Cancelled

Heartbeat Express

He had to talk to him, Youngjae decided as he rushed onto the platform, kicking snow from the bottom of his shoes. Maybe he misunderstood? Maybe he feels rushed? Youngjae mulled these thoughts over as he batted more snow from his shoulders and took his hat off to shake it clean. Everywhere below his knees was soaked with snow and stiff with ice. It had been a nightmare to get to the station on time. Even as he glanced up to look at the timetable, white flakes were falling past his vision.

His heart stopped.

Delayed. Every single train had that single word plastered across it in angry orange letters. Except his. His was the only train that wasn't delayed. Every single one of the possible trains he could jump on to see Daehyun – and get home, of course – said something far worse.

CANCELLED.

The word cut into his core, burned itself into his retinas and tattooed itself on every inch of his soul. The last day of the year he'd be on this line, the last time he'd have a chance to see Daehyun before next term started. The last chance he'd have to know what the other meant when he told him not to confess. The last opportunity to decide if he was going to stick by his resolution or not.

 

Daehyun sat with his head in his hands. The snow, once something so beautiful and pure for him to look on, spread itself like a coating of ash over his burned-to-the-ground life. He wouldn't see Youngjae. He didn't know what he would have said, but having the opportunity to talk to the younger ripped from his hands made everything far worse.

Why didn't I ask for his number? Daehyun smacked himself on the forehead for his own idiocy. Or even his last name? I could've have at least found him online that way. He curled his fingers into his own hair and yanked at it in frustration. He had a brief memory of the times Youngjae would pull bits from his hair and quickly let go. He couldn't do anthing.

Any moment now, they'd pass by Youngjae's stop.

Please, God, he thought to himself.

 

Now he'd never know. Whatever he decided to do, it would be too late. In the distance Youngjae could see the train approaching the station. An announcement on the speakers spoke over the heads of the people gathered on the platform.

“We are sorry to announce-”

No.

“-that this service will not be stopping-”

This can't be happening.

“-at this station-”

I need to talk to Daehyun.

“-due to major delays earlier on-”

This must be a nightmare.

“-from severe weather conditions.”

Please, God.

The train shot past him, deafeningly loud at full speed. It blurred in his vision, never for a moment able to focus on if there was a certain tanned boy sitting inside. It passed too quickly, the tail wind ripping at his clothes, blowing away the sprinkling of snow on his coat and all of his hope in his heart.

 


 

A/N: Short chapter because I like to watch the world burn.