Unexpected Passenger Flow

Heartbeat Express

The heavy rain of the previous day had cleared the skies, leaving only a handful of white fluffy clouds floating in the blue like swans on a pond. The cold late-winter early-spring sun left a shine on the wet surfaces, lighting up the metal railways and shimmering on the rooftops of trains like a streak of fire.

Daehyun hummed and tapped his feet impatiently, eyes fixed on the doors where just outside he could see Youngjae waiting to board. As the doors opened he stepped forward to greet the younger, but was cut off by a large group who filled the carriage. Youngjae stepped in after them, looking a little amused.

“I guess we don't have our usual journey home,” Daehyun said, choosing to hold onto a post while Youngjae leaned in the doorway.

“More company than we expected. I wouldn't worry about it, I heard them talking at the station. They'll be getting off at the next stop.”

“Good. It would be nice if we could have a bit of a quiet journey.”

“Quiet?” Youngjae raised his eyebrows, “How quiet do you mean?”

“Depends on our luck,” Daehyun grinned mischievously.

Youngjae squinted at him for a moment before his eyes widened and he turned his face away, cheeks red.

Daehyun sniggered a little to himself, “I didn't actually ask but, I guess your exam went well in the end?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah it went fine. I think I actually did better on the theory. I guess your gift incentive was a good idea.” He smiled a little at the thought of Daehyun's failed present.

“Ahh, yeah. I haven't refunded those yet. Hey! Don't glare at me like that, I'll get it done soon. This weekend. I'll do it this weekend.”

“Uhuh. Okay, you better do. If you forget to and don't get your money back I'll be really annoyed.”

“Don't worry I won't forget- Oh! Actually, before I forget, pass me your phone!”

“My phone?” Youngjae asked, sliding his hand into his pocket, “why?”

“I'm going to put my number into it,” Daehyun explained as Youngjae unlocked the phone and passed it over, “Then you can text me and I'll get your number off you and we'll be able to text each other!”

Youngjae blinked as Daehyun typed on his phone. “So, this is your way of asking for my number?”

“Well.... Yes.” Daehyun shrugged and lifted the phone and took a quick selfie, throwing up a quick peace sign.

“What are you doing?”

“Setting the caller ID, that way you know it's definitely me you're sending long declarations of your undying passion to.”

“Give me my phone back!” Youngjae snatched the device back and glanced down at the screen. “Jung?”

“Yes, that's me, Jung Daehyun.”

“Jung Daehyun The Handsome Train Boy?”

“It has a nice ring to it.”

“Were the fifteen heart emojis next to it necessary?”

“You're right. I should have stopped at twelve.”

“You're ridiculous.” Youngjae rolled his eyes and started to type. Shortly after Daehyun's phone pinged as a text came through.

“Yoo Youngjae?” Daehyun read as he opened the text.

“Yes,” Youngjae said, somewhat defensively.

“That's so cute! Your name is so cute. Ah, I'm jealous.” He looked up from his phone to see that the younger had turned a very striking shade of red. “Aww, look at you!” He reached out and squeezed one of his cheeks.

“Let go!” Youngjae batted his hand away, face still red. “People are going to stare at us if you keep acting like that.”

“You're not a PDA type of guy?”

“That's not the point!” Youngjae huffed and tucked his phone away.

The train started to slow down at the two boys glanced at each other, then at the group that was standing up to get off the train, then back at each other. A sly grin was spreading across Daehyun's face as the group alighted.

Before anything could happen, a handful of young school kids boarded the train and took up some of the seats, chatting animatedly. Youngjae barely stifled a laugh at Daehyun's look of surprise.

“You might have to wait just a bit longer before you act on whatever scheme you're planning,” Youngjae teased, lips pulled into a smirk as he shifted to take one of the free seats.

Daehyun plopped down into a seat opposite him and pouted at the younger, before a thought occurred to him. He pulled his phone out and held it up.

“What are you-” Youngjae began, before recognising the gesture. “Hey, did you just take a photo of me?”

Daehyun didn't reply, instead focussing on his phone intently. Youngjae felt his own phone buzz in his pocket and pulled it out, opening the message to find the photo that had just been taken send to him with a number of messy hearts drawn onto it.

He raised his eyebrows and took a quick snap of Daehyun, who looked surprised that there seemed to be a photo-war happening, and began to draw on it. When he'd added the last letter of 'drag queen' onto the highly edited image, he sent it proudly.

Daehyun, insulted, replied with a selfie covered in sparkly effects. Youngjae replied with an even more sparkly, highly filtered selfie. The war went back and forth until it dissolved into whoever could make the best edit of themselves as a fictional character. It wasn't until the train stopped and the last of the passengers got off, did their war come to an end.

Youngjae watched the carriage empty and waited for someone to board. When no one did, he turned his head a little and opened his mouth to make a comment at the older, but was cut off.

Daehyun was upon him, crawling up onto his lap and hands cupping his face. When those plump lips brushed against Youngjae's, he younger let out a gasp he couldn't stop. Their eyes met and he knew that Daehyun wouldn't do anything unless Youngjae wanted it. He raised his good hand and brought the older's face down to his.

Their lips met, soft and gentle, a short lived kiss that felt so long overdue. The second kiss lingered, Youngjae's hand sliding down to Daehyun's shoulders. The third kiss opened their mouths very slightly and their tongues met tentatively, tasting each other. There was a brief moment where they broke apart and looked at each other, then it was all too much.

The next kiss was passionate and heated, Daehyun's hands sliding into Youngjae's hair and Youngjae's hand grabbing at Daehyun's upper arm. Their breath came heavily as their mouths worked against each other, tongues tasting and and teeth tugging at lips. Neither of them could hold back the small noises of pleasure that escaped them and they lost track of how any times they'd kissed, and honestly didn't care so long as it it lead into another one.

They finally broke apart, gasping for air and chests heaving, neither knowing how long they'd been at it. Daehyun gazed down at Youngjae, mesmerised. The younger was flushed red, usually tidy hair thoroughly ruffled, lips lightly swollen and red, eyes half-lidded and hazy.

“Say cheese,” he breathed out and raised his phone, taking a quick snap of Youngjae.

The younger blinked a few times and frowned, “Did you just... take a photo of me?”

“You look so hot right now, I couldn't not take a photo to be honest with you.”

“Give me that! Delete it” Youngjae reached for the phone, but Daehyun held it away.

“No! I like it. It'll be nice to look back on when I'm lonely.”

“You're so gross,” Youngjae scrunched his nose off.

“Oh yeah? Then why did you want to confess to me? What was it about me that took you? Was it my incredible good looks?”

“Well that's the only thing you've got left, isn't it,” Youngjae teased.

“Hey! I have natural charms and charisma as well!” Daehyun huffed.

“If you do, I didn't notice,” Youngjae sniggered.

“Well fine, what was it then?”

Youngjae grinned and poked his tongue out, “You'll never know.”

“Oh come on, I'll tell you what drew me to you~”

“I already know that, so I don't need you to tell me.”

“What? How can you know?”

“This face? Honestly you've been eyeing me up since our first journey together.”

Daehyuns face heated up and he crawled off Youngjae's lap to sit next to him, “Ah, you got me there.”

“What? No, I was joking!”

“But it's true! The first time I saw you I thought you must've been a celebrity!”

“Shut up,” Youngjae looked away, embarassed.

“Hey,” Daehyun grinned and leaned on the younger's shoulder, “You should tell me what it is you like about me~”

“I could, or I could get off at my stop,” Youngjae said, just as the train slowed down at his station.

“Whaaat? I swear these journeys are getting shorter!”

“Well now you actually have my number, you won't have to wait until tomorrow to talk to me. I'll remind you about the tickets. Also, please get a haircut.”

“So mean,” Daehyun said, putting a hand over his heart like he'd been wounded.

“It's tough love,” Youngjae laughed, before giving Daehyun one last kiss and heading to the opening doors.

“Take the train all the way to my stop sometime!” Daehyun called out.

“We'll talk about it later!” Youngjae called back from the station.

They waved each other goodbye, Daehyun throwing heart hands at Youngjae who gave him smaller heart signs with his fingers. When the younger was out of sight, Daehyun glanced down at his phone and saw he had a message. He opened it and grinned at the three words written.