Arranged Marriage

Falling Rose Petals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Donghae’s eyes became as wide as marbles as he read the message a million times. He was in his office at the time, but the day had been slow enough that he knew he could get away with talking to his Jewel. He cleared his throat and typed in his number to the website. His heart palpitated in his chest as he waited patiently. When his phone rang, his heart stopped. He stared at it for a while before he finally answered it, “H-Hello?” he blushed because his voice came out incredibly higher pitched.

            Eunhyuk smiled on the other line, “Hey, it’s nice to finally hear your voice.”

            Donghae smiled brightly, it was nice to hear finally hear his voice. “Yea but I might get in trouble because it’s barely 3 pm over here, so I’m working...” He whispered into the phone, but smiled.

            “Oh sorry! Do you want to talk another time?”

            “N-No…I’ll be a rebel for a bit.” He giggled and Eunhyuk’s smile grew. “So tell me, Hyukjae, what is your intake on soulmates.” He leaned back on his seat and smiled as he attentively listened to the way Hyukjae breathed on the other line.

            “Don’t make fun of me, please.” Eunhyuk groaned but smiled brightly, “I saw it in a dream once.”

            “No.” Donghae gasped, “If I started taking my dreams seriously then I should be dead because I’ve fallen in them so many times.” He continued to whisper. Eunhyuk laughed and Donghae grinned, “What did you dream?”

            “It wasn’t really a dream, honestly. I don’t know it was weird.” Eunhyuk laughed nervously. “I just know that there has to be someone out there that will make me feel complete.” Donghae sighed lightly. “I know it’s cheesy. I guess I’m a hopeless romantic.” He shrugged and Donghae smiled.

            “No that’s not a bad thing, at all. I can be romantic too if I really like the person, but…it’s just that….” He paused for a while to collect his thoughts. “You’re not incomplete Hyukjae. You should find and be with someone that inspires you to be a better you. You need someone that will support you in everything, and just…” he smiled nervously, “love you selflessly and unconditionally.”

            Eunhyuk smiled brightly, “Wow…thank you, Aiden. Really, thank you. That puts everything in a much different perspective. When will you be coming to Korea? We should meet up…” He felt his heart beat accelerating.

            Donghae smiled but then blushed deeply when his boss poked his head into the door. He started telling him about paperwork he forgot to file and Donghae quickly apologized. “Sorry, I need to get back to work.” He pouted, “But I should be getting back in a month or so….” He felt nervous suddenly, “But yes…we should meet up…” he beamed. “I’ll talk to you soon, Sparkles.” He whispered and then giggled.

            Eunhyuk’s smile touched his ears, “Well whenever we do meet up I’ll make sure to bring a lot of Disney movies so we could sing along to them.” Eunhyuk’s smile grew when his prince laughed at that. “Talk to you soon, Prince. Have a good day.”

            “I’ll talk to you soon, Hyukjae….have a good night.” Donghae whispered and hung up with the biggest smile on his face. For the first time in a long time he could genuinely say that he could talk to someone for many hours each day.  

            Eunhyuk had the biggest smile on his face as he placed his phone on his mattress. He chuckled as he changed into his sweats and cuddled up with his blankets. He slept peacefully that night and couldn’t wait until he talked to his parents that upcoming weekend.

            The rest of the week was busy for the two of them, but they managed to sneak a few conversations in between their schedules. Eunhyuk was at a meeting when he received a text from his prince, and he smiled widely as he sneakily read it.

            ‘I’m having a crisis! I don’t know what to do! Call me asap!!!!’

            He frowned and snuck away from the meeting for a few minutes while he called Aiden. He almost panicked when he took longer than expected to answer. “Hey!” Donghae replied in his higher pitched voice- it’s how he spoke when he was really happy. Before Eunhyuk could say anything, Donghae whined, “I don’t know what I should watch!” he whined childishly and then pouted, “Should I watch a movie or a Tv show?” Eunhyuk parted his lips but Donghae continued. “Should I watch Supernatural or Sinister?” Eunhyuk wanted to reply but Donghae kept cutting him off, “Maybe I should watch Big hero 6…”

            Eunhyuk laughed, “I thought it was something serious! You made me get out of my meeting for TV?” he chuckled while Donghae’s eyes widened. He began to feel genuinely sorry and apologized for it, “No, No. It’s okay, really. I just have to get back now, but I definitely recommend Supernatural. Prepare your feelings though.” He chuckled.

            Donghae beamed, “Aw thank you! Seriously I was so lost, I thought I’d waste most of the night just crying about what to watch. But have fun at your meeting!”

            He laughed because his prince was just too adorable. “Thanks I’ll need it.” He groaned. “Talk to you soon, Prince.”

            “Bye, Jewel.” He grinned as they hung up. He shook his head and rolled his eyes when he realized how happy he was every time he spoke to Hyukjae, but he couldn’t help it. Donghae chewed on his lower lip and wondered what it’d be like to finally meet Hyukjae. It was something he thought about constantly.

           

            It was Saturday morning when Eunhyuk headed to his parent’s house once again, but this time he was determined to get out of the engagement. Neither him nor Hyuna wanted the wedding, so it just couldn’t happen. He knocked on the door and waited patiently. He smiled when his mother opened the door, but then frowned when he noticed her eyes were red and puffy, “Mom? What’s wrong?” he quickly scanned her to check if she was hurt in some way.

            She sniffled and shook her head, “I’m so glad you’re here, son.” She cried heavily as she hugged him tightly; her tears stained his shirt and he was panicking. He was freaking out because he had no idea what was going on. “Mom please talk to me.”

            She wiped away her tears and pulled him towards the couch. They sat down and she looked at him, “We didn’t want to worry you…” Eunhyuk rubbed her back and urged her to go on. “Son, it’s your father…” She sniffled. “He’s sick…” She broke down into tears.

            Eunhyuk’s eyes widened in horror and he held his mother by her shoulders, “What are you talking about? Mom? Look at me.” She wiped away her tears and looked him in his eyes. “What do you mean…he’s…sick….” He shook his head a couple of times before a numbing feeling took over him; it was like his body couldn’t react because if it did, he’d puke. He stared at his mother with tears in his eyes.

            “That’s why we really want you to get married, Hyukjae…” She took his hands in between hers and kissed the tip of his fingers. “B-Because your father doesn’t want to miss that day…he wants to see you in your wedding day more than anything in this world, Hyukjae. It’s what we’ve always talked about since you were a little boy..” She trembled and Eunhyuk embraced her warmly; he kissed the top of her head and sobbed quietly. Deep down, he always knew there was something wrong with his father, he noticed he had his weak days and how he always relied on prescription pills. But he always denied it because he couldn’t imagine living a life without his father.

            Eunhyuk stood up slowly, and walked into his parents room. His heart fell when he saw his father sleeping, his face was pale and he had five prescription bottles on his nightstand. Eunhyuk approached him, and kissed his head as he smiled sadly. He wiped away his tears and stayed with his father for a moment longer. His body felt heavy and he didn’t dare ask his mother of his father’s health because he wanted to be kept in the dark. He didn’t want to believe it was real.

            He didn’t allow himself to think about anything for the next couple of days, but he did cry. He cried himself to sleep many nights and even through the tears he forced his mind to remain blank. He didn’t want to imagine the death of his father.

            On that night, he called Donghae.

            “Hey, Sparkles….where were you? You went MIA for a couple of days….” Donghae leaned against the wall and waited for a while to hear Hyukjae’s response but he knew something was wrong. He could tell by the way Hyukjae breathed, “What’s wrong, Hyukjae? Talk to me please…” He pouted lightly.

            Eunhyuk was on his bed, his lights were off and it was pit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter