Chapter 6

Look At Me

 

Park Shin Ye walked to FNC studio, her hair laid down, bouncing beautifully, on the contrary to her stiff expression. She had something in mind to be straightened as she had to confirm to her boyfriend. 

She saw Kyu Hyun setting photography equipments right away, alone at the studio. Photo session was over, and he was the last person to ensure everything getting right.

“Oppa.:

 Kyu Hyun turned her head, “Ah, Shin Ye-ah. You didn’t tell me you’ll come. I have a meeting after this

She approached Kyu Hyun, turning his body towards her, “Answer me, honestly.” Kyu Hyun’s eyebrows raised, “Is it Seo Hyun-ssi, right?”

“Seo Hyun..? What are you talking about?”

Shin Ye closed her eyes in seconds, colleting energy to continue, then throwing serious eyes, “A girl whom you were always talking about when we’re at New York, the one you praise, you proud of, is Seo Hyun-ssi? Right? Don’t lie.”

Kyu Hyun halted the time, avoiding her eyes, “I don’t know what you mean.”

“Oppa!”

“This is not the right time to discuss that thing, Shin Ye-ah. Okay?” Kyu Hyun rejected to answer, “I’ve worked all the day, from early morning, until this night. Can you just give me a time to rest? We’ll talk, soon.”

“Kyu Hyun-ssi!” A staff called him from the door way, breaking the heavy atmosphere inside. “Let’s start the meeting, sunbae is waiting for you.”

“Ne, Hyung!” Kyu Hyun answered in brisk, then backed to Shin Ye. He brushed off her shoulder, then muttered in soft but stern voice, “See? We’ll talk tomorrow, okay?” Then he went away.

Shin Ye was hurt, disappoint feeling crawled to her heart. He just fade away before she could say something. Her pride tore up, her heart followed behind. She finally decided to take a walk in FNC small park beside the main building, gaining some fresh air to replace her broken breath.

She founded herself in surprise when she saw a glass of orange juice being offered in front of her eyes. She lifted her head, then smile, “Ah, Yong Oppa. Gomawo.” She accepted the glass, gulping once.

“It’s chill. Why don’t you go inside?”

“I want to be here.”

“Let’s go. Don’t catch a cold.” He was about to go inside, before Shin Ye grabbing his wrist.

Yong Hwa stopped.

“Please, stay here for a moment, Yong Oppa. Would you?”

*&^%$#@            

 

Hye yeon stared at Seo Hyun in anxious eyes effusing, sympathy feeling spouting. She got nothing to do but listening, too bewilderd to react. Both are talking on her bedroom floor covered with fur carpet, among scattered newspapers and bulletins that spreading out the news. Her and CN Blue’s Yong Hwa news.

As a new center attention of couple, they’d just become the spotlight, hype news, in all the portal of the country. Two hours filling the air with words be out, Seo Hyun told everything currently bore down upon her. None’s passed, all are uncovered.

“Are you okay? Having a boyfriend in that way?”

A nod gave Hye Yeon exactly the perfect answer.

“Seohyunnie,” She caressed Seo Hyun’s shoulder, sending a little comfort, “I’m worried.”

Sure smile broke down on Seo Hyun’s face, “This is my choice, Yeon-ah.”

A sigh came out as an response, “Honestly, I don’t like the reason background behind your relationship with Jung Yong Hwa. I mean, you must be together with someone you really love, neither hurting you nor driving you like crazy.” Then Hye Yeon pulled her in friendly hug, “I hope he hold his promise tightly. I’ll surely kill him if he dares to break it. Ask me if you need my help, okay?”

She shut her eyes, then uttered, “Gomawo…”

They stay in couple minutes, sharing warm feeling and changing strength, before a call vibration of her phone made Seohyun halted for second. She reached out the pink phone. Seeing a familiar name appearing, she pressed the YES button. She sighed before answering, “Yeoboseyo?”

“Where are you?” The bass voice heard out.

Seo Hyun felt a bit strange, being called by him. “Oh.. Hye Yeon’s home.”

An unsatisfied response for a brief answer. Yong Hwa didn’t stop, “Where is it, precisely?”

Seo Hyun felt like being interrogated. But surprisingly, she wasn’t even complaining. “Approximately… twenty meters away from my home.”

Silence took the time for a moment. “Make sure you go home safely. Ask Hye Yeon to accompany you.”

She gasped, a little. Being protected and founded his caring on his curiosity, it really was kind of having a real boyfriend, diiquieting and keeping an eye upon her, “Ah, no. It’s okay. So near absolutely. I can reach it on foot.”

“Seo Joo Hyun. Please listen to me.” He continued after holding a second, “Give your phone to Hye Yeon, let me ask her myself.”

“Anniyo.” She chose not to throw a debate competition. “Ahrasseo, okay. I’ll ask her.”

She could hear Yong Hwa letting out a sigh, “When do you usually go to school?”

“Seven, since we have class at seven thirthy.”

“Okay.” Then he hang up.

Hye Yeon’s eyes raised seeing Seo Hyun pouting after taking a deep breath. “Is there anything wrong, Hyunnie?”

She lifted her head, glaring Hye Yeon in incredulous eyes, “Would you mind to take me home? On foot?”

 

*&^%$#@

 

The sun softly touched the beautiful night then made it up a nature gradation of sky, gradually converting into the next turn: bright light morning. The warm sun irradiated her as Seo Hyun opened the front door up after wearing her feminine blue shoes, carrying flower pattern piggy-back bag, and dressing in her unifom, ready for going to school.

Fresh air was drawn on before her eyes suddenly fell into a figure that now was standing up in her fence way, crossing his arms. She slanted her eyes to catch the shilloutte before breaking into widened glare.

“Let’s go,” Yong Hwa moved his head, commanding her to get on his car.

Seo Hyun threw unsure-surprised eyes as she stepped closer, “Wait, Jung Yong Hwa, why you suddenly…”

“Take this,” Ignoring, Yong Hwa handed off a jumper jacket, “Wear it before getting off of my car. I come all the way here to pick you up.”

Seo Hyun tried to get her mind settled well. This is so sudden. “But I think I’ll go to school on my own way. Hye Yeon will come here, and I…”

“Tell her, you go with me. Get on.”

Seo Hyun took a deep sigh, and again, following him. She called Hye Yeon, telling her to go school by herself, and apologizing. Finally getting on his car, she wore safety belt then put the jumper jacket on her lean, a bit uneasy. She glanced him for seconds, observing his mind tracks. Jung Yong Hwa is unreadable.

“Is this your way to protect me?” She blurted out.

“I promise to guarantee your safety. Starting from now on, I will pick you up every morning.”

 She gawked, “What? Wait up.”

Yong Hwa cut off before she could continue her sentence, “And just tell me whenever you want to go, I’ll carry you on if I can.”

The machine , groaning on its cracking, then they went away, along with Seo Hyun widened eyes. “Jung Yong Hwa, is this not too far?”

What far? I’m not that busy recently.” Yong Hwa’s eyes still went forwards, concentrating to his driving. He got 2-months-not-to-attending-reality-shows punishment, so his life had to be much unbusy. “What do you mean by far? Do I go into your privation too far?”

“No, no.” Seo Hyun shook her head, “I mean, everyone knows we’re dating but we’re not that dating.”

The car stopped due to red light traffic. Yong Hwa turned her head, “Don’t mind what people talking about you, Seo Joo Hyun. It is good, isn’t it? We kind of show off our well relationship.” He chuckled, feeling a bit funny of his own words.

But Seo Hyun got herself speechless. How this relationship would be going, and how it would be ended, all are clueless and unguessable. People out there looking them up as a real couple, but she still couldn’t find the thread connected to her feeling. Her mind even couldn’t run as usual, staying stucked.

“Anyway, who did tell you about me going to PD last day?”

Seo Hyun remembered something, an alert warning, “No, I just..”

“My dongsaengs? Which one?”

All of them. “Ah, no..”

“My manager?”

“No,” She shooked her head. “None of them.”

Yong Hwa sighed, “Ahrasseo. I won’t ask  anymore.”     

Seo Hyun felt a relief. It’s better to hide this fact.

Twenty minutes without any chatters, an awkward  feeling fulfilling the atmosphere around. Seo Hyun was too silent, waver to cracked up everything. She attempted to seek the clues, about her future, anything about what will be happening, and she ended up finding nothing.

That was before he muttered to rend the time, “We almost arrive. Put on your jacket.”

Seo Hyun followed his command unprotestly. This jacket… is she going to disguise?

And the answer exactly flashed afterwards.

Her eyes truly widened as she saw a crowd around their school gate, looked like reporters bringing on advanced cameras, and girls in school uniform hanging on handphone or just still camera. They hunted for something, possibility CN Blue member, or her. Seo Hyun suddenly felt shudder, she gripped her own palm tightly, panicking.  

“What are they doing here?” She didn’t want to get off.

“Put on your jumper. I’ll open the car door for you.”

He rode his red car into the yard safely, then placed it on parking lot which not too far from the gate. All of the people outside were definitely going to stepped closer as Yong Hwa appeared, and they were now near enough to see him opened up another side car door for Seo Hyun.

“It’s okay, I’m with you.” He whispered, loud enough be heard just for her.

She got off in jumper putting on and her both palms closed , feeling scared, protecting her partly face. She even frightened to lift up her eyes seeing the crowd around, and decide to just step out slowly, being lead by Yong hwa. He huddled Seo Hyun up in tight, trying to protect her from the crowd and the camera light that were recording this moment.

After reaching out the building, Yong Hwa put down her jumper, eyes beamed her in anxiousness, “Are you okay?”

Seo Hyun nodded, controlling her breath. That was unforgettable moment, being shot by everyone. She swore to record this day as the most unforgettable day ever. And This is the beginning, Seo Joo Hyun.

Students inside the building run their eyes towards them as they realized, but still it was not as extreme as the people outside. “At least a part of your face was covered.” He helped Seo Hyun to put off the jacket, “This is one of the reason why I really want to protect you. Mianhe, Seo Joo Hyun..”

"Ne, it’s okay. I’m just a little bit shocked.” Seo Hyun put an effort to look fine.

 Yong Hwa patted her back from behind, then muttered, “Let’s go. We’re almost late.” He lead their way, giving a little comfort by landing his arms around her shoulder. You suffered enough because of me. I’m sorry.

 

*&^%$#@

 

                The days passed unsmoothly. The news took over, still spreaded over their relationship and closeness. Media showed up intentions to scraped her personality, habits, and all. And those ways just made Yong Hwa coming to her frequently, giving his whole attention to her, firmly offered protection towards her, carrying around his promise as a true gentleman. Seo Hyun didn’t do anything but accepted. One thing she realized was, she tried to be okay, and now was believing in him.

                It was a moment when she opened up her locker, taking some piano partitur sheets to be practiced as she heard girls talk behind, making an annoying crack towards her. She stood in calmness though it was nerve-wrecking, trying to close her sense of hearing.

                “Look. Nothing special. Common long hair, common thin body, common feature of face… Not that amazingly beautiful to be sided by him.” The first high-pitched voice whispered to others, “What the hell Jung Yong Hwa does look at her?”

                “She’s good at piano. Perhaps her playing beated his heart.” Another pierce voice added, “But, you’re true. She’s so common. Ordinary.”

                “Her style is not that good, tough. CN Blue meets many artists and singers. Why don’t he date one of them? Are he blind?” The third resentful voice brought others to agree.

                Seo Hyun shut her eyes in seconds. Oh damn, it’s hurt. She wanted to abruptly confront them, but she hold it. She had a lot of well-kept patient in mind, at least. Undminfully, she kept searching her piano sheets, ignoring.

                She didn’t realize that Yong Hwa was approaching her, “Hi.”

                She looked up, “Oh, hi.”

                Yong Hwa put down his headphone, hanging it on his neck, looked like walking on his ways while listening to music. He scanned around and his eyes landed at three girls that suddenly acted clumsily seeing him. He backed to Seo Hyun, “Are you done?”

                Seo Hyun nodded, “I choose Air to be played. Perfect combination with guitar.”

                Yong Hwa fold his lips, thinking another thing.

He suddenly cupped her face, tucked her long hair behind her ears, then put on his headphone instead. Seo Hyun stayed silent, full of surprising with this sudden action. Yong Hwa scanned his music player, choosing a song. After pressing the play button, he took the partitur she hold, then handing off his music player to be grabbed by her instead. “Let’s go.” He lead the way.

                It was a moment when they walked passed by the three girls, and Yong Hwa stared at them in almost-deathful-scary eyes.  

                As they stepped parallel together, Seo Hyun kept nodding her head, enjoying the music she listened to. Yong Hwa couldn’t help it but broke a small smile.

                “Wow, it’s really a good song. What’s the title?” She put off the headphone, lifting her head to Yong Hwa in amazed-sparkling eyes.

                “Sweet Holiday. It’s exactly in our album.”

                “Seriously? I’m sorry, I don’t look after your band a lot.. I promise, I will hear your songs more often.” Her eyes broke from wide glaring into dullness.

                Yong Hwa chuckled, “Anniyo. It’s okay.”

                “I like it so much. Who’s the writer?”

                “Me.”

                “You?” Seeing Yong Hwa nodded, Seo Hyun’s lips dilated in unbelievable expression, “You’re really talented..”

                “Gomawo.” He hold a second before muttered, “Take it with you, Seo Joo Hyun.”

                “Ne?”

                “My music player. Bring it on.”

                Seo Hyun blinked, “Anniyo. You’ve helped me so much already, anniyo.”

                Yong Hwa raised his eyebrows seeing her response, then threw a tingling smile.  It has been a long time since the last time he saw her glow smile. It’s better to make you happy, Seo Joo Hyun. They continued to walk together through the hallway, directing to music room.

                “Ah!” Seo Hyun remembered something, sparkling eyes beamed him, “I’ve read a comic you gave. That Detective Conan. As you know, it’s really my first time finishing comic.”

                “Really?”

                “It’s good. ” Her lips pulled up, “I felt like, addictive.”

                The time grabbed its turn for seconds, “Then let’s go searching for other chapters.”

                “Ne?”

                Yong Hwa looked at the ceiling up, thinking something, “Saturday night this week, I’m off. I know the bookstore selling Detective Conan chapters, from the first until the last episode. Join?”

                Her brain walked through on question path, startling.

Wait up, isn’t this thing called dating? She stuttered for  a waver response, “A-ah.. Is that okay?”

                “Don’t worry. Sometime, we must forget for being spotlight, and just enjoy the time.”

                Her incredulous eyes shimmering, but she ended up giving him a nod, “N-ne.” Jung Yong Hwa, is he serious? Being together in public obviously? She felt dizzy in sudden, remembering stuff chasing her recently, like all people in the world wanted to interrogate her, or even eaten her up, as his known girlfriend.            

“Seo Joo Hyun. I’m hungry.”

                She gaped a bit to digest his words then yelled out after realizing, “Yah! You took two third of my lunch this day.”

                A relax answer brought up, “Just bring more lunch tomorrow.”

                Seo Hyun pouted, “Shiro!”

                “Bring more lunch, then you can take my music player as repayment. You may listen to music more, Seo Joo Hyun, it will cover you from such unimportant-annoying voices. Deal?” He ignored her rejection, then turned his body, putting on the headphone that was hanging on her neck up back her head.

                What does he mean by unimportant-annyoying voices? Annoying fan girls? Pile news?

                Seo Hyun frowned in the middle of thinking his offer, before she realized that Yong Hwa took steps first, leaving her behind, “Yah! Jung Yong Hwa, wait up!”

                  

*&^%$#@

 

                Lightheaded. Kyu Hyun entered his flatlet at the late of night after dealing up with so many schedules and photo sessions he got nowadays. His busy times actually run him in unhealthy life style: sleeping for two hours, lacking physical activities, drinking more caffeine, and skipping breakfast.  No more time to enjoy his time in proper ways. But still, he never boomed out any protest or complains as his body going to rose against him, feeling to fall and craving for rest. He needed this, he wanted this. Being hardworker was somewhat fine as he made himself to avoid that resentment.

                After placing his cameras and photo equipments, his eyes landed at the newspaper resided on his table, bringing him to take a look as he found a familiar picture on its cover. He smirked, feeling in doldrums all of sudden.

Jung Yong Hwa and His Girlfriend Revealed Their Closeness at School.

                He didn’t intend to flip the page, and just throw it away.

                He fell his body on the couch, leaning his back together with his flustered, perplexed feeling. His muzzy face was being covered as his hand moved up, trying to transmit every anguish out of his head. A strong guiltiness crawled up, being a howler creeped on his heart. He regretted everything, he blamed his past idiocy. The excuse he attempted to build up suddenly crashed, shattering.

                He got off then walked wobbly to his corner room right after. His desire pulled badly, beatening up his tiredness.  After reaching out the door, he entered his space as his eyes slanted a bit, adjusting to the minimal light inside, almost full-dark room, his own manual monochrome photos room.

As a photographer, producing black and white photos in classic ways, starting from taking a picture until washing it out then drying it up on the hanging string across the room, gave him an undrawn-special satisfication. And there was, always be, just one figure, beside nature and views, that was taken by him hanging on there in many poses and expressions since he collected them in some years.

                Seo Joo Hyun.

                Her captured smile broke up the silence as Kyu Hyun catched every pictures of hers in painful feeling.

Am I that stupid, Hyunnie? Am I late? Am I wrong?

He talked to her in quiet, wishing she heard this out from far. Impossible mind, but it made him better in a way.

I know I’m not good enough to be by your side, because you’re too shimmering, and I’m just, bad boy. I left you two years ago, not because I didn’t want you.  I doubted myself not to grab your wrist until it got bleeding if I saw you that day, when I decided to study abroad, leaving you. I painfully want to runaway from my studying every time I signed in my email and my social networks accounts, seeing you trying to contact me. That was unbearable, being distant by you, Hyunnie. But it was a must, I had to be a great photographer, a good son for my parents, a success guy. For you.

Before I founded you with that Jung Yong Hwa in unpredictable way. Before I stupidly told myself that I had to compeletly forget you, convincing myself that every kind girl I met was like you. And now, I’m gashing myself deeper, and I’m rankling Shin Ye-ah worse. I’m useless.

He startled as he realized that he had to stop. Finishing all of madness he made, and tried to pace another way. His memories flashed back as he shut his eyes, bringing him onto the days when Shin Ye catched him.

“I like you, Kyu Oppa.” She smiled as her eyes told him a honesty, “I know precisely about your love for her. But give me a change. I’ll help you to forget her, as you told me days ago that you will try to erase her.”

“Shin-Ye ah.. No, you’re really a good girl, I will never hurt you.” Kyu Hyun rejected in a polite way. Shin Ye and him was in companionship as they went together in Korean Student Association in their college, though their major was different.

“No. Believe me, I’ll help you.” She took Kyu Hyun’s hands, “Try it, Oppa.”

He hesitanted for seconds before giving her a yes nod. Thinking in a way that it would be really helpful, and felt that Shin Ye was Seo Hyun’s like: having a smooth, feminine personality, kind and talented girl, brought him to agree tracking a new path with her.

But he was totally wrong.

Kyu Hyun took out his phone, dealing up numbers from speed dial button, “Shin Ye-ah. Can we meet up?”

 

*&^%$#@

 

                Saturday night brought over the sparkling light in noisy Seoul, brightening all the people and couple gathered up, clinging each other in unseen strings tangled. Seo Hyun reached the bookstore first, as expected, Yong Hwa didn’t come yet. He told her about his sudden schedule, and asked her to go first so he would come afterward.

                Without realizing, this was the first time since her last time –Kyu Hyun’s birthday years ago- putting a ribbon on her hair, then powder and lipgloss glowing on her silky skin face, changing clothes more then three times before making decision which one will be wore up, to this cute light brown coat combination with girly flower pattern skirt, legging, and long pair of boots.

She started to sigh after fifteen minutes has passed. It was turning to twenty, then thirty. Seo Hyun raised her head, turning here and there, looking at right and left, searching for him.

One hour. No sign.

*&^%$#@

 

                Yong Hwa swerved his car in different direction as he finished his writing songs session schedule, to the place he was familiar with after receiving a sudden call. Looking like an emergency event, abruptly he got off after getting the park lot, reaching out the lift to the floor he knew best. He cracked the door handle of that apartment and hurriedly went in since it was unknocked.

                He washed around, scanning the room on edge, disquietude feeling bursting out. His leg brought him in running after spotting the bedroom, and entered as he heard a heavy cough inside.

                He saw Shin Ye from behind, on the floor, shivering and dealing up with her cough. Her messy hair and weak body landed in incapability, not even could prop her body up. He reached her and seeing her wet face, a bit sure of a tear trace mixed up with cold sweat, even he felt high body temperature of her.

“Shin Ye-ah, are you okay?” He let her to lean on him, encircling her wrist, guiding her up to her bed.

                Yong Hwa covered her up with her blanket as he heard unstoppable cough of her. Efficiently he was going out for second to take a glass of water, then back and slowly helping her to gulp it down. This was usual scene, he walked on this years ago for a long time, since he knew her from junior high school. Shin Ye was really cheerful and kind from outside, but she bore a loneliness inside in her way.

                Something is happened.

Yong Hwa knew the best, in her condition -cough, crying, sick- something stressful and serious might be going.

                He stayed there watching her, waiting for her consciousness.

                “Gomawo..” Shin Ye opened up her eyes in effort, pulling a smile on her pale face.

                “Go sleep. Take a rest.”

                She nodded in response. Silence crawled up before she muttered in very almost-whispered voice, “Yong Oppa.. What do you feel when someone you love doesn’t love you back?”

                He was surprised for a moment. What does she mean? “Hmm, sad, heartbroken.”

                Her husky voice uttered again, “How can you deal with, then?”

                He suddenly felt like reflecting himself. A bit confuse and stabbed, he answered, “Forgetting her, convincing myself that she is now with someone better, then talking to myself to find another, maybe the last, best girl for me.”

                Shin Ye broke a smile, then let the time give them a space to interact with their thought.

                “I was breaking up, Oppa.”

                Yong Hwa’s eyes suddenly widened, “Ne?”

                “I’m wrong, that’s totally my fault.” She beamed him with her ulterior sorrow eyes, “I asked Kyu Oppa to break up, and yeah, we officially broke up.”

                Yong Hwa didn’t know what words he would use to response. He was surprised, beside he founded out the reason behind her sick condition.

                “I’m okay, tough. A bit sad and heartbroken like you’ve said.” Her scattered voice hold up, cracking the silence around. She shut her eyes, gaining any energy, and trying to rest.

                Instead of asking the reason behind her relationship, he remembered his promise for himself, that Shin Ye was his past. And what’s happened on her was no longer his attention, beside his friendship with her, no more.

                “Go sleep.”  Yong Hwa got up, being ready to leave.

                “Yong Oppa.” Shin Ye stopped his steps by her weak voice as he turned his head and found a begging eyes beaming, “Would you like to stay here? For a moment?”

                He doubted for seconds, before finally paced back, put his body down again on her bed side.

                “Gomawo, I’ll sleep now.” She smiled, relieving, “Ah,  suddenly I missed the time I spent with you since we were child..” Her brittle sight eyes then gradually shut, brought up a calmness of her.

                Yong Hwa let out a deep breath. His mind scrambled.

 

*&^%$#@

 

Two hours. Three hours. Seo Hyun couldn’t stop looking at her watch since Yong Hwa didn’t make any emergence. She began to worry since his phone was off, so no change was available to contact him. Beside, she felt so worn out, standing here for three hours more.

Where are you, Jung Yong Hwa?

She pressed his numbers, then heard a fail dialed warning answering back again. She shifted her steps in front of the bookstore right and left, weariness and anxious. Leaving from this place exactly flashed inside her mine, but she hold it up since she was sure Yong Hwa was not someone who played with words in easy way.

He will come, Seo Joo Hyun.

But, she began to hesitate, and wroth.

Her phone suddenly rang then she quickly answered, wanting to hear anything about him, “Yeoboseyo?”

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

long time no see :D

do subscribe and please comment, guys!