She turned to her side to answer but she didn't face him. She felt too ashamed of herself for putting him in danger. "What for?"

"For making you have all these confusing emotions inside of you. You're mad, sad, and you have regret. I feel it all."

She sat up and faced him. "I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at Jimin. And I'm not regretting ever bringing you here. Ever! I...I just regret even arguing with him in the first place. He was never so mad before. Sure, he always fought and bickered but not to the point of frustration."

He kept his head low. "It's because of me." She shook her head quickly. "No! No, it's not. Jungkook. Jungkook, look at me." He lifted his head and met her eyes. "It's not true. We are not arguing like this because of you. Sure, he brings it up but it's my fault for being immature about it and fighting back. We were always like this. It's our nature to fight so don't you think it's your fault. And don't you dare try to escape this house when we're not looking. I already claimed you as my Sapphire." She smiled to reassure him and it worked as he nodded and smiled back.

For the rest of the night, Piyoon and Jimin didn't even acknowledge each other. Her mom even made a comment about how weirdly silent they were which made Jungkook feel pretty bad about the situation. He couldn't help but know it was his fault. It was his fault for invading the family and it was his fault for meeting a kind human such as Piyoon and have her defend him. He decided that night that he would confront Jimin while she took her shower.

He was in front of the TV when Jungkook was looking for him. He took a seat on the sofa perpendicular to him. "Can we talk?" Jimin spared him a glance before going back to the TV. He didn't say anything so he thought that was a green light for him to talk. "You have the right to be mad at her for today. You also have the right to blame me. I know how much you detest me. You're just trying to protect your human and I respect that but please be a bit more gentle with her. She feels sad when you get mad at her for something like this."

Jimin scoffed and shook his head. "'Something like this'? You think this is a situation I can just look past? You put her in danger today. You're not supposed to be here."

"I know. I know I'm not supposed to be here. I know what we did today was stupid."

"If you know, then leave!"

"But I can't. She introduced me to your parents. I swear we didn't plan on it. I only wanted to know why I had this strange attraction towards her but she insisted to take me in. When she introduced me to her parents, I was surprised. I didn't want that to happen. If I leave, her parents will get mad at her. And I promised Piyoon I wouldn't leave."

"Then what the hell are you going to do when she does find her Sapphire? Are you going to leave and make her parents believe you were a mistake? Do you think her parents will be happy then? Do you think her parents will be happy that she lied to her parents about her Sapphire? I don't know who your previous human was but in this family, they treat us like humans. We were made to be their dogs - their slaves - but this family treats us with the respect we don't deserve. How do you think they will feel if they found out their daughter brought in a fake? She brought in something that isn't supposed to a part of this family. Her parents will be so disappointed." Every word he spoke dripped with venom. He wanted to scare the Sapphire out. He wanted that Sapphire out of their family, even if it meant Piyoon hating him for the rest of his life. He didn't want Taerin to get hurt because of the abandoned Sapphire and ultimately Piyoon's relationship with her parents. The sooner he leaves, the less impact it will have, he thought.

Jimin's words worked. He felt so pressured. He wanted to please Piyoon but he didn't want to break the family apart. If he left, she would feel devastated and betrayed but if he stayed, her family would be furious if they found out. He knew the feeling of being abandoned and he didn't want her to feel the same. He would rather her hold a grudge have her family be mad at her. "I'll leave," he said. "I'll keep your family happy."