A childhood friend

One Step At A Time

The hour hand of the clock struck five o’clock in the afternoon, thus closing the final class of the day. The three first-year students were still scribbling away, copying the remaining notes on the whiteboard as their lecturer gathered his teaching materials and exited the lecture hall. Shortly after, Chansung lightly tossed his pen on his notebook page and stretched his arms.

 

“You’re done?” Wooyoung tilted his head at his friend, his eyes fixed on his notebook.

 

“Heol, what’s with your handwriting?” Junho laughed after glancing at the maknae’s notes. “I don’t remember saying we’re doing a race.”

 

“Pft, what are we? Elementary school kids?” Wooyoung good-humoredly mocked Junho, laughing along with him.

 

“My handwriting’s always been like that okay,” said Chansung as he started stuffing his books into his bag. “Anyway, are you guys done? I’m hungry.” He pouted.

 

“I’m done,” Wooyoung announced as he closed his notebook and put away his pen. He then chuckled, “It’s not anywhere near dinnertime even, Chan. You sure eat a lot.”

 

“I have to eat every hour,” Chansung joked, pulling his bag strap over his shoulder.

 

They waited for Junho to finish packing his things into his bag and together they left the lecture hall. The corridor was crowded as countless students were milling around, deciding what to do for the evening, including the boys. “So, where to?” Wooyoung asked.

 

“Food!” Chansung answered enthusiastically.

 

Junho laughed, “Sorry, guys. I have work in my club. I’ll join you guys for dinner later.”

 

“See you later, then!” Chansung and Wooyoung called after him as he turned a corner, a hand waving as an answer.

 

Junho was getting rather busy in his club lately. When Chansung asked what he was doing, his answer was “composing. I’m really on a roll for it!” Junho belonged to their college’s modern music club and they had almost everything associated to music and composing. Junho was thrilled to be able to study thorough music composition; something that he had never really gotten the chance to explore when he was younger, hence his talent was unveiled after joining the club in the beginning of his college life.

 

“C’mon, hyung,” Chansung urged as he grabbed Wooyoung’s hand, “I want ddeokbokki.”

 

Chuckling, Wooyoung followed him. They made their way to the main entrance, exited the building and headed towards the street food vendors alley a few minutes from their college grounds. In the alley, they went straight to their usual vendor, an ahjumma who sold tons of Korean street foods. After ordering two servings of ddeokbokki, bungeoppang, kimbap and watermelon juice, Chansung and Wooyoung sat down at a table and sipped their drinks.

 

When their food arrived, Chansung started digging in happily, causing his hyung to giggle at the way he ate. Wooyoung, however, poked at his share of food and only paid attention to his juice, occasionally taking a bite of the fish cake. He was, let’s just say, not in need of the food at that moment, unlike Chansung, so he chopsticked his ddeokbokki for the maknae and grinned when he inhaled the food zealously.

 

Wooyoung liked how Chansung would always accept whatever food they feed him, which made him want to keep feeding his big maknae. “You eat well, Channie,” Wooyoung said lovingly.

 

“Thanks for the food, hyung,” Chansung beamed at Wooyoung after finishing everything on the table. “It was delicious!”

 

“I hope you still have space for dinner later, you bear,” Wooyoung replied, gently nudging the maknae’s stomach.

 

***

 

Meanwhile, in the large modern music clubroom, Junho sat down at one of the computers and booted it up. He was in the middle of composing his second song, which he started after having had received mountains of praises and encouragements from his seniors for his first ever finished song. He was elated to be able to learn and receive support from his seniors; several of them whom even had their songs released through the college’s broadcasting system.

 

Junho put on the headphones and picked up a mechanical pencil with his left hand while maneuvering the mouse with his right. He was doing some adjustments with the length of the chorus while nibbling on the back of the pencil with his lips when he heard a knock on the clubroom door through the breaks of the music in his ears. His back facing the clubroom entrance, he could not see the visitor but could only hear their voices; apparently, the club president was talking to the visitor. Junho did not pay attention since he was only a freshman in the clubroom that was comprised of mainly second- and third-year students.

 

Out of the corner of his eyes, he caught three people, including the club president, moving around the clubroom. She was showing the visitors around and Junho thought, new club members? Curious, he shifted his gaze from the computer screen and peeked at the visitors.

 

Junho registered two males aside from his club president, one taller than the other. The taller one had short, jet-black hair that revealed his sleek forehead and was clad in a dark green button-down shirt under a denim jacket and white pants. Junho was looking at his side profile and caught glimpses of his dimple when he occasionally flashed a grin. The shorter male had his back facing Junho so all he could see was his broad shoulders, his smooth, straight, dark brown hair and that he sported a pink-and-white knit sweater over a simple white T-shirt and a pair of black jeans.

 

Wait a minute, said Junho’s mind. Those broad shoulders vaguely knocked at Junho’s memories. However, he shook it off and told himself that it was impossible. He turned his attention back to the monitor and put his headphones back on. While he was going over the first verse of his song, his head slightly nodding along the beat, Junho felt eyes on him and his work. Swirling his rotatable chair around, he came face-to-face with his club president, the tall male and–

 

“Minjunnie-hyung?” Junho lightly gasped as he removed his headphones, getting on his feet.

 

“Juneo?” Minjun’s eyes widened.

 

“It’s really you, hyung!” Junho exclaimed happily as he rushed over and squished himself against Minjun, hugging him.

 

“Hey, big boy,” Minjun chuckled as he patted Junho’s back before releasing himself from Junho’s embrace. Minjun was instantly greeted with Junho’s cute grin and eye-smile. “I didn’t know you attend this college,” they both said at once and then laughed.

 

“Excuse us for a bit, sunbae-nim,” Junho flashed a smile at his club president as he pushed Minjun by his shoulders out of the clubroom for a little reunion chat. On the way out, Minjun took hold of the taller male’s hand and exited the room together.

 

“You’ve grown so much, Juneo!” Minjun gushed, ruffling the younger one’s hair.

 

“You talk like an old man as usual,” Junho laughed.

 

Minjun then introduced the person that he was holding hands with to Junho, though rather shyly, “This is Taecyeon, my boyfriend.”

 

“Ah, nice to meet you. I’m Junho,” Junho grinned and offered his hand for a handshake.

 

“Nice to meet you too; and thanks to you, I got to hear Minjunnie declare that I’m his,” Taecyeon chuckled dorkily, shaking Junho’s hand.

 

Minjun lightly slapped Taecyeon’s upper arm, a tint of blush appearing on his cheeks, “I really should not have said that.”

 

“You don’t have to, anyway, because I have this,” Taecyeon replied as he held up their hands, fingers intertwined.

 

Junho chuckled at the couple’s interactions and could not resist commenting, “You two are adorable together.”

 

“Aww, thank you~” Taecyeon beamed at Junho, causing Minjun to blush harder.

 

“A-anyway, Juneo, you should get back in now. You were working on your song right,” Minjun said, changing the subject.

 

“Ah, speaking of which, you‘re joining the club too? Hyung still does music right?” Junho asked.

 

“Yeah, I’ll probably start next week, after I’m settled with my class schedules. Taecyeonnie won’t be joining, though,” Minjun informed Junho, pouting when he told him about Taecyeon not joining.

 

“Well, I’m sorry for not being musically-inclined,” Taecyeon playfully rolled his eyes at his boyfriend.

 

“Minjun-hyung is easy to tease, isn’t it?” Junho giggled.

 

“So true,” Taecyeon laughed along with him, ignoring Minjun’s whining.

 

“Just get back in, Juneo,” Minjun turned Junho back to the clubroom door; but Junho spun around and gave Minjun another hug.

 

“I really missed you, hyung. It’s been so long,” Junho said seriously.

 

“Yeah, I know. Hyung’ll see you again, okay? Catch you up later,” Minjun smiled at the younger one and steered him back into the clubroom. He then thanked the music club’s president before closing the clubroom door behind him.

 

Minjun came facing directly with a pouting Taecyeon, his cheeks puffed up adorably. “Minjunnie, you let him hug you so much,” Taecyeon whined.

 

“Aww, my Taecyeonnie’s jealous?” Minjun finally found the chance to back.

 

Taecyeon stuffed both of his hands into his pants pockets and hung his head, causing his boyfriend to chuckle. Minjun bent down to look at his face that was facing the ground. He raised his hands, wanting to pinch his puffed up cheeks, but instead, Taecyeon took the chance and pecked Minjun’s forehead. “Gotcha!” Taecyeon grinned mischievously, his dimples clearly showing on his cheeks.

 

You meanie!” Minjun pouted, blushing. “We are in public, Taec.

 

Well, there’s no one around us,” still grinning, Taecyeon answered nonchalantly and reached for Minjun’s hand. “Let’s go get dinner.

 

 

[A/N] Achievement~ I wrote two new pairings even though I only intended to write Junbros. I tried ChanWoo here though I said I wasn’t able to write about them in chapter 2. They came out pretty adorable ^^ This chapter is also longer than my previous ones. I could not believe I only wrote 700+ for chapter 1, so damn little lol