Burning

X Is For A Soft Kiss, O Is For A Circled Hug (XOXO)

So...I might be updating a lot less now, because I'm finally figuring out that I'm not good at deadlines. Either way, I'll do my best. Thanks.

Also, I'm not exactly an angst/drama/sad stuff writer, so ultimately, this won't end sadly. I hope. Maybe my writing will be sad, as in bad, but...I'll quit while I'm ahead. Okay. Yeah.

Lastly, Jongin's dad's name is not his dad's name IRL. I made it up. Huzzah.


It was a well-known fact, even to Kyungsoo, that the first meeting with a significant other's parent was awkward.

However, no one ever warned him what it would be like to meet a significant other's parent who also happened to be a very dangerous tea lover.

"This is fantastic," Jongin's father said, tipping his head back and gulping down yet another glass of Kyungsoo's iced tea. "I like the hint of mint in here. Hah. Hint of mint. Get it? It rhymes." He chuckled and shook his head, the silver sheen of a piercing glinting in the dim light of Jongin's dorm room.

Kyungsoo glanced over at Jongin, who had his face in his hands. "Th-thank you, sir."

"Please. Call me Jungho." Jongin's father waved a hand.

"I--that's very informal, s-sir, I'm not sure--"

"In Europe they just called each other by their first names. I'm used to that now, so it would actually feel better for me if you just called me Jungho." The man leaned forward and smiled.

"It just feels stra--"

Lay cleared his throat from the open door, where he was bandaging Kris' wounds in the hallway. 

Kyungsoo swallowed. "Okay. Yes. Jungho. Good name."

Jungho's smile grew, to an almost maniacal degree. "Atta boy." He sighed and patted his stomach, falling back against Chayeol's bed. "Damn. Never thought I'd ever get full on iced tea."

Jongin sighed. "Dad, where's your ?"

"I lost him somewhere," Jungho said, waving a hand vaguely at the window. 

"You do realize that the police are going to get involved, right?" 

"I'm going to get a slap on the wrist back at Hell, I guess." Jungho shrugged. "But I wanted to see my son. After all, he didn't call me for months."

It was silent in the room for a few minutes, the only thing breaking the silence being the tearing and slipping of bandages and medical tape.

Finally, Jungho yawned, scimitar-like canine teeth bared. "It's already two in the morning. Kitten here needs to sleep."

Kyungsoo blinked at the reference. 

Jongin stood up, moving slightly to put himself between his father and Kyungsoo. "Yeah. Come on, Soo, let's go to--"

"Wait. I want to talk to him first. Just five minutes." Jungho held up a hand. "I swear I won't hurt him. I'll behave."

"No. Soo, come on--"

"Jongin."

A parental edge finally crept into Jungho's voice, making him sound--for the first time--like a father. "I just want to talk to my son's friend about my son," he said, smile completely gone. "I won't cause trouble. Let me have a chat with him."

Jongin looked over at Lay and the incapacitated Kris, then back. "Five minutes." He gave Kyungsoo's hand a squeeze, ignoring the whine of protest that the cat made, and stepped over the Dragons outside, pulling the door shut behind him. 

Kyungsoo was shivering as Jungho turned his red eyes on him. Every nerve was electrified, and the cat inside screamed RUN, but Kyungsoo was glued to his spot on floor, almost by Jungho's gaze alone. 

The wolf studied Kyungsoo for a long moment before breaking into a smile.

" , I scared you," he said. "Nah, kiddo. I wouldn't mess you up. You're too cute."

Kyungsoo stammered out syllables that didn't belong together. 

Jungho laughed. "You really are cute. I know why Jongin likes you."

Kyungsoo ducked his head. "Th-thank you?"

For a heartbeat, he could've sworn that Jungho and Jongin were the same person. A sharpness in the father's set jaw was reminiscent of the son's. Their red eyes were identical, and although Jongin's hair had a more golden tint, both men had rumpled bedheads, despite the fact that both of them ran their hands through to smooth it down multiple times. The exact same way. Even their voices--though one was deeper and older--shared a similar air best described as a high rumble.

"What's your relationship with Nini?" Jungho asked, leaning with his elbows on his knees. "It doesn't look like you're just friends."

"We're d-dating."

"Thought so. No one in their right mind could resist you."

Kyungsoo's face flushed bright red. 

"You matched?"

"Yes."

"So were me and Jongin's mom. Look how it is now."

Both sat in a mutual, trusting quiet.

"Nini used to call me every week when he got here," Jungho muttered. "He hasn't done that since school ended last year. Wrote me a letter, but it got confiscated before I could finish reading it." There was a hint of disappointment, but no bitterness.

"O-oh."

"You take care of Jongin, okay?" Jungho continued. "That boy...he needs someone to take care of him. If he's anything like me, then...well, treasure your time with him." He looked away. "You might not keep him for long."

Jongin pushed the door open. "Time's up. Let's go, Soo."

Kyungsoo gave one last look to the older wolf hybrid in the grey jacket and jeans. "It was nice talking to you, sir--Jungho. Sorry."

Jungho winked and stood up. "Well, I should probably go find Thomas."

"Thomas?"

"The . I think I know where he is. If I find him before he finds me, I might be able to get out of big trouble." Jungho threw open the window and peered out, then gave a thumbs-up. "Jongin? Kyungsoo? Stay safe."

And with that, he was gone.


Sehun's soft breaths filled the still air of the dorm room, and though normally they were a lullaby, Kyungsoo found it hard to sleep.

It had been two days since Jungho had visited, but the man's words reverberated in Kyungsoo's head even now. You might not keep him for long. Whatever that meant.

As silently as he could, Kyungsoo slipped out of the dorm room and into the dark hallway. The light at the end of the hall had finally been fixed, but now it was on all the time, even when it wasn't wanted. Kyungsoo squinted, the dorm room momentarily flooded by the yellowy light before he closed the door and hurried down to the bathroom.

Someone was showering at three in the morning. Kyungsoo went to the sink to splash water on his face, the steam from the showers a thick blanket in his nose and throat. 

"Who is it?" the showerer suddenly demanded. The water shut off, the sliding lock of a stall door clicked, and heavy footsteps slapped through puddles on the tile floor. 

"It's Kyungsoo," the cat hybrid stuttered. "DO Kyungsoo."

" ." The speaker looked out from the shower hall. "Soo."

"Kai, what happened?"

Diluted red streaked Jongin's neck and chest, blooming from a patch on his shoulder. His pale hair was crusted over with dried blood, some of which had been wetted and darkened. Soap suds were distributed throughout the flakes. 

"Chase jumped me," Jongin said calmly. "Called me a few names and then I had him running."

"I thought he got suspended," Kyungsoo said, making his way carefully over the wet floor to the showers. 

Jongin ducked back into the shower hall, the portière swishing behind him. "He got back yesterday, I guess. Wish they'd expelled him."

"Why didn't they?"

"He's rich."

"Right. Must be nice to have money."

Jongin stepped out in a pair of wet gym shorts. "Why're you still up?" he asked.

Kyungsoo moved close and wrapped his arms around the taller boy, carefully tucking his tail away from his dripping pants. "Couldn't sleep."

"Was Sehun sleep-talking again?"

"Sehun sleep-talks?"

"Oh yeah."

"Well, no. I just...had trouble sleeping."

Jongin rubbed circles into Kyungsoo's back. "That ."

Kyungsoo purred and nuzzled under Jongin's chin. 

"What're you thinking about now?" the wolf hybrid asked, burying his nose behind Kyungsoo's hair.

Kyungsoo tried to push away the bloodstains and growling in his head. "Nothing."

Jongin pulled away. "Hmm. Well, you smell...pensive."

Kyungsoo cocked an eyebrow. "I smell pensive?"

"Yes." 

Kyungsoo burst out laughing, trying in vain to smother his hopeless giggling and keep it from reverberating in the empty tiled bathroom. 

Jongin gaped, then pouted. "Hey! I'm serious!"

"I'm sure you are."

"No, really," Jongin stuttered, flushing. "It's like...people just smell certain ways to me...like when they're happy they smell sweet, and if they're angry it's a little bitter. Like that."

Kyungsoo pressed his hands flat against Jongin's chest and leaned forward, pushing the taller boy back gently into the nearest shower stall and fumbling behind him to close the latch. "So what do I smell like right now?" he purred, heat gathering in the pit of his stomach.

Jongin swallowed, suddenly feeling more like prey than a predator. "Uh...like, earthy, almost spicy and like...like, uh, sandalwood?"

As he spoke, the small distance between Kyungsoo and Jongin decreased even more, ending with Kyungsoo's face mere centimeters away from Jongin's. "Sandalwood?" he repeated.

Jongin nodded. 

Kyungsoo stared blankly for a few moments, then smiled mischeivously. "I like sandalwood."

He moved in to kiss Jongin, who had begun to lean in at the same time. Their lips met hard, hungry, almost desperate. Jongin's hands moved down around Kyungsoo's waist, pulling the smaller boy's hips into his.

Kyungsoo moaned quietly into Jongin's mouth before breaking away and looking over his shoulder. "Hey," he said, voice an octave deeper. "Is Chanyeol in your room right now?"

Jongin squeezed Kyungsoo's waist softly. "No...what, you want to go?"

Kyungsoo bit his bottom lip and raised an eyebrow. "Can we?"

"Hmm...maybe."

Jongin reveled in the look of utter disappointment Kyungsoo gave him. "Hey!"

"You think I was serious?" Jongin chuckled, leaning down for another peck on the lips. 

"You are so rude!" Kyungsoo poked Jongin furiously in the stomach, and the wolf hybrid grabbed his hands. 

"Now do you think I'll let you get away with that?" Jongin hummed.

Kyungsoo smiled, a challenge. "What're you going to do, poodle?" he demanded.

Jongin feigned anger. "Oh, I'll show you," he said, turning and pinning Kyungsoo against the wall where he was a moment ago.

The thought wouldn't manifest in words, but at that moment, Jongin looked at his boyfriend and felt pure, unadulterated possessiveness. Kyungsoo was there, trapped, and vulnerable, all for him. Only him. And he could do whatever he wanted.

Jongin leaned in.