Side Tracked

Heartbeat Express

The night air tingled with the promise of snow. There was a difference in the coldness – a dryness that suggested all the moisture was too cold to hover in the air. The clouds looked thick and heavy, ready to shed pieces of white over the landscape like icing sugar. Every surface shimmered with ice, sparkling where the artificial light spilled across the floor and walls like orange and white glitter had been thrown all over the place. There was a buzz of excitement among the people.

Soon rehearsals would be done, exams would be over and Youngjae would be free. He could sleep and lounge around in his underwear and spend time with his family and watch films and do whatever he liked. He just had to get through one last day.

He hopped onto the train as it boarded and barely even had to think as his legs automatically carried him to the seat beside Daehyun. The older boy grinned and moved his bag off the chair, freeing it up for Youngjae. At some point he'd started reserving seats for his companion, and though Youngjae had about it he had to admit it made him feel pretty special.

“What's this? A major case of dandruff?” He asked, batting at Daehyun's hair and shoulders where there was a fine layer of white bits clinging to him.

“No! It's fake snow. They swapped from glitter because it got in everyone's food and was a nightmare to clean up. Hey!” He raised a hand to try to wrestle Youngjae off, who was combing his fingers through those smooth strands to get out the white bits.

“You should learn to sort yourself out before you get on a train, people will think you've got a scalp problem.”

“Okay mother, whatever you say.” He sniggered at the sharp look on Youngjae's face. “You can't talk, you haven't even tried to remove your make-up today. What's even happening here? Your eyeliner just keeps going.” He raised a finger and trailed it along the side of the younger's face, following the painted-on wing.

“I didn't have time today. I barely had time to get out of costume!” Youngjae replied, leaning away from his touch.

“Ah! That's right, today was your practical exam. How did it go?”

Youngjae was quiet for a while, trying to think of how to explain it. Daehyun shifted a little, nervous that he'd accidentally caused him some trouble.

“Not actually that bad,” Youngjae answered after a moment, giving Daehyun a strange sense of relief. “Diva guy was pretty well behaved, and his sidekick was more in control of himself today. I think the tension was just getting too much. We did well, I think. We've made plans to meet up on results day and celebrate... Or cry together, depending on the outcome.”

Daehyun grinned and let out a light chuckle, “I'm sure you did amazingly. I bet everyone was blown away by your performance! Even if you totally mess up your theory exam tomorrow it won't even matter!” He saw Youngjae's face pale considerably and quickly added, Not that you will! Because you're really smart and you'll definitely ace it!”

Youngjae threw him a look that seemed to think otherwise, and Daehyun slung an arm around his shoulders.

“You will be fine! I bet I'll see you tomorrow and you'll be all bouncing and happy! Hey, I know, I'll get you a gift for when you're done!”

“A gift..?” Youngjae raised his eyebrows.

“Yeah, like an incentive. So if you get stuck in the exam you'll think 'Ah, I can't do badly! The really cool and super handsome guy I get the train home with has got me something and I need to work hard to earn it' and then you'll definitely get one-hundred percent!”

Youngjae was shaking his head, but unable to keep the laughter from escaping. “You're an idiot. But fine, you can do that if you want. If it's a bag of glitter or fake snow, though, I might kill you.”

“Nah. It's going to be decent make-up wipes.”

“You !” Youngjae gave Daehyun a shove, but the older didn't even mind with how hard he was laughing.

They fell back into their usual conversation, talking about their plans for the holidays and resolutions for the upcoming year.

“I think I might get an undercut for the new year,” Daehyun said, twiddling a lock of his hair in his fingers. It has grown out of it's neat cut in the time they'd got to know each other.

“An undercut?” Youngjae asked, eyebrows raised.

“Yeah! It'll make it easier to manage and I can style it however I like. It'll suit my new outlook on life. You know- new year new me?”

“New you? Thank God, this you was really starting to get on my nerves.”

“Shut up,” Daehyun gave Youngjae a light punch to the shoulder. “What about you?”

“Well my resolutions are far more meaningful. Far more romantic.”

“Romantic?” Daehyun asked, raising his eyebrows.

“Yeah,” Youngjae replied proudly, “I'm going to confess to someone.”

Daehyun felt his stomach drop. He should have been happy about this news, but for some reason those words made this mouth dry and his inside twist up into knots. “Confess?” He asked, voice hoarse.

“Um, yeah.” Youngjae looked a little sheepish now, not meeting his eyes.

Daehyun shook off the gnawing feeling of wrongness and gave Youngjae a playful slap on the back. “Look at this Casanova right here! A real modern-day Romeo. You've got no reason to worry, a handsome guy like you. No one in their right mind could reject a face like yours.”

“You think?”Youngjae asked, unconsciously biting his nails.

“Well... Maybe not your face right now, considering you look like you've stepped straight out of a production of We Will Rock You.”

Youngjae slapped his shoulder and huffed, “You're such an !”

“Woah! So violent. Better not show your crush this side of you otherwise you'll never get a date!”

“Hm,” Youngjae hummed and looked away, biting his nails again.

Daehyun blinked at the strange behaviour and shifted in his seat a little. The two boys fell into an uneasy silence, neither wanting to be the first to talk.

The train trundled on, the steady rumbling of the wheels and the carriages were the only noises made. The city scape had slipped away by now and they were deep in the darkness of the countryside. With only the moon and stars visible, they might have been sailing through a dark sea, or floating through space.

“Woah,” came Youngja's soft voice.

Daehyun glanced at him, and watched as the younger stood and walked over to the furthest window to look out. He followed suit, standing to take a look at what had caught his attention.

The moon was huge, glowing disk in the sky like a stage light, surrounded by clear twinkling stars. The frosted landscape below was lit up, each curve of the hills and fields outlined in silver. The yellow light from the train flickered and danced over the immediate ground, constantly warping in shape. Only a thin part of the fields was unlit, like a river between the two coloured lights.

The view was astounding, but somehow it wasn't what Daehyun was mesmerised by. The yellow light of the train made a soft halo on Youngjae's hair and bathed his skin in a slight gold tone. But his eyes made Daehyun's chest tighten. The night sky was reflected in his dark eyes, the moon and stars shimmering as clear as if they belonged there. Surrounded by his eccentric stage make-up, Youngjae looked unearthly. It filled the older boy with a great sense of loneliness as he thought how far from his grasp the younger seemed.

Then Youngjae turned his head, and the spell was broken. “How cool does that look? It's like a painting.” He blinked at Daehyun's expression, “You okay?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah, sorry. I was miles away.” Even as he said those words, he felt that it was Youngjae who miles away. Miles from Daehyun.

Youngjae snorted and started to say something, but the train gave an almighty jerk and threw the two boys down. They hit the floor in a heap and there was a short moment where they both groaned in discomfort and pain, before their eyes locked.

Daehyun was flat on his back, hair fanned out from his face and hand gripping firmly onto the closest thing to him – which turned out to have been Youngjae's upper arm. Youngjae himself was on top of him, one arm braced against the ground and the other tucked between them against Daehyun's chest where he'd been grabbed and yanked down. Their legs were awkwardly positioned with their thighs tucked together. Their faces were inches apart, wide eyes staring and mouths still open in surprise.

There was no one else on the carriage. Just the two boys laying on the floor and gazing at one another. They didn't know how long they stayed that way, but neither seemed in a rush to change things.

“Who were you going to confess to?” Daehyun barely whispered, his breath tickling Youngjae's lips.

“What?” Youngjae frowned slightly, taken aback by this question.

“I...” Daehyun his lips nervously, “I don't think you should.”

“Why?” Youngjae pushed himself up, detangling his legs and freeing himself from Daehyun's grip.

“I don't know.”

“Are you scared it's going to change things?”

Daehyun didn't catch Youngjae's look, too busy staring down at his hands. “Maybe.”

“Hm.”

They both pulled themselves back into seats on opposite sides of the carriage, though they didn't look at one another. The rest of the journey continued in silence.

When Youngjae's stop arrived, the younger stood and went to leave.

“Youngjae?”

“Yeah?”

“See you tomorrow? Don't forget about my gift, yeah?” Daehyun forced a grin.

“Hm.” Youngjae didn't look at him as he stepped onto his station and walked away to the exit.

Daehyun hung his head and prayed the journey home would last forever.