Last Stop

Heartbeat Express

The world turned. The ground grew warm and flowers blossomed. The leaves changed from vibrant greens to oranges and red. Ponds frosted over. Snow melted and green buds poked from the earth. The world went about its cycle like a train going around the tracks.

A cold wind rustled the coats of the many people waiting at the station, all bundled up in scarves and hats. Though the rush hour had passed, there was still a number of late-leavers with large bags of shopping and an air of exhaustion as they waited for the train. Among them stood a young man with black hair cut neatly across his brow and a thick sweater to keep him from the cold. On his shoulder rested a bag with the last of his belongings crammed tightly in.

Youngjae hated the holiday season- or, at least the human tide it brought with it. He was glad he'd worked out a system to avoid it years ago. In fact, that system had brought him more than just a way of avoiding the crowds. As the train he'd been waiting for pulled into the station he could see one of the major things that had come into his life sat on one of the seats.

“You made it!” Daehyun called happily, making space to allow Youngjae to sit beside him.

“I wasn't exactly struggling for time. I just had to grab my last things and get here. I still think we should've kept everything at my place and called the moving trucks to there. Your place is so far away from the apartment it's ridiculous.”

“Hey, it worked out better and my parents wanted to pay for it. By the time I'd have gone home from work, got my things together then got to your place it would have been really late.” Daehyun slung an arm around Youngjae's shoulders and pulled him close. “Besides, it's easier for me to drive from my place than to try to park outside your house. There's never space there!”

Youngjae chuckled a little, “How weird is it that soon it won't be my place or your place, it's going to be our place.”

“So close to work as well. It's pretty exciting.” He grinned and leaned in to place a gentle kiss to Youngjae's lips, who returned the gesture happily.

They smiled at each other before Youngjae frowned a little and reached up. He brushed his fingers over the shaved side of Daehyun's head and dug this tips of his fingers into the longer strands on the top. He fiddled for a moment before removing a shiny piece of plastic.

“You have confetti in your hair,” he observed, and flicked the offending decoration in Daehyun's face.

“Ah, there's always something this time of year.” He brushed his fingers through his hair, working out a few more pieces of confetti.

“Maybe I should buy you a hair net or a hat?” Youngjae sniggered.

“Hey, you can't talk. Last time you were on stage you had those ridiculous tattoos on your face. Do you know what it's like waking up and seeing your face covered in smeared face-paint and all the bedsheets ruined. You better remember to wash properly before bed at the apartment.”

“That was one time, and you know I'm better at cleaning it up! You're the reason my carpet had glitter in it for three months.”

“Our apartment is going to get so messy during the winter. Especially when you do your seasonal plays.”

“At least I have an excuse. You just get covered in stuff for no reason.”

“Excuses don't get stains out of the sheets,” Daehyun teased.

“You got them out in the end.” Youngjae rolled his eyes. “Anyway, did you ask your coworkers if they'd make it to the housewarming party?”

“Junhong and Yongguk are up for it, everyone else is busy. I hope the ceiling isn't too low, Junhong is so tall these days he might take the light fxings out if he's not careful. What about the theatre lot?”

“Himchan and Jongup are free, and Himchan's quit his diet so he won't be annoying while he's there.”

“No more annoying than he already is, you mean.”

“You know, I really can't tell weather or not you get along. But he's way more chilled these days, and Jongup's been chattier lately. He'll be a lot of fun.”

“Oh wow, I'm getting really excited now. We're going to be moved in! You and me!”

“I know. I was thinking about this when I was waiting for the train. It's weird how we met on this train a few years ago with no idea... And now, this is the last time we'll ever be on it...”

“Huh... Yeah, I didn't think of it like that. I guess this train has taken us more places than just home. Hey, remember that time it was completely empty and I undressed you and-”

“Daehyun, shut up! People might hear!”

The older sniggered and leaned in, brushing his lips against Youngjae's ear. “Now we'll have all the alone time in the apartment, we can try anything out.”

Youngjae leaned away and frowned at Daehyun's wiggling eyebrows, his face burning red. “You're so embarrassing, we're in public!”

“I know, and your blush is so cute.”

“Shut up!”

“You love when I do this, though. You know you do.”

Youngjae didn't answer, instead pouted at the other. He hated to admit, but Daehyun was right. He loved the older man's teasing and how blunt he was about his feelings. The sheer straightforwardness of him had been what Youngjae was drawn to in the first place. He felt, more than anyone else, he could trust Daehyun with anything.

 

The station that Daehyun usually got off was quiet, the late hours not allowing for much transport or many passengers. The older man took in a deep breath as he looked at the station he'd considered a symbol of home for so many years. A warm hand wrapped around his own and he glanced to the side to find Youngjae smiling at him.

“Hey, you know what I just noticed?” He asked.

“What?” Youngjae raised his eyebrows a little.

“The train line we're on is red on the map.”

“Okay, and?”

Daehyun shrugged a little, “It's like a red string of fate, isn't it?”

Youngjae snorted and shook his head, “Was that you trying to be romantic?”

“I can be far more romantic than that!” Daehyun huffed indignantly.

“Okay, sure you can.” Youngjae rolled his eyes and went to walk away, but was suddenly grabbed and lifted from the ground. “What are yo-” he began, startled.

“My love! You will never have to set another foot on the ground while I stand! I shall carry you great distances if it pleases you! No longer will you be expected to travel like a commoner!”

“Daehyun put me down!”

“Anything to please you my darling!” Daehyun set Youngjae down and knelt before him “Anything you ask of me, my darling, shall be yours!”

“Well, first of all, you can get up and stop being an idiot. Then you can buy me a coffee for the road home.”

“Anything you desire!” Daehyun jumped up and grabbed Youngjae's hand, laughing as he lead the younger to the exit of the train station.

Youngjae looked at his laughing boyfriend and smiled, thanking every person on that train years ago who could've been between them but instead pushed them together.

 


 

A/N: Thank you everyone who followed this story as I wrote it each day. Every comment has meant so much to me and I was amazed when it hit over 1000 views before it was even finished. Honestly, I've had so much fun writing this and I'm proud of myself for not taking a day off. 

I hope this last chapter was good for you all and the story hasn't disappointed. If you haven't read my other work please do check out my stuff, and I would be very greatful if you could check out things I write in future.

Please anticipate more work from me and support my stuff- I do this in my free time when I don't have major deadlines. Hopefully my writing will continue to improve and I can produce better and longer stories in the future!

Thank you again for reading! It's been really fun and I'm so greatful!!