Some Delays

Heartbeat Express

The festive season was at full pelt, streaking through everyone's life with the force of a freight train that left a trail of tinsel and fairy lights in its wake. Daehyun's face still sparkled from the glitter that had been scattered all over the place and had inevitably ended up on every inch of the employees. He'd have been far more bothered about this, if it weren't for the fact that lately Youngjae had been smeared with brightly coloured eye make-up for his dress rehearsals.

Today, Daehyun remembered, would be Youngjae's last day of college before the winter break. However, the younger boy mourned during their last journey, he would still be heading back for rehearsal time up until mid-late December. This worked out quite well for Daehyun, who would have a short break from his work to spend time with his family. If either of them would be travelling home alone at any point, it wouldn't be for long until they were both back to their usual schedules.

Daehyun waited patiently as the handful of passengers boarded. It wasn't unusual for Youngjae to be a little bit late these days. The younger boy was always running on the train just in time before the doors closed. Rehearsals seem to have been keeping him on the verge of lateness for some time.

When the doors shut, Daehyun blinked at them as though they'd spoken. He heard the bustle of the train conductors and the high pitched whistles echoing around the station. As the train burst into life, he felt himself die a little inside.

Had Youngjae just not bothered for the last day? Had he decided to catch a bus instead? Was he spending time with his classmates for their last session?

Daehyun's thoughts were interrupted by the slam of something against the side of the train and he jerked back into the real world. Youngjae was pressed against the doors, finger furiously mashing the button to let him in. He glanced up and locked eyes with Daehyun, a frantic expression on his face. Daehyun stared back, completely at a loss.

The cool metal of the train started to slide past Youngjae's hands, almost catching on his clothes. Daehyun could see him mouthing curses as he stumbled alongside the train as it headed off. Daehyun shot up from his seat and stood at the window, hands pressed against the cold trembling glass, trying to communicate anything to Youngjae. Eventually the younger started to slow down, tired as the train picked up speed.

“Next one.” He mouthed and shrugged a little, defeated.

Daehyun nodded and swallowed the lump in his throat as he watched his companion get smaller and smaller, waving his hands sadly. He waved back, not having much effort in him to do so.

It would be a long, quiet journey without Youngjae.

 

 

Youngjae crumpled in on himself on the latest train home. It was far too late for any sane person to be travelling alone and there was only one carriage on this train. It was just him on this ride. With his earbuds stuck firmly in and music turned up, he didn't even pay attention when the train paused at the stop just after the one he got on. It wasn't until someone yanked his earbud out that he even looked up.

“Hey, I always greet you when you get on the train,” a familiar thick Busan accent reprimanded, cutting him off before he could even complain, “You could at least greet me.”

Youngjae looked up into Daehyun's tired face, pink with cold but stretched into the usual grin. “You... Waited for me?” He asked, stunned.

“Obviously! I wasn't going to let you travel alone!” Daehyun plopped himself down next to Youngjae. “It's freezing outside! I'm definitely not wearing enough layers. It's not too cold when I get on the train and usually by the time I get off I'll be able to grab a hot drink and some food to keep me warm on the way home. I managed to get a heated panini from the station shop while I waited, but it's different when you're walking to when you're sat still for an hour!”

Youngjae stared at the chatty boy, still unable to process the information. “You... Waited around to get on the same train as me so you could accompany me home?”

“Yes,” Daehyun sighed exasperatedly, “That's what I'm telling you.”

Youngjae dropped his gaze down to his lap and felt a sudden surge of gratefulness for the older. “Thank you,” he mumbled into his collar.

Daehyun snorted, “Don't mention it. What kept you late? Rehearsals? Was it that diva guy?”

“Ugh,” Youngjae shuddered at the thought, “He was such a nightmare today. We're all stressed about the performance and our exams and he just kept saying things weren't good enough. Even his sidekick got tired of his nonsense and told him to shut up. I wish he'd spoken up a little sooner, though. I might have actually got out on time.”

“Ooh. Sounds like rebellion. Viva la revolution! Now is the time to rise forces against him and take your throne!”

Youngjae rolled his eyes, “Sure. I'll keep that in mind.”

“You could get a crown. Does the diva guy wear a crown? Please tell me he does. It says something like 'Queen Primadonna' or something on it, right? We can get you one like that.”

“No, he doesn't.”

“That's a shame. I'm sure I can find you one like that anyway. 'Pretty Princess' or something like that.” Daehyun sniggered at Youngjae's narrowed eyes.

“Your hair,” Youngjae commented, and reached out a hand to bat an explosion of glitter from Daehyun's head. The neat brown locks were incredibly soft to the touch. “It looks like a fairy died in it.”

“Hey, you don't get to say that. You literally have blue smears all over your face.”

“At least I tried to clean it- wait, your whole face is glittering. Did you go to a drag show while you waited?”

“No! This is for work!”

“You're a drag queen now?”

“No! It's just decoration that got all over me!”

“Really? You sure you're not hiding a stuffed bra under that coat?”

“I regret my decisions. I should have laughed in your face and stayed on that train. I could be nearly home by now.”

Youngjae sniggered, but they subsided quickly. He chewed his nails nervously before speaking again, “Seriously, that was really nice of you to wait. You didn't have to, you know.”

“I know,” Daehyun said, looking away, “But I wanted to. I like talking to you when I go home.”

Youngjae felt warmth rush up his neck and into his ears. He dropped his gaze down to his lap, trying to quell the burst of emotion that fluttered around his chest like fireflies.

There was a long silence between them as they refused to look at each other. Though neither of them noticed, they both sported equally red cheeks. It wasn't until the silence dragged on a little too long for Youngjae's comfort that he stuck up conversation.

“So, uh, was everyone covered in glitter or just you?”

“Oh jees, you should have seen it. The tough guy just got waaaay too excited about the glitter and by the end of it he looked like some cheap kids toy,” Daehyun happily responded, falling immediately back into his chatty self, “The tall kid's mind was just blown. I think he'd been trying to avoid the glitter to be cool but this guy was just throwing it about and laughing. It was magical.”

Youngjae felt a smile pull across his face as he listened to Daehyun talk, and it wasn't until a few minutes later he realised he'd completely lost track of what the older boy was actually saying. It didn't matter, he reasoned to himself as Daehyun talked on without break.

 

He didn't know at what point he'd dozed off, but with a little shake he found himself waking up. The side of his face was squashed against something soft, and as he breathed he inhaled a comforting musk that filled his senses.

“Hey, Youngjae. This is your stop. You need to get up.” Daehyun's voice was soft, very close to his face where his warm breath brushed over his skin.

He sat up blearily, suddenly aware that he'd been slumped against Daehyun's shoulder, and saw that what he'd said was true. His station was right in front of him and the doors were opening.

“Oh. Oh I'm sorry I didn't mean to fall asleep.”

Daehyun laughed a little. “No, it's fine. You look so tired. Go on, go home before you fall asleep again.”

“Yeah, yeah,” he replied groggily, “Thanks for waking me up. You're great.”

He reached back as he stood up, patting Daehyun's head but mostly batting him in the face. Daehyun reached up and took hold of his hand to save himself, but held it for a little moment longer than necessary.

“Get home safe, yeah?”

Youngjae glanced down at him, midway through rubbing his eyes. “Yeah. You too. See you around.”

They smiled at each other, and Youngjae half stumbled off the train. Instead of heading off like usual, he waited around to wave Daehyun goodbye until the two of them were small dots in the distance to one another.

The rest of the journey home, Daehyun felt a strange emptiness where Youngjae had been sleeping on him, and briefly wondered what would have happened if he'd let him stay asleep until they reached the last stop.