Connection Lines

Heartbeat Express

Daehyun drummed his hands on his knees as he watched the station roll across his view. The orange city lights twinkled and glittered like cinders in a dimming fire. They gave a deceptive image of warmth that contrasted to the chill that the waiting people at the station protected themselves against. When the train stopped moving and the doors clicked open, Daehyun sat up with searching eyes.

A few people boarded the strain and he scanned their faces, peering between scarves and woolly hats and upturned collars for those sleek eyes and high cheekbones. When he couldn't identify them among the people around him, he glanced down the neighbouring carriages. He normally sat in the middle one, but this wasn't his normal train. It was the later train.

It had probably been more of a joking agreement, and he'd only just started speaking to the guy, but his stomach sunk a little when he couldn't find Youngjae among the new passengers. He probably should have seen this coming, he reasoned, but he had waited an extra hour just to make sure the two could chat on their journey. A rush of disappointment washed over him as the doors started to close and for a moment he felt incredibly stupid.

That is, until a familiar voice yelled out and there was an almighty thud of someone leaping onto the train. Daehyun jerked his head towards the sight of Youngjae, pink faced and breathless, doubled over in the entry way of the carriage.

He couldn't help it. He began to laugh. “How were you late for the late train?” He asked between giggles.

Youngjae threw him a sharp glare. “My rehearsals ran over and the bus was stuck in traffic. Quit laughing at me! I only rushed because of our dumb promise. Otherwise I'd have jumped on a coach.”

“Awww, I'm glad our agreement meant so much to you. I knew that deep past those scathing remarks and cruel words you had a warm heart that was just lost in the winter cold.”

“Oh my God, I will get off at the next stop if you don't shut up,” Youngjae grumbled as a flopped down in the seat next to Daehyun.

“This is fate, Youngjae. You're like the cold city guy that needs someone to warm their soul with kindness and love.”

“You're talking about us like we're characters in some kind of badly written romance story,” Youngjae said, nose scrunched at Daehyun's batting eyelashes.

“Maybe we are. Maybe you've had a secret raging for me since I fell on your lap?”

“That's it, I'm moving to the next carriage.”As Youngjae pretended to stand, Daehyun grabbed hold of his arm.

“Nooooo! I'll keep off the overt acts of affection until chapter four when you've come to find my playful ways endearing.”

“Stop saying weird things. Let go of my arm!” He shook Daehyun off, who fell into another fit of laughter.

As the journey rumbled on, they fell back into their previous light conversation as they got to know each other a little bit better. Youngjae talked about his brother and Daehyun talked about his. They discussed their singing training and their first time on stage. When they started discussing embarrassing experiences on stage they both fell into wheezing laughter, collapsed against each other.

When they both settled down, they were leant on one another. The cold air around them seemed less of a problem as their warm bodies shared heat. The gentle thrum of the train barely covered the sounds of them getting their breaths back. With the gentle motion of the train, the late evening darkness outside, the silence that had settled between them, the warmth they shared and the comfortable coat-clad shoulder he was leaning against, Youngjae felt about ready to fall asleep right there.

Until Daehyun spoke up again.

“So your rehearsals kept you late? What happened.”

“Ugh,” Youngjae scrunched his face at the memory of what had caused him such trouble, “We have this guy in my class who's a little bit older, but he's such a diva.”

Daehyun snorted. “A diva?”

“Yeah. He's so flamboyant and ridiculous. He's a brilliant actor and he knows it, and he's got a good voice too. He just flaunts his abilities and bosses us around.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah. Worst part is he's got this kid who follows him around like a puppy.”

“Aaah, classic villain and side-kick duo.” Daehyun nodded knowingly, “Its like you're Gabriella and they're Sharpay and Ryan.”

Youngjae blinked at him slowly. “I can't believe you made a High School Musical reference at me.”

“If the glove fits~”

“I'm never catching the train with you again.”

“Nooooo! I take it back. Just tell me about your musical nemesis. We can plan defeating him in a grand evil scheme.”

“Okay that's stupid, but whatever. He's just... People let him get away with stuff because he's pretty and everyone loves him.

“You think he's pretty?”

“That's it. I'm leaving. I can see empty seats in the next carriage.”

“I'm joookiiiiinggg~”

“Fine, I'll stay. What about you, got any problem people where you work?”

Daehyun pursed his lips as he thought about it. “Not really. We have this one kid who's a waiter. He's good, really cute and all, but he's in awe of one of our other waiters and he embarrasses himself all the time. He's trying to be as cool and collected as him, but this kid is like a hundred meters tall and the mysterious cool guy thing doesn't work out for him so well.”

Youngjae snorted. “A million meters tall?”

“More or less! We all have to look up at him and he's younger than all of us. He only works part time and I swear the only reason they haven't fired him is because customers think he's adorable. When he's not trying to be just like the other guy he's really competent and the kid has reflexes like I've never seen. He'll be holding all these plates and see someone drop something and he'll catch it with a finger.” Daehyun emphasises this last bit by pretending to grab at Youngjae's face, making the younger flinch back.

“Sounds like entertainment more than anything.”

“Yeah, mostly. But the guy he looks up to really is cool. He's got this awesome deep voice and this really tough-guy look about him, but he's actually really nice. I swear he's been enlightened at some point, the things he says.”

“Are you in awe of him too? Do you mess up your songs while you stare at your crush?” Youngjae sniggered.

“Nevermind, you can definitely move carriage. Go on, go away.” Daehyun gave Youngjae a shove.

The younger burst out laughing and batted away Daehyun's insistent hands, thoroughly glad he'd managed to make it on the late train. The agreement to tease this boy every day after college was definitely a good decision, he decided.